Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2020, 18:26   #46
BHPian

Re: Mumbai: Crossing 2 km radius could get your vehicle seized

Apart from the ridiculous no warning + mind numbing rule which seems to be the fav way to implement policies by gov (state and central)... impounding cars/motorcycles when there is no public transport available during Covid times is a cruel measure.

The gov should instead use all this energy in testing as many people as possible and implementing the social distancing measures. Restricting movement and impounding primary means of transport will only create a bigger mess than we see now.

I know the situation in Bombay is critical and we need to do more. Testing and spreading common sense measures is the best weapon in our arsenal and not lathi charge or impounding private property with no notice.
click is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 18:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
The gov should instead use all this energy in testing as many people as possible and implementing the social distancing measures. Restricting movement and impounding primary means of transport will only create a bigger mess than we see now.
We all saw what social distancing was followed when liquor shops opened up for the first time. If the police had lathicharged, would you have supported them ? On that note, I would like to point that the unfortunate Minneapolis incident happened much later than March. Otherwise the incidents of police punishing violators in India would have unnecessarily raised a hue and cry.

A lot of the responsibility lies with us. Speaking of Pune, when I go to a grocery store, I still observe people sneaking up behind me to ask for stuff, sometimes without wearing masks. And they come to the store in their sedans and SUVs. I see so many youngsters hanging around in close proximity in places like Kothrud (mostly upper middle class societies), having snacks and tea/coffee or just generally chit chatting, without wearing masks.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 19:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
We all saw what social distancing was followed when liquor shops opened up for the first time. If the police had lathicharged, would you have supported them ? On that note, I would like to point that the unfortunate Minneapolis incident happened much later than March. Otherwise the incidents of police punishing violators in India would have unnecessarily raised a hue and cry.

A lot of the responsibility lies with us. Speaking of Pune, when I go to a grocery store, I still observe people sneaking up behind me to ask for stuff, sometimes without wearing masks. And they come to the store in their sedans and SUVs. I see so many youngsters hanging around in close proximity in places like Kothrud (mostly upper middle class societies), having snacks and tea/coffee or just generally chit chatting, without wearing masks.
No I dont support Lathi charge on citizens under any circumstances. It is ineffective, cruel practice which has stuck with us since the British raj times.

I agree the responsibility lies with us and that's why gov needs to do more in terms of educating and implementing social distancing. Kerela itself is an excellent role model on how to make people part of the solution and not the problem otherwise it gives rise to situations like police vs citizens in US.

We need better mechanisms to educate and enforce...more importantly use the lockdown time to test everyone. That is the fastest way to open up the economy locally.

Last edited by click : 29th June 2020 at 19:03.
click is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 21:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Just finding new ways to make people SUFFER. Since bars / restaurants / pubs are shut, drink-n-drive INCOME has drastically reduced. This is now the new source of INCOME.

Source - TOI
I honestly find this post offensive.I'm not a cop and I dont say they are clean. I have had my share of disagreements with them.

But right now they are tired, scared. Their barracks and stations are corona hotspots. All of them have lost their colleagues and friends to this disease and yet they go out there and enforce an unpopular lockdown in this insane Mumbai heat while most of us relax in our air conditioners.
redeff is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 22:26   #50
BHPian

I am a bit late responding to the thread but since this post is on the first page, I cannot stop myself from replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
How does people going for drives lead to the spread of Covid?
You don't drive to just be on the road. There is always a destination. The more the distance allowed, the more will be people traveling to different parts of the city which increases the risk of infection. Isn't the purpose of lockdown was to restrict the movement?

Quote:
And why should people who live in neighborhoods which lack quality shopping within 2 km be forced to shop at only their local stores? Or people who live in congested areas be prevented from going to greener parts of town for a run?
One needs to prioritize whether to adjust with some exercise routine or favorite grocery or to spend time in hospitals and isolation wards. This is not normal times, we should be ready to let go of things that are not essential.

Quote:
Frankly, our cops and government servants are using Covid as an excuse to impose stupid rules and to bully ordinary citizens. Agree on the need for maintaining social distancing and using masks in public places. But instead of acting against those who violate these rules, our cops want to impose unjustified restrictions on people.
The government is helpless and trying every permutation and combination to save lives. I don't think there is any intention to bully someone. Catch individual efforts needs manpower which either is less or already tired of working continuously for the last couple of months.

The distance can be debated to be 2 KM or more but the intention cannot.
grevvity is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 23:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
I honestly find this post offensive.I'm not a cop and I dont say they are clean. I have had my share of disagreements with them.
I have nothing against the cops. There will always be good cops and bad cops. I salute them for all the hard work they are doing.

Just spoke to a friend some time back and he was stopped today and questioned during checking. He works in accounts dept. of a company and his boss had called him to office for some time as it's month end and salary had to be disbursed.

He is very young and looks like a college going lad. He was just wearing denim, t-shirt and sandals, and cops argued that no one goes to office in such an attire and he was lying. They let him go after checking his business card and home address. He was told that henceforth he should keep company LETTERHEAD saying that "so and so" person , residing at " so and so" place is our employee and he travels by his personal vehicle to work. So now, all will have to carry letterhead with them. And with thousands of cars on road, how many cops are going to read the LETTERHEAD?

I'm against this stupid 2 km RULE and the traffic mess that happened today on Bombay Roads.

Just imagine an infected person travelling by bus to a Marine Drive, or Juhu beach, enjoying and returning home by bus, infecting a few people in that time.
And then myself travelling in my personal car, taking all precautions to avoid crowd, not being a threat to anyone, only to get my car impounded ?

And with monsoon setting in, all the more people with use personal vehicles because public transport usually goes for a toss.

Again its the Stupid RULES that I am against and harassment that my friend faced today.
RM Motorsports is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 07:34   #52
BHPian

While the 2km rule may have its controversies, the fact is most humans are monumental morons (no wonder the Earth is in such a bad shape).

Yesterday I saw a bunch of 11 youngsters in a Juhu lane, without masks, meeting, hanging out, hugging, some even sharing a cigarette. Though statistically they may feel confident of surviving this virus, they may become asymptomatic carriers and infect their seniors or vulnerable at home, their security guards, drivers, grocery and delivery people etc. In Bandra people are queuing as usual around a kebab shop, many without masks, some with their masks in their necks, sitting on the roadside eating kebabs, gossiping. Bandstand had people walking and jogging on the promenade, most without masks (difficult to jog with masks, I guess). Imagine the number of people out there when the entire roadside parking is choaked with vehicles and motorcycles parked. Starbucks had a queue outside. It is life as usual.

I have friends, some of the the ‘esteemed’ foreign worked- returned types too, who say they are so bored, they want to meet, and are very strong about not wearing masks if at all meeting. “I am fine, I have no symptoms”. Meanwhile in my in-laws building 10 people tested positive in the last three days. Someone told me in a building In south Mumbai 32 people tested positive.

While there is the issue of sympathising with people locked indoors and needing “recreational activities” maybe before they indulge in such they should perhaps sign a form saying in these hard times, when hospitals and staff are crunched for availability, in case they need medical emergencies, they are willing to be on the bottom of the wait list.
parambyte is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 09:01   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
So, let us get this straight. People are free to lock themselves in. No one is forcing anyone to come out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Most of us know such illogical rules will translate into even more illogical implementation at the ground level and hence we are cribbing about it.
Just wanted to thank you guys for your posts, especially mohansrides, you have not given up being the voice of reason. Eventually, all of us will realize what you have articulated so many times- a vaccine is years away, we will just have to learn to live with the virus. I'm pretty sure the government already has understood this but they cannot take any decision that will prove politically disastrous, hence these constantly changing rules and regulations to show that we are doing something. That too will pass by much before this pandemic does, but will cause hardship for a lot of people till then unfortunately. With the majority of people still believing that the virus can differentiate between someone out on 'essential' activities and a leisurely drive to the beach , I don't see much hope of the panic ending soon. But thanks for your posts guys, gratifying to see there are people who still think about this realistically and critically and not emotionally, or just follow what the news screams out everyday.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 09:13   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
You don't drive to just be on the road. There is always a destination.
False - I have gone on drives with my family because post 3 months of lockdowns and having gone through my wife getting infected (probably while she accompanied our son who had to be hospitalised for something else), quarantined and cured, we are sick of staying at home. We are careful and capable of judging the risks we are taking.

Quote:
One needs to prioritize whether to adjust with some exercise routine or favorite grocery or to spend time in hospitals and isolation wards.
False again. Almost no one has to be hospitalised for Covid - most patients recover on their home and can be treated with home quarantine, an Oximeter to monitor specific oxygen levels, and perhaps a oxygen cylinder for emergencies.

Quote:
The government is helpless and trying every permutation and combination to save lives. I don't think there is any intention to bully someone.
The word should be clueless and not helpless. People are not following the science and just reacting at all times. The fact is that Covid is here to stay. The means to treat it is strict home quarantine for those infected (no one in our family including my senior citizen in laws and my son got infected because we were very careful as soon as my wife developed symptoms), and adequate capacity to deal with the minority who need hospitalisation. There is also plenty of data to show what are high risk areas for spread and what are not. Crowded restaurants, bars, concert halls, factories, hospitals - viz indoor settings with closed air circulation - are very high risk zones. Outdoor settings even where some folks don’t wear masks (as long as a reasonable number wear masks) are far lower risk. Someone sitting in his own car with family members faces zero incremental risk of infection. It is time we start focussing on what will minimise transmission instead of gimmicks or reactive steps which inconvenience people and hurt the economy without doing anything to reduce transmission rates.

Last edited by Hayek : 30th June 2020 at 09:17.
Hayek is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 09:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Motorcyclists complained they were easy targets and were checked in far greater numbers than other vehicles. Data with the traffic police also showed that two-wheelers were 72% of all vehicles impounded. “I live alone and had set out to buy groceries on my scooter with a proper list in hand. In the same lane where I live on Andheri’s Veera Desai Road, a cop was intercepting vehicles. I explained I was just a few metres away from home, but he wouldn’t even look at my list and forced me to sign a document that I had violated the lockdown,” said Ajay Malhotra, 59. “
This is absolute HARASSMENT !!

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/76700123.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai: Crossing 2 km radius could get your vehicle seized-76701062.jpg  

Mumbai: Crossing 2 km radius could get your vehicle seized-76701072.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 09:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

This rule was lame and depressing. The ability to drive within my car was giving some sort of relief to the craziness this lockdown has been.

If anyone here justifying the move can tell me, how is driving around Mumbai increasing the likelihood of infection? (compared to me driving within 2 kms)

This is a complete brainless move and just shows that the government just doesnt understand even the basics of this disease.
Old 30th June 2020, 09:56   #57
BHPian

I see this as another one of those steps created with good intentions, but let down by poor execution. They should have checked vehicles at random, and seized a few vehicles without causing traffic jams. They should have publicized the cases of the vehicles seized, probably using news channels. After that perhaps, they should have analyzed whether this rule was helping to reduce unwanted travel.

The problem in India is irresponsible people who crave social contact despite hearing about all the risks. I think the government should make it mandatory for YouTube, OTT movies, and TV shows to show ads with COVID-19 patients and the physical issues they had, and how their neighbors and family shunned them at that time.

If people still want to think everything is okay, and go ahead with things like unwanted travel, the government should let them do what they want. If we as a society want something bad, the role of the government should be to provide information and warnings to everyone. The government should not micromanage a person's life, however irresponsible that person may be. Restricting movement and other restrictions should be only for COVID-19 positive persons.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Its the Duty to Follow Orders. No Questions, No Critics, No Comments, Just do what you are told ! While lot of us cant serve the Army, but we all can take a leaf our of their book for once and oblige by what the govt says
Quick reminder that innovation, progress and success are built on critical thinking, not blind obedience (of idiots, in the case of the pandemic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
On that note, I would like to point that the unfortunate Minneapolis incident happened much later than March. Otherwise the incidents of police punishing violators in India would have unnecessarily raised a hue and cry.
Unnecessarily? The police, both in India and in the US, has been known to use disproportionate and even lethal force, from Minneapolis to Tuticorin. And yes, law abiding citizens will raise a 'hue and cry' when goons in uniform rape and murder people for 'lockdown violations'.
v1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:29   #59
BHPian

Absolute stupidity!
When the pandemic situation has already gotten out of control in Mumbai, you start making absolute nonsensical rules and start hoping for the best.
Such decisions indicate how stupid and far removed from ground realities our decision makers are.
As discussed by many here, there can be so many possible genuine reasons one can travel more than 2 km, specially that most offices are now working. What is the point of making a rule which can not be enforced in reality.
Will be just another excuse for the cops to make a quick buck.

Last edited by ishan12 : 30th June 2020 at 12:37.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:30   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Just wanted to thank you guys for your posts, especially mohansrides, you have not given up being the voice of reason. Eventually, all of us will realize what you have articulated so many times- a vaccine is years away, we will just have to learn to live with the virus. I'm pretty sure the government already has understood this but they cannot take any decision that will prove politically disastrous, hence these constantly changing rules and regulations to show that we are doing something. That too will pass by much before this pandemic does, but will cause hardship for a lot of people till then unfortunately. With the majority of people still believing that the virus can differentiate between someone out on 'essential' activities and a leisurely drive to the beach , I don't see much hope of the panic ending soon. But thanks for your posts guys, gratifying to see there are people who still think about this realistically and critically and not emotionally, or just follow what the news screams out everyday.
Thanks to you too for the kind words as always. I am sorry for not having replied to many of your posts in many other threads but that was only due to hectic duties and time constraints. I have acknowledged each one of them though.

I am as such flexible with my thought processes regarding this sars-cov2 virus and always willing to learn more and admit my mistakes , but can't tolerate such meaningless rules. Having said that, I have myself never faced even a single curt reply from any of the cops in Mumbai but that could be because I instantly flash my Doctor ID. But that doesn't mean I turn a blind eye to the harassment of other citizens. My friend, an engineer, was beaten up badly in Belgaum, KA when he was entering his house with a packet of milk in his hand. They were 4-5 cops and none of them had any patience to even confirm why he was out of the home in the first place. The problem with rules like this is exactly that - implementation !! At the end of the day, how much ever I criticize, I always try to follow the rule book and not take advantage of me being a frontline doctor. People in my hospital during lockdown 1.0 used to casually say that I can drive to Lonavala, Pune, Alibaug, Igatpuri etc. on my off days using my Doctor's id, without any e-pass and that cops would not question me anything. However I never did that, never violated any regulation no matter how stupid and ridiculous it seemed and drove only between home and hospital. My first drive after 4 months between Mumbai and Wardha was also in accordance with all the legal protocols.

By the way, today while I was on my way back after the night shift, I noticed cops flagging down only those cars, whose drivers were not wearing face masks.

Last edited by vivek95 : 30th June 2020 at 12:34. Reason: Spell check
vivek95 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks