Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 12:16   #31
BANNED

Re: Cars that got almost everything right - if only

Chevrolet Optra Magnum with that Detroit Diesel 2.0 and the Tata Hexa.
Old 19th July 2021, 12:23   #32

5. Octavia - No sunroof on a 35L car. Also over the years, Octavia has replaced Superb in pricing.. Loses on best in next segment tag now. It literally has no competition!![/quote]

I am someone who posts rarely , but I have owned Polo Vento Octavia and Audi A4 , all four from the VAG stable over the last 7 years .

On octavia - the sunroof develops rattles , no amount of fixing helps . So they seem to have eliminated it . Also my octavias gear box gave up ghost in Santacruz one day at 1 am , returning from Pune .

With the high degree of unreliability and the oompa lumpas employed in service centre’s I am off the VAG stable now . Never again .
redjeck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:39   #33
BHPian

I think the 5th generation City is a perfect package. Especially the V variant is absolute value for money. Has everything except for the sunroof. Honda could have brought the CVT to diesel as well, but I feel diesel is already overpriced and adding a CVT would make the top end variant close to 19L OTR.
TheWall is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:42   #34
BHPian

I was looking for some love for our beloved Honda City in this thread. The car has been on the road for ages literally. In the sea of Pseudo-SUVs and dying sedans the City in its 5th generation is still holding onto its own.

Sure it has become expensive, but compare it with any other car in similar price range and you can't help but appreciate the value it offers. It has always delivered a premium experience coupled with legendary reliability. It has become more secure in its latest avatar with inclusion of safety features such as 6 airbags and still remains easy on the pocket when it comes to long term ownership.

Only blemish - ground clearance. Our potholed roads with those speed breakers ensure that low GC of the City remains a concern.
TheVegabond is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:59   #35
IMP
BHPian

Honda Jazz / WRV

With the CVT gearbox and iDtec diesel engine combination from the amaze. They have the ammunition, but do not choose to use it? I don't understand why. A few more features, better rear seats and bigger wheels would do wonders to its sales figures IMO.
IMP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 13:01   #36
BHPian

For me it has to be Jeep Compass.

When it was launched it didn't have an AT and that too in a premium category it was positioned. I personally waited for them to launch AT especially in diesel. However, when they introduced AT, it was in petrol and it was such a lethargic combo.
Then they teased the customers with Trailhawk model and took their own sweet time to launch it. When it was launched it was priced exhorbitantly (of course due to 4x4 hardware).

Finally when the launched diesel AT, customers had moved on
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 13:50   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt3t0uring View Post
For me it would be tata nano, perfect size, ample of space inside.
Same here. I'm with the Tata Nano GenX. Here's what I love about the car:

- Good headroom even for 6-footers
- Good legroom to fit a 6-footer behind another
- VFM pricing
- 180mm ground clearance
- Opening boot for easier maintenance
- Larger fuel tank than before
- 5-speed automatic
- Thick steering and stalks from Tiago
- Cheap to buy, run, and maintain
- Plenty of features for the price (vanity mirror, BT/USB/Aux music system, 4 speakers, parcel shelf, remote central locking, all omni-directional+closable AC vents, fog lamps, MID with insta FE and trip FE, dead pedal, fabric and vinyl padding on doors, front power windows, theater dimming cabin light)
- Rear engine, rear wheel drive (a rare combination)

Tata took a long time to realize that the Nano wasn't an upgrade for the 2-wheeler customers. It was better suited to be the beater car for existing car owners. That's exactly how I'm using it.
MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 13:57   #38
BHPian

It has to be the endeavour as already mentioned by many. It is such a lovely package however the guys at Ford management somehow manage to screw it every time. Won't agree on the Fortuner though as apart from the ride it has a few more downsides, lack of premium feel and boring interiors and quite a few missing features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
My Porsche macan 2020 though its a 2.0 model with sports chrono package, I don't miss power at all, as for daily driving in city or highway, it has enough power
Perfect size which makes it easy to take anywhere
Brand value
Mileage is also good around 7 kmpl
I think its perfect inside outside
its my daily driver
Your point being?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
If you are not talking about only current cars, Some cars in my list which were near perfect for that time

3. Ford Ecosport - Probably the most rounded car ever. So much so that it’s still holding on to being top of its class. When launched, it had a brilliant price, great safety, good feature list, top class ride, handling and build and good engines. Still yet to find an all rounder in its class I would recommend over the Ecosport. The only negative you could level was it’s limited legroom but the seat comfort and fantastic thigh support made up for a small family with kids and chauffeur driven on other days alike.
Fantastic thigh support? As an owner I completely disagree. The EcoSport has a very average ride with just about enough thigh support at the rear, at the front it is mediocre even for short folks. The seats though are comfortable but again the aggressive bolstering isn't for everyone.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:02   #39
BHPian

Of the cars I have owned, driven or sat in, I would pick the below :

1. Ford Ecosport - I had one for 6 years, and it just felt perfect from every aspect. I had no issues whatsoever in the six years of driving it. The built, the drive, its road presence, everything was spot on. The only thing which would annoy me sometimes driving in the city traffic would be the little heavy clutch and lot of downshifting in the Ecoboost model. Last couple of years I did miss a touchscreen display and android auto.

2. Ignis (Petrol,Manual) - Minus the quality of interiors, this car is perfect on all aspects for being city driven. One could say that about almost every Maruti car on the road. They are easy and fun to drive, and rarely there are any issues.

3. Skoda Octavia - I have driven the last gen on quite a few occasions and it feels very solid. I always felt like owning one, but the price and the general negative stories around after sales always deflates me.
ZB86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:22   #40
BHPian

The biggest 'if only' in the history has to the the Tata Hexa. If only it had the other 'T' badge it would have set the segment chart on fire and would have become an unbelievably popular people mover.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

VW Vento DSG or for that matter any VAG car with the DQ200.

Since I am owning & driving the Vento for almost 6 yrs now, I can vouch for its near-perfect manners in the city & highway

If only..VW offered a 8 year or best, 9-10 year warranty on the DSG, life would have been sorted and the car would have been a perfect buy!
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 15:16   #42
BHPian

Hyundai Tucson is a potential entrant to this list. Though i had not driven one personally, i have not heard any negatives about this car yet. If Hyundai had localised this product and sell it 6L less than its current asking price, i believe it would have been an everything right product(ignoring the looks which is a like it or hate it).
Old 19th July 2021, 16:24   #43
BHPian

Having recently tested a lot of cars, here are my thoughts.

I am skipping cars with fundamental issues and listing only those that I think can be refreshed with minimal effort...

Jazz - almost perfect car, if not for the ridiculous and spartan rear seat. For its current price they should provide rear armrest, rear A/C vent and adjustable headrests. Extra features like connected car tech, more airbags and the City's 1.5 L engine can be provided at extra cost.

Ecosport - refresh the exterior. Agreed... it looks timeless and relevant even now, but one cannot escape the feeling that the company has marked it for EOL and has put it in the market just to milk easy money.

Nexon, XUV300 - brilliant overall packages, but the AMTs should be replaced with proper ATs. Harrier and XUV500 have proper ATs. I agree that their AMTs are pretty smooth, but a 13 lakh car with AMT is somehow not right.

XL6 - another almost perfect car. For a 1-1.5 lakhs more, if they can offer 6 airbags and a sunroof, it may even attract Innova buyers! I am okay with the 4 speed AT. For the next gen, they should consider a 6 speed AT and a better hybrid system, and they can charge another 1 lakh more.
Old 19th July 2021, 16:26   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaushik View Post
For me the EcoSport has got everything right except for the badge, had it been Maruti EcoSport or Toyota EcoSport, it would have been a different story altogether.
Everything else, perfect.
I also felt that way when I bought my BS6 EcoSport AT in January this year. And then I met someone who owns a 2018 AT model, and then he spilled the beans. Ford removed so many useful features from the 2018 AT model (possibly to keep prices stable) that now I keep thinking of buying a pre-owned 2018 AT model
gotiyaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead115 View Post
I can't help but wonder about a few cars, that got everything right, well almost, so much so that it literally hurts how perfect they would be if they had these, almost no-brainer elements. Maybe this shows the broader market perspective and manufacturers' priorities.
For me this car has to be Honda Civic 10th generation. The car looked stunning and India already had so many die heart civic fans but poor gearbox pick by Honda messed it up.
They provided petrol + automatic and diesel + manual if only they had provided petrol + manual and diesel + automatic the car would have been still among us .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks