Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2020, 12:55   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
And just like that, from being an overpriced ~40 lakh SUV (on road), the Fortuner becomes an overpriced ~50 lakh SUV.
Overpriced- yes but in 2009-2010 Fortuner retailed at 18-20Lacs OTR while a C class retailed at 25Lacs. Top Spec C class now would cost somewhere close to 60-65L and Fortuner costs about 45L. This doesn't take away the fact that Fortuner is overpriced, but its not alone, entire market is overpriced for what they offer.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 12:45   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
This also after seeing what happened to my current Fortuner - could not even survive being wetted...it's beyond amazing
Mind elaborating on this, please?
Old 16th December 2020, 18:40   #78
BHPian

There is a new video for Australian 2020 Fortuner model. The reviewer is 'Ronny Dahl' and the review is biased toward off road credibility as he is more of an off highway driver in his videsos. Here is the link:

Fortuner performed very well and the increased power is helping it. Hope Toyota brings the updated engine in India as well

Slushmaster
Slushmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 20:54   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushmaster View Post
There is a new video for Australian 2020 Fortuner model.

Fortuner performed very well and the increased power is helping it
Thanks for sharing. Do note the no. of times he engages the rear diff lock, something which is instrumental to the Fortuner's off-road prowess and is sadly missing on the Indian version.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 21:02   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks for sharing. Do note the no. of times he engages the rear diff lock, something which is instrumental to the Fortuner's off-road prowess and is sadly missing on the Indian version.
Exactly - a differential lock is essential when off-roading...
Old 16th December 2020, 21:06   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly - a differential lock is essential when off-roading...
I agree the rear diff lock is helpful but the A-Trac system in the Fortuner is brilliantly calibrated and 5x times better than other traction control systems of similar priced cars!
Old 16th December 2020, 21:10   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I agree the rear diff lock is helpful but the A-Trac system in the Fortuner is brilliantly calibrated and 5x times better than other traction control systems of similar priced cars!
Can you elucidate on this - especially as compared to the current Endeavour/Everest's 4wd system/s??
Old 16th December 2020, 21:20   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Mind elaborating on this, please?
Well, 3-4 hours of immersion in 1.05m water ended up with water *in everything* - except the engine oil/block!

In the:

-Auto tranny.
-Rear diff.
-4wd transfer case.
-Every single engine component.
-Fuel tank/pump.

I mean, it's just whacked when I am told by *top* people in the dealership that the auto tranny is "sealed", not to change the fluid/filter - as well as the rear differential - and then ends up letting water inside??

Supposedly got in through the "breathers".

Well, then how is this unit supposed to wade through rivers, et al?

I guess you should be changing all fluids subsequent to traversing any water then, eh?!
Old 16th December 2020, 21:44   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, 3-4 hours of immersion in 1.05m water ended up with water *in everything* - except the engine oil/block!

I mean, it's just whacked when I am told by *top* people in the dealership that the auto tranny is "sealed", not to change the fluid/filter - as well as the rear differential - and then ends up letting water inside??
The car is meant to wade in 700mm/0.7m water at max! Anything above that is going to damage something or the other. It’s good that atleast the engine was not damaged, otherwise the expense would be massive. Any car would have done the same thing in 1.05m of water irrespective of any brand or the topmost official telling everything is sealed.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 21:48   #85
BHPian

Quote:
The car is meant to wade in 700mm/0.7m water at max! Anything above that is going to damage something or the other. It’s good that atleast the engine was not damaged, otherwise the expense would be massive. Any car would have done the same thing in 1.05m of water irrespective of any brand or the topmost official telling everything is sealed.
I don't think 0.7m or 1.0m would make any difference, seriously.

I sincerely think that the Indian models are heavily compromised - it's just that simple - in the interest of saving money!
Old 16th December 2020, 22:50   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, the real situation is now whether to attempt repairs (with a lesser amount than what the Toyota workshop has quoted) or total it as the insurance company would like to - even though it only had 12k kilometers on the odometer...
Old 17th December 2020, 09:24   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I sincerely think that the Indian models are heavily compromised
No, it’s a big difference.

Not able to understand your problems, has you car suffered some damage? What’s their estimate and what all parts are the changing?

Insurance will normally cover water damage too unless someone has done it intentionally.

Regarding your comments on the difference in quality, I have my doubts as Toyota is a little different when it comes to basic ethics and they don’t linger our models forever and come with newer variants whenever there’s a change globally (3-6month lag).
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 10:48   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With all due respect to the A-Trac system, there is no parallel to a diff-lock. When summarizing his assessment of the Fortuner towards the end of the video (around the 28 min mark), the first "like" that Ronny calls out is the availability of a rear diff locker, without which (according to him), the off-road capability of the Fortuner would be halved! I guess this sums it up Quite sad that Toyota skipped this on the Indian version.

Quote:
Can you elucidate on this - especially as compared to the current Endeavour/Everest's 4wd system/s??
In addition to the rear diff locker, the other area where Endeavour scores is full-time 4WD, which gives immense confidence on wet highway drives as well as rough terrain. Fortuner was a full-time 4WD in its previous avatar but unfortunately, did not carry this trait forward to the new generation.

Last edited by cool_dube : 17th December 2020 at 10:50.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 13:00   #89
BHPian

Quote:
With all due respect to the A-Trac system, there is no parallel to a diff-lock.
You are absolutely right, A-Trac is a work around and will assist in a manner to increase the traction. Differential locker are always better and make a vehicle much more capable. And, it will proove its worth in gold only in very tricky situations.

But, we are not getting rear Diff-Lock in India(Current Fortuner) and the way Toyota remove things from the indian models, we are very thankful to Toyota for atleast providing the traction control system

Let's hope Toyota provides all the bells and whistles from Australian model in India as well, but I know toyota will proove me wrong. They will jack up the price by bringing some cosmetic changes and we all will be ready to pay the price happily.
Old 18th December 2020, 21:39   #90

Hello all. Anyone having any idea about when the facelift will be launched. I have booked one, but my sales advisor is not sure about delivery time. All i get to know from him is that the production of existing fortuner has stopped and now only facelifted one will come.
Is the delay intentional by Toyota cause of year end or has it got to do anything with the strike at plant?
Heart pains to see facelifted versions being launched in thailand, Vietnam, australia, south africa etc. Are we Indian consumers not on international toyota's radar?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks