Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 15:33   #406
Team-BHP Support

re: Ford stops manufacturing cars in India

WION has a news video on the Ford India Exit. The irony is the news is sponsored by Skoda.

Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 17:34   #407
BHPian

Sad, but entirely predictable is what I think about this.

My first car was a Ford Figo. Loved it. Here is a picture of someone else posing in front of my car, while I took their picure

I hope VW isn't next. It just does not make any sense to build entirely new models for India (with the R&D involved) when people typically will flock to Maruti/Hyundai.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_20170212_134513.jpg  

pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 19:34   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

More woes for Ford, even as they exit:

Ford India owes Rs 602 cr as deferred sales tax liability.

Quote:
The Rs 13,520 crore revenue Ford India set up its first plant near Chennai with Tamil Nadu offering tax incentives like sales tax waiver/ deferral. Similarly, the Gujarat government too offered tax incentives to Ford India when it decided to set up a plant in Sanand
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th September 2021 at 19:36.
Old 17th September 2021, 21:50   #409
PGA
BHPian

Besides the local market/demand, it is the export potential and competitiveness, which directly impacts decision to enter or exit a country by an MNC. Quite a few companies came to India in late nineties and early 2000s with the aim to exploit new trade alliances and agreements which were promising WIP at those times. Coming with dated models or other such offerings by these companies is an inexpensive way of putting a foot in the door, which can be exploited if situation turn favourable in due course of time.

Ford was may be looking at FTA between EU and India, RCEP and SAFTA etc. EcoSport being on top amongst the largest exported out cars from India, was an indication.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...op-spot-2.html (Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2020) : Hyundai topples Ford to gain the top spot)

With the world becoming increasingly protectionist, and our country flattering to deceive on policy issues and dwindling market probably resulted in this decision by Ford.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 19:35   #410
BHPian

Everyone is in two minds whether to sell their car or not.
Either way what I see is resale value has hit which is expected if any company exits.

1) If we sell the car right now or maybe after a few months, then resale value will be good, at least when compared to selling after few years.
Because if we sell now, there will be many who will take advantage of the situation by quoting lower resale price. But we don't have to come to their pricing as we have a solid backup reasoning: Ford has just exited the market. Whosoever buys it, he/she won't regret as in the initial years, Support (service support + availability of spare parts + extended warranty support) is guaranteed to be good. No doubt about it. Also, that owner will enjoy all these benefits including our purchased extended warranty.

2) If we sell after a few years, then resale value would take a further hit. As it will be difficult to convince anyone on the Support aspect discussed above in point 1. Because we don't know how the Support will be few years down the line.

For people like me who are willing to keep their car as long as possible, I see it as: Fully utilizing the vehicle + Not getting hit financially + Guaranteed service support (initial years) - peace of mind (after few years depending on the situation).
So, when I think of these parameters, lower resale price few years down the line won't pinch me.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 18th September 2021 at 19:42. Reason: Added a new line.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 19:59   #411
BHPian

Extremely appalled and sad to see the exits of all big brands of the automotive industry from India. I guess Honda followed by VW and at a later stage Nissan will bite the dust.

As an Indian who loves to see our home grown brands going global, its vital to have a healthy competition in the home market to keep updated with the technology on offer, quality control and more models / options to end customers. But going with the trend presently, we will be back to square one read 1980s and 1990s where maruti, tata and toyota leaving us with no options selling far inferior product compared to international makes.
Old 20th September 2021, 13:28   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

A view of the Classifieds "Fords for sale" (21 nos. as on date) on teambhp that appear to be rising every day. Though some of these could be due to the natural attrition, quite many could be due to Ford downing its shutters in India. Eight of the 21 have been posted around the time or post-appearence of the Ford news.

Insecurity naturally sets in, once a company winds up.

The link:-

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/sea...store=1&page=1
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 16:15   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A view of the Classifieds "Fords for sale" (21 nos. as on date) on teambhp that appear to be rising every day
Yes! As I said earlier, opportunity for enthusiasts to grab great deals
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 17:15   #414
BHPian

If this trend continues then an average customer looking for a decent car will have limited options at his disposal (leave alone the luxury car buyers). A situation will arise where the market will be controlled by a few companies and customer will not be the king anymore...
SulemanP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 19:28   #415
Senior - BHPian

While there is plenty for Ford to introspect, I believe this is an opportunity for GOI also to re-look at the taxation on cars - the segment is very unfairly treated. Cheap cars enjoy lowest taxes and that too is exorbitant!
Honda might be next. Renault-Nissan could be after and so on. Its really sad to see Honda leave - they already cancelled half of their portfolio.

Last edited by Equus : 20th September 2021 at 19:30.
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 21:19   #416
Senior - BHPian

A good article covering multiple ramifications of Ford India's announcement:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...44549.ece/amp/
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 21:50   #417
BHPian

If corrections are not made and that too without being whimsical, I fear the auto industry may become the next telcom or aviation industry with just 2-3 player.
Toyota has made it clear they are not investing anymore, Jeep is a one horse race, Honda has only 1-2 half decent product, Nissa/Renault/Volkswagen/Skoda are with their last draw.
The Chinese are already circling ready to pick the leftovers.
docted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 21:59   #418
BHPian

Here's how the Americans reacted to Ford pulling the plug on the Ecosport. One can't help but laugh at some of the scathing insults .
https://www.facebook.com/jalopnik/po...59767057840168

Many call it underpowered, even though it comes with up to 166 hp there. Really puts things into perspective, no?

Many also find it hideous. One goes as far as to say "death to what might be the ugliest vehicle I’ve ever had the misfortune of laying my eyes upon." It isn't much of a looker in my eyes, but looks are subjective.

Most people didn't like/buy the Ecosport as it didn't offer much more than the Fiesta or Focus hatch but costed a fair bit more. I 100% agree with that sentiment because the hatchback the Ecosport is based on looks better, drives better, and ultimately offers better value.

This goes for any hatchback-crossover. Why would I buy a Hyundai Venue when the i20 offers the same features, as much space, and most importantly, the same engine tune? Why should I spend 1l extra for 25 mm extra ground clearance? Hatchbacks can survive Indian roads.
fakenews is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 02:46   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakenews View Post
Many also find it hideous. One goes as far as to say "death to what might be the ugliest vehicle I’ve ever had the misfortune of laying my eyes upon." It isn't much of a looker in my eyes, but looks are subjective.

Most people didn't like/buy the Ecosport as it didn't offer much more than the Fiesta or Focus hatch but costed a fair bit more. I 100% agree with that sentiment because the hatchback the Ecosport is based on looks better, drives better, and ultimately offers better value.
Well, the Cruze is considered a 'compact sedan' in the US, and the Camry is a mid size sedan, so they wouldn't understand the point behind a compact SUV. The Ecosport was a Ford Europe product which they tried selling to the americans out of desparation, after all.

On another note, there seems to be a good demand for Ecosports, with the prices even reaching what they were before the announcement. I was offered a similar price on Cars24 today as I was offered about 6 months ago. Mine's a 2016 Diesel.

It seems that BS4 diesels are holding their values well, considering the lack of DPF issues and the simplicity, as well as the remapping options. You can pick up a nice used diesel Figo, drop 20K on a remap, 25k on better tyres, and own a sleeper that would smoke most cars under 20 lac and still give 20+kpl and be reliable. Same goes for the Aspire as well.

I was initially considering selling my car, a decision I had been mulling over for months, but now, I'm also considering remapping it, and using it as I should've been for a couple more fun years.

Last edited by vivekgk : 21st September 2021 at 02:50.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 15:57   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Meeting with Ford Motor official was a failure : The workers union

Quote:
We had a meeting with an official who is part of Ford Motor Company's IMG (International Markets Group) on Monday. We were told the decision to close down the Indian plants is final and there will be no change in that

The workers at Ford India want the prospective buyer of the car plants to hire them.

Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks