Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 01:20   #2191
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I couldn't stop myself from asking this question to fellow BHPians.
I read on this very thread that almost 50% cars don't have sun control films. So are 50% of people are suffering very badly due to skin cancer, and other diseases and do one spend that much time that sun control film acts as the ultimate savior, etc.
Secondly if only 50% of the cars are having these films, so why we think that general public "wants" the sun control film ban to be removed. Infact of these 50% cars around say (20% to 33%) are having darker sun films and infact, because of them we all are suffering actually.
*I mean no offense to you* but you have not understood our point of view.

One question to you. Do you have a car? Do you have AC in it?

What are you suffering from that you can't just walk in the sun barefoot to work? Because 50% of India's population does that, why do you need a car? It's because of cars that accidents happen and people die.

It's a convenience (for comfort), and a 70% VLT can not be used for crimes.

Why can't we have a right to use a simple thing that makes our life comfortable? It's an input to your standard of living.
What is wrong in using a film just to decrease the chances of exposure to UV? (It is the people who are exposed to UV that are more likely to get cancer and then maybe die).
Why should we pay for the police force's incapability to catch hold of dark film users? (there are still plenty in Delhi! yes super dark ones!)
Will removing films from my cars (see pictures posted earlier) help crime? or whatever the objective was?

I have 5 cars, 3 were without film and 2 had light film and the difference was beyond reason. Why were the 3 without film? because I had got them removed when the High court had put some ban on darker films a few years back (when 40-50% films were the after-market norm).
Old 31st May 2012, 02:01   #2192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
*I mean no offense to you* but you have not understood our point of view.
One question to you. Do you have a car? Do you have AC in it?
No offense taken.
I posted only what was being observed by me in this hot thread.
Neither I defended hon'ble SC decision and nor am against it.
If you try and observe there are only two things which are affecting everyone (incl me)
1. Because of 10-15% of people, 100% of people using films (or 50% of total) are suffering.
2. Let's admit, most of us were not aware of the correct interpretation and so are learning the hard way and that is very tough for anyone (due to human psychology or ego issues) to admit their mistakes.
Yes I also do own car(s) and the latest one is having 3M films waiting to be removed.
PS: This thread must have a poll with relevant options. The poll in other thread is a missed opportunity.

Last edited by carwatcher : 31st May 2012 at 02:09.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 08:06   #2193
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I am the most vocal about harmful UV radiation and somehow this seems to always get equated to Skin Cancer. Just to clear the air, I am not claiming the everyone that removes Sun Control Film will end up with Skin Cancer. There are other lesser harms that come as a result of exposure to UV Rays. This post is an attempt to clear the understanding. The following are the problems, other than cancer:
  • Photoageing: a loss of skin tightness and the development of solar keratoses.
  • Cataract: an eye disease where the lens becomes increasingly opaque, resulting in impaired vision and eventual blindness;
  • Pterygium: a white or creamy fleshy growth on the surface of the eye;
  • Immunosuppression can cause reactivation of the herpes simplex virus in the lip ("cold sores").

Apart from this, there is also the effect of fading of the upholstery and plastics in the car. These are the other and more common harmful effects. I request all members to please stop equating all references to UV exposure to Skin Cancer, and consider other lesser and known effects as well.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 09:31   #2194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Finally the alternatives seeing the light of the day
Reminds me of the Fiat we had way back in the mid 80s, and my dad had got these really white lace curtains that we, as kids, loved to open and close every few mins....

Enjoy the alternatives until someone goes to court with another PIL against them!
Old 31st May 2012, 09:45   #2195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Reminds me of the Fiat we had way back in the mid 80s, and my dad had got these really white lace curtains that we, as kids, loved to open and close every few mins....

Enjoy the alternatives until someone goes to court with another PIL against them!
Sorry to burst the bubble. In letter and spirit of the ruling and CMRV, usage of these curtains is already illegal.

Rajan
Old 31st May 2012, 11:18   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
They did not strip the film from your car? I though that they are stripping the film off on every car that they catch.
After cutting the challan, he did asked me to give car keys to him, so that he can strip off the film. I said him not to do so and i will get it removed in few hours, after which he told me that, he can't let me go without stripping off a little bit of film on any side. Then i asked him not to do with the key and told him that, i won't allow him to remove the film and will remove it there my self only.

So i removed film from one of the side after which he told me to go.

Cheers
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 11:21   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
For the common man who bought his first (most times also the only) car that came with clear tempered glass on the side windows and rear windscreen
Is there really any car that comes out today with clear glass ? Asking because even our '99 M800 had tinted glass on it. I would be surprised to know that other costlier cars scrimp on this, compared to the cheap M800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
Sorry to burst the bubble. In letter and spirit of the ruling and CMRV, usage of these curtains is already illegal.
Indeed. More illegal than having dark film I would think, going by the reason why the whole sun-film ban came in.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:38   #2198
BHPian

I too have tints on my car which are darker than normal.But then the difference it makes in the hot sun is amazing.The car cools faster and better.
When ever there are nakabandhis or police around i roll the windows down.Or put on the interior lights.
Tints make driving easier.
I recently saw some imported sun film which is legal and quite clear..but apparently cuts of more than 50% sunlight or uvrays.They come at a price though.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:40   #2199
Senior - BHPian

What glass does the Alto 800 come with? Mine is 2009 model.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:46   #2200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Alto do have tinted glasses all around, as far as i know.

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 31st May 2012 at 11:48.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:46   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Is there really any car that comes out today with clear glass ? Asking because even our '99 M800 had tinted glass on it. I would be surprised to know that other costlier cars scrimp on this, compared to the cheap M800.
Please explain what you mean by tinted glass here. Blue / Gray tint or just the inherent greenish tinge of glass? Also, did the glass have any VLT specification on it?

Rajan
Old 31st May 2012, 11:58   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Once again an update from Mumbai.

It seems that the drive against Sun Films has not yet started in Mumbai. At no place in Mumbai I have seen cops catching Cars even with dark & black sunflims.

Thanks,
Old 31st May 2012, 12:21   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Check the code written on the glass (bottom corner).

IIRC, Alto comes with 70% VLT on front/rear and 65% VLT on sides.

Rohan
Old 31st May 2012, 12:34   #2204
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure about the more recent batch of Altos but the earlier Altos including mine never had any glasses that were anything like 65% or 79% VLT. If there was any titing, it was way above 90% for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Check the code written on the glass (bottom corner).

IIRC, Alto comes with 70% VLT on front/rear and 65% VLT on sides.

Rohan
Old 31st May 2012, 12:39   #2205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Please explain what you mean by tinted glass here. Blue / Gray tint or just the inherent greenish tinge of glass? Also, did the glass have any VLT specification on it?

Rajan
Rajan, not exactly. My windscreen has 'Green' specifically mentioned, which is the color of tint. I will post a pic soon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks