Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 01:58   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford stops manufacturing cars in India

Please don’t bash me if I say - 65L for a 2L bi-turbo Endeavour? Won’t this motivate Toyota to further push their Fortuners’ price tag which is already closing in on 50L bracket? Anyways, that’s a discussion to dig further for another day.

Besides, there’s fair number of good samples of endeavour on pre-owned market listings as I checked last week. Why would they bring the same avatar with a different engine as a CBU when Indians are now spoilt with choices. At 65L price tag I’m sure people will start looking at big 3’s from Germany. Anyways, if they bring in the Ford F-150 Raptor, it’ll be something I can’t explain in words - I’m a sucker for it’s looks
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 03:12   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Spoke to a SA from the Delhi Ford dealership at New Delhi last evening. Some highlights of the discussion as per the SA and his sources -
  • Ford will launch 8 new CBU products starting mid-2022
  • Ford will limit dealerships in major cities. Smaller cities might not have a Ford dealership at all
  • Ford is trying to target the customer base from higher segments and therefore these state-of-art new Ford dealerships will also be set up at prime locations or in the vicinity of the bigger German brands for maximum visibility
  • The Endeavour is going to return as Everest (or as Endeavour) with the 2.0 Biturbo engine and is expected to be priced at 65 Lakhs
  • Delhi Ford will continue to be a prime Ford dealer in NCR region
The Delhi Ford dealership at Safdarjung Enclave has two white Endeavours presently in their inventory and there are no discounts at the moment as the demand is very strong. OTR prices for the Endeavour is 41.5 Lakhs with Gurgaon registration and 42.5 Lakhs with New Delhi registration, didn't seem like they are in the mood to negotiate any further on the price.
Take that with a pinch (err may be a 1 K.G) of salt.

At 65L for a Ford Endeavour, do potential customers have to show proof of being a M.L.A, M.P or Local Councillor or may an expat passport or something? What a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
65 Lakhs for essentially the same car which used to be sold in India minus a turbo. If launched, this will be an even worse moment than when Mitsubishi launched the Montero at 50 lakhs. Even for a CBU and an extra Turbo, 65 Lakhs is too much.
+1. Even if it is the all new Ranger and a CBU that'll be a ridiculous asking price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
This floated news seems like a strategy from Ford dealers to clear their inventory with very minimal discounts. With Diwali festival around, may be they are hoping to clear their stocks with this rumour.
Right. "Get it before its going to get pricier" has worked very well. Some people give up everything for that.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th October 2021 at 08:30. Reason: Edited: Endy to Endeavour
kiku007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 08:46   #498
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

65L? I'd rather get a 530d AND an X3 for that money (though used).
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 15:41   #499
BHPian

Is the Endeavor a good car - Yes

Is it worth 65 Lakhs - BIG No in my opinion

If they do launch it at this price, i don't forsee the dealers selling more than 50 (optimisitcally) units a year
BharathXUV700 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 21:54   #500
BHPian

If Ford thinks they enjoy a brand cache to sell a 65 lakh endeavor here in India, why did they ever leave? Something I can't wrap my head around.
Stolidus500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 00:15   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
65L? I'd rather get a 530d AND an X3 for that money (though used).
Lol more like a 5, x3 and lc 150 prado all used though.

65l is a lot of change. There are better vehicles for that price.

Cheers
Thegermanbadger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 09:53   #502
BHPian

A deluge of used Ecosports on Olx.

I have been contemplating a replacement for my 2007 Fiat Palio Stile for some months now. Sedans have never been a choice for me or my partner. Also, my mother who is the head of our household has this philosophy of treating a car as an 'all-round family use vehicle'. For her, this means that the vehicle should be able to carry a 'decent' amount of luggage along with comfortable space for around 5 people. And in our family, a decent amount of luggage would mean 4/5 jackfruits, a bag full of coconuts, a couple of banana bunches and so on according to situation. My present vehicle cannot fully satisfy these needs.

Given the kind of needs, I had considered looking for a Tata Xenon. It was learned that to make the Xenon resemble a car in terms of riding comfort, I may need to replace the rear suspension with an Iron man suspension kit or something similar. The D-Max V-Cross is way out of my budget, though it remains a dream. Safari Storme was being considered as something that could tick all boxes (available below or around 6 lakhs, seating 5 people comfortably, carrying good amount of luggage, reliability and safety), but the availability is somewhat low on Olx, which is my platform of first choice.

And then, there was the announcement of Ford's exit, and now Olx in flooded with a deluge of Ecosports. I have always admired the Ecosport, and now it seems that an Ecosport is available within my budget limits. As for number of cars on sale on Olx, as of 30.10.2021, a total of around 280 Ecosports were listed from Kerala, compared to 2 Safari Stormes and 1 Xenon double cabin. This is too tempting for me and despite the differences between a Storme and an Ecosport in terms of luggage space, I am actively considering an Ecosport as my next vehicle. Maybe I can convince myself and my mother about the utility of Ecosport, apart from its comfort and reliability.
chinchu.c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 12:20   #503
BHPian

I had a great experience in Cauvery Ford , Binnypet , Bangalore ... sorry to see that there are no cars to be sold and the whole sales area was deserted. Service was quick , efficient and prompt and the prices reasonable. Feel sad for Ford employees and staff at these service stations as they will get affected by Ford’s exit.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:48   #504

Hi folks,
I have following TBHP discussions for years and glad to note some outstanding advise and experiences on a sea of topics. Though this is my first post on the forum

Here is my two cents on the topic. After Ford announced to quit in September, I was in a complete dilemma as I was planning to change from my 2013 Fortuner to a new SUV. However, after much deliberation, I decided to buy the Ford Endeavour, well knowing some of the repercussions of the Ford exit from India.

In the said process, I also visited the Delhi Ford showroom at Safdarjung Enclave, Delhi in the first week of October, 2021. However, I after much negotiation, I found a better deal at Harpreet Ford. I tool Delivery of my car (4x4 Titanium+) on the 13th October.

My experience was as follows:

Delhi Ford sales representative told me the exact same story of the new Endeavour CBU to cost 65 lakhs and will be launched in 2022. However, I felt that this theory was not based on any concrete basis as yet there is no final word from Ford India whether a Bi-Turbo or Next Gen Endeavour will at all be launched in India via the CBU route. I felt (I maybe wrong) that this theory was being sold to customers to clear the existing stock. Among the various Ford Dealers I contacted, I found that Delhi Ford dealership was the most circumspect to offer discounts as the management was confident to clear the Endeavour stock sooner or later. What I was also told by the Sales Representative in mid October was that they had even picked card from other Dealerships in NCR and sold them to their client network.

About the car: Well, I have only done about 500 kms till now, though I can say it is smooth as butter and the suspension is extremely good. Also, even after removing the ANC, the cabin is very quiet. The overall built and drive of the car is outstanding. Before this, I drove a Fortuner automatic (3.0, 4x2) for nearly eight years, no doubt that Fortuner was a rugged beast and never gave me any issues, whatsoever. The Endeavour is much more refined and full of features.

At present, my car is at the OCD Detail Studio, Gurgaon whereat Mr. Saurabh an ex-IAF, who ventured to car detailing, is carrying out Ceramic Coating on my car. Here sharing some pictures.

To sum it up, the buying experience from the dealership was not great as the staff is quiet disinterested since Ford announced exit, but the vehicle (Endeavour) is the best in class.

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_7475.jpg

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_7474.jpg

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_7473.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Spoke to a SA from the Delhi Ford dealership at New Delhi last evening. Some highlights of the discussion as per the SA and his sources -
  • Ford will launch 8 new CBU products starting mid-2022
  • Ford will limit dealerships in major cities. Smaller cities might not have a Ford dealership at all
  • Ford is trying to target the customer base from higher segments and therefore these state-of-art new Ford dealerships will also be set up at prime locations or in the vicinity of the bigger German brands for maximum visibility
  • The Endeavour is going to return as Everest (or as Endeavour) with the 2.0 Biturbo engine and is expected to be priced at 65 Lakhs
  • Delhi Ford will continue to be a prime Ford dealer in NCR region

The Delhi Ford dealership at Safdarjung Enclave has two white Endeavours presently in their inventory and there are no discounts at the moment as the demand is very strong. OTR prices for the Endeavour is 41.5 Lakhs with Gurgaon registration and 42.5 Lakhs with New Delhi registration, didn't seem like they are in the mood to negotiate any further on the price.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st November 2021 at 05:21. Reason: Typos
TorqueOnDemand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 23:14   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Toyota says thank you for setting the price target for Fortuner by then

I met quite a few Harpreet Ford technicians in my last visit to Uttam Toyota- good that Ford dealership employees are getting quickly picked up
Yes, suddendly here in Chandigarh I have seen certain repair shops for Cars now advertising that they are also dealing in Ford because there is not much clarity on the After sales support yet. And Ford does enjoy a good reputation in Chandigarh and Punjab, especially Ford Endeavour.
Old 8th December 2021, 19:23   #506
BHPian

After Ford's India (and Brazil's) exit, it decides to invest $900 million in Thailand.

Source.

I do understand lot of enthusiasts feel that it is entirely (or mostly) of Ford's doing that they failed in India and exited. And that it should not bother us since it is their loss.

My point is, Indian car market has largely been stagnant (volume wise), for the last decade or so. With no growth (especially with low car penetration in the population), Ford perhaps thought it was not in its best interest to put in its resources in India.

What is even more disturbing is, Ford is putting its money in Thailand. To increase capacity, for local and export sales. If a company is investing elsewhere to increase capacity to ensure exports, why could it not just use its existing plants in India to manufacture and export. I quote from the article below:

Quote:
"About 60% is exported Asia-Pacific markets like Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines where its pickup trucks are popular."
Is it because India does not have appropriate agreements with other countries to enable its soil to be used for export purposes? Of course, it is a give and take agreement with other countries to come at such arrangements. But are we so disadvantageous for manufacturers that they chose to close existing plants in India and invest afresh elsewhere? Even to risk losing a large population market. Even to risk potentially long drawn law suits?

With economic growth not being robust (even pre-covid), this is not a good trend for Indian auto market, and in general for entire manufacturing as a sector in India. Very disappointed to see this news. Yet again India loses out due to incorrect or lack lusture policies made by politicians (and bureaucrats) who promise the moon.

I end with this post with a quote from the article. Number might be small, but the indirect job creation would be huge.

Quote:
"It will also add a second shift to the Ford plant which will result in as many as 1,250 new jobs, bringing its workforce in Thailand to more than 9,000."

Last edited by OrangeCar : 8th December 2021 at 19:36.
OrangeCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 19:51   #507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post

What is even more disturbing is, Ford is putting its money in Thailand. To increase capacity, for local and export sales. If a company is investing elsewhere to increase capacity to ensure exports, why could it not just use its existing plants in India to manufacture and export. I quote from the article below:
Thailand is one of the largest pickup truck markets. All trucks manufactured here are sent to Europe and Australia. Plenty of volume and profit for this investment. India is no golden goose unless you can produce sell and sustain volume to justify economies of scale.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 14:42   #508
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Thailand is one of the largest pickup truck markets. All trucks manufactured here are sent to Europe and Australia. Plenty of volume and profit for this investment. India is no golden goose unless you can produce sell and sustain volume to justify economies of scale.
Also, Thailand is a part of the RCEP which is Free Trade Agreement between 15 APAC countries. Eventually, everyone who wants to export will look for countries with such agreements.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 19:47   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
After Ford's India (and Brazil's) exit, it decides to invest $900 million in Thailand.

Source.

I do understand lot of enthusiasts feel that it is entirely (or mostly) of Ford's doing that they failed in India and exited. And that it should not bother us since it is their loss.

My point is, Indian car market has largely been stagnant (volume wise), for the last decade or so. With no growth (especially with low car penetration in the population), Ford perhaps thought it was not in its best interest to put in its resources in Indiage.
Enthusiasm doesn't have much to do with it. Instead of bashing and lecturing an investor about how to do business, our Netas and Babu's should introspect to realise what they could do better to attract and retain investors. Also, take a good long hard look at the economy and allied processes like taxation and not just focus on filling their coffers
hothatchaway is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 09:47   #510

An interesting reason of why Ford restructured India operations.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th January 2022 at 19:58. Reason: removed duplicate URL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks