Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2021, 09:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I wish there was some flexibility built in for folks living abroad.

I was in the process of renewing my license and got stuck here (quoted section). There was a mention of having to present yourself at the RTO. I can't do this as I live abroad. I did ask the Indian Embassy for help. I thought they would have doctors on the panel who can help with Form-1A. Drivers license renewal is something they cannot assist with.
Perhaps you may request someone from your family to help with this in India itself. The RTO does accept documents sent by registered post as well.
Old 11th August 2021, 10:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Background:

Also note that there are several places where the warning states that online submission is not enough and you need to visit the RTO. However, ignore this since it seems to be the old message and not the new one.

Good luck and let us know your experience on this portal.
A few years ago we have to take the printout of this form and submit it to the RTO. Now we don't need to submit the forms physically and mere online submission is enough? Is this for the whole of Maharashtra?
Old 11th August 2021, 11:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Background:

Good luck and let us know your experience on this portal.
Though the backend system updated, process and policy updated, there are RTO officers who spoils the whole improved process.

I wanted to do the same - change the address to Bangalore from Kolkata. First of all my license was non-digital one in Barrackpore RTO. So this January when visited home, went to Barrackpore and explained the issue to a RTO officer that I do not have time to go with the timeline they gave - 2 months for converting old file based record to digital one and I need to go back to Bangalore in 15 days. The officer was really really helpful and made it happen and got my digital DL entry and the card type DL on the same day and no favors asked.

Now this rule of no NOC and certain things can be done online was declared in March, so applied through Sarathi site, uploaded the documents, made the payment - all done. However as per the process here in Bangalore, I need to show and get the originals verified to my local RTO (its not fully online here yet - The Silicon Valley of India). So went there, stood in queue, one lady verified the documents and directed to another queue which goes directly to head of RTO who supposed to sign and accept the printed application form and documents. He saw the application, directly asks "how can I believe that this is not a forged DL". It seems if no NOC (as he cannot ask that as per rules), I need to get Barrackpore RTO to email Electronic City RTO that my DL is a genuine one even though now all DL data available online in their site. No amount of argument hold before the RTO officer, but at last he agreed to instruct another guy of department to mail Barrackpore RTO to get it verified and they would call me to make another visit to RTO. As expected I did not get any call. And sort of I also did not enquire back, looks like application stays valid for unlimited number of years, so would handle it once I get some time.

Now let me tell you the story how it continues - on same day my friend also went for address change along with me. However, he has a NOC from his DL issuer RTO (out of State RTO like mine). First, as usual the BLR RTO officer asked for genuineness of his DL; but on saying he has NOC the RTO officer, instead of accepting the application, asked "where is your health/fitness certificate". Now he is 35 years old and this was specially not required for address change and below 40 years (if I am not wrong). So he had to get the medical certificate (which is available in near by health center for free) then they accepted the application, took a set of photo and signature. And got address changed in a month or two (new DL got delivered in speed post for which envelop and postal stamp had to be attached with the application. Note that DL number stays same as out of state number, only address changes).

So it is important that the mentality of the Officers also change along with all process and policy changes, to get a hassle-free (can also be read as harassment free) service from Govt departments.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 11th August 2021 at 11:57.
dipdawiz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 13:03   #19
BHPian

It is sad to see few states like AP & Telangana are yet to join the good initiatives taken up by the ministry.
Old 11th August 2021, 15:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread, MF.

My situation is identical to your wife's. License issued in MH02, card type with biometrics already captured, need address change to Pune (MH12). I followed all the steps you mentioned, only to be greeted by this:

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-rto-mh12-2.png

It jogged my memory that I had actually done this process including paying the fee online last year (just before lockdown started). I recall it asking me to go to the RTO in person at the time which I deferred and eventually forgot all about it.

The pop-up message gave me an application number, which I then proceeded to enter into the Check Application Status link on the top right of the home page. This came up:

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-rto-mh12-3.png

Puzzling, since it says I have already availed the address change facility. In any case I clicked on Proceed and it showed me a digital imprint of my current DL to confirm (it still had my old address listed). I clicked on Confirm:

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-rto-mh12.png

Since this was filed a year and a half ago, I assume I need to go to the MH12 RTO in person to get this sorted. Spoke to @libran1987 and he says it is a fairly simple process where they collect your old DL, verify the details of the address proof provided, stamp your application form at the back as a receipt (in case any cop asks to see your DL in the interim) and then mail your updated DL to the new address. Will put this to the test later this week and will update on this thread.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 16:05   #21

Great initiative. One thing that would streamline the process even more all is the pan India vehicle registration with uniform taxes.
Hopefully the newly proposed IN registration that is now applicable to defence personnel, Central and State government employees, and personnel of Central and State public sector units and private sector companies with offices in five or more States or Union Territories are extended to all who want to opt for it.
Old 11th August 2021, 19:33   #22
BHPian

I had a very pleasant experience with the Sarathi platform.

I changed the address/ RTO of my driving licence from Vizag (A.P), to Vasant Vihar Delhi using the website.

The entire process was completely online. Went through all steps as brought out by Moralfibre. Did not forward any copies to any of the 2 RTOs. No visits anywhere.

Got a new licence delivered at the new/ delhi residence in about 2 weeks time.
nvldvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 22:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It jogged my memory that I had actually done this process including paying the fee online last year...
I had a similar situation when I was trying to de-hypothecate my Fat Boy. In my case payment step failed for some reason and online application got locked. I could not proceed. The moment I wanted to edit/check the application it warned payment pending confirmation from bank, please wait... type message. This continued for a month or so. Finally, I wrote email to Vahan support (contact us, I think). They took about a couple of weeks to respond and cleared the application from backend. After that I didn't see "application pending for this vehicle" type message... it is a different matter, I chose to complete the process via agent finally. This happened about 1.5y ago just before Covid 1.0 national lockdown.

Not sure it will help your case but you can try your luck.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 22:31   #24
BHPian

Has anybody recently tried to renew the driving license for a 60+ yr old person? According to the recent notification by the ministry, there is no need to visit RTO for 18 services which includes renewal of driving license. My father's license got expired on 15th June, so I started online application on 5th June, but I couldn't complete the application in the meanwhile my father got retired from the service hence he got busy with all the official paperwork related to retirement, so in Aug. I submitted all the necessary documents, but the site asks me to book a slot which means my father would need to visit the RTO and there is no slot available in the entire August.

Last edited by 100Rabh : 11th August 2021 at 22:32.
100Rabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 22:37   #25
BHPian

I recently availed the "Change of address in DL" service in Sarathi (Kerala). It worked flawlessly and I got my new DL with changed address a week ago. Entire process was completed online, and the new DL was sent to my address using Speed Post.
Turbopetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 22:45   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Unfortunately not all states have uploaded all info into the system. My father who is in his seventies needs to renew his DL in Jayanagar RTO, Bangalore. However when we look up his DL number in the online system, it says to contact RTO office as his details aren't online
Even my wife's DL details are not in online system. The system prompted to visit RTO in person. This is for Ambala, Haryana. Strangely enough, my Ambala DL details are online and I can use online services.

Seems like they are in middle of transition.
rahi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 23:58   #27
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
My situation is identical to your wife's. License issued in MH02, card type with biometrics already captured, need address change to Pune (MH12). I followed all the steps you mentioned, only to be greeted by this:
My license was MH04 (it was book type when taken but subsequently got a chip card during 2 wheeler endorsement later). License was due for renewal in May 2021 & we had shifted base to Pune as well (MH14). I was fearing a long drawn process but was amazed by the simplicity & user friendliness of the online system. Applied for renewal, address change, change of RTO online & uploaded required address proof online with online payment as well. I could select an online appointment as well for submission of old licence & printout of online application acknowledgement. Fairly straightforward process at the RTO. Just submit the old licence. Online submitted documents are not to be resubmitted; it is there in the system. Just keep the online acknowledgement on top for reference only. Got progress updates on phone & the licence was delivered at the new address in 4-5 days with updated address as well on the card. Very efficient system indeed!
rkw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 06:19   #28
BHPian

I wanted to get DL extract from Sarathi and followed YouTube videos.
But, option of getting DL extract is removed and I ended up being in RTO.

The lady took my physical application and asked me to come after lunch time because online system is down.
I think it was a lie to delay the work.
The lunch time still had good 30 minutes and it would have taken less than 3 minutes to obtain the document.
Anyway, she did have the printout at 3PM and asked me to get it signed.
To my luck RTO officer was not in office.
I had to visit next day twice to get it signed.

The Place is Chandigarh RLA.

Bottom line: Even if services exist online, but the sweet taste of dealing with laid back government office exists too — at least in my city.

Last edited by procrastinator : 12th August 2021 at 06:25.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Not sure it will help your case but you can try your luck.

Cheers,
-BJ
Quote:
Since this was filed a year and a half ago, I assume I need to go to the MH12 RTO in person to get this sorted. Spoke to @libran1987 and he says it is a fairly simple process where they collect your old DL, verify the details of the address proof provided, stamp your application form at the back as a receipt (in case any cop asks to see your DL in the interim) and then mail your updated DL to the new address. Will put this to the test later this week and will update on this thread.
Visited the MH12 RTO today. Libran1987 had informed me that they open at 10 am so landed there shortly after, found the place empty (except for some people thronging the Learner's License section, which is separated from the License counter that I needed to visit). There were a handful of touts in the parking lot but they looked defeated when I told them I had made an application online (which is a good sign!)
Walked up the counter and was ably assisted by an official who patiently heard me out, asked me if I had uploaded the Aadhar card in the online application, told me to take a snapshot of the stamped application/receipt (in case I am ever stopped by cops). After I took the pic I told him I have Digilocker and he said that would work as well. Asked him how long for the updated DL to reach and he said not more than 20 days, which is not bad.
Since I was there, I asked how to change the address on my wife's DL which is from out of state and not in digitised form. He confidently told me to drop an email to that RTO and provide all the details of the license and request digitisation for the purpose of address change. Am going to now try this and will keep you all updated.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 14:37   #30
Vmv
BHPian

A very useful post, Thanks for sharing

I was just thinking about upgrading my DL address and here it is. Completed all steps, but the payment declined due to KL treasury server (may be). It's keep on showing access denied.

Later at night I tried and got completed this time. Must admit that digital evolution is helpful for lot of people. Passport update , aadhaar update, voters ID update , Now DL, I've completed all without anyone's help. Great

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks