Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 19:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?

I too started with this car, it was one beautiful car with loads of positives and negatives.

it was rock solid, had one of the best ride's but on the down side used to have lots of electrical & mechanical issues.

had it for around 4 yrs but had to sell it off when its maintainence turned out to be that of an elephant.

will I buy it again - it's a big yes if it comes with better reliability.
SAMUDRA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 19:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
How do you buy a 'new' 2.2 Dicor engine? Does TATA sell it as such?
I didn't buy the engine. I calculated the cost breakup of making a 2.2 Dicor Sierra. I have not inquired if this engine is sold loose or not, however I know from a reliable source the cost of the whole engine along with Turbo, inter-cooler and all associated engine is billed at Rs 2.5 lac
Old 21st November 2012, 21:31   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow

I didn't buy the engine. I calculated the cost breakup of making a 2.2 Dicor Sierra. I have not inquired if this engine is sold loose or not, however I know from a reliable source the cost of the whole engine along with Turbo, inter-cooler and all associated engine is billed at Rs 2.5 lac
Oh OK. I thought you had actually sourced it and hence given the precise figure.
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:11   #49
BHPian

I am just a kid when this car was launched and i used to tell everybody in my class that huge glass is bullet-proof and that car is used to ferry around politicians and other VIP's.

Those are the days when i used to have opinion that status symbol of VIP cars is in this order.
Tata Safari > Tata Siera > Tata Sumo > Maruti Gypsy.

Poor friends of mine thought that it was true as i am known as an automobile enthusiast in my class from that age itself.
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

Two illustrations I created through Gimp. Tried to stick to the original Sierra design template. Donor image is of a Single Cab Xenon.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?-tata-sierra-2013.jpeg  

Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?-tata-sierra-2013.jpg  

Last edited by ashutoshb : 23rd November 2012 at 07:17.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

The Sierra came and went before I could finish college and earn enough to buy one. I woke up to dreams of being able to buy one today

Just thinking, if TATA could bring it under 8 lakhs starting, under 1500kg kerb weight, with a downsized 2 litre DiCOR engine rated at 120bhp/300Nm, on a shortened Aria platform ...
And add to that a "poser" 4X2 version and a proper 4WD version with manual transfer case, diff locks, provision for snorkel etc

If only ...

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 23rd November 2012 at 08:41.
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:51   #52
BANNED

The Sierra.

My first "Toy". Ours was one of the first "pre-ordered" Sierra, 60th delivered in India, claimed by Pandit Auto in Pune at the time.

Became mine and went under the knife ~'98. MRF Autocoat had just been introduced, so went from original Silver to this:

Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?-sierra2.jpg

Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?-sierra3.jpg

Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?-sierra4.jpg

Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?-sierra1-857x1280.jpg

Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?-sierra5-1280x867.jpg

I would still buy one today because the "SUV Coupe" bodyline is still very appealing.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I was wondering what was different in these pics...then, realised that the grill/headlights seem to be from the Safari...looks good !
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Two illustrations I created through Gimp. Tried to stick to the original Sierra design template. Donor image is of a Single Cab Xenon.
Ashutosh Doesnt look bad at all, looks pretty macho and can well settle into the new role of a Sierra. Btw this was my second car I owned after a Maruti 800. I think lot of people at least on Team BHP must be pretty emotionally attached to the Sierra.
ranc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 16:52   #55
BHPian

There is something strange about this thread
It was almost dead by 21st December 2004, and no further posts for next 8 years!!
Then suddenly resurrected on 20th November 2012
You can see it if you see the first page of this thread
Or is it some posts got deleted ?

I personally felt sierra should relaunched with 2.2 vtvt and better fit and finish
But every business is based on profit target which might be the factor tata is not doing it
The old non turbo version was too under powered and I have seen it struggles to climb a small up hill road near my college
My friends were having one

Later ones came with Safari 2L turbo engines were better, but still not a performer
This was modifiers pet car and DC was having a one model tag named as Karma (Am I wrong? )

During Sierras time, I was an school boy and I used to tell my friends that Sierra would be my first car
But by the time when I decided to go for my first car,Sierra was a sweet memory and Safari didn't hold my Heart to that extend
Finally I end up in Duster..and I am happy with it
Old 23rd November 2012, 20:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Since there is no chance of the Tata Sierra coming back, this speculative / wishlist thread is being closed. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunrajk81 View Post
There is something strange about this thread
It was almost dead by 21st December 2004, and no further posts for next 8 years!!
Then suddenly resurrected on 20th November 2012
You can see it if you see the first page of this thread
Or is it some posts got deleted ?
Nothing strange about it. Karl Slym had recently mentioned that Tata Motors is seriously thinking of launching new products in the small SUV (read sub 4 metre) range. We are wishing / hoping/ dreaming that they bring back the Sierra

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2012 at 13:43. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks