Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2006, 10:52   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Itsa matter of being considered equal.
Well, the Americans mighty think the same for not getting the Euro Civic there. The Europeans might think they're not being treated eqaul for not getting the Acura models.

It's just a case of "The grass being greener on the other side".

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 2nd July 2006 at 10:54.
Old 2nd July 2006, 10:56   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Well, the Americans mighty think the same for not getting the Euro Civic there. The Europeans might think they're not being treated eqaul for not getting the Acura models.

It's just a case of "The grass being greener on the other side".

Shan2nu
can agree to you here. But its not a case of extremes.

expect price cutting everywhere when you get a new model in India.

This is what Iam talking about.
Old 2nd July 2006, 11:30   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
expect price cutting everywhere when you get a new model in India.
Thats bcoz very few would buy a Civic for 14-15 lakhs (even if it came with all the goodies).

It's not that they don't want to give us the complete package but, the question is.....who's gonna take the first step? The moment a company bumps up the prices of it's cars, people will automatically start veering towards it's cheaper and simpler rivals.

The Vectra was one of the most gizmoed car in India (under 25 lakhs) but what happened? Cars like the Accord and Sonata just blew it into the weeds.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd July 2006, 12:53   #244
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Since there was so much talk about equality going on, an interesting trivia: Mitsubishi sells the EVO in Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Nepal (their own official website). How come India hasn't gotten one yet?? Coz we are pretty much satisfied with the crap these manufacturers are unloading on the Indian market.
Old 2nd July 2006, 13:04   #245
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
The right stuff? Well nobody is bringing in the right stuff. Why doesn't the Swift have a 150BHP engine, why doesnt the lancer have a screaming EVO engine, why is it that hyundai santro has no turbocharging.
All manufacturers are looters. Lets make min 200BHP engine a requirement NOW!

To answer the why, its not really difficult. The manufacturer will bring what people will buy. Including the people who moan and bitch about the lower power. Honda could have got a bigger better engine, but then it would push up the cost and then people will moan how expensive the civic is.
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Well, every car sold here is inferior to what you get abroad. How is the RS satisfying when it comes with 30bhp less (probably the highest drop in power among Indian cars)? How is the Camry satisfying when it doesn't have a V6 variant (when Honda and Hyundai have them)? How is it satisfying when a 120bhp Invex comes with a 4 speed gearbox? (Even a M800 has 5) The list goes on.....

Every car has something that you'd want it to have and yet, people don't seem to mind. It's the same thing with the Civic. Not buying it, just bcoz it's not a DOHC would be foolish (and i know people aren't gonna fall for this).
There seem to be a couple of obvious reasons why we don't get the same powerful cars. The ground clearance has to be higher in India to handle our roads -- this would make the cars less stable. Secondly tyres on our pot-holed roads cannot afford to have the low profile needed for very high speeds -- this makes high-speed cornering less safe. I suspect the suspension has to be strung stiffer in order to last on our rough roads-- which would make the ride inferior as compared to US or European models. In short the high-end cars will become very costly in our country as they will have to be completely re-engineered. Of course the low demand for costly cars is also a factor as mentioned.

Last edited by rks : 2nd July 2006 at 13:08.
Old 2nd July 2006, 13:23   #246
BANNED

In times of exhaust talk,Mother Mary comes to me,speaking words of wisdom,let it be!

Dev, leave it, bhai ... We have stated our points and the wise ones will understand. The H5 (top-end) Corolla with a DOHC, leather, audio controls on the steering and foglamps is priced more or less the same as the Civic which is being launched here with no leather, no foglamps, no audio controls on steering and a SOHC engine will be (If not, the H2 will, which only loses leather and has the rest of the mentioned goodies). Also, the fuel effeciency on both the cars will be more or less the same.

Someone has stated that the SOHC Indian Civic will be more than awesome on power before they have even sat in one (forget having driven one), when maybe the other someone has already driven the 1.8 Civic on his very short holiday somewhere close to India (this person being me). What got me worried was the lack of torque at low-revs which we would need in our traffic conditions, but let's not forget, even cars like M800 survive our traffic conditions.

What I appreciate about you is that you acknowledge the fact that the Civic will conquer the market in it's segment when it's launched. Dev, it's not that Honda can really do something about this.... They only have DOHC on their 2.0 engine and not 1.8 engine for the Civic, which, like tsk has said would increase the price like crazy... Not so much because of the DOHC, but greatly because of it being a 2.0.

NOTE 1: I have noticed this on a few threads (Hyundai, Baleno included)... Brand defenders at times get too carried away like immature kids/ obssessed zombies and this only brings down the quality of our beautiful forum. How much do these companies pay you all for this? Ask yourselves and have a good laugh too.

NOTE 2: While the Civic has no audio controls on steering an foglamps, it has two things that no other car in it's segment do ... 1. No transmission tunnel/ Flat floor technology 2. Audio controls at the rear.

NOTE 3: For some time to come, I will refrain from posting on this thread as what matters most to me is that we all get along as we are all part of ONE team, Team-BHP.

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 2nd July 2006 at 13:30.
Old 2nd July 2006, 14:31   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
NOTE 1: I have noticed this on a few threads (Hyundai, Baleno included)... Brand defenders at times get too carried away like immature kids/ obssessed zombies and this only brings down the quality of our beautiful forum.
OT:

When I came to team-bhp, i was amazed with a quality posts and threads here, but soon the bitter truth came out in open when I encountered hardcore brand defenders shouting on forums, yes, like kids!

All this is seriously harming the quality of threads nowdays.
Old 2nd July 2006, 14:55   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NOTE 1: I have noticed this on a few threads (Hyundai, Baleno included)... Brand defenders at times get too carried away like immature kids/ obssessed zombies and this only brings down the quality of our beautiful forum. How much do these companies pay you all for this? Ask yourselves and have a good laugh too.
Quote:
Someone has stated that the SOHC Indian Civic will be more than awesome on power before they have even sat in one (forget having driven one),
Forget the indirect mudslinging, give me one good reason why the Civic should have come with a DOHC? (wrt to it's competitors)

And why would the Indian buyer choose the more expensive DOHC over the SOHC?

And please, don't copy paste some article you found on the net. I want to hear your views.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 2nd July 2006 at 15:01.
Old 2nd July 2006, 15:14   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why dont we get suzuki liana?
We dont want it.

Quote:
I dunno why all the manuacturers still treat India as a young market. I guess its matured pretty much and ready for the right models.
Well when a SOHC is doing the job well do we really need a DOHC.

Quote:
Becoz the more expensive engine also happens to be the better engine.
The DOHC engine is available on 2.0L models i guess. If i remember correctly Mitsubishi Lancer is a SOHC, wheras the Accent is a DOHC, but does that make the Accent a better car then the Lancer, certainly not.

Quote:
expect price cutting everywhere when you get a new model in India
Price cutting and features cutting. Only car which doesnot have the features cutting is the Optra & the Elantra. Heck even the Alloys are the same around the whole world.

Quote:
The Vectra was one of the most gizmoed car in India (under 25 lakhs) but what happened?
Forget the Vectra, i cant understand why a car like a Mondeo which has no negative point what so ever couldnot do well in our country.

Quote:
How come India hasn't gotten one yet??
Becuase of their sick Indian partners HM who advertise the Amby with such lines. " Floor Gears, etc" I love mitsu but why on earth did they join hands with HM??

Quote:
What got me worried was the lack of torque at low-revs which we would need in our traffic conditions
Most Honda engines have this due to Vtec techno, at high revs the car is going insanely crazy.

Quote:
1. No transmission tunnel/ Flat floor technology 2. Audio controls at the rear.
3. Digital Speedo 4. Opposite Wipers.

Shan 800 is now a 4 speed. LOL
Old 2nd July 2006, 15:49   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well when a SOHC is doing the job well do we really need a DOHC.
Exactly my point. I've already said that DOHC is better than SOHC but, you have to be practical when you launch a car. As it is people are saying the Civic is overpriced, why make it worse.

It would have been diff if the Corolla and the other C+ segment cars were to have between 135-140bhp but, they don't. Which ever way you look at it, the Civic is extracting more power from it's 1.8 ltr engine.

Quote:
Shan 800 is now a 4 speed. LOL
Haha.

Shan2nu
Old 3rd July 2006, 11:37   #251
Senior - BHPian

Well there is lot of debate happening on SOHC vs DOHC.
Like most mortals, I do not know the difference between the 2 and what are the pros & cons of each.
Can some one share POwer and Torque Charts of say Honda Civic 1.8 SOHC and Toyota Corolla DOHC...?
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:44   #252
BHPian

BREAKING NEWS
Civic prices declared.... check out now...
its in 2 versions.. AT and Mt
MT in ghaziabad costs 1,075,000
At - 1,145,000
Old 3rd July 2006, 15:08   #253
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai prices:
1.8S MT : Rs.1,128,000
1.8S AT : Rs.1,198,000

Source: Honda India Website
Old 3rd July 2006, 15:21   #254
BHPian

Corolla - All the best!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3rd July 2006, 15:52   #255
BHPian

On Road Price

That translates to approx 14L on-road price in Bangalore for the automatic. Need to see what all is included in it.. ~13.4/5L for the manual..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks