Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How did you sell your last car?
Dealer/broker 121 23.73%
Individual / via online classifieds 239 46.86%
Exchanged for a new car 139 27.25%
Other 11 2.16%
Voters: 510. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 04:57   #1
BHPian

How did you sell your last vehicle - Dealer / Direct / Exchange?

We TBHP-ians tend to maintain our cars to the best possible condition, which makes it a sweet pre-owned ride for the next owner!

I observed that the average age of ownership of TBHP-ians has been increasing.

Ref 1 (How many years do you drive / own the same car?), 2 (How long do you keep your car?), 3 (Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?).

There are many fantastic articles on the forum about how (ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India) and when to sell an *used* car in India, but not one about 'where' to sell it. I find myself thinking about the same at times.

Please vote based on where did you sell your last car?

Moderators, please change the option of "Individual" to "Individual via Online platform (Olx, CarTrade, etc)" and add another option of "Via word of mouth", I am unable to do so. If not possible, please delete this edit.

Last edited by bansal.sushant : 16th June 2020 at 05:10.
bansal.sushant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 06:47   #2
BHPian

re: How did you sell your last vehicle - Dealer / Direct / Exchange?

I stay in Bangalore and had a TN registered Brio. it was to much of a hassle with the paperwork. I just left it with a agent/dealer and he managed everything.
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 07:26   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice thread ! Of the 3 cars I last sold:

- The 1st-gen City Vtec was sold via the Team-BHP Classifieds, while the 8th-gen Civic was sold via OLX. Admittedly, it was a lot of work and was entirely handled by my team. I wouldn't have the bandwidth to do it myself.

- The Indigo was sold via a workshop cum small broker in the area.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 07:43   #4
BHPian

Out of the 3 cars we sold, Ambassador and Maruti 800 was in the pre-online era and was done via nearby car agent.
The last one was my beloved Zen. Got quotes from Olx, Maruti and from the same agent. Since he knew the car and was aware of its service history with no accidents, was willing to offer a price higher than quoted by other platforms and took care of all the paperworks.
In short, all three went to the same car agent.
Old 16th June 2020, 07:47   #5
BANNED

As all the cars prior to my Creta have been Maruti's at home, it was always sold at Maruti True Value outlet. No hassles as they look after all paperwork stuff and car handling post handover. No running around was required.

And the price we got for the car was deducted from the new cars OTR price.
Old 16th June 2020, 07:50   #6
BHPian

I was thinking of selling the Ritz VDI as it had run close to 95000kms and I know that post 1 lac kms the price drops further. In mid-March dad's friend came home for lunch. He runs a garage. Dad casually mentioned him that we want to sell the Ritz so post lunch he took the car out for a spin. He came back after 45 mins and handed over a cheque of Rs 2.3 lacs and said the car is now mine ! For a 2011 car we thought it was a fair price, especially considering that BS6 norms are here and BS4 cars will see further depreciation. We were also happy that the car was sold to a family friend. Though i must say, I was borderline depressed and sad that entire week. Ritz was my first car and the first costly purchase. The car was pampered and taken care of really well and it served us beautifully. Not once did anything fail, never ever did it kept us stranded. Kudos to Maruti for its reliability and fuss free ownership.
Dieselritzer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 15:41   #7
BHPian

Voted dealer.

My last car sale my Swift Vxi (insert one of the many limited editions) and I pretty much wanted the process to be as hassle free as possible. The main reason being the hassle surrounding the sale of my Bolero around 3-4 months before that. It was a company registered vehicle and I sold it via OLX. I got the price i quoted but then came the headaches. I lost my sleep when I found that I had missed getting a signature on one of the crucial sale forms and if the party whom I knew nothing about except his name and address (from the copy of his ID) could use it for whatever illegal purposes he desires to. Then I had to travel 80 Kms to get to him and get signatures, go to the RTO, submit ownership change documents and pay the fees to get it through fast track counter. In short I lost a day that too at the end of the month when I'm absolutely needed at office. So after that even if the price offered is a little low I choose outlets/reputed brokers just for peace of mind. It's just so hassle free and I get a good nights sleep.
kraken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 15:52   #8
BHPian

Voted Dealer

Exchanged my 2014 Ciaz zxi manul with a 2014 Octavia 1.8 TSI at the mahindra first choice dealership in Delhi.

Got a value of 5.5 lacs on the Ciaz and paid close to 5 lacs more for the octavia with a years warranty.

Kept the Octavia for about 18 months before selling it via olx for around 8 lacs which seems like a fair price since i was the third owner and it had close to 77k kms on the odo.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th June 2020 at 16:13. Reason: Typo.
Old 16th June 2020, 17:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Voted exchanged.

Only 1 car sold/exchanged till now, the Maruti Estilo. Was 8.5 years & 40k kms old. Got 1.7L including exchange bonus of 15k. Checked in cars24 and they were offering similar price but wanted the car instantly. Honda folks were ready to wait till delivery day of new car for handover. Was a smooth hassle-free experience. The new owner even got in touch with me and was pretty happy to know the seat covers (leatherette) and all 4 tyres were just 1 year old. He had paid 1.7L for the car, so guess I got a fair price

I would probably never go for individual sale as RTO hassle is just too much. Had terrible experience while paying road tax & re-registration of the previous car and bike. A few grands less is worth the dough, if it saves me the hassle.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 18:43   #10
BHPian

The 3 cars we've sold till date includes
Premier Padmini which was sold to my dad's friend for 25K back in 2005.
In 2010 we exchanged our 2005 Alto LX(40K kms)to the Suzuki dealer for the Ritz and got 1.7lac.
Last year we sold our 2010 Ritz Vxi(82K kms)for 2.25lac to Hyundai dealership as they quoted the highest value for our car.
All our car selling experiences till date was trouble free. Just for an experiment I had put Ritz advertisement on OLX and had to deal with many people and most of them weren't even serious about it. Overall selling a car to a private dealer/showroom would be a very good choice if you do not have enough time and patience to interact with many individuals and give them test drives.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

I sold my Tata Nano to a family friend by advertising through WhatsApp for weeks. I had to find a taker for my car before I booked my Triber, as the showrooms (Renault, Tata, Cars24) we're all quoting much less than for what I could sell it actually when I did.

And it has been serving the new family well, except for an accident they had, for no fault of the car, on New Year's Eve. More details on the thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4722817 (Tata Nano Twist XT: 4-year ownership report)
Old 16th June 2020, 21:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Always exchanged the car from the dealer I am buying a new car. This saves hassles of paperwork formalities, cash transfer and other issues. Experience has always been seamless.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 21:14   #13
Team-BHP Support

For me
Peugeot 309 - Classified in local paper
Tata Sierra - dodgy dealer
Maruti Zen - word of mouth sale
Maruti 800 - Maruti exchange for Swift - was the best price
Honda City - found someone on Orkut (remember that - I spent a minute figuring it out)
Skoda Octavia vRS - Carwale
Honda City CVT - Carwale
Maruti Swift - TeamBHP Classifieds
Hyundai Getz - TeamBHP Classifieds
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:03   #14
BHPian

Re: How did you sell your last vehicle - Dealer / Direct / Exchange?

I voted for Dealer/broker but in reality I should have chosen "Exchanged for a new car".

All of my cars were exchanged and I mostly received peanuts in comparison to what I would have got through an individual buyer. Car negotiations have not always been my forte and I'm currently honing my skills reading the experiences in the negotiation thread in this forum.

Last edited by JojyKerala : 17th June 2020 at 10:05.
Old 17th June 2020, 10:28   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: How did you sell your last vehicle - Dealer / Direct / Exchange?

Omni - Sold to a known person
Ikon - Sold to a mechanic
Swift - Stolen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks