Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2012, 12:40   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
i just read on facebook group that Garware has filed an appeal. However, as Supreme Court is on leave no result might come out before July.
Ah there you go, no matter how one would think about it, by the time there would be any kind of counter appeal, nearly most of us would have lost our films and most definitely good news for both government and manufacturers if the rule is amended with fresh taxes mopped and new sales. If the July appeal really does happen then we can use some quick thinking as to how to save our films and also avoid being on the wrong side of the law.

Some suggestions (not applicable/practical to everyone) that may help at least till July-

1. If you have 2 cars, leave the vehicle that has costlier / newer films at home and remove on the other one and use it regularly
2. Use the 2 wheeler more than the car if one has both to save up till the judgement day
3. If really necessary to take out the car with films, then avoid all the major places where the cops would be present to catch your now 'illegal' car
4. Walk or cycle (buy one if necessary) to short distances or use the public transport more. This might save your films but surely is more economical and saves environment for sure.
5. One can take off the films from the rear quartret glass and rear glass and roll down all the windows with the film and drive around.

Surely not saying that you do the wrong thing but then these guys make us think of taking such steps however law abiding we would like ourselves to be. These are mere suggestions, do not try it at home if not any one of it feels unappropriate.

More suggestions are welcome.
Old 13th May 2012, 12:51   #1442
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

If your car is old and the film is not too dark then don't remove it. If someone catch you then just say with confidence "It's factory fitted, and it's allowed!"
Old 13th May 2012, 12:54   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Another Mumbai update -

Today we had a drive from Mumbai to Amby Valley. My car has 35% VLT on the sides and rear. I even passed through a Police check post as well as a police manned barricade. Nobody stopped me. Or any car. Thankfully.
Old 13th May 2012, 13:01   #1444
BHPian

Buy any party flag and keep it in the dash Problem solved

Here lot of people skip toll with the help of flag.
Old 13th May 2012, 13:13   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Some points in bangalore where you can expect cops
1. On sarjapur road, near to the fire station
2. Old ariport road just after HAL signal
3. Krpura Just before railway station
4. Koramangala near to BDA complex
Add to it:
1. BETL Lay by lane, and near the Exits towards Hosur/E-city.
2. Silk board junction towards Outer-ring road HSR (though traffic cops here only control the traffic - more frequent checks by khakhi wears to prevent crimes).
3. Sarjapur-Ibloor junction, right below the fly-over.
4. Indra Nagar - before taking the domlur flyover towards EGL on inner ring road AND after getting down the flyover towards EGL.
6. Nr. St. Johns hospital on hosur road towards e-city (though I heard RTO raids here often for out station vehicles - cops are present at times).
7. Nr. Garuda Mall.

I hope cops don't look out for my vehicle!
I already was doomed into fitting an illegal shade sun-film by the sales advisor and I was planning to remove it for 3 years as it was very difficult to drive at nights and fit it with lighter shade! Now this is a great encouragement to remove that illegal film, wait for orders positively for sun-film and fit one that is in permissible limits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
@Funkykar - I took the Essential package, it costed me 1699+tax, but you don't have to opt for that to get it removed, their package starts from 499+tax.
Planning for one quite sometime instead of paying hefty to MASS for same treatment! Time up to get one!

Last edited by noopster : 13th May 2012 at 14:32. Reason: Posts merged
Old 13th May 2012, 13:39   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Seems we Mumbaikars are still lucky. The drive against Sunfilms have not yet started here.

We drove through Western Suburbs of Mumbai yesterday & today, but not checking of Sunfilms has begun yet.

Also there is no official communication from RTO Mumbai warning people to remove the dark sunfiilms. Seems Mumbaikars are lucky till date.

Thanks,
Old 13th May 2012, 13:48   #1447
BHPian

Today around noon , Bangalore cops in action @ Marthahahalli near Innovative multiplex just under the bridge halting cars for sunfilims.
Old 13th May 2012, 13:56   #1448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just the fact that the law allows factory-fitted tints shows how half-baked it is. I mean, can't goondas perform their criminal activities in a car with factory tints?
Well that's true. But I sort of understand what the SC has done here. They are saying that they are okay with the 50-70 visbility, but don't want authorities to take responsibility of checking if films are within limits or not. They just don't want the hassle. If allowed to install films, many people will install films that are illegal (as they are doing today). Take the easy way out and ban all films. Put the onus on manufacturers instead. Car makers won't dare sell something if it is not allowed by law.

I'm pretty sure some manufacturers will start offering options for tinted glasses.

BTW, Garware and the likes have a strong case. They are manufacturing and selling automotive films with the government's permission. What do they do now after having made all the crores of investment? Either SC has to allow selling films within legal limits to car users or the car manufacturers directly.

Last edited by CBlazer : 13th May 2012 at 14:13.
Old 13th May 2012, 14:46   #1449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Today around noon , Bangalore cops in action @ Marthahahalli near Innovative multiplex just under the bridge halting cars for sunfilims.
Are they issuing challans or just forcing the owners to peel off the films?

Even their FB page says they have given a 15 days grace for us to remove the tints (Centres for removal of films | Facebook) - this page also lists 10 special centres by BTP for sunfilm removal!!

Time to get out on my new black Avy!!! BTW, does having a sun-film on windshield of Avy with 70% is against the law?
Old 13th May 2012, 15:31   #1450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
BTW, Garware and the likes have a strong case. They are manufacturing and selling automotive films with the government's permission. What do they do now after having made all the crores of investment? Either SC has to allow selling films within legal limits to car users or the car manufacturers directly.
Not really. The government permitted them to make films and they did. These films have applications other than automotive as well, so they manufactured films with VLT as low as 5% too.

Car owners chose to apply such films on car windows, though it would be in violation of CMV rule 100(2). These companies played along, claiming CMV compliance and RTO approval, without explicitly telling the consumer that their 70% VLT film, will be 70%, if applied to 100% VLT glass.

100% VLT glass does not exist. Even plain vannila glass - with no treatment - is about 90 - 92%. So an application of a 70% VLT film on a rear windscreen with 90% VLT will result in the glass becoming 63% VLT, thus making it non-compliant.

If there is any case, it is against these film manufactures for not making the customer aware and aiding in the usage of non-standard film. Not sure what the legalities are. After all a lot of big names manufacture 130/110 bulbs, don't they?

Rajan
Old 13th May 2012, 15:38   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Ah there you go, no matter how one would think about it...

...More suggestions are welcome.
You can also get curtains, remove them while driving and put em on while parking. I got P8 curtains no more hassle of film law every year.

Note From Team-BHP Support-Team: Please avoid quoting long/entire posts as it may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th May 2012 at 16:14. Reason: See note in post :)
Old 13th May 2012, 15:42   #1452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSPEED View Post
Buy any party flag and keep it in the dash Problem solved

Here lot of people skip toll with the help of flag.
The Ultimate and Evergreen Solution ! Atleast in Chennai Though
icyspikey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 16:36   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Yes, after going through the ruling, I stand corrected.

I went through the whole ruling and it seems to be a classic case of the PIL mechanism being taken for a ride. We might as well leave our doors open since locked flats are frequently burgled into. All resistance to acts of crime is futile because it actually increases the severity of the crime. For e.g. if you resisted a theft, it could very well escalate into murder. God forbid, you might even be held responsible for resisting and turning it into a murder!

I can understand compliance with the VLT limits specified by the law, but a blanket ban on all kinds of sunfilms is totally unjustified.

The law also stipulates various things about mirrors, tail lights, head lights and so on. Would the honourable court be so kind as to ensure these rules were enforced too? How many times I see two wheelers without mirrors, or the mirrors bent inwards? How many I see three wheeler tempos (there's a certain make/model with this phenomenon) with a body wider than its cabin and two tiny mirrors right in front of the driver, as if they are there for the driver to apply make up to his face!

It's a joke. Since the police don't have enough manpower to stop crimes, why not lock up citizens in their homes from 12am to 5am? Public good must prevail over the private conveniences. Did someone give a thought to whether there's any public good in so many people using sunfilm?

Last edited by honeybee : 13th May 2012 at 16:41.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 17:20   #1454
BHPian

I too left the tint (40%) on my cars rear window. Others are removed. I have seen that nobody cathes you if they can see inside the car. No one stopped me for the tint on my rear windows.
So, the people who have to remove the tints can at least keep the rear window tints on. Just remove your side windows and make sure you are able to see inside your car. Cops should not catch you for that. At least its happening with me.
Old 13th May 2012, 18:10   #1455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
You could say the same about Gutkha - i thought it is banned but the business goes on!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks