Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 18:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Shortage of smart cards from RTOs in some states

Myself to blame, submitted my RC Card for HP cancellation, got back a sheet of paper from the RTO. The paper looks flimsy and resembles a cheque leaf.
Old 23rd February 2022, 21:13   #32
BHPian

Curious to know how the new DL's are? Are they also paper?
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:43   #33
Team-BHP Support

My ownership transfer through AASI was completed early Feb and yet to receive my RC copy. Around the same time, my Jetta transfer happened via an agent in the same RTO. RS already issued within 2 weeks!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 23:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My ownership transfer through AASI was completed early Feb and yet to receive my RC copy. Around the same time, my Jetta transfer happened via an agent in the same RTO. RS already issued within 2 weeks!
Seems very slow my car was registered on 18th Dec - HSRP came the next day and RC arrived by post on 8th
Old 14th March 2022, 17:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know how long it takes for RC card /paper to reach your residence?
I got my new scooter registered on 8 Jan at RTO East (Kasturinagar) and till date no sign of the RC.
Old 14th March 2022, 18:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I got my new scooter registered on 8 Jan at RTO East (Kasturinagar) and till date no sign of the RC.
RC card will reach only after vehicle is

1. Registered
2. Number Plate is installed
3. Photo of the vehicle is uploaded.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 14:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I was in a similar situation for my classic 350 registered in October.
I went to KA03 RTO office in Feb first week, i found out the dealer had updated the number plate only in December last week.
So as per RTO it will take 2 months after that.
I went again yesterday and was able to get the RC card (not paper) after the person searched for it. ( I didnt need to pay anything )
You have to go to 2nd floor room no. 22 for RC card related queries. It may be closed you can push open and enquire.
Hope this helps.
alexgv is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 12:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgv View Post
I was in a similar situation for my classic 350 registered in October.
I went to KA03 RTO office in Feb first week, i found out the dealer had updated the number plate only in December last week.
So as per RTO it will take 2 months after that.
I went again yesterday and was able to get the RC card (not paper) after the person searched for it. ( I didnt need to pay anything )
You have to go to 2nd floor room no. 22 for RC card related queries. It may be closed you can push open and enquire.
Hope this helps.
Got fed up of waiting for the card to come home. So as you directed, went to Room 22, which was shut, pushed open the door and got my RC paper in 2 minutes. There were hundreds of cards neatly placed in cloth envelopes, waiting to be dispatched. Wonder what was stopping them from just posting it.

The RC paper is the size of a cheque leaf. Folded in the center with all info on the outer sides.
goandude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 12:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Got fed up of waiting for the card to come home. So as you directed, went to Room 22, which was shut, pushed open the door and got my RC paper in 2 minutes. There were hundreds of cards neatly placed in cloth envelopes, waiting to be dispatched. Wonder what was stopping them from just posting it.

The RC paper is the size of a cheque leaf. Folded in the center with all info on the outer sides.
I really wonder when Karnataka RTO will start the cards again rather than paper. Maharashtra surprisingly does not have this issue, I wonder how it's KA RTO that has shortage of chips to issue the cards? Are other southern RTOs having the same problem issuing RC Cards or is it only in Bangalore?

Last edited by Sheel : 18th April 2022 at 11:46. Reason: Typos. Please proof read your post before submitting. Thanks.
sajands is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th April 2022, 09:30   #40
BHPian

I see Kerala provides similar printouts, but they are laminated by default.
Shortage of smart cards from RTOs in some states-img_20220413_0822140650101.jpeg
(Details blurred intentionally)
Vijin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 17:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The semiconductor shortage has another victim, this time affecting Smart cards issued for new vehicle registration.

Karnataka RTO has stopped issuing Smart cards for all new registrations and transfers. There is no stock of smart cards and henceforth a digitized paper will be provided in lieu of Smart cards. There will be no smart card fee henceforth.
This had happened in Maharashtra about five years back. Though semiconductors were plentiful then, the reason was that a new state government had taken over and a few years later the tenure of the party given such a contract had expired. I too hence have a RC on such a printout.
That's a valid legal tender.

The smart card could now come by only when time comes for renewal of this registration or else if this printout is lost and reported and duplicate applied for. Smart card issuance was commenced about a year later when someone else bagged the contract and continues.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 17:55   #42
BHPian

I have bought my car in September 2020 (Salt Lake RTO, WB08). Have not received the smart card since then. I carry my details in MParivahan and Digilocker along with Form-23 issued from the RTO. Is anyone else from WB in the same boat?
Old 19th April 2022, 17:59   #43
BHPian

I recently Re-Registered my Fiesta (transfer from Mumbai) in Bangalore.

The number got generated quickly and got the RC soon too. BUT, it's not a smartcard. A printout paper, folded. I need to laminate it.

Note - I went through an agent.
Old 19th April 2022, 18:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:
There were hundreds of cards neatly placed in cloth envelopes, waiting to be dispatched. Wonder what was stopping them from just posting it.
This happened to me a few years ago. Waited for a month and then went to Koramangala RTO (KA01). A tout asked for Rs.300. I declined and went to the cards section (or something). The guy in there quickly located my RC Card and casually asked Rs. 100 He asked me to sign the register. In the register i could see at random, they had sent off some cards via Post and some cards they hadn't yet sent.

I guess they do this in the hope that anxious vehicle owners will show up and they can earn some cash for doing what they are already paid to do. Ours country is brilliant
loki is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 19:58   #45

Received my smart card (Karnataka KA 04) in April for an October delivery - 6 months!.

Digilocker app. came in handy even for outstation trips when the vehicle was checked. As long as you can be patient and make do with an App instead of paper/ Card.
anantsood is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks