Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Skoda Superb today?
Yes 230 54.12%
No 195 45.88%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2021, 16:26   #1
Team-BHP Support

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)

Buying a used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)

The 1st-gen Skoda Superb was launched in India in 2004. It royally flopped because it was too bland, too expensive and looked too much like the smaller Octavia. The B6 (2nd-gen) Superb was the one that made things right for the Czech carmaker. Not only was it priced aggressively, it also offered unmatched cabin space, comfort, equipment & quality (GTO called it a game-changer in this article). No wonder it became the best-selling sedan in the D2 segment, outselling the Honda Accord, VW Passat and Toyota Camry. The 3rd-gen car, which was launched in 2016, has continued where its predecessor left off. The formula is similar = it is spacious, loaded with features, boasts a solid build, a VFM price etc. Yet somehow, the 3rd-gen didn't create that flutter and 'wow' factor in the market as the 2nd-gen car did. Could be due to the very understated styling, the pricing not being as aggressive and the market moving on to crossovers / SUVs. In fact, the Passat, Accord & Teana are all gone. The Superb & Camry are the sole warriors of the D2-sedan segment.

Used Skoda Superb Pros

• 75% of the A6 / E-Class / 5-Series luxury at Kia Sonet & Hyundai Creta prices
• A car that punches above its weight & how
• Timeless, elegant styling with “big car” presence. Fit, finish & build quality are top class
• Awesome space and comfort, including at the rear. Beats luxury cars costing twice as much
• Classy cabin is luxurious & practical. Cavernous 625 liter boot gobbles up big bags!
• Enjoyable 12-speaker Canton sound system includes a punchy subwoofer
• Terrific diesel & petrol engines mated to fast gearboxes. Petrol available with a manual tranny too
• Comfortable ride quality is just perfect for Indian roads
• Surprisingly easy to drive for such a large car. Driving experience makes us smile
• Loaded with features & technology. Equipment list runs pages long…
• 5-star safety rating & kit - 8 airbags, ESP, TC, ABS + EBD, EDL and lots more
• 6-year extended warranty available (a must-have on any Skoda)
• Attention to detail (THREE lights in the boot, felt-lined & illuminated door pockets, ticket holder on windscreen, boss button, triple-zone climate, rear headrests with outer support, request sensors even on the rear doors, umbrellas with a drainage system…)

Used Skoda Superb Cons

• The petrol's DQ200 AT has an extremely high probability of failure (diesel's DSG is more reliable)
• Skoda’s notorious dealerships & after-sales horror stories
• Complex electronics, expensive spares & suspect long-term reliability. Many 2nd-gen Superb owners have wept
• Single digit fuel economy of the turbo-petrol in the city
• More practical, reliable & efficient 2.0 diesel is not as easy to find as the 1.8 petrol. Diesel sold lesser
• Shorter, tighter & lighter Octavia is more fun to drive. The Superb is like a limousine!
• In such a luxo-barge, we’d prefer a RWD instead of a FWD layout
• DSGs can get jerky in crawling traffic (between 1st - 3rd gears). It’s an inherent DSG trait
• Sheer size means the car isn’t really city-friendly. Good luck in tight lanes & parking spots
• Some product planning goof-ups by Skoda (limited colours, no navigation in early cars, no diesel MT)
• 156 mm of ground clearance, coupled with a long wheelbase and soft suspension
• No full-size spare wheel provided

Related Threads

Official Review

GTO's Superb L&K

DDiSLover's Blue Sportline

hillsnrains' pre-worshipped Superb

The 2019 Price Cut

The 10,00,000th Superb

Skoda Superb vs Toyota Camry

Octavia or Superb?

Mod Potential

Like all VAG cars, the Superb is very mod-friendly. With a simple Vag-Com / VCDS, you could have some fun at home. There are also many aesthetic & performance mods available worldwide. Although, we will add that, if you want to mod a lot, you should probably consider the Octavia instead of a limousine like the Superb.

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-skodamod5.jpg
Source: Stay Tuned India - Facebook

Availability

Decent for the D2 segment. The Superb has been a popular car in the big cities, regularly selling at over 200 units per month. You might have trouble outside the Tier-1 cities though. While we see plenty of 1.8 TSI petrols (which suffer poor long-term reliability), the 2.0 TDI diesel's availability is lesser (diesel was priced much higher than the petrol, and it was launched later). Will further add that, if you want a trouble-free & fuss-free ownership experience, go for a used Toyota Camry instead. Check out the Superbs on sale - link.

Pictures of a 2016, 22,000 km done Superb 1.8 TSI MT with an asking price of Rs. 17.99 lakh. This is a good looking, single owner, fully loaded luxury car with a full service history, maintained at a Skoda authorised service center for Honda City money:

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-2.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-1.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-3.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-4.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-6.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-5.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-7.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2021 at 18:29.
Aditya is online now   (42) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 16:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This car doesn't get a simple yes / no answer from me. In fact, I vote for a yes only subject to the following conditions:

- It's a 2.0 Diesel (1.8 TSI DSG is a troublesome combination). BHPians like Sahil & Hayek have suffered a lot with the 1.8 DSG.

- Has to be within warranty, so that I can extend it for another couple of years.

- You absolutely need an expert independent mechanic to own one. Else, once your car is out of the 6-year warranty coverage, your local Skoda stealership will rip you & your bank account apart like a hungry tiger does a meek calf. You will be finished.

- Diesel's DQ250 6-speed AT is more robust. The Petrol's DQ200 is destined to fail. Last thing I want is to be stranded with the family in the middle of a Bombay-Mahabaleshwar drive.

If you can find a car that meets all of these conditions, go for it. If not, get a Camry.
GTO is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 16:46   #3
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)

I've voted no. Don't get me wrong, I love every car from Skoda stable, clean smooth designs with a certain character to each car. I would rather be the first owner of a Skoda (rather of any brand, except for Toyota) , get max possible warranty for it, enjoy it for say 4 years and sell it off. It's a complex German machine and some part will fail in coming years of ownership. Also there's no way to know how the previous owner has handled her. Even if you get it inspected thoroughly, some parts may fail later in your ownership which might cost very much to replace or repair. I would rather deal with a known devil than with an unknown angel.
Akshay6988 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 17:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Pictures of a 2016, 22,000 km done Superb 1.8 TSI MT with an asking price of Rs. 17.99 lakh. This is a good looking, single owner, fully loaded luxury car with a full service history, maintained at a Skoda authorised service center for Honda City money:
Voted no for this exact same reason. The city does everything the Superb does and has at par Snob value in India. Getting a City for 14 lakhs and kitting it for 3 lakhs will provide you with a far superior experience.

The driving pleasure will be offset by the supreme Honda reliability plus new car factor!
2000rpm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 17:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted yes. This is a car that punches way above its weight for the price it commands when new, and a used one is an even more tempting proposition. Having said that, my choice would be the 2.0 TDI DSG due to the following reasons:

- Has the more reliable 6-speed DSG with the wet clutch. It's not a completely reliable gearbox per say in the sense that flywheel failures do occur, but it's relatively cheap to fix as compared to the DQ200 which ends up busting it's mechatronics or wearing it's clutch pack out prematurely

- The 2.0 TDI itself is very reliable and even the infamous water pump issues plaguing the EA189 series engines have been sorted out more or less on the EA288 series engines. The 1.8 TSI still has issues pertaining to the water pump and thermostat assembly (uses an electronic thermostat which is prone to leaking and shorting it's own couplers) which will cost around 50k to set right. Issues with oil consumption seem to have been addressed unlike the previous engines though

Coming to electronics, the Superb has plenty of them. And its prudent to check for the following:

- Start/Stop button sometimes malfunctions. The internal contacts wear out. Not a very expensive fix but something to look out for

- Broken AC vents and steering mounted Control scroller wheels are a common (and sore) sight. Both do cost a bomb to fix at dealerships considering they are plastic trim pieces after all

- The most expensive electronic gremlin is the DRLs conking off. They go yellow and eventually fade off. This is due to Indian climate and heat which they can't stand. Goodwill warranty is usually honoured, but if not, replacing the entire headlamp for 50+k a piece is the only option

The usual suspects like the suspension, bodywork etc are also obviously to be kept in mind while hunting for one. If someone is very keen on the petrol, I would strongly suggest a manual. It not only chucks the DQ200 out of the equation but also makes more torque (250 vs 320nm). It's a shame the 2.0 TDI doesn't come in manual guise. Would have been the default option for chauffeur driven owners.

Last edited by vishy76 : 25th May 2021 at 17:39.
vishy76 is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 17:37   #6
BHPian

Voted- Yes but with contingencies.

There is no doubt that the Superb is an amazing car with close to unmatched value for money in that bracket. In fact, I feel that the VFM only increases when it reaches the second-hand market because of the long list of bells and whistles. The only real problem that I see is the long-term maintenance. The VAG group is notorious for their service problems as seen over numerous Team-BHP threads. A long list of bells and whistles also means that the likelihood of something failing increases in the long term, which of course adds to the potential ownership costs.

Being a fellow VW owner for more than a decade now, I know that if maintained directly via authorized centres these cars can burn a hole in your pocket should something go wrong. Of course, I do realize that this is a rather generic and negative generalization assuming the worst-case scenario of things breaking down. I'm sure there are many Superbs out there that yet have a lot of life in them! Well maintained Superbs can last a really long time as proven by the previous generations of the model which are still going strong

This might feel like comparing apples to oranges, but if you stretch your budget just a little bit you can enter E-Class/5 Series territory. There are many handsome examples of BMWs and Mercs that are quite new at a similar price point as compared to the Superb.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 17:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

This isn't an easy Yes or No. If someone has a budget of 15-20L and intends to buy the Superb, it's a strict NO from my end. The person might get even the (relatively) trustable Diesel AT, but still it will burn a quite a huge hole in your pocket. The aftersales though improved is still a massive question mark for me.

However, if someone has the budget of 35-40L, should definitely consider this one. Even if the annual maintenance is in the range of 1L, this won't pose huge questions to the buyer. Also one more criteria that while buying an used Skoda Luxo barge, you should absolutely have a second car (that can do those highway runs too). You will never sleep peacefully if you blindly trust the Superb to remain reliable for a long duration.

Voted No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Voted no for this exact same reason. The city does everything the Superb does and has at par Snob value in India. Getting a City for 14 lakhs and kitting it for 3 lakhs will provide you with a far superior experience.

The driving pleasure will be offset by the supreme Honda reliability plus new car factor!
Absolutely NOT sir!! City isn't anywhere near the Superb be it in terms of Engine refinement, in general cabin insulation, build quality, space, comfort, features, performance (pick any engine and transmission), safety features and the high speed manners. Except the ASS, this isn't anywhere near to the Superb, forget being better. Not even the Snob value.

PS-This is coming from an ex Honda Amaze owner.

An anology to this comparison is, comparing a Ford Ecosport with the Ford Endeavour(3.2)! Both absolutely awesome vehicles in their own right, but we all know which one is better pick if you have the moolah

Last edited by 07CR : 25th May 2021 at 17:44.
07CR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 17:52   #8
BHPian

I now have to go buy a barge pole and then ensure I don't let that barge pole anywhere near this.

Even the 6-speed DSG gets a conditional reliability thumbs up from people with usual disclaimers around the flywheel, extended warranty, goodwill warranty, etc. The 7-speed issues are well documented here.

This is a car best had new and sold off at the first sign of trouble. Or, if you have had it all through, then maybe this can be a long-term ride. Buying someone else's Superb (or any other Skoda) you will always have this nagging thought that things may someday go horribly wrong.

Tapish
Tapish is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 18:25   #9
BHPian

I love the Superb and yet voted No. I have a simple philosophy - no used Europeans. If I have the money to splurge, I would prefer buying it new and have some peace of mind with the warranty in place.
octane_100 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 18:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted NO.

I seriously considered this option while looking for pre loved Compasses late last year. The prices being asked are simply too high to be attractive. The diesel which has long been discontinued, people still demand 25L+ for a car with 6 years of life remaining (NCR rules). Makes no sense. You can get a C or even an E Class for similar money if you look hard enough. The petrol with the DQ200 is simply to unreliable to be bought pre owned.

A proverbial white elephant, this is a car best bought new, and sold as soon as there is any sign of trouble. You don’t want to spend 2.5 million rupees and then loose peace of mind as well. There are more practical, reliable and appealing options to be had in the used car market at these kind of prices.

PS: a pre owned Octavia RS with the wet clutch and higher rated DQ380 will be a more sensible buy than a pre owned petrol Superb.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 25th May 2021 at 18:39.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 18:44   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Voted yes.

Have owned a 2nd gen (3T) for 3 years and have driven it considerably for an 8-11 year car (Hyderabad-Manipal, Manipal-Bangalore, Bangalore-Lucknow, Lucknow-Gurgaon and back).

Reliability is patchy and the electronics (especially the AC) are absolutely horrendous. Have had my considerable share of troubles with parts failing.

But, BUT (there's always a but), the list of equipment is fantastic and the comfort is unreal. Plus Skoda's service is improving (but not TAFE Bangalore).

The 6 speed DQ250 was janky as hell but amazing at the same time. Pulls like a train in every gear. Pretty amazing handling for a boat. Have done a midnight run on Agumbe hill. Heavy steering made it an absolute joy (I don't know if my rack was dying. Heavy steering is a love affair)

The sunroof was a big hit when cruising near coastlines. Friends would be awestruck as headlights would move with steering input.

It was my first car ever and if I get a shot at 3V, I'll buy one without skipping a beat (provided it's in good condition and is the 1.8 TSI)

Here's some pictures before being sold off to Kanjoos24. This car has seen quite a bit of India (for a luxo barge. These things never leave city boundaries in our country).
(Please excuse the fallen off shroud, became loose after lens cleaning):
Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210525181635_instagram.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210525183552_instagram.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210525183328_instagram.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210525183646_instagram.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-20180923_073718.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210525183419_instagram.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210525183311_instagram.jpg

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 25th May 2021 at 18:48.
vredesbyrd is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 18:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. As much as I love the Superb, it's simply too much car for my usage. It will be a pain to drive in the city and not much fun on the highways either.
Octavia is 80% superb and I will gladly pick one up over Superb any day.
speedmiester is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 18:58   #13

If I was eligible to vote , it would be an instant YES but only if it had to be the 2.0 TDI just like many others. The superb is by far very underrated in terms of VFM factor considering the features it offers and the sassy 2.0 TDI / DSG combo.
I've personally seen and driven a friend's 2.0 TDI L&K that clocked over 1L kms in 3 years that hasn't had any major niggle but still performs outright like a brand new one.
KP56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 18:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes

But my pick would only be the pre-worshipped 2L TDi (hard to find them though) and not the unreliable 1.8L TSI + DQ200 combination. A manual 1.8L TSI might be interesting but an automatic suits these cars better!

And instead of the 1.8L TSI AT I would anyday prefer a new 2L TSI with the safer DQ381.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 25th May 2021 at 19:01.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 20:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

No for me. Superb is definitely a good buy as new car, but as an used one (considering the used car prices in Bangalore) I would stretch a bit more and go for 3 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post

Beg to differ sir. Honda City is not even 50% of Superb in most of the parameters - be it engine, performance, handling, high speed stability, luxury, interior quality etc. Infact its not a comparison at all.
sunikkat is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks