Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2012, 14:39   #1396
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
@Patchyboy, that's a very valid point which I never thought of either. The rules in CMV are not for sun films but for the windshields and windows. If sun film is applied to one, then the VLT of the 'glass+sunfilm' combo will be the product of VLT of glass and VLT of sunfilm ...
Now, it seems there is no logical background to ask for the review of SC ruling! Except that side windows glasses have VLT of 70%, one may still be able to put a film such that overall VLT=50%, but this is unlikely ?
Exactly. I do not believe there are any grounds for asking for a review of the SC ruling. I think it is possible to put a 75% VLT film on the side windows, which would then become 52.5% VLT, which is higher that the permitted minmum of 50% and hence will not be in vioaltion of the CMV. Convincing law enforcement is a different story though

Rajan
Old 12th May 2012, 14:44   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Beware!

Sun films are being removed near dhaula kuan bus stop while returning from Gurgaon. There are 8-10 cops randomly stopping the cars and tearing off the films.

Last edited by bluevolt : 12th May 2012 at 14:45.
Old 12th May 2012, 14:50   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
How did you arrive at that? Where does the law say, you can't paste a film of any VLT? It says that the glass has to be maintained with a minimum VLT of 70%. The SC itself agrees that this rule can be interpreted differently from what they have done and they have taken this stand in interest of the public/ curbing crimes.

No! Its not "glass that is equipped in the car has a VLT of a minimum of 70%" but it is "glass that is equipped in the car can have VLT of a minimum of 70%", see the difference?

If your Palio has 70% VLT, you should not have put a film!

PatchyBoy, you are talking only for yourself here.

My car has about 10-12% OEM tint and have 70% VLT film on sides and nothing on front and back, how is that breaking the law?
True, what you are saying. I broke the law and I agree that ignorance is no excuse. I have now made amends to rectify that. Maybe I should have posted "I was blissfully unaware" rather than saying "We were....."

My point is, when the laminated / safety glass cannot have 100% VLT, then aren't the sun film manufacturers liable for making a false claim? In your case, if the windows have a 10-12% OEM tint - I am interpreting this as your car is equipped with glasses with 88-90% VLT - then you are not breaking the CMV rule, by using a 70% VLT film on the side windows.

I wonder if it would be possible to get a VLT certificate, similar to PUC. I think that should address this issue, but then we all know how easy it is to get a PUC for any vehicle, no matter what the pollution levels

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 12th May 2012 at 14:52.
Old 12th May 2012, 14:58   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
updates from other cities are not there especially calcutta, hyderabad, jaipur, lucknow, mysore, mangalore,cochin, and other tier 2 cities.We do have bhpinans in these towns, please update us with the situations in your towns
No checking by cops so far in Mangalore for sunfilms, I had installed sunfilms worth Rs 9,500 on my XUV 1 month back. Will remove the sunfilms myself on May 19th if the cops start enforcing the sunfilm ban in Mangalore.
Old 12th May 2012, 15:13   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PatchyBoy, you are talking only for yourself here.

My car has about 10-12% OEM tint and have 70% VLT film on sides and nothing on front and back, how is that breaking the law?
If your OEM tint is really 90% VLT, then you're not breaking law, but most people are in the other camp.

BTW, Here is an interesting take on tints allowed in other countries from wikipedia :-)
Window film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 16:18   #1401
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Going forward, I see two outcomes:

- Huge spike in supply & demand of colourless sunfilm.

- Manufacturers offering darker tints from the factory itself. This could well be a differentiator.

Just the fact that the law allows factory-fitted tints shows how half-baked it is. I mean, can't goondas perform their criminal activities in a car with factory tints?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 16:28   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Can some one confirm as to what the Honda City ivtec VLT is for the glass.
Should I wait this storm out or just DIY remove the RTO approved film that might sooner or later become the norm again. I feel my car is see through w.r.t. most HR 26 region cars with really dark tints. Those guys were not being stopped it was the smaller hatchs that were being targeted.

Thanks!
Old 12th May 2012, 16:30   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

- Manufacturers offering darker tints from the factory itself. This could well be a differentiator.

Just the fact that the law allows factory-fitted tints shows how half-baked it is. I mean, can't goondas perform their criminal activities in a car with factory tints?

Yes you are 100% correct sir.

Also sir, i see no advantage in factory tinted glasses apart from glare reduction.
Sunfilms, on the other hand offer heat rejection, glare reduction, strengthen the glass during impact so that it does not fly off in small granules, protects the leather, rubber and plastic parts of the interiors, makes the car look cool and also glare reduction etc.
Old 12th May 2012, 16:39   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

From the spirit of law: Manufacturer would comply with the regulations so it wouldn't exceed the intent of 50/70. So, it would make sense to allow that. But, how would the cops / any enforcing agency know that it was factory fit, even if it is colorless film? As there would be no way to check, even those films would have to be removed (by the spirit of the judgement).

So, in my view, we may be in for hotter times!
Old 12th May 2012, 16:57   #1405
BANNED

@GTO; I hinted at the manufacturers going for tints as an option (at extra price) at the very outset. I will not be surprised to see a few options (colour coordinated!) at extra cost very soon. As soon as Asahi can come up to speed with them.
Old 12th May 2012, 16:58   #1406
BHPian

To my knowledge, not all A/B segment cars come with tinted glass. Also incase those are not temperlite or shatter proof, it is the sunfilms that hold the glass pieces together incase of an incident. It is alright to pass a law demanding a good amount of VLT, in order to reduce crime, but there are some websites which have some ridiculous traffic officials making comments about owners having to change the glasses in their cars, in the event that a manufacturer does not comply with the regulations re: tint / VLT percentages.
Any kind of film on glasses of vehicles will be peeled off, News - Cover Story - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror

GTO is 100% right. Manufacturers of sun films and tint glasses are going to make tons of money.
Old 12th May 2012, 17:44   #1407
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If the law against tints (I mean beyondthe darker ones with low visibility) does actually get passed then someone will through a PIL show absurd this is and it will be back to square one.

Some Manufacturers themselves provided slightly tinted glassed and yes there are expensive solutions to have the heat reduction with almost no loss in visibility but they are really really expensive. We do use them at times on the front windscreen but using them on all the glasses will be too expensive.

Yes a potential game changing scenario could change the way sunfilm business is done in India.

On a lighter note we will next have a law stating that tinted glasses / googles too should not be worn while driving so that the -ve types cannot stare at the fairer types undetected.
Old 12th May 2012, 17:48   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151
UPDATE:- apparently now cars with tints cannot park there cars in basements of malls and cinemas as it banned by the government india. i was not allowed to park my car with tints in ambience mall, gurgaon. Has anyone else also suffered this problem anywhere else???
I also read it yesterday at the entrance of Ambience Mall but there were few cars parked with films in the basement.
Old 12th May 2012, 18:35   #1409
BHPian

Pune cops seem to have stopped the drive since the last 2 days, but I might be wrong. Anyone come across cops in Pune checking the tints last two days?

As I posted earlier, they were checking with a lux meter, and that gave hope of the drive ending soon, or being restricted to specific large junctions of the city. But given that the order is against any sort of film, cops really do not need any lux meter to stop, fine and ask you to peel off. Sigh.
Old 12th May 2012, 18:47   #1410
BHPian

Guys although i have removed the films from all my windows. I have kept it on for my rear window. Its a 40% one. I have'nt been stopped yet or checked. Is it ok to have it in the rear? Because visibility is there anyway through all other windows.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks