Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2021, 14:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 sets new 24-hour endurance record

Basically they did a 24 hr test on a smooth track at top speed that's usually done by manufacturers on dyno.

Maybe a 24 hr Raid de Himalaya type test would be more indicative of wear and tear on our roadways?
Old 15th October 2021, 16:14   #32
BHPian

Must've been annoying few hours for the drivers listening to the continuous speed warning beeps or did they disable it?

Pretty sure all cars in this segment can sustain these speeds in this kind of controlled environment (maybe not the 1.0L motors).

A EV by Mahindra covering 2000+ Kms in 24 hours with charging included would be impressive (looking at you Mahindra, Nexon EV needs a competitor).
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 20:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
All of this is fine and dandy for the car but my heart goes out to the drivers who had to sustain the 120 kmph chimes for hours on end.
Rumor has it that they are yet hearing it!!
SN88 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 08:59   #34
BHPian

This is one way of saying that we have highly capable vehicles, we must focus on building roads that can permit these vehicles to stretch their legs.
What is the point in owning these beasts if we cannot unleash them.
Mahindra will have to throw open these tracks for owners of xuv7oo, as that's the only suitable place and testing their top speed on our roads can endanger human lives.
Old 16th October 2021, 11:28   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
Person A: Hey guys, guess what? I just.completed an ultra-marathon yesterday. I created an Indian record!!

Person B: Ultra-marathon on a running track? That is nothing. You should have done a cross country.

Seriously, this endurance test may not be all encompassing, but it definitely has proven certain things.

Nobody is stopping its competitors (Hector, Harrier, Safari, Alcazar, Innova, Creta, Seltos) to try and outdo the XUV700. Bring them on!
Seriously, some of the comments rebuffing this attempt is just plain ridiculous . Endurance tests are mainly done in closed race tracks just like most high speed attempts. For example, the top-speed record for the Bugatti Veyron/Chiron was done on a VW owned test track, then we didn't have comments on how it should have been done on a road with potholes and dogs. Mahindra created their record, its not their job to create a record for their competitors as well, its the responsibility of the respective car manufacturers if they choose to.
dragracer567 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 20:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Few Qs:-
Here are my asnwers (to the limit of my knowledge and exposure). Probably experts may add more.
Quote:
* How come distance covered by various cars in this XUV 700 scenario, is different?
I guess the difference in distance is the difference in the mileage (fuel consumption). More mileage means less pit stops and more distance. For eg - A diesel manual in the real world will obviously give the better mileage compared to diesel auto.
Quote:
* Is this endurance test mandatory (by law/region) or optional for manufacturers?
This is absolutely not mandatory by any country/in any region.
Quote:
* What kind of parameters get tested, which are not covered previously /additionally to regular road tests?
Endurance, endurance and endurance only - which road tests can never cover it.
Quote:
* Assuming that real-life conditions would almost never test a car to this extreme (180-190 km/h speeds for 24 hrs non-stop) - what "practical" information do manufacturers benefit to learn from such regulated tests? And how do they pass on the regulated test results to daily car endurance performance?
These tests prove the machine's capability and significantly increases the manufacturers/brands credibility. Even though any machine is put to test at the time of manufacuting/designing itself, this is just another public (all the other tests during manufacturing are done in the factory which is a private affair) validation of the claim by the manufacturer about the car.
Quote:
* Since the test is carried out on a single race/test track (and not broken roads, wet/muddy/sandy etc), can the manufacturer rely on these results as "true" endurance results?
These are definitely TRUE endurance tests. Nevertheless, this particular test may not cover the entire endurance parameters.
Quote:
* Do the manufacturers register or record the final results with any agency?
It depends on the purpose and intention of this test. Neverthless it will be recorded with some agencies (not sure of who those agencies are).
Quote:
* Covering 4000 km in 24 hrs translates to ~166+ km per hour. Amazing.
What's the purpose of achieving/publishing this speed record?
Mercedes-Benz clocked over 2000 km in 24 hrs for the C-Class on the Buddh International Circuit. What does this perspective tell us?
Capability of the machine and credibility of the brand.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Journey of the Mahindra XUV700 24 Hours Endurance Record.

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:27   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Journey of the Mahindra XUV700 24 Hours Endurance Record.
Thanks for the share. The FMSCI official says the vehicles are ARAI spec \ stock. I happened to notice MRF tyres as well.

The challenge now is only about making enough of them. Safe to say they have managed to do justice to the XUV brand.
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:35   #39
BHPian

I was waiting for more details on the FE during the run, unfortunately no specific details were shared. Fear not though, one little nugget of information can help get some ballpark numbers.

From the video, the diesel car was refueled every 2 hours, and the petrol every 1hr 10 mins.

Xuv700 tank capacity is 60L.

Assuming 190km/h, that's 380km for the diesel and 220km for the petrol from each tank.

Assuming 55L refills, that's 4kmpl for the petrol and 6.9kmpl for the diesel.

For reference, formula 1 cars burn about 95L during the race distance of 305Km, which is ~3.2 KMPL.

Last edited by d3mon : 2nd November 2021 at 13:40.
d3mon is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I was waiting for more details on the FE during the run, unfortunately no specific details were shared. Fear not though, one little nugget of information can help get some ballpark numbers.

From the video, the diesel car was refueled every 2 hours, and the petrol every 1hr 10 mins.

Xuv700 tank capacity is 60L.

Assuming 190km/h, that's 380km for the diesel and 220km for the petrol from each tank.

For reference, formula 1 cars burn about 95L during the race distance of 305Km, which is ~3.2 KMPL.
That's with the engine at max load. That wouldn't be a fair representation of real world mileage figures.
Not keeping my hopes up though .
Old 2nd November 2021, 16:20   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4kmpl for the petrol
Petrol automatics test-drive cars after idling and doing various test-drives at varying speeds are just returning 4.2-4.5 Kmpl!!
Old 2nd November 2021, 16:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Best FE is achieved when driven between 80-100 KMPH. After that the FE tapers and at something like 190kmph engine is well out of the power band which further results in poor FE. Better not to read in to the FE of this SUV based on this run.
Guna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 18:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Better not to read in to the FE of this SUV based on this run.
What I can take away is: If the diesel delivers X kmpl on the highway, the petrol could be ~60% of that. It's just not a very efficient combo. To be fair, the diesel did better than I expected - 7kmpl is a respectable number under these conditions.

BTW - did Mahindra release the ARAI figures for the XUV700? I could not find them anywhere and I don't understand how they have started deliveries without revealing this number?
Old 2nd November 2021, 22:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW - did Mahindra release the ARAI figures for the XUV700? I could not find them anywhere and I don't understand how they have started deliveries without revealing this number?
Rest assured it's not going to be pretty for any mid-large petrol SUV, worse if it's automatic as well. This is why Arabs love petrol SUVs, it's fun but at the same time they also help build the nation.
Old 3rd November 2021, 01:28   #45

Quote:
I think I remember seeing them saying 13.5 for petrol and 16 for the diesel in a tweet, the same was also said to me by the dealer. He went on to say 10kmpl for city driving which I don't think is impossible and when I did test drive in Petrol AT, I could see FE was showing 6kmpl after a 10 minute drive in mild to no traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks