Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2021, 18:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi-NCR BHPians: How much lower did you sell your 10 / 15 year old car for?

Quite intriguing to read the ordeals, the 10/15 year old private car owners have to face these days. In Delhi, there many dubious ways to deal with in numerous transactions and it tops with its ingenuity in such matters.

The apt quip needs to read:-

"The dubious ways in which Delhi deals with numerous transactions today is followed by India tomorrow."

But it is a matter of surprise that as far as scrapping and RC cancellation for 10/15 year old private cars is concerned, the rule book is being rigidly followed.

Our policy makers are cranky people no doubt. Japan starts taxing its cars at higher rates from the 5th year onwards to check pollution and keep the old car population in check. As it becomes unaffordable to the owner, the Japanese government has an approved mechanism in place to export these five year olds to select countries including New Zealand and many other African countries where such imports from Japan are allowed. That's a neat way to get rid of old cars rather than scrapping fit and able cars just because these have done 10 or 15 years.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 19:13   #17
BHPian

Re: Delhi-NCR BHPians: How much lower did you sell your 10 / 15 year old car for?

Friend’s Skoda Laura TDI top end trim 2011 model went for 2 L last year in december when it had just turned 9 years old. He had bought it for 18 L in 2011, sad sad resale in my opinion. Odo reading 1.5 L km.

Next up is my cousin’s 2012 Renault Duster Diesel which is about to turn 9 this december and he is on the lookout for a replacement. Lets see how much this one fetches. Odo reading 1.1 L km.

Last edited by speedfreak01 : 14th September 2021 at 19:19.
speedfreak01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:13   #18
BHPian

I know a man whose sole profession is to sell 15/20yr old cars to clientele from North East. I know he regularly sells late 90s early 00s era Sumos and Mahindra Marshalls/Commanders/Boleros from WB, Jharkhand or Chattisgarh and has drivers on payroll to drive them to Nagaland, Mizoram, etc. Even with spending 15-20 odd ks of fuel on the drive, he has enough profit left and charges the clients 1-1.5l for a reasonably well-maintained Sumo.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
stallmaster is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:19   #19

Recently sold our 2005 Toyota Corolla (which was in mint condition) to the dealership as part of an exchange bonus while replacing it with an Innova. Everything on the car was stock, ran perfectly, but still got just a measly 50k as scrap value, since the car would have to be sent to the junkyard as per rules.
Arreyosambha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:46   #20
BHPian

I sold my Honda city zx for about a lac after 13 years and my friend sold his innova in the 10th year for 1.3 lacs, all sold to a dealer.
TJ02 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 10:02   #21
BHPian

Delhi-NCR cars are trading at low prices in Delhi.
I recently saw a couple of Delhi registered Innovas/Pajero in Chennai at a used car dealer.
2014 Pajero with 80k ODO was quoting 5 Lakhs (Excluding paperwork/commissions) 😱
These dealers have contact with the RTO agents who take care of the paper works.
Check the Instagram link - https://www.instagram.com/delhicarz/ .These guys ship the Delhi cars throughout India and the prices they offer for Luxury cars are mouth-watering. P.S - (Just sharing the link for a better understanding of the Delhi used car market and I'm in no way related/promting them)
ash22 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 10:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

I bought one instead from NCR.
Picked up a Jan 2013 registered Single owner E90 320D Msport with 37K on odo for 10L including all transfers etc.
Slightly higher than someone might pay, but the car was pristine and came with loads of extras worth a few lakhs apart from M sport bits.
akshay4587 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 11:08   #23
BHPian

My 2010 built Chevrolet Beat LT, bought 2nd hand for 2.5L in 2012, with 23000KM on ODO (a showroom registered, test drive car!!), was sold for 80K in Dec 2020. Final ODO was around 1.1Lakh KM.

It was in poor condition, I had stopped spending too much money on mechanical issues (the whole Suspension setup was almost gone, starter motor was faulty, the car used to make all sorts of noises from underneath, but never broke down).
Old 17th September 2021, 11:52   #24
BHPian

This thread couldn't have come up at a more apt time for me. With Diesel 2013 Duster and 2014 Grand i10 in garage, I am undecided on how to part with perfectly running cars before 2023 and 2024.

As many in thread have pointed out, Rajasthan and UP seems to be most favored destination for used NCR cars. But how to get the right price for your vehicle without getting into hassle of finding buyer and paper work in these states ? Recommendation of reputed car dealers who can facilitate this will surely help NCR members of the forum.

I couldn't understand what will happen to non NCR registered cars exceeding age limit but in Delhi temporarily or crossing Delhi ? Will they be impounded or left with fine ?
Old 17th September 2021, 11:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
I couldn't understand what will happen to non NCR registered cars exceeding age limit but in Delhi temporarily or crossing Delhi ? Will they be impounded or left with fine ?
The law states you cannot even transit NCR in your old car
Talk about draconian laws. I have had friends who have been flagged down and made to pay hefty fines, around 5K.
akshay4587 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:13   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
This thread couldn't have come up at a more apt time for me. With Diesel 2013 Duster and 2014 Grand i10 in garage, I am undecided on how to part with perfectly running cars before 2023 and 2024.

As many in thread have pointed out, Rajasthan and UP seems to be most favored destination for used NCR cars. But how to get the right price for your vehicle without getting into hassle of finding buyer and paper work in these states ? Recommendation of reputed car dealers who can facilitate this will surely help NCR members of the forum.

You will not get a fair price from dealers. Everyone knows immediately when you bring a close to expiring car for sale in these states. They know about the ruling, and they know people are desperate. You should cut your losses, because you will get a pittance and heartbreak if the car has to be scrapped.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

In July I sold my 2014 Honda City diesel, Odo was - 135000. Car was in very good condition and if not for 10 year ban and my need for an automatic I wouldn't have sell it. Sold it through an acquaintance to a dealer in Noida for 3,70,000. KIA people offered 2,75,000 in exchange so I believe we sold it at a good price.

Dealer has already sold it further and it has been registered to the new owner too.

Last edited by harry10 : 17th September 2021 at 12:46.
Old 17th September 2021, 12:32   #28
BHPian

Recently, I have been seeing a heavy inflow of approx 10 YO Germans to Bangalore bearing DL registration. Most of the car showrooms on outer ring road have these cars on display with plates covered. I had two acquaintances of mine buy a 2012 Audi A6 2.0 TDI [75k Odo] for 10.5 Lakhs and a 2011 BMW 520d [40k Odo] for 11 Lakhs. They bought it from the same dealer. They are planning to run the car on DL plates for a year and then figure out the re-registration part. Bangalore cars (similar variants and odo readings) are being quoted around 14-18 Lakhs currently.

Came to know from a friend of this dealer couple of months back that his cut on out of state cars (MH/DL) were at least a lakh, per car. Talk about making a killing just on commissions
LOL_FWD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
As far as petrol cars are concerned, almost all of them get scrapped at the end of 15 years. This is what I have observed in my circles at least. This is the only hassle free option because you simply cannot get an NOC to transfer the car to somebody else or to another state.
True that. I have a Santro, 2004 model, which I gave to my brother. He was scheduled to go for an overseas long-term posting and made no sense to get a new car in the interim so he used it till 15th year and now it stands in my parking because I could not give it for scraping for so cheap.

As an aside, a few months back I called cars24 guys and they promptly sent someone to 'evaluate' the car. The guy checked for paint depth on all penals, tyre tread depth, started and even moved the car by a meter from its parking place, left the engine running idle for a while and all that. A couple hours later I got a call from his manager offering 18K and that they would need to deduct towing and handling from that amount as well. I protested that I will finally get may be 15K which is too less for a car which still drives well (Less than 1 Lakh KMs and stock clutch etc). The guy expressed helplessness saying it will have to be scrapped. I said fine but if it's just scrap to you, why do you need to do all the elaborate tests? And that my raddiwala will give me better price if I wanted to sell. Clearly these cars are not being cut up but are being used to extract spares and anything that is useful including tyres and batteries.

Last edited by pkk077 : 17th September 2021 at 12:42. Reason: typo
pkk077 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 13:00   #30
RBR
BHPian

I recently sold my 2007 make Alto LXi. Got it evaluated by Cars24 and Carstrade, and the best rates were determined by competing them against each other (and arriving at according to my expectation). I sold it to Cars24 for a little over Rs 70,000 and they took care of all the necessary paperwork such as RC transfer, NOC, and so on. To stay out of any trouble or hassels, I did not explored with local dealers or neighbours.
RBR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks