Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2020, 11:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Weirdest Reason you heard for a car purchase?

One person who stays in our street bought a Swift VXi in 2013 just to impress his wife’s relatives. It was a matter of prestige for him. They don’t have any requirements for a car at home. No one knows driving in that house and the car is always parked covered. They take out the cover only when any of his wife’s relatives visit them. The car has run around 800 km in the last 7 years out of which most of the runs were to the service center once in a year. They used to hire a driver to pickup and drop the car for the service. These days even those service center runs have stopped as they are availing Maruthi’s doorstep service.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 10th October 2020 at 11:14.
guyfrmblr is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 14:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
One of my father's colleagues was transferred to Mumbai in mid-1990's and employer was a PSU. Being in senior position they used to get car allowance. So, he bought an old car by paying 15K just to get the car allowance. After end of his tenure in Mumbai, he disposed the car almost at scrap rate
It was 2007. I was working for Mahindra Firstchoice then. I procured a 1987 model white M800 for around 12,000 which hardly drove. It was sold the very next day for 15,000 "as is where is". The reason why the person purchased was same as given by you. He wanted to submit documents in his office that he owned a car to get car allowance!
fazayal is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 15:12   #33
BHPian

I don,t know if it would be called weired or not but my friends think so. I sell my car whenever i get the right price. I have been able to fetch almost the same price for a car I used for over a year. So the second car may just disappear any day (I dont touch my wife's car, our primary highway drive). I have been able to buy and sell 10 cars in last 11 years in comulative loss of 1 Lacs excluding the insurance and servicing. 3 cars I was lucky to sell at same price i got a year back. My running is just 5-6k per year. In same way a new car may come into my garage whenever I find a desperate buyer and within my budget. While most peorple will change a car due to some or other reason, mine are changed because I just want a change. My friends say its wiered that I change cars just for sake of it. My signature is now short of space.
drsnt is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 16:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
My friend Aryan has a 20 year old family business. His neighbour entered into the same sector in 2010. Now whenever Aryan's family gets a new car, his neighbour also purchases the same car in same colour within a few weeks. This had happened 3 times in the past and was more of an ego issue now!

Last year in June, Aryan purchased a white Endeavour with 0004 fancy number. Few months later, his neighbour made an exception and got home a white Fortuner. Just as he thought the ego clash was finally over, he noticed that the Fortuner's plate ended with 0004.
Hehe, I know a family in my relations who did the same while they were at their peak. See the family was (yes it was) in the business of chemical transport started in the 1980s. Later the brothers split and the business was booming well into the 90s. But the split resulted into a rivalry with each family having decided to have one more transport tanker than the other.

As a result they each had more than 15 tankers (last I know it was 17 as the highest count) in their business. Eventually it all stopped as the business dynamics changed and one of the two families went out of business due to no one in the next generation wanting to carry forward the same business. They wanted to get into Real-Estate next

So this was a bit weird for me to digest but I guess personal rivalry and/or jealousy can make you do anything

Last edited by sunilch : 10th October 2020 at 16:54.
sunilch is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 10:02   #35
BHPian

Re: Weirdest Reason you heard for a car purchase?

This is not regarding car but television but after reading all these stories, I can't rid myself of the itch to not share

Mods : Please delete this if not relevant

So my parents bought furniture for our living room, and one item in that was a a TV stand, around 5K in value, and now that the TV stand was there, we had to buy a TV to compensate for that, which we bought for 65K.

The only use that TV has seen till now is when I get back home from my outstation job (once in 3-4 months) and play Youtube in it because apart from that the only decent speakers are in the car or whenever my parents want to show someone some family function videos by plugging in the pen-drive (For which we have another not so small TV and 2 laptops in the house)

For all effective purposes, the TV is a showpiece
lancia_fanboy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 10:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
My friend Aryan has a 20 year old family business. His neighbour entered into the same sector in 2010. Now whenever Aryan's family gets a new car, his neighbour also purchases the same car in same colour within a few weeks. This had happened 3 times in the past and was more of an ego issue now!

Last year in June, Aryan purchased a white Endeavour with 0004 fancy number. Few months later, his neighbour made an exception and got home a white Fortuner. Just as he thought the ego clash was finally over, he noticed that the Fortuner's plate ended with 0004.
Oh my god, this is a real thing!! Ask me!

My father's parents house is on a street with two more houses. One of the houses has a police officer who would always try and pick a fight with my grandfather over anything and everything. I don't know where or how this started but it's real. He would throw waste and old stones along our compound wall which broke holes into the wall and that was the beginning of a rat menace.

This man had only a splendor bike in the beginning. So did my grand father.

But then a few years later, my grandfather bought a Maruti 800 for my aunt and my dad bought one for himself. Next thing you know, A silver Maruti 800 AC was on the other side of the street.

When we got our TATA Indigo, we didn't go to that house a lot, we were in Jamnagar. But when we got back, guess who got himself an indigo CS??

The indigo went and in came the Ritz. This cop's son recently got himself employed and got himself a brown Ritz.
We moved out of that place and after that we had an i10 and a Safari.
I didn't follow what cars they had but we went in the safari a few times there and one fine dussehra morning, we decided to go to my grandparent's place. And guess what we found out this time

He married his daughter to someone with a safari storme.
viXit is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 10:52   #37
BHPian

The year was 2013 and my close friend was getting married. His father in law wanted to gift a car to the couple. The car's in the list were Maruti Suzuki Swift, Hyundai i20 and Chevrolet Sail UVA. My friend had zero knowledge about cars during that period. He asked his better half to choose the car and she chose 'Chevrolet Sail UVA'. Once the car was delivered, he called me to share the news.

I was amused about why did they chose 'Chevrolet Sail UVA' over other two hot selling cars. When I met the couple, I asked the question and the answer left me quite shocking. His wife replied "Anna (Elder Brother in Tamil), I like the name Chevrolet" and I was like
TorqueKnight is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 11:04   #38
BHPian

I wanted to buy the Fiat Punto Evo so bad and the only logical reasoning I could give my dad for the purchase was, "It has the fattest tyres for a petrol hatch and this requirement of mine is non-negotiable".

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 14th October 2020 at 11:08.
Divya Sharan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 11:23   #39
BHPian

One of my friend was about to buy a Pulsar 220. It was his childhood dream machine.

Just at that time, Bajaj introduced the infamous 'haathi mat paalo' dominar ads.

He got pissed by those ads and straight away bought a RR Classic 350.

He said, P220 may be his dream, but he didn't like the Bajaj's attitude on those ads.
Asish_VK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 11:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me very old memory. This happened around 1995. One of our neighbor's (Aunty) said one day that they purchased Gadi (People call 2 Wheeler also as Gadi in India.. LOL) at their hometown for 5 thousands. My Mom thought they might have bought some 2 wheeler. But they said they bought car, old Fiat. We all were very surprised as nobody was there to drive it. Their in laws where to old to drive. We asked why they purchased it then? The answer was epic! She told that her Father in Law's wish was, people should say "Carwale Mr. XXXX gaye (died)" after his death. That was still the best reason I ever heard to buy a car!!

Car was lying in front of their home in hometown for few years is what i know. God knows what happened later as we shifted from there.

Last edited by aniketi : 14th October 2020 at 11:57.
aniketi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 12:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

You’ll be surprised to see how easy it is to learn driving on big engined diesel SUVs. Visibility is excellent, bikes and autos don’t cut your way, there is ample low end torque, the clutch is not sharp and you just about never stall. They are very forgiving. I learnt driving on a Scorpio myself.
Agreed! far easier to learn on a big car with oil burner than a Alto/Wagon-r.
buntee90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 12:28   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Hi All,

I have not heard a weirder reason for someone to buy something so expensive.

So my question to all of you What is the weirdest reason you have heard for someone buying their vehicle?

Mods: Could not find a related thread here. Kindly merge if already available.
We should talk to people who buy iPhones

Anyways, this is not a reason for buying but for rejecting a car long back in 2004.
  • I (6'4 & dad 5'11) can't sit back to back in the car.
  • My leg touches the steering wheel.

While the second reason is still acceptable, the first reason is junked. I for one never have sat back to back with my dad. This came as a point when I got the GT TSI and dad brought up the same reason that i haven't got smaller than that in 2004 . Heart over head
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 12:28   #43
BHPian

Count me in also as guilty !

I brought the Tigor XZ+ in Jan 2019 just because of the new dark blue color ,those part leather seats, great alloys and the touchscreen !

Just had to have it...
Nanolover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 12:40   #44
BHPian

One of my friends has a long commute to office, which left him dead tired by the end of the day.
So one fine day he decided to travel by Metro - the only problem was that the nearest Metro station was about 5 kms before his office, so he also needed to use an Autorickshaw for this last stretch of commute.

Things went fine for a couple of months but then his wallet and mobile phone were nicked while travelling in the shared autorickshaw.
So he bought an old beater, a rattly ageing Wagon R which he parks at the Metro parking lot. This car is only used by him to travel from the Metro station to his office and back again.!
His wife drops him to the Metro Station near his home and also picks him up in the evening.
Have never understood his logic of spending so much money on parking charges, but he thinks that's the best approach.
Almetal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 12:49   #45
BHPian

Re: Weirdest Reason you heard for a car purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
One of my relatives bought an old car - an 800 - just to retain stake on a parking space in mumbai. It was their parking but because it's an old building with short supply you lose the parking if you don't occupy it or don't ah e a car. Some weird society rules. LOL.
I can definitely identify with this - I retained my old WagonR even when it was not being used, only to hold parking slot in my society in Mumbai
pathik@2020 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks