Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 23:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 sets new 24-hour endurance record

I think the driver assistance systems would have greatly helped in driving safely at such high speeds.

Lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control etc plays a vital role in aiding driver control at high speeds.
Old 13th October 2021, 23:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post

Can you share an example of such a warning? I've never heard of anything like this. All engines are designed to operate at 100% load throughout the rev range with no time limits. As per the video below, they even run it over the spec to ensure there is some factor of safety built into the engine.
It's very much there, I have seen it in Tata, Mahindra, Skoda. Its found in the driving section or tachometer section.

The older XUV could hit ~190 top speed which was a big deal for a vehicle like that in 2011. This one is able to maintain 180+ average speed for 24 hours, it is a big step up.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:05   #18
BHPian

The previous high speed endurance runs undertaken on test tracks in our country have dedicated threads.

For those interested :

March-April 2016 - at VRDE Ahmednagar
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...enge-vrde.html (Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE)

September 2018 - at BIC Greater NOIDA
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ddh-track.html (Mercedes' 24 hour performance run at the Buddh track)

It's creditable that these OEMs stuck their necks out in such an endeavour.

Each of these record runs were attempted at different tracks.

I guess the new NATRAX facility in Pithampur, M.P. will probably host the next attempt, whenever someone decides to step up to the plate.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 14th October 2021 at 09:11.
FourWheelDrift is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:49   #19
BHPian

Apparently, our man Aravind KP was part of the team.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 sets new 24-hour endurance record-85f449ce79c447599d4ab531435c0f5f.jpeg  

chethan.ram is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 11:49   #20
BHPian

All of this is fine and dandy for the car but my heart goes out to the drivers who had to sustain the 120 kmph chimes for hours on end.
revsperminute is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 11:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
All of this is fine and dandy for the car but my heart goes out to the drivers who had to sustain the 120 kmph chimes for hours on end.
I was thinking the same; since XUV let's you record your own warnings, they must have definitely done something about it.
Probably, just used some nice noise cancellation Head/Earphones with their choicest music playing.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 13:15   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the speeds were much higher. Some more bites of information from Evo. Avg speed in excess of 200 kmph during the midnight. More information on 19th it seems.

Name:  Evo India.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  135.3 KB
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 13:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I was thinking the same; since XUV let's you record your own warnings, they must have definitely done something about it.
Probably, just used some nice noise cancellation Head/Earphones with their choicest music playing.

Since it's on a private track, road rules don't apply and the speed limit warning or any warning for that sake can be disabled in just under 2 minutes. Any MRV engineer with a engineering diagnostic tool with right parameter knowledge can do it..

Also, they could have planned with removing limitations on engine control unit for more performance as they don't have to worry about emissions or fuel efficiency. It's a possibility, but lot of work in creating a map just for this.

Last edited by saikarthik : 14th October 2021 at 13:23.
saikarthik is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 13:34   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a good record and credit needs to go to the engine, other mechanicals, electronics and electricals of the XUV 700 and lastly the SUV. Quite a few of its components are shared with the XUV700's siblings. And some siblings are tasting grand successes, while others have not been so successful.

The XUV700 in its present avatar ( I won't say contraption as its no longer a test mule now) emerges at that enduring speed creating the 24 hour record. So say after 18-24 months, when Mahindra sorts out the elementary, post launch niggles (as it always does) will the improved version be again tested to endure for more than 24 hours?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th October 2021 at 13:36.
Old 14th October 2021, 14:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a pretty serious exercise to undertake such an enduring 'endurance' test!

Few Qs:-

* How come distance covered by various cars in this XUV 700 scenario, is different?

* Is this endurance test mandatory (by law/region) or optional for manufacturers?

* What kind of parameters get tested, which are not covered previously /additionally to regular road tests?

* Assuming that real-life conditions would almost never test a car to this extreme (180-190 km/h speeds for 24 hrs non-stop) - what "practical" information do manufacturers benefit to learn from such regulated tests? And how do they pass on the regulated test results to daily car endurance performance?

* Since the test is carried out on a single race/test track (and not broken roads, wet/muddy/sandy etc), can the manufacturer rely on these results as "true" endurance results?

* Do the manufacturers register or record the final results with any agency?

* Covering 4000 km in 24 hrs translates to ~166+ km per hour. Amazing.
What's the purpose of achieving/publishing this speed record?
Mercedes-Benz clocked over 2000 km in 24 hrs for the C-Class on the Buddh International Circuit. What does this perspective tell us?
Old 14th October 2021, 14:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am amazed that even the AT variant could endure such extreme driving as the AT fluid tends to heat up (and becomes thinner) when being driven under extreme load for long time.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 11:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

I rather have them go over pot holes, speed bumps, broken bridge suspension ridges etc for 24 hours than go around for a smooth track at high speeds which most people are not even going to maintain for long. I believe the Maruti Alto had done a similar endurance run. 24 hours of rocking the car on bumpy roads which we drive daily on would have brought out all the creaks and groans the car will develop in the real world which would have helped M&M to fix them before hand.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 12:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I rather have them go over pot holes, speed bumps, broken bridge suspension ridges etc for 24 hours than go around for a smooth track at high speeds which most people are not even going to maintain for long. I believe the Maruti Alto had done a similar endurance run. 24 hours of rocking the car on bumpy roads which we drive daily on would have brought out all the creaks and groans the car will develop in the real world which would have helped M&M to fix them before hand.
In addition to this they should also have filled fuel from the shady fuel pumps that are so common on our highways. And also release a few cattle and dogs on the road to really test the braking in real world conditions.

While this is a fun exercise I don't think it gives any guarantees for a real world user regarding actual reliability or maintenance issues.
Memnon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 13:47   #29
One
BHPian

Quote:
There was a pre-arranged 2-minute silence for those brave souls
One is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 14:18   #30
BHPian

Person A: Hey guys, guess what? I just.completed an ultra-marathon yesterday. I created an Indian record!!

Person B: Ultra-marathon on a running track? That is nothing. You should have done a cross country.

Person C: You should have done a decathlon. Marathons are for kids.

Person D: You took so long! Usain Bolt runs 100 meters in 9 seconds, I am sure he will run 100 kms in 3 hours.

Person E: How many liters of water you drank while running? We are a water starved country and I expect you not to drink more than 3 liters of water a day.

Person F: Ha ha, ultrathon is a joke. I will not give it any credit unless you climb the tallest 7 mountains wearing just an underwear.

Person G: Big deal. My cousin is running all the way to Mars next week.

Seriously, this endurance test may not be all encompassing, but it definitely has proven certain things.

Modern engines may be very capable, but how many 'modern' BS6 diesel engines we have got in this price point which can pull a 2 ton vehicle for 4300 odd kms in 24 hours? The icing on the cake is that this engine is designed and manufactured in India

Nobody is stopping its competitors (Hector, Harrier, Safari, Alcazar, Innova, Creta, Seltos) to try and outdo the XUV700. Bring them on!

Last edited by Geta : 15th October 2021 at 14:46.
Geta is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks