Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Renault Duster today?
Yes 225 40.76%
No 327 59.24%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2020, 09:36   #46
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Renault Duster

Voted Yes!

I am using a pre owned Duster AWD since 2017 which was a little over 2 years old and 33k on the odo when i bought it. It came with almost 2 years of company warranty as well.

There is nothing that beats it in terms of vfm. It is a true workhorse which just keeps going!
True, there were some niggles like leaking shocks but still its worth every penny.

I also got it remapped in 2018 and its been going good so far, have clocked around 90k on the odo..
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 16:21   #47
GwD
BHPian

Voted Yes.

It can be a trusted and reliable workhorse for years to come. However, finding one in the right condition that I am looking for may be quite difficult.
Old 30th June 2020, 11:11   #48
BHPian

Voted yes

considerations
1. AWD - Go anywhere tourer
2. Superb ride and handling
3. Value for money (Used car depreciation)

Interiors can always be improved by adding after market accesories
Old 30th June 2020, 12:17   #49
BHPian

Voted NO!

Why?
1. No offence to any owners, but the car doesn't feel like a 15 Lakh rupees car from inside. It is not even average.
2. Renault Service, even in Mumbai, has problems. Part availability being the biggest issue.
3. I have driven the Diesel 85ps extensively and the ergonomics in the initial version was absolutely botched up.
4. Peace of mind is a must for me and long term ownership of Renault is a doubt. However, their recent launches have done some good for their image in India.

Not a direct comparison, but I would live with a Skoda Rapid/VW Vento in today's time than a Duster.
Old 30th June 2020, 12:17   #50
BHPian

Personally, I was always turned off by the interiors. It was one of the major reasons that we chose Ciaz over the duster in 2016. I loved the R&H esp of the AWD variant but man even bolero seemed to have better interiors!
Old 30th June 2020, 12:28   #51
BHPian

Voted a YES !!

I guess most of the people who voted NO, never owned a Duster, at max, might have taken a test drive.

For sure you can't fall in love at first sight with Duster (may be yes in 2012), this is not a bollywood diva like Cretas/Seltos, you will appreciate the compatibility only when you live together

I have owned Maruti's, Ford's, Hyundai's, Nissan Terrano and now a Duster. Yes, interiors of Duster is a let down, but it gives me everything I want in not so presentable format. There are many important comforts and qualities which makes me forget interiors.

Some people say one should buy Duster for driving on bad roads, where do we have great roads in Indian cities? I don't see in Bangalore atleast, so I am not worried about roads anymore with Duster. Moreover my AMT is a boon for Bangalore traffic.

Its wrong to expect people to own a vehicle to write reviews, but reviews without long term and exhaustive driving experience may not do full justice either, may bias others' opinion as well.

In our Dustorians group, there are many Dusters crossed 2-3 lakhs kms and still running like new.

LOVE DUSTER LIVE DUSTER

Last edited by hummer : 30th June 2020 at 12:38.
hummer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:42   #52
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Why not, if I could find a well maintained AWD variant for a mouth watering price. I have driven a few of them owned by my friends. The ride is so comfortable and it can take you to places. Even the regular 2W drive is more than capable of doing country/no roads. I remember, on a test drive, the sales executive insisting on taking speed breakers at higher speeds, and it handled the shock very well.

For the size, it (the Diesel variant) has an amazing fuel economy in the city and one needs to just slowdown to cruise over speed beakers and broken/no roads. In my Rapid with Michelin XM2s, I cannot afford that luxury.

The interiors are dated, so are the interiors of Rapid, in my opinion. It just needs some modifications to suit my needs and that is it.
Fan@Automotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 13:26   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
Voted a YES !!
I guess most of the people who voted NO, never owned a Duster, at max, might have taken a test drive.
Exactly!
You need to own one to understand the vehicle. I had a love-hate relationship with my Duster as I had picked up an abused vehicle from the first batch. It was a 2012 RXZ which I got in 2017 and I had to fix many small niggles in first few months.

Apart from the niggles, the car was a beast. I did almost 50,000 km in 1.5 years and used to do 100 km every week day for office runs. Took the car almost everywhere and never felt I made a wrong choice. The power, suspension and the size makes it a very competent vehicle on Indian roads.

I loved the car so much that I helped a friend get a 2016 adventure edition after that.

Quote:
In our Dustorians group, there are many Dusters crossed 2-3 lakhs kms and still running like new.

LOVE DUSTER LIVE DUSTER
When I sold mine, it had done 1,97,000 and was fixed up to do another 1 lakh without major maintenance.

The only gripe I had with it was that it felt less powerful sometimes, I did a lot on highway trips and felt the car was a bit restricted power wise.
turbowhistle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 15:54   #54
BHPian

Voted a Yes.

I own an AWD since more than 2 years. I am enjoying the ride quality and don't need to worry about roads anymore. I drove from BLR to Bhutan and back in 2017 and absolutely loved the car. Low gear ratios make it very easy to put the power down on mountain roads. And the 6th gear is very good for the highways. We reached back our home in BLR after the Bhutan journey of 6000km at 330pm, and my 5 year old went out to play at 4pm with his cricket bat. I was surprised to see that he seemed to have no fatigue despite so much continuous travel. Says something about the ride quality doesn't it? From a driving dynamics point of view it is very well sorted.

The interior is not at all impressive, but I can live with that. The ASS has been OK so far.

I think regardless of brand ASS depends on which dealer you deal with and your luck. I used to own a Hyundai earlier.
The NVH is another sore area and the only negative that bothers me.

Infact the clutch is quite light in the AWD ( I used to get knee pain on long drives >500KM on my i10!) .
If you really want to explore in comfort and don't intend to do hard core offroading, Duster is surely one of the only options.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th June 2020 at 16:26. Reason: Spacing out post.
Memnon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 16:24   #55
BHPian

A big YES! I've Driven My 2015 85 PS RxL for 210k km in less than 5 years (200k in 4.5 years actually) and the car has been phenomenal to say the least. A workhorse can take a ton of abuse without resting (I never slow down for speed breakers or potholes and mostly travel bad village roads) its spacious has loads of boot space and OEM spares are super cheap.

Interiors and features are average but then the duster is not a beauty queen its a macho workhorse and it has all the basics covered. In 2015 it was the only SUV where even the base versions had a rear wash and wipe (how surprising of the miser Renault!)

Having said that the Duster I would buy would be Top-spec AWD PRE-WORSHIPPED, would go for a custom tune (Takes power to 140 BHP plus) and hit the exploratory road. And i have this plan in the near future-prices are already tempting and they are gonna get even juicier!
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Renault Duster-20200617_113117.jpg  

Last edited by mh09ad5578 : 30th June 2020 at 16:27.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:33   #56
BHPian

Voted No.

Duster is best to be owned new and would stay away from a pre- owned car. A very close friend of mine has an AWD Duster and with just 60k on the odometer, there are multiple issues related to maintenance with frequent wear-out of brake pads, issues with the clutch system that need replacement to a tune of 1 lac INR.
Old 30th June 2020, 19:59   #57
BHPian

I had a bad experience with duster.
I bought duster CVT before lockdown and sold it immediately after lockdown. CVT is very slow to respond and FE is below 7 kmpl. Well, I don't know why I bought it in the first place.
In comparison, creta CVT or IVT was much much better to drive.
anandkumargb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 21:55   #58
BANNED

Voted YES.
The Duster is a rugged and extremely reliable vehicle. The suspension is beyond compare in the segment, the GC is the best, the Engine is capable of at least 6-7 lakh km easily ( I have traveled in Cabs that have reached that number).

If you are someone who, like me, is not into gadgetry and gimmickry, it is a fabulous choice for extensive driving. It is very carlike in its driving and is a solid choice for heavy use. As GTO says tour the country in it.

It is not a car for owners who under utilise and over photograph their vehicles.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 23:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
I had a bad experience with duster.

In comparison, creta CVT or IVT was much much better to drive.
But, Creta didn't have a CVT in earlier avatar. Unless you are referring to new Creta CVT. But new Creta CVT wasn't out until maybe May end or so. At least the CVt variant. Am I missing something here?
Old 30th June 2020, 23:23   #60
BHPian

Voted No, because mainly because of the dated design, quality of interiors, injector issues.
Still I feel that this was one of the initial cars which gave birth to this new segment of compact SUVs. Secondly the ride quality was something I liked a lot (being used to a Safari Dicor 2.2) and despite its compact size and small engine the AWD variant was pretty capable offroad, where none of the modern so called SUVs can take you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks