Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2023, 22:04   #91
BHPian

Re: Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide

I had a strange experience with getting my address changed and adding a new category on an existing license.

I have a 2008 Pune (MH12) issued license. Since those were pre-Aadhar days, I used just my first name and last name by omitting the middle name. After today's experience, I learnt the lesson to stay with my full name.

I used online request to change address and adding middle name. The fun started when I landed in Mumbai West RTO. Apparently, I needed gazette (a paper AD) showing change in name. Since, I don't speak the local language, I found a decent agent and went to couple of officers inside the RTO to understand if a gazette is actually required, just to add a middle name. Surprisingly, all confirmed that there is no other way. After deciding that a gazette is inevitable, I tried modifying the existing application to remove the name change request and just go ahead with address change. The character length in the fields (first, middle and last names) don't have enough inputs allowed to get my name inserted - to match with Aadhar/passport names. After dilly-dallying for a while, its concluded that even a gazette couldn't solve the issue as the name pattern will be an issue. This could also potentially impact International driving permit for those countries, which actually need it.

Finally - the agent, an inside officer and myself agreed to go for a completely new license as it will kill 3 birds with one shot - name aligned as per Aadhar/passport, new address and new categories added. We started and the application went through seamlessly and I was out in 30mins flat with a LL in my hand. The wait now starts for me to convert this LL to permanent license, which I understood will be with me in ~45 days.

Now, I have 2 questions needing help from the forum here

1. In the above process, did I miss anything or was there any other way I could have avoided new application and accomplish everything on the existing license?
2. When I get the new license, what should I do with the existing license as I understood that possessing 2 licenses is not exactly legal.
Old 1st October 2023, 16:54   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
In 2021 my wife renewed her MH-issued smartcard DL in KA (since we live in Blore now). The process was initiated totally online. Outlining steps below:
@vharihar Good Afternoon!

I was going through your Thread where you mentioned that you got the Form 1-A (Medical Certificate) from a Government Doctor, located close to the RTO. Is this by any chance at the KA04 Bengaluru North Yeshwanthpur RTO? And what were the charges?

I am enquiring as I have to submit my Application for DL Renewal which is expiring in November 2023, and I found your step-by step instructions for DL Renewal very helpful.
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:45   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post

The character length in the fields (first, middle and last names) don't have enough inputs allowed to get my name inserted - to match with Aadhar/passport names. After dilly-dallying for a while, its concluded that even a gazette couldn't solve the issue as the name pattern will be an issue. This could also potentially impact International driving permit for those countries, which actually need it.

Finally - the agent, an inside officer and myself agreed to go for a completely new license as it will kill 3 birds with one shot - name aligned as per Aadhar/passport, new address and new categories added.
I'm assuming since this is MH, your name format is Firstname Father'sname Lastname. My MH02 DL lists my name as Firstname Lastname, son of Father'sname Lastname. My Aadhar, passport etc. has the name listed as Firstname Father'sname Lastname. It's never been a problem. I've had my DL renewed with an address change to Pune (MH12 RTO) and had a subsequent address change within Pune and this was never flagged as an issue.

The "solution" adopted here is quite frankly terrible since you yourself said, it's illegal to have two DLs in India. Am appalled the autorities even went along with it!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 17:40   #94
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The "solution" adopted here is quite frankly terrible since you yourself said, it's illegal to have two DLs in India. Am appalled the autorities even went along with it!
I have a friend who noticed only after 2 years of getting her license that her surname was misspelt. She is going through hell trying to rectify it. This seems to be a good solution.

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd October 2023 at 23:05.
Old 6th October 2023, 16:21   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I'm assuming since this is MH, your name format is Firstname Father'sname Lastname. My MH02 DL lists my name as Firstname Lastname, son of Father'sname Lastname. My Aadhar, passport etc. has the name listed as Firstname Father'sname Lastname. It's never been a problem. I've had my DL renewed with an address change to Pune (MH12 RTO) and had a subsequent address change within Pune and this was never flagged as an issue.

Yes, my current license is from Pune (MH12) and I am trying to get the address change + new category addition in Mumbai (MH03). I just missed adding my middle name in the license and this was in 2007 - pre Aadhar days. Never knew at that time that we will have the Aadhar dependency, and you will have to be consistent with your name everywhere.

Apparently, the system is not built to accommodate the character string in my name and so this jugaad approach had to be considered. Once I get my new DL, will get the current one cancelled to be on the right side of the law.
Old 6th October 2023, 19:56   #96
Senior - BHPian

My license is from Delhi. I want to change address from Delhi to Gurgaon, Haryana.

Which state should I select at homepage of parivahan website Delhi or Haryana?
Old 4th December 2023, 12:31   #97
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
Yes, my current license is from Pune (MH12) and I am trying to get the address change + new category addition in Mumbai (MH03). I just missed adding my middle name in the license and this was in 2007 - pre Aadhar days. Never knew at that time that we will have the Aadhar dependency, and you will have to be consistent with your name everywhere.

Apparently, the system is not built to accommodate the character string in my name and so this jugaad approach had to be considered. Once I get my new DL, will get the current one cancelled to be on the right side of the law.
Can you please share the process if you got your license cancelled. What is the process required to cancel the license or any challenges you faced after getting new license.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks