Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 00:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by niruvrs9669 View Post
Did someone mention about unlimited mileage for 6 yrs package being offered by BMW ?
BMW India does not offer any BSI package with Unlimited Kms.

Maximum possible capped at 10 years/2,00,000 Kms. Go for it.
Old 19th May 2021, 00:12   #47
BANNED

re: BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Contrary to your perception, dealerships earn by doing more warranty or maintenance work. It doesn’t matter if it’s under BRI/ BSI or customer pays. They will get the money only if work is done. Over here in North, dealerships usually tend to ask vehicles for a thorough check before warranties are expiring.
That is great to know. I recently went for the first service of X1 here at the BMW dealer in Ludhiana and with just 5000 kms on the odo and around 16 months of age, they did not want to change the air filter under the BSI plus that I have. Only oil service was done essentially.
Also with me exceeding their 12 month timeline (and the iDrive reminder) they asked me to sign a waiver stating that it was my fault to miss scheduled service and i would be responsible for any engine damage. I told them clearly the reason for the delay (Pandemic and my parents were not comfortable stepping out at the time), but they did not budge.
Now the issue i face is the next service will also be around 1 year later, and subsequently the 3rd service will be due only after the BSI plus expires. What do you suggest should be done to utilise the BSI plus properly? And how has been your experience with Krishna autos with regards to BSI ?
Cheers
Old 19th May 2021, 07:04   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I recently went for the first service of X1 here at the BMW dealer in Ludhiana and with just 5000 kms on the odo and around 16 months of age, they did not want to change the air filter under the BSI plus that I have.

Oh, given your low mileage you should not have taken the package. It must be because of super low mileage, that they have not replaced the air conditioner filter and rightly so.

Regarding oil change interval, they do take this seriously but since your mileage is very less it should not be an issue, should anything happen.

Quote:
Now the issue i face is the next service will also be around 1 year later, and subsequently the 3rd service will be due only after the BSI plus expires. What do you suggest should be done to utilise the BSI plus properly?
Drive more so that the second service comes before the 12 months
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 08:19   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding oil change interval, they do take this seriously but since your mileage is very less it should not be an issue, should anything happen.

My 330i Sport's first service is coming up in mid-June and I am thankful that the KA/BLR lockdown will get lifted by ~ 7-10 June , and allow me carry out the service exactly on schedule. Done only 9K this year but am happy as others have done far less, and the CBS was also showing a required service at 10K km.

Given the uncertainty around 2021-22 with the third wave almost 'confirmed' in KA sometime in the September-December time period, I will buy the 3Y/40K km Service Basic package for now for around 46K. This covers the basic oil service & replacement & essential filters only. Wheel alignment and balancing I will do outside later.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 08:31   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I will buy the 3Y/40K km Service Basic package for now for around 46K. This covers the basic oil service & replacement & essential filters only.
That makes sense. There was a package that starts from the day you buy and not from the day of sale of the car. I hope you are considering the same as it technically covers 4 Years (3 years from now)
Quote:
Wheel alignment and balancing I will do outside later.
Contrary to the views of others, I never touch alignment or balancing on any of my cars until there are any visible symptoms like pull or imbalance which normally does not happen unless you hit something. Best is to keep the factory settings as long as possible

If the tyres are not staggered, rotation is something I will do at service but no balancing.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 08:37   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That makes sense. There was a package that starts from the day you buy and not from the day of sale of the car. I hope you are considering the same as it technically covers 4 Years (3 years from now)

Best is to keep the factory settings as long as possible
Attached is the package I have been shared with as of now. It says on the top right, "The package commences at the vehicle‘s defined warranty start date and at “Zero Kilometre's".

I'm still unclear about the validity & commencement date. Will check with them if I can now during lockdown.

Thank you, Turbanator for the very sound advice. There is nothing wrong with the alignment or balancing but I will need to go to a reputed tyre shop in BLR anyway for that rear LHS RFT replacement. Will fit the new tyre(s) at the back of course.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BSI+R PRICE 330i.pdf (304.6 KB, 380 views)
Old 19th May 2021, 08:52   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It says on the top right, "The package commences at the vehicle‘s defined warranty start date and at “Zero Kilometre's".
No, you should ask for a different one. This will start back dated. There are maintenance packages that you can buy anytime, and the start date will be the day you buy. Your local dealership can share the info. if you specifically ask.

Quote:
Will fit the new tyre(s) at the back of course.
If you are changing the tyres, new ones must be balanced but dont touch the alignment if there is no abnormal wear (slight off is ok). To me, nothing beats the factory settings
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 10:37   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Oh, given your low mileage you should not have taken the package. It must be because of super low mileage, that they have not replaced the air conditioner filter and rightly so.

Thanks but the BSI package was anyway part of the deal when we bought the car. Any idea if we can change a BSI plus package to a BSI (regular) package of longer period?
Because the way my running is, I'm highly unlikely to need brake pads/ discs within the 3 year mark. Only thing i did get replaced under BSI plus was the rear wiper. (cost some absurd 3-4k otherwise).
Old 19th May 2021, 10:44   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but the BSI package was anyway part of the deal when we bought the car. Any idea if we can change a BSI plus package to a BSI (regular) package of longer period?
Because the way my running is, I'm highly unlikely to need brake pads/ discs within the 3 year mark. Only thing i did get replaced under BSI plus was the rear wiper. (cost some absurd 3-4k otherwise).
I'll let Turbanator weigh in of course but as far as I know, BMW Service only allows upgrades to existing plans, and will first collect the difference (i.e. no premium is added) between your current and the proposed-for plan. They will neither refund you for downgraded plans nor allow extension of an existing plan unless you pay the difference first.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 10:49   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea if we can change a BSI plus package to a BSI (regular) package of longer period?
Quote:
BMW Service only allows upgrades to existing plans.

Correct -

The only way to use the pack, is to drive more
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 11:35   #56
BANNED

Quote:
I'll let Turbanator weigh in of course but as far as I know, BMW Service only allows upgrades to existing plans, and will first collect the difference (i.e. no premium is added) between your current and the proposed-for plan. They will neither refund you for downgraded plans nor allow extension of an existing plan unless you pay the difference first.
Yes,i know the difference would need to be paid but can i upgrade from a 3yr BSI plus plan to a 5 or 6 yr BSI plan? The price difference isn't much but it would cover me for longer.
Old 19th May 2021, 11:57   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes,i know the difference would need to be paid but can i upgrade from a 3yr BSI plus plan to a 5 or 6 yr BSI plan? The price difference isn't much but it would cover me for longer.
Very much possible by paying the difference. I also plan to do just that based on my usage, after COVID-19 clears up (hopefully).

Quote:
No, you should ask for a different one. This will start back dated. There are maintenance packages that you can buy anytime, and the start date will be the day you buy. Your local dealership can share the info. if you specifically ask.
Turbanator, this is the used car package for the G20 3 Series. The rates are much higher than the new car package. Cannot see the rationale in opting for this. Any thoughts please?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3 ser.pdf (90.9 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th May 2021 at 13:15. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Thank you!
Old 19th May 2021, 13:08   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
can i upgrade from a 3yr BSI plus plan to a 5 or 6 yr BSI plan? The price difference isn't much but it would cover me for longer.
No, you cannot downgrade. So, even at the expiry of 3 years, you will have to either go for a BSI Plus or get a used car pack. This is as per current policy to the best of my knowledge. You can speak to the local dealership and get a confirmation.

Quote:
The rates are much higher than the new car package. Cannot see the rationale in opting for this.
Looks they have the same prices for Petrol & Diesel in a used car, the only rationale being that you can pay regular service expenses, Oil & Filter and maybe at around 3rd Year or a little early, when the car needs more parts like AC Filter, Brake/ Rotors, you can buy the Service inclusive pack. But you have to be very vigilant when they give you estimates as they replace everything even if not mandatory if the customer has to pay. Another advantage for paying self is that you can go for One litre Oil Bottles (you have to demand for this!) that are with imported oil unlike BSI pack where they will use local Castrol oil from a large container
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:13   #59

Reading all these threads about BSI and BRI and from my own experience, real need for warranty arises after 3rd year or 4th year depending upon usage.

My previous 3 series never had any issue in 4 years of usage although my usage was lower than 8000km per year. And I discontinued warranty after 3rd year as I intended to sell it soon. I replaced it with X1 due to higher seating.

However I have doubts about definition of "extension" of warranty from the start of purchase of car (called Day 0) or from the date of extension - i.e. is it incremental or is it cumulative? I think its cumulative.

I have done 18000 km on My X1 and i received a quote of 40120 for 4th year/200K km and 109858 for 5th year /200Km for extension of my 3 year warranty. The question is , has corona lockdown and stationery car for longer durations (car has been driven only 1500 km in 8 months during lockdowns) may have affected any parts (The car is normally parked in the basement and may have higher humidity than in open areas?). I intend to take 4th year warranty to start with but since I intend to keep the car for a longer period, wondering if I should extend it till 5th year.

Also looks like BSI may not be helpful if I drive it 7000-8000 km per year in next 2-3 years (which is my normal driving range unless lockdowns affect this). would like expert views on this as many parts start deteriorating after 4th year.

Thanks

Also
Old 24th August 2021, 11:35   #60
BHPian

Im looking at buying a new 330i. Was wondering what the consensus is on BSI and BRI packages? Are they value for money? I would be doing 10k kms a year in Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks