Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:25   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford stops manufacturing cars in India

Ford infuses over Rs 5,000 crore in Indian unit to manage exit costs.

Quote:
The funds have been infused in two tranches — Rs 2,175 crore in September and Rs 2,900 crore this month, totalling Rs 5,075 crore,

The reason behind the fund infusion in the Indian subsidiary is not known, but it is likely to be used for settling outstanding payments with dealers and vendors, and providing separation packages to employees.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 23rd October 2021 at 12:26.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 15:42   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
You may have heard rumours about Ford planning to wrap up its India operations. Well, according to a recent report, the carmaker has decided to stop manufacturing vehicles at both the Sanand and Chennai factories.

Attachment 2204780

Ford recently held a town hall for its employees to announce its plan to ramp down production of popular models. The decision comes as the company is said to have accumulated close to US$ 2 billion in losses over the last 10 years.

The carmaker will continue to serve existing customers with service, aftermarket parts and warranty coverage. Sales of current products such as Figo, Aspire, Freestyle, EcoSport and Endeavour will cease once existing dealer inventories are sold.

According to the company, the Sanand plant will shut down by Q4 2021, while the Chennai plant, will continue to operate until Q2 2022. While vehicle production will be stopped, the engine plant at Sanand will continue its operations. The Ford Business Centre and the product development centre will also continue to operate as well.

Link to Team-BHP News
Hello...I would need the views of respected BHPians please. Whether it will be a good idea now to buy a Ford Aspire Titanium Plus Diesel model at a price of 7 Lacs. The manufacturing year is Jan 2020 and the registration year is 2021. Kilometres travelled is 18000 kilometres. Many thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 00:10   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Inside story on what went wrong in the Ford, Mahindra partnership.

Attachment 2222306
M&M had all the rights to worry about the Ford's version of the XUV, Ford would have easily stole the thunder from the 7OO with their design language.

Wish their JV was as smooth as Maruti & Toyota, looking at Mahindra's track record, it probably would never happen.
Attached Images

giri1.8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 10:32   #484
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Spoke to a SA from the Delhi Ford dealership at New Delhi last evening. Some highlights of the discussion as per the SA and his sources -
  • Ford will launch 8 new CBU products starting mid-2022
  • Ford will limit dealerships in major cities. Smaller cities might not have a Ford dealership at all
  • Ford is trying to target the customer base from higher segments and therefore these state-of-art new Ford dealerships will also be set up at prime locations or in the vicinity of the bigger German brands for maximum visibility
  • The Endeavour is going to return as Everest (or as Endeavour) with the 2.0 Biturbo engine and is expected to be priced at 65 Lakhs
  • Delhi Ford will continue to be a prime Ford dealer in NCR region

The Delhi Ford dealership at Safdarjung Enclave has two white Endeavours presently in their inventory and there are no discounts at the moment as the demand is very strong. OTR prices for the Endeavour is 41.5 Lakhs with Gurgaon registration and 42.5 Lakhs with New Delhi registration, didn't seem like they are in the mood to negotiate any further on the price.
//M is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 08:57   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Spoke to a SA from the Delhi Ford dealership at New Delhi last evening. Some highlights of the discussion as per the SA and his sources -
This is good news.
When Ford announced their decision on September 09, many Ford owners went into panic mode and sold their Ford cars. And many were questioning service and spare parts, which obviously is a matter of worry. However many owners decided to retain their Ford cars and not sell it. On the other hand cars like Endeavour were selling like hot cake with marginal discounts. This goes to show the quality of Ford cars. Even the Ecosport sold out. Today, there are many used Ford cars in the market with a good price range.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 09:49   #486
BHPian

This is definitely music to ears and a relief for the Ford customer base. But his words needs some official authenticity , as the dealers are using such tactics to create up a situation & clear up there inventory without loosing out money in form of massive discounts.
Hope he is proven right , but looking at the the current taxation regime , I am afraid if anyone's gonna get hold of Endeavour @ approx 75 OTR

Last edited by ankushbansal : 29th October 2021 at 10:03.
ankushbansal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 09:50   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hope they walk the talk. Had my fair share of Ford SAs telling they are sure the Kuga will come next year or the next gen Ecosport coming the next year.

If at all Ford follows the CBU strategy and makes it a success, it will be a case study for other companies (ahem..ahem... Mazda) and also a slap in the face of Chevy who abandoned ship just like that. That too at a time when full size American SUVs/ trucks are getting back their diesel options.

Quote:
[*]The Endeavour is going to return as Everest (or as Endeavour) with the 2.0 Biturbo engine and is expected to be priced at 65 Lakhs
Hopefully the next gen Endeavour. Don't think they are allowed to use the Everest name here. With the Fortuner crossing 50 lakhs and the next gen Fortuner definitely crossing 60 lakhs, why not? And since it is a CBU, go the whole hog and bring the V6 diesel. It will do good numbers, just like how the Mustang did for the sportscar segment.
DicKy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 13:05   #488
BHPian

Quote:
  • Ford will launch 8 new CBU products starting mid-2022
  • Ford will limit dealerships in major cities. Smaller cities might not have a Ford dealership at all
  • Ford is trying to target the customer base from higher segments and therefore these state-of-art new Ford dealerships will also be set up at prime locations or in the vicinity of the bigger German brands for maximum visibility
  • The Endeavour is going to return as Everest (or as Endeavour) with the 2.0 Biturbo engine and is expected to be priced at 65 Lakhs
  • Delhi Ford will continue to be a prime Ford dealer in NCR region

With the recent instances, we can't even trust what top OEM executives say. Forget what a dealership SA would say.
fazayal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 18:41   #489
BHPian

I will believe it when i see it. But if they do launch it my 2019, 3.2 liter 4x4 should see a significant appreciation in value.

I don't know if there will be many takers for an Endy north of 60 lacs! But one never knows.

In the meantime I am continuing to enjoy the smooth and refined Endeavour which according to me is a rare model.

A 2019, Facelifted, 3.2 liter Engine, Titanium 4X4.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_20190925_095046_245.jpg  

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_20190913_195726_704.jpg  

Manuuj is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 19:05   #490
BHPian

Quote:
[*]The Endeavour is going to return as Everest (or as Endeavour) with the 2.0 Biturbo engine and is expected to be priced at 65 Lakhs[*]Delhi Ford will continue to be a prime Ford dealer in NCR region[/list]
Toyota says thank you for setting the price target for Fortuner by then

I met quite a few Harpreet Ford technicians in my last visit to Uttam Toyota- good that Ford dealership employees are getting quickly picked up
achyutaghosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 19:19   #491
Senior - BHPian

If this news is indeed true, I might consider proceeding with my original plan of holding car for another 4-5 years and eventually swapping with an EV by 2025. But most have already lost trust with brand Ford in India and if folks didn't show interest in buying locally manufactured/assembled Ford, I doubt if someone would have the guts to buy an almost same product at CBU price. Ford clearly doesnot have the brand recognition of say BMW or Mercedes and will be tough to compete unless they get some American muscle(F150/Explorer/Mustang EV etc.).

After how successfully Ford managed to misguide folks, my gut feel says this communication is to help dealers clear off their inventories. Happy to be proved wrong .
PrideRed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 19:22   #492
BHPian

65 Lakhs for essentially the same car which used to be sold in India minus a turbo. If launched, this will be an even worse moment than when Mitsubishi launched the Montero at 50 lakhs. Even for a CBU and an extra Turbo, 65 Lakhs is too much. That is Benz and Beemer Territory. The only reason the Fortuner and the Endeavor sold at 40 Lakhs was due to them being bigger than the smaller German offerings. And now Ford comes up with a price tag that makes the Fortuner value for money.

The least they could do is bring in the bigger cars and trucks they have. The Expedition, if launched can easily be to higher segments, what the Fortuner is to the entry-level luxury segment, with both being Brute SUV'S which are bigger than any other cars the price could offer. The Expedition and the F series trucks can easily be 60 Lakh vehicles, but not the Endeavor, despite the Turbo
TorqueMonster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 20:07   #493
BHPian

This floated news seems like a strategy from Ford dealers to clear their inventory with very minimal discounts. With Diwali festival around, may be they are hoping to clear their stocks with this rumour. I will be happy to see Ford cars coming back to India as CBU but I don't see much takers for their models if priced more than 50 Lakhs. Ford as a Brand surely doesn't have aspirational value like the 3 big Germans.

Last edited by RAHS : 29th October 2021 at 20:09.
RAHS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 20:58   #494
BHPian

Now I do not understand this, Ford Endeavour was selling in good numbers and it was the second to Toyota Fortuner in podium finish. Why do they want to sell this as a CBU, wont the price go astronomically high, isn't it like shooting an arrow in your own foot.
If its a niche product like a Pick-up Truck/UTE or like a Sports Car, then this makes sense but this is not a wise move. The other aspect could be, rather than having the car for masses, they want it to be sold to the masses anymore. Higher profits but lesser cars sold as that also translates to lesser dealerships, lesser repair-shops or after sales centers.

Kind of making it a "Limited" Product, I get that. But if this was the case, then they should not have burned their hands with the Hatchback or Sedan segment. They should have focused on just one segment and became a champion. Look at Toyota - Innova and Fortuner are its building blocks, Hyundai has Verna/Creta and i20. Maruti has Swift/Dzire/Alto/Wagon-R. Honda had City.

Though this new might be a rumor or might be true, I am really keen to see the inventory they are planning to come-up with because with higher price range they might be fighting with Volvo/BMW/Audi and Mercedes which will be a very tough challenge.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 22:16   #495
Senior - BHPian

If they want 65L, they better give us V6 Diesel at least!
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks