Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you willing to spend more for a conventional automatic over an AMT?
Yes 412 88.98%
No 51 11.02%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2022, 08:38   #76
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are you willing to pay more for a conventional automatic over an AMT?

Voted YES

Had the manufacturers not gone and developed unreliable AMTs we could have had sensibly priced TC ATs a long while ago.

Can blame Maruti for this as everyone else had to be competitive once they started pushing out the worst AMT in the market which is not serviceable. Or the Manufacturer itself has not established a service interval for it.

I believe any new tech should not be a step back from established norm. And doing transmission flushes and accumulator replacements in a shorter cycle then MT or ATs is not a step ahead definitely.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 09:17   #77
BHPian

Yes, for sure.

See the following thread for issues with AMT and how some manufacturers are handling it - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...placement.html (Tata Tiago AMT gearbox issue | Unresolved even after expensive actuator replacement)

Traditional TCs win over AMTs both in performance and reliability. So, for me, it is really worth the extra cost.
TheWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 09:35   #78
BHPian

I have absolutely no problems with AMTs. They are convenient, reliable and get the job done. In the dense traffic of Delhi NCR there is hardly any use case for a super fast dual clutch transmission. I have been driving a Swift AMT for close to 3 years now and am completely satisfied with it's performance.

I am not willing to shell out extra cash for a "proper automatic".
kushagra452 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 11:49   #79
BHPian

AMT's are just another choice for the consumer! They have their place in the market, and definitely will find favor with first time buyers or people looking for convenience at a slight premium. Most people on this forum voting on the poll might represent a bias, and not necessarily represent the entire car buying population.

AMT's are selling, because there is a demand. Period.

As for my car, a full spec'd automatic will do, until an AMT comes along which can even beat a dual clutch in gear changing and actuation, while maintaining sane costs. Hey, with good value engineering, anything is possible!
reppy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 16:05   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
They are convenient, reliable and get the job done... I have been driving a Swift AMT for close to 3 years
I agree with the convenience part, but, not very sure about the reliability part! There are a quite a lot of problems reported in AMTs post 4-5 years and customers being forced to shell out large amounts from their pockets. Hopefully, in terms of response to issues, Maruti may be better compared to other manufacturers.
TheWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks