Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Skoda Superb today?
Yes 230 54.12%
No 195 45.88%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2021, 23:55   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)

Voted yes.

I bought a 2011 Superb 1.8 TSI MT in 2016. The car had done 15k kms at the time. Today it stands at about 57k km. For the price we paid, its a steal.
16 lacs sounds high for 2016 car. But I tend to unvervalue cars. The gen 2 is more rounded and softer than the gen 3 Superb which became sharp and edgy - styling wise. Both are beautiful cars.

Here's pics from 2016 when I got the car.

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-img20160718wa0037.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-img20160718wa0046.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-img20160718wa0047.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-img20160718wa0048.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-img20160718wa0050.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-photo_20160715_193942.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-photo_20161106_133747.jpg
nitrogary is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 23:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes : The 2.0TSi / 2.0TDi would be my pick just because of the DSG.
A car within warranty would be preferred but would settle for one with a clean service history and green signal during inspection.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 00:01   #18
BHPian

Voted Yes.

My question to the owners and experts here.
What is your suggestion regarding a 2nd generation 1.8 tsi 160hp manual transmission? Regards reliability.
For someone considering a used Skoda Laura 1.8 tsi and planning to tune it how about the Superb instead ?
Old 26th May 2021, 00:45   #19
BHPian

The 1.8 TSI MT would be on the top of my list. Great VFM limo that should likely tick all the boxes, especially for the chauffeur-driven.

Reasonable to drive on the highways as well, its a hidden jewel amongst the sea of unreliable, legacy defining DSGs.
srikanth.vemuri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 10:45   #20
BHPian

Hell no! Looks might be subjective, but the Superb/Passat have always been the car for a post 50, senior executive, chauffeur driven individual. The Octavia/Jetta are the sweet spot when it comes to sedans for me. The Superb is too big and unwieldy for city driving and is too low on the highways for my liking. The car looks dated and will look even more dated in a few years time. 17L is crazy money for it. Stretch and get a Tiguan/T-Roc/C5/Tucson/Octavia instead?

Why in God's good name would you want to mod a Superb?? It's like modding an Innova. It's too big to have fun with and looks wannabe when compared to similarly modded Octavia. Needless to say, modding it will void any warranty hopes one has and will end up in a tearful situation come repair time.

Last edited by yd_gli : 26th May 2021 at 10:56.
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 11:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted no.

Because, I want the car to work for me and not the other way around.

In my world, cars should be useful, all the time, without having downtime except for routine maintenance, 3 times a year.

No Skoda would cut that for me, specially used ones.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 11:21   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes. But being a higher end Skoda car and the issues with the DQ200 DSG, will probably look at it only if it is a diesel AT with some warranty left over.

One of my favorite cars though. Oozes class. Remember simply sitting inside the display car when this 3rd gen was launched when I went with a friend to check out the Octavia
Old 26th May 2021, 12:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Voted no for this exact same reason. The city does everything the Superb does and has at par Snob value in India. Getting a City for 14 lakhs and kitting it for 3 lakhs will provide you with a far superior experience.

The driving pleasure will be offset by the supreme Honda reliability plus new car factor!
If you're comparing a City for a Superb, you are far from the point. The Superb is a love affair which is likely to go wrong. Yes, the electronics fail, the gremlins are always there. You will probably text your mechanic more than your boss or wife or partner, but make no mistake. There isn't another car out there with more bang for the buck. Period.
Avoid the second generation 1.8TSi with DQ200. Go for the 1.8 MT instead. The 2016 version had some known issues like the faulty DRLs and AC failures et al. Set some money aside for em cuz they WILL fail at some point. But it's a beautiful motor. Revs hard, built solid. 1000+ km drives in it will be nothing out of the ordinary. If city driving is its primary function, you're better off in a Nano or Spresso.
Most people have problems with luxury barges because they don't use it for the purpose that the car was designed for.
You don't use a sledgehammer to pull out the car's interior trims, do you!?!
bhargav2015 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 12:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes.

I was actively looking for one early this year till plans changed. In BLR at least, finding a well maintained Superb is not easy as these are mostly chauffeured vehicles. Finding a manual is even tougher as very few manuals were sold.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 12:53   #25
BHPian

Voted for yes! But, I'll go for 2.0 TDI AT eyes closed as the gearbox is quite reliable when compared to 1.8 TSI DSG, which the gearbox has its own share of issues!

In fact, I've been searching for one as the replacement for one of our cars but the ones I searched for are expensive and more Kms on the odo!
Old 26th May 2021, 14:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

An anology to this comparison is, comparing a Ford Ecosport with the Ford Endeavour(3.2)! Both absolutely awesome vehicles in their own right, but we all know which one is better pick if you have the moolah
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Beg to differ sir. Honda City is not even 50% of Superb in most of the parameters - be it engine, performance, handling, high speed stability, luxury, interior quality etc. Infact its not a comparison at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav2015 View Post
If you're comparing a City for a Superb, you are far from the point. The Superb is a love affair which is likely to go wrong. Most people have problems with luxury barges because they don't use it for the purpose that the car was designed for.
You don't use a sledgehammer to pull out the car's interior trims, do you!?!
I get what all of you have said. I have had my share share of "Unhealthy Love affairs", check out my signature for more details.

My point was, the difference in value added by a Skoda Superb over City is incremental and not Massive. Someone, who makes the decision from the heart, may go for a USED SUPERB, but someone, who makes the decision from the Head, can never buy the Superb over a New city.
  • Space - City is good enough to meet all 5 seater needs
  • Boot Space - City is good enough
  • Safety - Both should be at PAR I think (current gen city vs the 3rd Gen superb)
  • Looks - City is good enough (subjective, I prefer the city to the Superb due to the additional elongation in the Superb. I prefer the Octavia over the City though)
  • Snob Value - Depends from city to city (where I come from, Skoda is a disaster purchase)
  • Reliability - City wins hands down
  • Service support - City wind hands down
  • Driving Dynamics - I think City has an advantage here
  • Driving Pleasure - I think Superb wins here

I would seriously suggest you look at the latest City and the recent additions to it. The reason why the C+ segment has died off. (I know superb is a D Segment car, FYI )

Last edited by 2000rpm : 26th May 2021 at 14:53.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 21:41   #27
BHPian

Judging by the overwhelming number of 'Nay' s on this thread and the reasons behind, it seems that Skoda would sell far more Superbs through a wet lease long term subscription plan ! (7 year)
Old 27th May 2021, 21:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I get what all of you have said. I have had my share share of "Unhealthy Love affairs", check out my signature for more details.

My point was, the difference in value added by a Skoda Superb over City is incremental and not Massive. Someone, who makes the decision from the heart, may go for a USED SUPERB, but someone, who makes the decision from the Head, can never buy the Superb over a New city.

I would seriously suggest you look at the latest City and the recent additions to it. The reason why the C+ segment has died off. (I know superb is a D Segment car, FYI )

I would differ here. Would like to share my car purchase that happened just before the lockdown in April this year.

I had to buy a second car for myself, first being an eight and half year old Yeti, 4*4, which btw, despite being caught up in flash floods in August, 20, has been performing flawlessly.

Visited the nearby Honda showroom looking for a civic. However, was informed the civic had been discontinued. Sat in the rear seat of a city. The city was a fail (no offence meant) instantly. Bought myself a 2019 Octavia 1.4 manual instead-6,000 kms driven. Had a drive on the KMP expressway immediately after purchase. What a gem.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th May 2021 at 10:25. Reason: Please trim quoted post while replying. Thanks.
deepfusion is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 09:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Voted no.

Because, I want the car to work for me and not the other way around.

In my world, cars should be useful, all the time, without having downtime except for routine maintenance, 3 times a year.

No Skoda would cut that for me, specially used ones.
Having owned a Skoda since 2010 (Rapid and then Octavia), I'm not sure if there is any fact in that comment. I have never taken my car to the service station apart from routine maintenance (yearly) or for accident repair. Maybe we should conduct a poll among Skoda owners to understand how many are actually happy with their car and the service.

Not sure what you are referring to by 3 times a year.

Last edited by Lambydude : 28th May 2021 at 09:15.
Lambydude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 10:22   #30
BHPian

Voted No! Love the design, built and luxury it offers. But not worth donating lakhs to Skoda service centres or spend valuable time of my life arguing with service managers, emailing dealership and tagging skoda officials on twitter! That too for just straight line speed with vague steering. No thank you! If I really have to have a luxury barge, it has to be a spanking new Skoda with warranty or a Camry. If I ever pick up a used skoda, it will be a VRS to make things worthwhile atleast. But even that's doubtful as it's still a front wheel drive.
IN07KL0484 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks