Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 14:14   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I beg to differ. I've been speaking to a lot of people out here and they all miss the ISUZU PUP which was a small diesel pickup. small diesel work trucks have a demand none have fulfilled. True all trucks have out grown their original size and thats one of the reason FORD has discontinued the ranger too. but then, the ranger's resale value increased after that coz its a small work truck.
I am glad you have done the Market research for Mahindra. The opinion of the few people you spoke to should be sufficient for Mahindra to spend million getting into the US Market.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:45   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

@14000 rpm. The market for a diesel pick is so miniscule. If it was such a hot market,Ford, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi etc have small deisel pickups in their global product range that are far superior to the Getaway. They already have the dealer network. Why don't they offer their small deisel pick up in the US? The reason is that volumes won't justify the cost of launching. With Mahindra, they want to break into the US market and given their product portfolio, the pick is the only thing they can consider selling there.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:02   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am glad you have done the Market research for Mahindra. The opinion of the few people you spoke to should be sufficient for Mahindra to spend million getting into the US Market.
that's sarcasm unlimited..
wise guy.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 20th October 2010 at 16:13.
Old 20th October 2010, 17:00   #169
Senior - BHPian

my 2 cents

I have a gut feeling that Mahindra would target those individuals who already own Mahindra tractors in the US. An individual who already owns a Mahindra may want to consider another mahindra.

Please have a look at the Mahindra USA website before jumping to conslusions. What matters is word of mouth publicity and Mahindra certainly would win hands down here.

Mahindra Tractor - Compact tractors, utility tractors, farm tractors, ag tractors, attachments, implements & farm equipment - all built tough!
Old 20th October 2010, 17:14   #170
BHPian

Now, has the sudden lack of interest in the local distributor on part of M&M got anything to do with the taking over of Ssangyong? Do they own an assembling facility in the US? Even if they did, how easy would it be to start assembling the pickups?
Old 20th October 2010, 17:47   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
that's sarcasm unlimited..
wise guy.
Sorry mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I have a gut feeling that Mahindra would target those individuals who already own Mahindra tractors in the US. An individual who already owns a Mahindra may want to consider another mahindra.
Tractor Market and Pick up market is totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
Now, has the sudden lack of interest in the local distributor on part of M&M got anything to do with the taking over of Ssangyong? Do they own an assembling facility in the US? Even if they did, how easy would it be to start assembling the pickups?
Ssangyong had not manufacturing facility in the USA. It would be too expensive for Mahindra to set up it's own assembly line given the limited numbers. Even building a dealer network for single product is not trivial.

First off, I hope people understand the my skeptism is not due to my dislike for Mahindra or lack of Patriotism. I am a very satisfied owner of a Scorpio and would love to see an India company succeed in united states, but the reality is that Mahindra will not succeed in the USA with the getaway pick up, period as the market for compact diesel pick ups is so small that well established companies in the USA are not interested in offering these products despite having access to them in their global portfolio. And BTW, these compact deisel pick ups from Toyota, Mitsu etc are far more superior to Scorpio Getaway.
Old 20th October 2010, 21:58   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My 2 cents - Mahindra would do better if they harness the power of Reva and go in for a petrol-electric hybrid - thats the next generation of cars going to be launched - already we have civic hybrid, prius hybrid etc selling and have nissan leaf, chevy volt coming through.
But Reva will never pass the US Highway Safety requirements. But they could sell it for Golf Kart kind of applications, similar to GEM vehicles. You could see GEM for rent in Las Vegas and San Francisco for use in city roads.
Quote:
Mahindra will not succeed in the USA with the getaway pick up.
Also Mahindras current management is not capable of pulling this off, They need to hire some one who knows US market and put in charge of this operation first.

Last edited by teamveevee : 20th October 2010 at 22:04.
Old 20th October 2010, 22:07   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
But Reva will never pass the US Highway Safety requirements. But they could sell it for Golf Kart kind of applications, similar to GEM vehicles. You could see GEM for rent in Las Vegas and San Francisco for use in city roads.
I beg to disagree - smart fortwo is just barely big than the reva i, and certainly equal or smaller than reva nxr / nxg.
Also - I never said 'launch' the reva i/nxr/nxg, what I said is 'harness' the power of reva - their technical knowhow that is, and apply it to modified or new M&M vehicles.
Old 21st October 2010, 07:01   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry mate.
that's ok man..i don't like to wage a war with keyboard warriors anyways.
Old 6th November 2010, 00:03   #175
BHPian

Seems like Global Vehicles are moving towards a compromise with Mahindra. Check out the email I (and all those who registered for test drive) got from GV and signed John Perez.

Quote:
Good Morning Mahindra Truck Fans,
Congratulations. You are part of over 30,000 signed up to be the first to experience the hardworking Mahindra trucks.

I know you are wondering when you will have the opportunity to get behind the wheel of one of these amazing, authentic, robust, fuel-efficient trucks at a Mahindra dealer near you. While I cannot give you a firm answer on timing, I can tell you in my estimation, trucks will arrive in the spring of 2011.

Mahindra has applied for and received their EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) certificate, which means the vehicles have passed emission requirements. They also filed with (NHTSA) National Highway Safety Administration, which handles US standards for safety.

With these hurdles completed, it would seem production is imminent, but other factors may hinder the US launch. India’s car sales are on a dramatic trajectory upward. The sales pace combined with an industry wide parts shortage is impacting home market sales, which will have an affect on the United States introduction.

In closing, I know each of you anxiously await the arrival of the Mahindra trucks, and I am confident that you will see a launch announcement in the next few months.

If you haven't seen the Specsheet on the trucks yet, please click on the link below to see it.

Click here to view Specsheet

Or copy and place the following into your browser:

http://mahindrana.com/pdf/specsheet.pdf
Regards,

John A. Perez
CEO
Global Vehicles USA, Inc.
1720 Windward Concourse
Suite 400
Alpharetta, GA 30005

(770) 753-4441 (Office)
(770) 753-4420 (Fax)

www.mahindraNA.com
Old 6th November 2010, 09:31   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Seems like Global Vehicles are moving towards a compromise with Mahindra. Check out the email I (and all those who registered for test drive) got from GV and signed John Perez.
I got the same today in my email.
Old 6th November 2010, 22:37   #177
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gshanky, still doesn't say anything about the dispute being resolved. Global Vehicles even sent a purchase order to Mahindra, AFTER the latter publicly announced that their relationship is over. Of course, Mahindra rejected that purchase order.

GV must be banking heavily on litigation.
Old 7th November 2010, 00:03   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gshanky, still doesn't say anything about the dispute being resolved. Global Vehicles even sent a purchase order to Mahindra, AFTER the latter publicly announced that their relationship is over. Of course, Mahindra rejected that purchase order.

GV must be banking heavily on litigation.
I agree that the email does not say specifically anything in reference to the issue. But in the email

1) GV is mentioning that they expect the vehicle to reach US shores by spring 2011.
2) The reason GV is giving for the delay is that demand for M&M vehicles in India has shot up - if this is the reason given by Mahindra in the arbitration, I am not sure how GV could counter that until the demand for Mahindra reduces in India.

But anyways I assumed that GV would move towards a compromise because Mahindra is acting tough and the dealers could get restless and start to take some actions against GV. Let's see how this works out
Old 9th February 2011, 07:10   #179
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wow! Is Mahindra silently making its way into the USA? EDIT: Got EPA go-ahead Pg.

Mahindra was targetting at hitting the 30 mpg fuel economy and missed it by a 3rd.The four-wheel-drive Mahindra TR40 crew-cab pickup with a four-cylinder diesel engine and automatic transmission has been rated by the EPA at only 19 mpg city/21 mpg highway. By comparison, the 4x4 2011 Dodge Dakota with a 3.7 liter V6 engine is rated at 14/18.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:07   #180
BHPian

Re: Wow! Is Mahindra silently making its way into the USA? EDIT: Got EPA go-ahead Pg.

You are under impression that Reva is having great technologies at hand, they look like are just a bit better than any hobby enthusiast doing DIY electric vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks