Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 18:36   #106
Senior - BHPian

I take the report with a pinch of salt. Its quite obvious the standard of research when one sees things like 'The pickup is a little larger than the Ford Ranger. ', 'Timing for U.S. sales is fluid; it will arrive either in late 2010 or sometime in 2011.', 'Tata Nano sedan'.....

M&M having been playing about with launch dates in the US for three years now that its become a joke. This is the third time that they are officially announcing a date. I have doubts that the NHTSA tests have gone well with the Scorpio pick up especially with the new standards in place since Feb' 10. It scored badly under similar conditions when crash tested in Australia (albeit without airbags, but it scored poorly in every other department as well) a couple of years ago, let alone the latest US standards. Report attached.

I think M&M will launch the Xylo pick up version because this being a much newer model would have undergone contemporary crash testing unlike the Scorpio. Also why would they launch the Scorpio SUV in 18 months when they would have a much better model ready by then.

The new gen SUV will make a lot more sense in the US rather than the Scorpio, which will be an easy target for biased media. Mahindra have already successfully captured the tractor market and I hope they make an impact in the UV segments as well. It will be amazing to see a carmaker that started with assembling Willys jeeps hold their own in the US of A. Go on Mahindra keep the tri colour flying high.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mahindrapikup07.pdf (332.2 KB, 594 views)
Old 30th May 2010, 23:33   #107
BHPian

Just saw an AD on Fox news in USA for a Mahindra tractor.
They are marketing it as the "world's largest manufacturer" of tractors.

Mahindrausa.com is the official website.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

It seems our M&M have been sued by its US distributor for delays in launching the US pick up. Global vehicles claim that between themselves and appointed dealers approx. $100 million have been spent in preparation for its launch. Considering that in the US people go upto the extent of suing themselves for dosh, Global's claims should be taken with a pinch or maybe a heap of salt.

But this has been dissapointing especially since M&M themselves have announced various launch dates. There is actually quite a following for this pickup launch and even a few dedicated forums. I dont see at the right price why this wont be a success in the US. Being a true diesel workhorse, it would have a breath of fresh air compared to the huge, gas guzzling, softly sprung US dinosaurs.

M&M should not withdraw from this market but maybe appoint more reliable dealers and also set a more realistic deadline.

Source: Mahindra sued by American distributor
Old 16th June 2010, 22:35   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
It seems our M&M have been sued by its US distributor for delays in launching the US pick up. Global vehicles claim that between themselves and appointed dealers approx. $100 million have been spent in preparation for its launch. Considering that in the US people go upto the extent of suing themselves for dosh, Global's claims should be taken with a pinch or maybe a heap of salt.

But this has been dissapointing especially since M&M themselves have announced various launch dates. There is actually quite a following for this pickup launch and even a few dedicated forums. I dont see at the right price why this wont be a success in the US. Being a true diesel workhorse, it would have a breath of fresh air compared to the huge, gas guzzling, softly sprung US dinosaurs.

M&M should not withdraw from this market but maybe appoint more reliable dealers and also set a more realistic deadline.

Source: Mahindra sued by American distributor
I think Mahindra deserves it. They have been delaying the launch from a long time.
Old 17th June 2010, 03:57   #110
Senior - BHPian

What these manufacturers do not understand is that a country's reputation is always at stake when they make commitments like this. As such Indian business houses aren't really known for their ethics and Mahindra just shot itself in the foot. A bunch of idiots.

Look at the way Tata conducts business abroad and I am not talking about Tata motors only, but the entire group.
Old 17th June 2010, 08:35   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
There is actually quite a following for this pickup launch and even a few dedicated forums. I dont see at the right price why this wont be a success in the US. Being a true diesel workhorse, it would have a breath of fresh air compared to the huge, gas guzzling, softly sprung US dinosaurs.
Friend, I think you are mistaken about the US pick up market. The market for fuel efficient small pick ups is very minute in the US. Diesel is not as popular as in India/Europe as Diesel actually costs more than petrol in the US. There are reasonably fuel efficient small pick ups in the US like the Toyota Tacoma. The full size pick ups with V8s far outnumber the sales of smaller pick ups.

I like Mahindra but I feel breaking into the US market will be a long struggle for them.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:53   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
I think Mahindra deserves it. They have been delaying the launch from a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
What these manufacturers do not understand is that a country's reputation is always at stake when they make commitments like this. As such Indian business houses aren't really known for their ethics and Mahindra just shot itself in the foot. A bunch of idiots.
I don't think that Mahindra's terms of Agreement with Global Vehicles is that porous that they can sue Mahindra for launch delays. IMO GV is suing mahindra to protect itself from the sub-dealers who have agreements with GV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Look at the way Tata conducts business abroad and I am not talking about Tata motors only, but the entire group.
TATA also makes some deliberate mistakes and being in the software industry, I know of a few about TCS. But that discussion is off-topic unless you make it necessary

Overall there is very less reputation for Indian Companies world over and this case against M&M is just a legal matter.

I am neither emotional nor a fanboy. Just being pragmatic.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:55   #113
Senior - BHPian

More details here US distributor sues M&M over delay- Hindustan Times

With Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) missing two deadlines since 2009 to launch its pick-up truck in the US, the auto maker's exclusive American distributor has slapped a lawsuit against the company.

Atlanta-based distributor Global Vehicles (GV), in the lawsuit filed before a district court, has alleged inordinate delay in the launch of the truck, based on M&M's SUV Scorpio platform.

"M&M has learned that GV has filed a lawsuit in the US. GV has also initiated a separate arbitration proceedings. Mahindra believes these actions to be without merit and will contest them," an M&M spokesperson said.

M&M and GV entered into a pact in September 2006 and Mahindra proposed to launch the pick-up truck in 2009. However, this got delayed over regulatory clearances and it revised the deadline to beginning of this fiscal year, which too was missed.

GV said in its lawsuit filed on June 14 that the company spent close to $35 million in preparation for the launch, adding, US dealers have also spent more than $60 million in franchisee fees for the right to sell M&M vehicles. It has also asked the court to prevent M&M from selling its vehicles through any other dealer.

However, an M&M spokesperson said, "Mahindra remains committed to launching its products in the US market."
__________________________________________________ ____________________

We donot want M&M to have an impact due to this lawsuit.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:46   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
We do not want M&M to have an impact due to this lawsuit.
Why not? If they are found guilty by the law of 'that' land, they should respect and abide by it - Just like we are up in arms for the last 25+ years for a similar situation but vice versa situation. Their 'company' Vs our 'law of land'.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:08   #115
BHPian

Mahindra gets sued by its US distributor

Mahindra's U.S. Distributor Sues Indian Automaker Over Delayed Diesel Trucks ? Automotive News & Car Rumors at Automobile Magazine

As somebody who was skeptical about mahindra's entry into the US market, I am not surprised.
Old 17th June 2010, 20:21   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
More details here US distributor sues M&M over delay- Hindustan Times

With Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) missing two deadlines since 2009 to launch its pick-up truck in the US, the auto maker's exclusive American distributor has slapped a lawsuit against the company.

Atlanta-based distributor Global Vehicles (GV), in the lawsuit filed before a district court, has alleged inordinate delay in the launch of the truck, based on M&M's SUV Scorpio platform.

We donot want M&M to have an impact due to this lawsuit.
Amit thats some bad news for M&M fans- the company may have to pay damages as US laws are quite stringent on this count. Maybe GV are banking on breach of contract by Mahindra.
The US laws on motor vehicle safety and emissions are very stringent and any automobile sold has to conform to their standards.
Undoubtedly the Scorpio variant is not yet ready with the US standards and so the delay.
Mahindra has now to choose between the devil and the deep sea.And the company must be very particular about quality as they can be sued even by consumers later for damages with defective designs.
But if the Scorpio clicks in the US then its all gold for Mahindra. It will be a first by any Indian four wheeler manufacturer.I mean an Indian desgined one!
Old 17th June 2010, 21:21   #117
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought.

As a stop gap measure M&M could start selling Xenons from Tata under the Mahindra badge in the US. I know the chances for Tata and M&M going at it together are minimal. This will give Mahindra a more contemporary pick up than the Scorpio and being a more recent design has higher chances of passing safety tests.

This will work in the favour of both cos. M&M will have a product ready while Tata can make use of the additional volumes, as it is they do not sell in the US. I guess they will have to redo the interiors which would have been the same with the Scorpio as well.

This will help Tata more ways than one as well. M&Ms success will reflect on the 'Made in India' brand in the long run.
Old 17th June 2010, 22:38   #118
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra is still committed to launch themselves in US. wonder whats holding them.
Global Vehicles indeed has invested heavily and is obviously frustrated.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:44   #119
Senior - BHPian

Moving the launch date with the infrastructure in place, will definitely be frustrating for the dealers. They take a heavy beating on their ROI. No wonder they sued!
Old 18th June 2010, 11:53   #120
Senior - BHPian

Is there something wrong with the vehicle? Hope they are not having safety or emission related issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks