Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How did you sell your last car?
Dealer/broker 121 23.73%
Individual / via online classifieds 239 46.86%
Exchanged for a new car 139 27.25%
Other 11 2.16%
Voters: 510. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 00:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: How did you sell your last vehicle - Dealer / Direct / Exchange?

Sold 4 cars directly to buyers till date including my father's and got the price I asked for.

8yr old Maruti 800 5 speed MPFI - sold to a friend of my friend.

5 yr old Santro Zing - Team-Bhp classifieds

6 year old Maruti Swift VDI - 1.63 lakhs kms - sold via Quickr.

3 year old Polo GT TDI - 90.000 kms - sold via OLX

All the cars held their resale value very well getting upwards of 50% of their cost price.

One aspect of selling it yourself is that you got to be patient. However the Swift and the Polo literally got sold in under a week. All my cars put some decent mileage in a few years but I always felt that people are willing to pay a premium for a well maintained car. For cars with heavy mileage a glance at the interiors will tell you how the car has been treated.

Also be transparent. I make it a practice to share my T-BHP ownership thread in the ads. I feel these points have usually helped.

Dealers offer attrocious prices for high mileage cars no matter how well they are maintained.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 01:07   #62
BHPian

Nice thread

Below are the vehicles we sold and the mode of selling.
(Also have added the good and the bad part of the sale we encountered)

1. Omni (2000 make) : Exchanged for a new Omni
After 15 years of usage, it was later being used as a beater car and for local and farm runs.
Only a new Omni was the right replacement for our old Omni.
Hence we went with exchange route in 2016.

The good : Ease of sale and transferring and good exchange bonus.
The bad : Needed multiple followup and re-valuation of old car with the dealership, to arrive at a nominal price.

2. Santro (2007 make) : Word of mouth sale, to a known person
My father wanted to exchange it for an Ertiga.
But one of the known drivers, who used to visit our business place, showed an interest to buy.
So my father, as a goodwill sold it for a very nominal price.

The good : Car went to a known person. No issues with fund transfers.
The bad : Documentation and RC transfer took some time.

3. Omni 2 (2016 make) : Word of mouth sale, to a relative
With the Ertiga around, the useage of Omni had reduced drastically.
One of our relatives showed interest and bought it instantly.

The good : Peace of mind, since the car went to one of our relatives.
No issues with fund transfers and RC transfer.
The bad : Couldn't discuss/force for a better price, since buyer was a relative. Hence as a good gesture we had to settle down for a nominal price.

4. i20 petrol (2000 make) : Word of mouth sale, to a known person (friend's relative)
My father's friend works in Hyundai showroom and he knew how well kept our i20 was and knew the complete history of the car.
This was one of the easiest sale I have ever witnessed or was a part of.
One fine day I told my father's friend, I'm selling my i20.
He immediately asked me to send the pics, details and expected price, since his relative was looking for a car.
Next day his relative came to my hometown.
(He had already verified all service history and details).
We all catched up for a coffee. He test drove the car, had a small discussion and transferred 80% amount immediately. And remaining 20% in a week.

The good : Quick sale. Immediate amount settlement.
Peace of mind since the buyer was a known person.
The bad : Had to agree for 20k less price, than my expected price.
RC transfer took some time, because of some mis communication between us.
(Just to be safe, the car was kept without usage for a month, at friend's place, until the transfer process was completed)

Last edited by DLC5005 : 18th June 2020 at 01:17.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:58   #63
Team-BHP Support

Of the cars we've sold:

1) Maruti 800 - sold to an individual (dad's colleague)
2) Opel Corsa - sold to an individual through OLX (had to dump this car real quick since I was traveling overseas and this car was a white elephant)
3) Maruti Zen - exchanged at Hyundai dealer while buying the i20
4) Honda City - sold at Cars24 (again, a compromise to sell it there given Covid)

Going forward, we'd prefer exchanging the car (if buying a new one) or selling it to Cars24-like dealers so paperwork and logistics are at a minimum. The lower selling price is often worth the convenience.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:02   #64
BHPian

Sold a Maruti 800 LXI IN 2012 through company classifieds, got some irritating responses but managed to see it, the buyer came with a guy who had some clout with RTO everything was managed smoothly

Sold elite i20 at cars24 after going through hell trying to see on OLX, Toyota etc big pain, so many test drives so many almost finalisations but just didnt end up finalising it, in the end went to cars24, the first auction didnt fetch the price I was looking for, I asked for a re-auction got the price I wanted and money came within 2 hours, the RC transfer etc was handled by them and was very smooth.

I had sold the car in 2018, sometime later than the techie from whitefield went missing while trying to sell his craze car, I always had a rule to never take the car outside of our gated community when going for a test ride, one evening around 4 people came to see the car, my sixth sense was they were criminals, their dressing and way they were talking, they came from hoskote, I asked the main guy what does he do, he says laundry!! It was a harrowing one hour with them, didn't let them even take a test ride, I didn't want to be rude to them based on their background so explained the details of the car while always being alert to what all the 4 guys were doing every time, it was very very scary.
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 10:11   #65
BHPian

Sold the Premier Padmini in 1997 to a taxi driver at almost scrap value. Then, 'sold' the Maruti 800 after using it for eleven years to my first cousin at no cost. Later, sold the Ritz (used for ten years) to my uncle for a token amount. The only vehicle that I have actually sold to an unknown person has been the Bolero, to an acquaintance of an acquaintance actually. He paid the same price as I had quoted on a car portal.
Old 18th June 2020, 12:17   #66
BHPian

Hero Puch, Splendor, Zen & Santro were sold to a dealier I had approached, they took care of the documentation.

Scorpio, the buyer's dealer had approached me (he heard from his network that I was selling my Scorpio) and he took care of all the documentation.

While I would say I got a satisfactory resale price for the first 4, the Scorpio was bad as it was a 4x4 and especially AT and no one wanted an AT.
Old 18th June 2020, 13:08   #67
BHPian

Voted Individual

We sold our last car, a Maruti 800 (after using it for 14 years) to our next door neighbor and our last scooter (Kinetic) to someone known to my Dad.
Old 18th June 2020, 13:37   #68

Irrespective of how one sells their car, what is of paramount importance is that the ownership is transferred to the buyer ASAP.

In an accident case in Juhu, Mumbai the courts ruled that though the vehicle was sold to the guilty driver 3 years back, the RC book showed the seller as the current owner and hence he must be imprisoned.

Take away is that big brand dealers and brokers may not give you anywhere near the fair value of your used car but at least they can be held accountable if the paper work is not done correctly.
Old 18th June 2020, 16:16   #69
BHPian

I prefer to sell to an individual buyer. Yes, it is an effort to advertise, talk to different people, arrange for test drives and then close the deal. I find that exchange and dealers quote at least 1 lac less for the old car. for a 1 lac difference i can spend a couple of days. Plus am told that if we leave the car with dealers; they remove the expensive genuine parts. My cars are owner driven, always serviced only at company showrooms on a timely basis, much loved and having full insurance, hence I want a decent price for them.

Maruti Omni - 3 years (in 1998 or thereabouts): was sold thru my neighbour then; cant remember paperwork; got basics signed with no name etc; got a decent price. got scolded by my uncle for being careless about documentation (being a lawyer) since if car is not transferred and it meets with an accident then I will still be responsible. I think it went to some village and I never heard about it again.

Maruti Esteem - sold around 2008 - dealer offered 85-90k; i sold it for 1.x lacs; owned for 9 years (had a new car for 3 years already; was keeping in case mom requires it; but she never used it). sold to an individual (who wanted to flip it); i insisted that I wont hand over car until transferred paperwork was received. received full payment and then handed over originals; visited Yeshwantpur and Jayanagar RTO to close the deal and hand over the car.

Honda City (AHNC) : sold in 2016 owned for 9 years. dealer offered 1.75 lacs; i got 2.xx lacs (had another car for a year before I sold it). sold to individual buyer. same as above. buyer first agreed to take it after transfer and then wanted car before transfer since it was for his wife who was pregnant and needed a safe drive (and we had common connections who vouched for the buyer). I took a deposit of Rs. 25,000 from him which I said was valid for 1 month; when he got the car transferred (within a few days), I paid him back the deposit. Also took full indemnity from him on a stamped document in front of a notary. Visited Yeshwantpur RTO for NOC

the kind of calls that we get once we advertise are quite funny and interesting. I wanted to sell AHNC for 3.xx lacs and one guy calls up and tells me confidently; i will give 1.5 lacs cash down; and I was like in which part of the ad do you see that this is a distress sale? btw, i got some team-bhp members who test drove the Esteem and my experience was not so great; they had a know-it-all attitude and were simply racing the engine on a crowded street for no reason and also were trying to low-ball me on the price (guess they wanted to flip it)

PS : Guess with the experience of the poor guy who disappeared, will have to be more careful next time. I am careful; always call them to the home or the office and always try to get a family member / colleague to accompany on the test drive. If someone cant go i inform someone the name and phone number of the person at least.

Last edited by Wheeliej : 18th June 2020 at 16:29.
Old 18th June 2020, 16:18   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroleus View Post
Irrespective of how one sells their car, what is of paramount importance is that the ownership is transferred to the buyer ASAP.

In an accident case in Juhu, Mumbai the courts ruled that though the vehicle was sold to the guilty driver 3 years back, the RC book showed the seller as the current owner and hence he must be imprisoned.

Take away is that big brand dealers and brokers may not give you anywhere near the fair value of your used car but at least they can be held accountable if the paper work is not done correctly.
I doubt that the dealers can be held accountable.
Old 18th June 2020, 17:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Have sold 2 of my cars as well as one for my cousin and all to private buyers via online classifieds. I feel one can get the best price via this route.

I pride myself in the way I maintain my cars and this gets lost when selling to a dealer or going in for an exchange. A private buyer will appreciate the condition better and will gladly offer a better price.

Document transfer remains the biggest concern when selling to an individual, but luckily this has worked out well for me. On my part, I mail a copy of the signed Form 28 with delivery note to the RTO via registered post.

On the other hand my parents have used Cars 24 and are super happy with the convenience it come with even if it means you get 20-25k less.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 18th June 2020 at 17:30.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 18:05   #72
BHPian

Have sold my past 05 cars, to dealerships, online classified's and Exchanged for a new car.

1. Santro GL, My first car : Sold to a Hyundai Dealer, (bought for 3.6 lacs, used for 5 years sold for 2 lacs)
2. Dzire Zdi : Sold to an Individual, OLX, (bought for 8 lacs, used for 3 years sold for 6 lacs)
3. I10 Asta : Sold to an Individual, OLX (bought a preowned for 3.4 lacs, used for 3 years sold for 2.75 lacs)
4. Brezza ZDI+ : Sold to an Individual, OLX (bought for 11.5 lacs, used for 11 months sold for 10 lacs)
5. Alto Lxi : Exchanged for a new car at the dealership (bought for 3.2 lacs, used for 12 years sold for 1 lac)

As a newbie I had no previous experience in selling cars, for my first car, I took no chances and sold my Santro to Hyundai Promise.

And the last car Alto, which was 12 years and 6 months old, got a good value of the car and exchange bonus at a Maruti Suzuki dealership for my Brezza ZDI+ AGS.
smileline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 18:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

Voted Individual. I sold my last car i20 to a private buyer. I had to relocate to a different country in 2015 and my cousin handled all the selling stuff. It was sold to an individual in a rural area near my hometown Mangalore and it was a hassle free experience. My cousin just mailed me some transfer document which I had to sign (I don't exactly remember what form it was. It was downloaded from the RTO website). He then handled all the negotiation and the car was sold within 3-4 days for a good amount. My cousin also ensured that the new owner transferred the car to his name. It was a complete hassle free experience for both the buyer and the seller. Since it's a small town, my cousin still spots my old car every now and then. I'm glad to hear from him that the new owner has maintained the car in an immaculate condition

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 18th June 2020 at 18:23.
Old 18th June 2020, 20:10   #74
BHPian

I have sold 3 of my previous cars:
1st (Palio Stile) to Individual,
2nd car was Palio Stile MJD sold to dealer in exchange.
3rd car was Punto Evo sold to individual

While selling to individuals, i have seen wide variation in the price being quoted. For my 3rd car i have had offers from 1.6L to 3.5L! no guess which one i took :-)

With dealer, i got almost similar quote (around 1.6 - 1.9L) for Palio Stile MJD with 98K on the odo and white smoke from the engine! In the parivahan portal the car still shows in my name even though i had done all documentation while handing over the car to the dealer.

cars24 was the worst offered 1.3L for a 2 year old car!

I would prefer to stick with selling to individuals even though it will take time to find a genuine buyer! They usually get the RC transferred quickly as well.

Last edited by ant_vas : 18th June 2020 at 20:12. Reason: added details about RC transfer
ant_vas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 21:41   #75
BHPian

My last vehicle sold was a 2015 Polo GT Tsi, we were swapping it out for a VW Tiguan so the first course of action which would make sense is to go to the dealer and value the car as they were offering a 1L "loyalty" incentive. However, they severely undervalued the car even including the loyalty bonus, so I decided to go try out Cars24. That was a much better experience than I ever imagined haha! They gave me an incredible offer which I pounced on.

Note: I would have sold it online but it's RC had been misplaced by the VW service center and it was too much of a pain to get a new one organized especially considering the time crunch.
ParthVyas777 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks