Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 22:04   #31
BHPian

Re: VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT

I had asked someone who has recently reviewed the 2020 GT TSI about the presence of ESP and hill hold. He has confirmed that the GT has ESP, not sure about hill hold though.

Let's hope it's true. Else it would be difficult to justify the 2L increase over the highline plus manual and about 50-60k over the rumoured highline plus automatic version.
Old 7th September 2020, 12:28   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

2020 Volkswagen Vento 1.0 TSI AT review

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-smartselect_20200907122617_chrome.jpg

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-smartselect_20200907122717_chrome.jpg

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-smartselect_20200907122635_chrome.jpg

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-418514
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 15:22   #33
BHPian

As mentioned in the review.

Quote:
Priced at Rs 12.99 lakh for the Highline Plus variant, this sole automatic offering (for now) is Rs 91,000 more expensive than a similarly specified manual.
Polo Highline plus MT costs Rs 8.02 Lakh
Polo GT TSI AT costs 9.67 Lakh

When price difference between Vento HL+ MT and Vento HL+ AT is Rs 91,000 how can Volkswagen price Rs 1.65 Lakh additionally for Polo GT, with same gearbox as Vento.

Additional Rs 74000 for Rear spoiler and GT badging?
RaceHorse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 16:10   #34
Team-BHP Support

The Autocar review mentioned that this is not the old 6 speed gearbox from the 1.6L MPI engine time.

It is a Japanese (lol @ vW having to go to japs for reliability) Aisin 6 speed unit.

A bit of digging around tells me this gearbox was used on Jetta and other VW cars in the USA where they didnt have DSG's till much later.

It is also in use for BMW 2 series tourer and Mini cooper entry level variants which have 3 cylinder engines.
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 16:37   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
A bit of digging around tells me this gearbox was used on Jetta and other VW cars in the USA where they didnt have DSG's till much later.

It is also in use for BMW 2 series tourer and Mini cooper entry level variants which have 3 cylinder engines.
Thanks, read the same sentence and was just reaching for Google myself. If it's been used for some time and especially with small 3 cylinder units, it should be a time tested trouble free unit then.

Now if only Skoda prices their base Rider Plus Auto at 8.49L - 8.99L.
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 11:36   #36
BHPian

Does anyone know whether the Torque Converter equipped Polo/ Vento can have the steering wheel swapped for one with Paddles shifters?

This has been a popular modification with the DSG equipped cars and I just wanted to know whether if it requires the DSG gearbox itself or this is possible for the newer cars as well.
If possible I think this would enhance the driving experience that many fear will be lost with the Torque converter (Apparently not so much according to reviews though).
Old 8th September 2020, 13:35   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
As mentioned in the review.

Polo Highline plus MT costs Rs 8.02 Lakh
Polo GT TSI AT costs 9.67 Lakh

Additional Rs 74000 for Rear spoiler and GT badging?
Don't worry - this will be corrected after an initial short period of price skimming. There are lots of queued up buyers for the earlier GT-TSI, who could not buy it before the BS6 transition. Many of them will unsuspectingly buy the new GT-TSI thinking it is the same car but converted to BS6. Such buyers are not very price conscious and just want an automatic car that looks good - they have the Polo GT-TSI as the car they want etched into their head, based on recommendations from friends and family. They are not going to be able to not tell the difference between a TC and a DSG nor do they care.

The pricing is not a surprise to them, since the earlier GT-TSI cost this much (if not more) and so, as soon as this model is launched with some good fanfare, this group of buyers will flock to it and get their copies in a couple of months. Once that happens, VW will lower the price of the Polo TSI Auto to reasonable levels, which IMO is around 8.5 lakhs, providing for a price premium of about 75K for the TC Auto box over the high-line Plus TSI Manual.

By the way, the HL Plus Manual is actually priced at 7.89 lakhs right now before dealer discounts (and not 8.02 lakhs).

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th September 2020 at 16:40. Reason: typo
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 14:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
They are not going to be able to not tell the difference between a TC and a DSG nor do they care.
Such buyers would go for a Baleno, Jazz or i20 which give more car per rupee. I think most of the TSI GT buyers are quite aware and are definitely knowledgeable about DSG/TC.
Guna is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 16:38   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think most of the TSI GT buyers are quite aware and are definitely knowledgeable about DSG/TC.
Agree. The Polo GT is a unique breed of buyer nowadays, one who eschews bling including 10" infotainment systems, air purifiers, panoramic sunroof etc.

He/she is knowingly going for a 10 year old model, a ancient hard plastic dashboard but with a lovely chassis & timeless European looks.

They will TD it and buy if they like it. Overall, I feel it will be a perfectly likeable car just not up to DSG standards.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 20:55   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Such buyers would go for a Baleno, Jazz or i20 which give more car per rupee. I think most of the TSI GT buyers are quite aware and are definitely knowledgeable about DSG/TC.
I know of at least 3 young ladies in my company who would not consider any of these vehicles. They see the i20 as downright ugly and the Baleno/Jazz as passe'. The Polo is seen by them as elegantly designed, sturdy and safe. Two of them were planning to get the GT TSI this year before it was withdrawn and were ready to wait until it is relaunched. The engine and gearbox specifications etc never entered the conversations so I am not sure the changes would matter to them.

Let us not forget that the Polo GT TSI had a very high percentage of women buyers who have a good eye for elegance in design and aesthetics.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 21:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

Let us not forget that the Polo GT TSI had a very high percentage of women buyers who have a good eye for elegance in design and aesthetics.
Agree, there are many people who like the Polo in general and if they needed an automatic at that, it had to be GT TSI. Those buyers wouldn't mind if they get a DSG or TC (they will be in fact happy if you tell them that TCs are more reliable)
Old 9th September 2020, 21:30   #42
BHPian

With the introduction of TC gearbox atleast the sword hanging over GB reliability is off the hook it seems. I am in the market for a new automatic hatchback and this and new Jazz are in my radar. I am not a bling and features person, so Polo would do just fine for me, but I am worried about servicing cost compared to Honda Jazz. Can experts throw some light on this?
Old 9th September 2020, 22:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
With the introduction of TC gearbox atleast the sword hanging over GB reliability is off the hook it seems. I am in the market for a new automatic hatchback and this and new Jazz are in my radar. I am not a bling and features person, so Polo would do just fine for me, but I am worried about servicing cost compared to Honda Jazz. Can experts throw some light on this?
Service is ofcourse on the higher side. You can expect anything between 9k-12k. However if your running is high, the service interval being at 15k km will compensate for the extra cost at the end of two consecutive services.
I would suggest you wait one more month, try out the i20 DCT+T-GDi combo and then take an informed decision.
SansGT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 11:18   #44
BHPian

I made a booking for Sonet diesel AT, but I still have eternal hope that Volkswagen would realize the mistake and correct the pricing of Polo GT, before the launch

I know both are different vehicles, but I just need a proper sub 4 meter automatic(only TC), which my wife can drive easily in the city,
at the same time I don't want to feel short changed after the purchase.
Old 10th September 2020, 15:15   #45
BHPian

Volkswagen has released the updated Polo brochure including the details of GT TSI.

As expected new additions in GT variant are ESC, Hill Hold Control, Rear spoiler and premier GT badging.

Site mentions
Quote:
Most badges are made, this one’s earned.
The badge of honor, the badge of power. Commanding respect at all times, the Polo GT TSI comes with the bold GT badge for you to flaunt.
Front Armrest with Rear AC vents has been given a miss, which is present in Highline plus MT.

The GT gets sportier 195/55 R16 section of tires, the HL+ MT gets 195/65 R16.

Polo GT is available in Candy White, Flash Red, Sunset Red , Carbon Steel and Lapiz Blue.

The price ₹ 9,67,000* is mentioned as introductory.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf polo-brochure.pdf (13.97 MB, 338 views)

Last edited by RaceHorse : 10th September 2020 at 15:21.
RaceHorse is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks