Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2022, 13:18   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Was trawling the web when I came across this website and description. Hilarious to say the least.
Seriously!?
Toyota first registered the Hyryder trademark around the time the Wagon R EV (with a Toyota badge if I remember correctly) was spotted testing so naturally the word going around was that it would be called the Hyryder.

Last edited by ron178 : 8th June 2022 at 13:25.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 13:38   #227
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Dumb question perhaps.

The pure EV range seems high enough to easily handle the daily urban commute.

What stops manufacturers from providing a way to charge the batteries using a wall charger rather than just the generator/engine? It would reduce daily running costs to a minimum while the generator/engines removes range anxiety on longer drives. Kind of the best of both worlds.
I suppose you are talking of a PHEV or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle. The best ones on market offer about 50-60 kms of pure electric driving. Ofcourse there are ones that offer even bigger ranges, like the BMW i3 REx but that is a whole another debate for later.

Quote:
How much additional cost will it incur, though? The charging system exists already. It just has to support another input source of power to the same charging system. (This could be a gross oversimplification. But it appears like cost is not the biggest constraint here).
Check out Toyota USA. RAV4 is available as petrol, hybrid and 'Prime' (PHEV) models. You can check out the pricing of each as well. Just do not start wishing for Toyota to launch those at competitive rates here in India.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 14:21   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dumb question perhaps.

The pure EV range seems high enough to easily handle the daily urban commute.

What stops manufacturers from providing a way to charge the batteries using a wall charger rather than just the generator/engine? It would reduce daily running costs to a minimum while the generator/engines removes range anxiety on longer drives. Kind of the best of both worlds.
I think either it is a typo of 8-10kms(even that is large) or they are claiming that a certain % boost in the full tank range (due to regen or other optimisations) can be around 80-100kms over that of a conventional ICE car. I would go with the later as it may be more logical.

What you are asking here is Plugin hybrid which will mean bigger battery additional components which will further increase the price. I think the biggest hurdle today in EV adoption are not the powertrains but the Batteries themselves. They tend to get huge, heavy, heat up as the capacity increases.
Old 8th June 2022, 15:30   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota's build up to the launch continues:

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 496
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 501
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  22.7 KB

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th June 2022 at 15:52.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 16:46   #230
BHPian

This is super competitive segment, and the entrants needs to offer something unique or overpower the incumbents in terms of engine specs /looks/ space. Korean siblings lack safety and the right mechanicals I would expect a segment breaker from Toyota,

But looking at the available information I am afraid that they are repeating what they did in Yaris. That time safety was not the trending topic and their USP of 6 airbags turned out to be a dud. You cannot enter a competitive segment without having the best trick in your sleeve. Yaris, Jazz, Santro (New), BRV, Lodgy, Santa Fe, SCross are all examples of mediocre offering against strong competition and their fate is visible,

103 HP is disappointing, not even competitive in a segment below (sub 4 meters), mass market buyer will have a little understaffing of hybrid offerings
Ideally to crack the segment one needs to operate a generation ahead. (what creata was to duster, what swift was to getz, what innova as to travera, Kwid was to alto800)

Toyota has strong 'SUV brand positioning', 'tough positioning', 'reliable positioning' If they do another Yaris this time a lot of car lovers will be disappointed
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 17:07   #231
BHPian

Maybe I'm unable to understand this, what is "Strong" about a 1.5L petrol engine (114 HP) despite being paired with an electric motor?

This segment is already priced at 22-23L with competitors that offer 140+ HP.

Quite likely that Toyota could price it more than the current competition.

Last edited by GoBlue : 8th June 2022 at 17:10.
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 17:25   #232
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Maybe I'm unable to understand this, what is "Strong" about a 1.5L petrol engine (114 HP) despite being paired with an electric motor?

This segment is already priced at 22-23L with competitors that offer 140+ HP.

Quite likely that Toyota could price it more than the current competition.
The word "strong" is used here with respect to the strength of the hybrid system, i.e., its capability to provide assistance to the petrol engine. It's not necessary that a "strong" hybrid system will have better power figures as compared to its competitors.
Old 8th June 2022, 17:43   #233
BHPian

Strong Hybrid means the car would run on Electric alone for some distance, may be the 8-10km. I strongly doubt the 80-100km range that is being quoted.

In comparison the Mild hybrid touted by Maruti, can only 'assist" the ICE engine. It can't power the car on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
cuboid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 17:54   #234
BHPian

My understanding of the "Strong" Hybrid is what Honda eHev is offering. The petrol engine charging the small battery which helps with increasing the mileage on the car.
Old 8th June 2022, 18:30   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
- In the pure EV mode, the car is expected to run for about 80-100 km

If they can get this done under 20L then it will be a miracle,

But going by the creative shared by Toyota there is no focus on battery placement or battery placement floor,

Unless this hybrid is apparent to a common folk in the form of an outlier fuel economy this feature will not be a sales multiplier
Old 8th June 2022, 20:54   #236
BHPian

Well, i was excited hearing this new about Hyryder, but, today looking at the engine power specifications, feel a tad disappointed.

My observation with Toyota:
They seem to deliberately tune engines for lower power output. A 1.5L petrol engine, at-least in my mind, can be safely tuned to churn-out around 120PS. When competition can provide larger output, 103PS (though not low) is not very attractive. Possibly, mileage consideration...?

I also feel their petrol engines are not very revv friendly - meaning it's not easy to redline them....seems to be conservative approach in favor of longevity of engines. This is just my experience, other owners can chime-in.

Having said that, over 100PS power is sufficient to cruise comfortably, but, may not fully support enthusiastic driving.

Couple of questions to folks who are fortunate to experience both 1.5L Petrol engines (most notably the iVTEC) and 1.0 TSI {VW} /TGDI (Hyundai/Kia):
(a) Is the power delivery past 2K rpm significantly better in Turbos compared to NA engines?
(b) On practical highway conditions, or, single-lane roads, how much of difference is observed when revving a linear iVTEC as against a 1.0 TSI/TGDI?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by VikramCS : 8th June 2022 at 20:55.
Old 8th June 2022, 20:57   #237
BHPian

The mild and strong hybrid options gives Toyota the opportunity to create a wider spread of offerings combined with MT, TC, eCVT though there is only one engine fuel type. They have the opportunity to make a serious dent in this segment.

But seeing how Honda has positioned their hybrid as a super-premium in terms of price, I expect Toyota to lean on their brand value to also likely price the top strong hybrid variant higher than the competition.

Only hope they don't do skimp on the safety front in lower variants with only 2 airbags. I would expect the safety kit should be the same across variants. Anyway, waiting keenly for the unveil and how the launch unfolds. Cheers!
Old 8th June 2022, 21:44   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota's build up to the launch continues:
If this is not one of those 'just for representation image', then the paraphernalia behind the rear battery should be a sign that the hybrid will be the one getting the AWD.

Also, hoping against hope, but the rumours of the 6 speed manual. The K15 engine doesn't seem to have a 6 speed manual anywhere else. Could the 1.5l non hybrid be Toyota's 120+ bhp 1.5l 3 pot?
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 11:13   #239
sbm
BHPian

I have been watching RAV4 review videos lately to understand the working and performance of the Toyota hybrid system and eCVT transaxle. I noticed that the test mules that we've been seeing on the roads are strikingly similar to the international Toyota RAV4. There are some differences, like the design of the lower portion of the doors and the rear window glass, but overall there is a lot of similarity. I have attached a picture of the side profile of both cars. What do you guys think about it?
And by the way, here is a video that explains the workings of eCVT in full detail.
Attached Images

sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 11:43   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
I noticed that the test mules that we've been seeing on the roads are strikingly similar to the international Toyota RAV4.
More than the RAV4, it looks closer to Suzuki Vitara.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks