Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2024, 17:39   #2701
BHPian

Re: Sunfilms | A cheap option is not always the best one | Lesson learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
it's globally posted on their insurance website even multiple insurance company websites for their customers to clarify on this yet its incorrect, it appears they might be misguiding customers across PAN India. Perhaps, in the future, I should consider involving my lawyer and their team when purchasing insurance. Thank you
Whatever they have said was from the point of view of accepting insurance claims and not from a legal perspective. The honorable Supreme Court of India has made it amply clear on numerous occasions that insurance companies cannot reject insurance claims on any and every ground of legal violation by the client. However, that is not a valid excuse for us to violate the law by installing "transparent" films on the safety glass of consumer cars.

Additionally, just because the Tamil Nadu cops allegedly allowed your car to go scot-free does not mean that there was no legal violation with the films. By your own admission, they allegedly allow completely dark tinted windows on some cars as well and that is illegal too. Compliance with the laws starts at the individual levels and only then can we point fingers at others just as we don't get to enjoy our rights without doing our duties. In summary, it is illegal to install films, irrespective of their transparency percentage level, on the safety glass areas of consumer cars in India.

If you still think that my statements are incorrect, then here is my offer. I would gladly like to be proven wrong with evidence here by any legal professional on Team Bhp.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2024 at 16:26. Reason: Last line wasn't needed. Let's not get personal
Chhanda Das is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 17:59   #2702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
If you still think that my statements are incorrect, then here is my offer. I would gladly like to be proven wrong with evidence here by any legal professional on Team Bhp.
Go through this - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post2933138 (Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement)

You can observe that the entire Indian government, police, and insurance companies are easy-going for those with VLT within permissible limit. Yet, here I am, debating with someone attempting to prove that all these government officials and police across Tamil Nadu & all over India are wrong, while relying on a judgment line that is clearly misunderstood by you. No one is going to hand out awards to either of us for proving something that is widely known across India and available on the internet.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2024 at 16:26. Reason: Quoted post edited
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 19:07   #2703
BHPian

Guys, let us all agree to disagree here.

If we were to discuss the legality of modifications, more than half of the threads posted on the DIY section would be deemed illegal - upsized tyres, tuning engines, electrical modifications, roof carriers, installing light bars, installing aftermarket suspensions, LEDs, sun films and the list goes on. We would end up turning this into a law forum rather than an automotive one. Heck, there is a thread on this very forum where Kerala MVD deemed T-BHP stickers as illegal (Link (Team-BHP stickers illegal, says Kerala RTO)). Does that mean this forum is indulging in illegal activities by selling them?

In this country, a lot depends on the police who stopped us. Just like us fighting over interpretation of rules, police too seem to have different views on different rules. Some states are lenient while others nitpick even on the smallest of things. Let us leave the onus on the owner of the vehicle / user who installed the modification. Let them deal with the legality (and face consequences/fines if deemed illegal). The information they share though would be invaluable to the rest of us - just like this thread where Diwan shared their experience with a sun film.

Before someone points out that I too broke the law by installing sun films - yes I did! I am fully aware of what I am getting into. Police in my state are okay as long as occupants inside the vehicle are clearly visible from the outside. If I get caught travelling in a different state/city, I am ready to face consequences. I've had enough of the sun burning my face and arms during long drives.
furyrider is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks