Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2021, 19:02   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cars that got almost everything right - if only

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedant.singhvi View Post
I think Kushaq sits pretty close to 'almost perfect'.
Good legroom and overall space, great ride and handling, good engines, great build quality and safety (excluding the lack of 6 airbags on the top model), more than enough features, looks good too

The only thing it is lacking is a slightly more competitive pricing, and MAYBE better after sales service?
I would also mention the rear passenger room. It's well suited for max 2 adults. Wouldn't that be an ask too? I thought it could be a wider car for the segment and the pricing.
Old 20th July 2021, 19:24   #77
Senior - BHPian

I feel there is a serious lack of options in the 20-30Lakh range as far as SUV/crossovers are concerned. Couple of cars which are pretty close to being perfect only if ..

Jeep Compass - great build, good feature set, nice interior quality, safety, handling but no good AT (Diesel engine is good but AT is poor, Petrol both engine and AT are bad)

VW Tiguan - I think this is probably the best of the available options but no ventilated seats
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 20:00   #78
BHPian

Tata Safari : If it had the older safari's 4WD capabillity

Ford Endeavour : Same old 3.2 5 cylinder with lesser weight

Jeep Compass : If it had more space
HEMIOrange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:37   #79
BHPian

Honda HRV!

They have the lovely IDTECH engine, have nice cvt gear boxes lying in stock but they launched a good looking csuv with no option of an AT gearbox inspite of having it in their other cars with the same engine!

I dont get what goes through the minds of the guys at Honda, this car could very well challenge the sonets, venue, Brezza etc.
Old 20th July 2021, 23:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

For me it could be Verna Diesel, only if it had better rear sitting space.
Old 21st July 2021, 03:38   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
For me it is Honda Jazz!

Current version when they launched in 2015 - It had magic seats in top VX variant but they did not offer CVT in VX. V CVT had normal seats.

I was eagerly waiting for their face lift in 2018 for VX+CVT option, they offered the same variant, but removed magic seat from all variants

For me Jazz with bigger engine + CVT + magic seat is a perfect city (+occasional highway) car and they have this option in all other markets.
The Jazz with the full complement of CVT+1.5L engine + magic seats was priced almost the same as Honda City in Thailand, Malaysia etc. It was very popular in those countries. I guess the Jazz was not seen having the same value as the Honda City in India. Honda eschewed the idea of the Jazz as it existed in other countries as a no go for India. As it is their cars were at a premium in India over other brands.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 04:47   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
The Ford Ecosport and the Tata Nexon.
Both good looking compact SUV's. Robust build and spiffy handling too.
IF ONLY:
They were offered with an AWD option! (Note: the Brazilian EcoSport has an AWD variant which we don't get in Bharat

The Tata Altroz. A brilliant riding and handling hatch marred by an asthmatic gasoline engine.
IF ONLY:
Honda had lent TML their 1.5L VTEC to fit in the Altroz
What a brilliant idea about lending 1.5L ivtec.
I'm sure that this engine can convert so many Tata cars to perfect ones.
Win win for both Tata & Honda.
I am confident that this engine has potential to become national engine of India similar to Quadrajet few years back.
Old 21st July 2021, 05:22   #83
Team-BHP Support

Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor.

For a 4WD SUV it had everything you need. Limited Slip differential, powerful engine, great Air conditioning, features unheard of even in luxury vehicles like one touch down windows.

The list goes on. This was like a cheap landcruiser without the ATRAC.

Only problem? Reliability. Sure it was heavy, handled like a boat, and was humongous, but then it is a ladder on frame vehicle, and for what it was, it was close to perfect. Only if the stuff worked, that is.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 09:43   #84
BHPian

1. Kicks Turbo CVT in is top end trim- for some inexplicable reason the top trim is manual only. Best driving compact SUV this side of the Compass imo.

2. Duster with better interiors.

3. A Punto Abarth with a better gearbox.

4. An EcoSport with a more powerful engine.
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:47   #85
BHPian

For me it would be two cars:

1) Volkswagen Polo : it never gave me any issues till date, fun to drive and awesome build quality. The only issue : space. In fact many of my friends who wanted to buy this car didn't citing space issues with it. Space in the car was also an issue that ultimately got me to upgrade me to Honda city.

2) Kia seltos : absolutely loved the car for its look specially in black colour but couldn't get myself to buy the car due to sub par safety ratings. Well tbh I tried to but wife didn't let me. Oh how I wish this car had a better build quality.
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:23   #86
BHPian

Tata Nano, only if Tata had marketed well to project as smart urban mover. They kill it before launch by tagging it as cheapest car.
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:07   #87
BHPian

No wonder this thread has turned into 'your favourite car', considering how subjective cars are and how their utility is different for everyone. So I am going to add one of mine to the list
The Harrier/Safari twins - Two mechanically identical cars which appeal to a different se of buyers, they do appeal wonderfully. Even after the QC issues I believe they are one of the best choices in the 18-25 Lakh range. A good QC team will turn them into perfect cars as they do not have any fundamental problems. C'mon Tata get your QC game right!
quantobigboot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:33   #88
BHPian

1. KIA Seltos - (Way)Better build quality
2. Honda City - Better ground clearance
3. Honda Jazz - 1.5L Engine + better seats and AC
4. Toyota Etios/Liva - Better plastics, better low-end torque
5. Volkswagen Polo - Better space
6. Mercedes-Benz (All Models) - Better price

I wish the people in charge of things at these companies read this thread and we will have several perfect cars in the market. If that happens, I'm asking for a comeback of Corolla Altis in an electric avatar next.
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:49   #89
BHPian

Some entries into the list as per my understanding of the market:

1. Kia Seltos: Only if it had 5 star crash safety result

2. Ford Ecosport and Freestyle: Only if they had diesel automatic options ( non AMT)

3. XUV300 and Tata Nexon: Only if they came with torque converter AT

4. Honda Civic: Only if it came with diesel AT option like CRV

5. Tata Harrier/Safari: Only if they came with AWD AT variants

6. Nexon EV: Only if it came with a 40 kwh battery to be able to cover intercity journeys

7. VAG cars in BS6: Only if they had retained the diesel engines in bs6 era.

8. Mahindra Thar: Only if it came with an acceptable ride quality setup.
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:34   #90
BHPian

1st gen Figo 1.4 TDCi

I absolutely love this car. Has great space, good gear ratios. And one of the tightest handling setups this side of BMWs. And the ride is quite pliant too. Not as great as the punto / linea or duster, but much better than the softly sprung mass market cars.

Now if only ford gave it the 1.6L petrol and the 1.5L diesel, it would've become the best drivers car in India. Sadly, ford reserved the bigger petrol to the fiesta. The 2nd gen Figo was no match to the first gen in terms of handling, steering feel and even build quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks