Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is India Dumping Place For Under Rated Cars? - R We Getting Riped Off With Crappy Cars
YES 81 60.90%
NO 52 39.10%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2004, 08:36   #16
BANNED

anyways ... i htink the duties r too much in india....why make a car only if few can afford it. mercs and beemers r not htat expensive else where....

forget these jut look at plain old qualis and accent..where the majot chunk is there. gm the largest car manufacturer in the world has just limited models compared to its stable...now ho asnwers that question??/
Old 20th April 2004, 08:38   #17
BANNED

hey getz is here..come and get(z) it....

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...how/625585.cms
Old 20th April 2004, 08:39   #18
BANNED

has india truly come of age???

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...how/625252.cms
Old 7th May 2004, 18:33   #19
gTr
BHPian

Waszzapnin!!!
Well,all the cars being launced in,and the 1z dat r launched are ripped off old freakin models.......Pure shitt here!!
I`ve seen Lancers way back in 1990 in Japan,and as of now it sold at approx. 2lac indian rupeez here.Its the Glxi version mind you,which is costin a damper 8lacs in india.......how god-damn shit........
As far as the Honda u guys have written bout.Well,come around to Japan n c urself.The 1z we have have been scrapped out since 1996.Also the new honda city was a complete disaster with just bout 1000 units sold here.......Talk bout publicity!!1
Well,this conversation can go on n on.....
Laterz!
Old 7th May 2004, 18:45   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
I`ve seen Lancers way back in 1990 in Japan,and as of now it sold at approx. 2lac indian rupeez here.Its the Glxi version mind you,which is costin a damper 8lacs in india.......how god-damn shit........
As far as the Honda u guys have written bout.Well,come around to Japan n c urself.The 1z we have have been scrapped out since 1996.Also the new honda city was a complete disaster with just bout 1000 units sold here.......Talk bout publicity!!1
Dude, firstly the Indian Lancer was launched internationally only in the mid-90's. I'd really like to know how you saw this car a full 5 years before in 1990. And a brand new Lancer for 2 lacs vs the Indian price of 8 lacs? I'll believe it if you can provide some links. Till then, common sense will prevail.

The New Honda City may have been a flop in Japan, but then its all about market relevance. Japan is a developed economy where spending patterns and infrastructure is at a totally different level. There was a recent year when Mercedes Benz sold 50,000 cars in Japan alone! If anything, compare the success of automobiles sold in Japan to the US. But dont start comparing the success of small cars in Japan to the US...remember its all about market relevance.

The New Honda City is a hit in Thailand I believe, and is doing fairly well in other developing asian economies such as Malaysia. As sales figures prove, it was just the mid-sizer that Indians were looking for.

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2004, 19:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (vishnugnair @ April 18 2004,03:37)]
vishnugnair,
ask this to yourself,

Is Bentley Arnage and Continental, Porsche 911 - Boxter and Cayenne, Mercedes C - E - S - SL - M - SLK and Maybach, BMW 3 - 5- 7 and X5, Honda accord 2.4 and 3.0 V6, Toyota Camry and Corolla, Hyundai Sonata - Terracan - accent - Elantra, Skoda Octavia - Superb, Etc. Outdated?

If you think your answer is yes! Then yeah we are a dumping ground. But which i know ur answer is not you see where india is headed? I just spoke to exclusive motors for a porsche and their future plans and he said Ferrari! yes thats right!!

And abt M800, Honestly we need that car even if its outdated or not we need it, think abt the country on the whole not just ur own desire to own cars, It serves the needs of all people here and does it well in style atleast for them. Do you know they have a new offer for 1699 per month and for that even a peon in my business is thinking of getting it! Could he buy any car if M800 did not exist??

You talk about cars being expensive here? Well let me put it this way our country needs money too, So putting up import duties etc. is the best way or else all we'd do is lose money which is why the country has higher duties on CBU and lower on CKD's as to encourage manufacturers to make cars here.
Did you know india happens to be the only place outside germany where S-KLASSE is made? not made i know but still!and about duties well my family has owned 3 luxury cars until now and we do not regret paying duties. it's when the country earns you end up with better infrastructure etc. So stop thinking about cars only think about your country and help it grow faster and better..and about your cost analysis on S class? lemme give you some calculation :

The car costs 62,000 EU. + we have close to 21,000 Eu worth of optional equipment as standard. which equals to 83,000 Euros. Which when multiplied by approx 55 = 45,65,000
That is the original cost of the car in germany. Now consider freight + handeling + our duty our list price is 61 Lac now is that too much for u?

Come on man... you need to check some books on economics.. And think abt our country ..

Next year Merc is planning AMG models too is that outdated?

And
Old 8th May 2004, 00:20   #22
BHPian

I always thought that India was a dumping ground for cars, but in rescent years all the big and sensible car companies are doing the best they can to get the best they have(for the indian mrkt)...

I think a lot of this is cuz of benz, honda, mitsubishi(though I dont think they have bought in the latest lancer yet, have they?)

But i think a lot is changing, new reforms are coming into place and soon India will not be what it was..It will be a bright star with all the latest equipment, cars etc...

the companies are seeing India's potential as a major mrkt even after such outrageous prices that we have to pay(I really dont think 102% duty is right), its just time before our country is buseling with the latest machines..

Also I am confused what is the current duty structure 102 + octroi or is it 120% I am pretty sure its 102, but Vishnu said its 120% whats the correct figure?

Thanks
Old 8th May 2004, 02:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

no way are we getting dumped with trash cars. infact we are getting some of the finest automobiles ever to grace this earth. which part of the bentley line up being offered in India do you think is under-rated? or for that matter, the Mercedes line up. we are still an infant independent democracy, when compared to other biggies out there who you seem to think are the ones with the over rated(?)cars. sure our duty structure is a little ridiculous, but give it time. our economy only yet starting to boom, and we will see better days.
what we do need is a little more safety regulations in B/C -Segment cars, which do see maximum sales in our country. majorly such as those of mandatory airbags. especially in a country where road accidents are one of the highest causes of deaths.
Old 8th May 2004, 04:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

it's 102 was recently changed!
Old 8th May 2004, 11:38   #25
gTr
BHPian

fsda
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 07 2004,17:15)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Dude, firstly the Indian Lancer was launched internationally only in the mid-90's. I'd really like to know how you saw this car a full 5 years before in 1990. And a brand new Lancer for 2 lacs vs the Indian price of 8 lacs? I'll believe it if you can provide some links. Till then, common sense will prevail.

The New Honda City may have been a flop in Japan, but then its all about market relevance. Japan is a developed economy where spending patterns and infrastructure is at a totally different level. There was a recent year when Mercedes Benz sold 50,000 cars in Japan alone! If anything, compare the success of automobiles sold in Japan to the US. But dont start comparing the success of small cars in Japan to the US...remember its all about market relevance. * *

The New Honda City is a hit in Thailand I believe, and is doing fairly well in other developing asian economies such as Malaysia. As sales figures prove, it was just the mid-sizer that Indians were looking for.

GTO
Hello Mr. GTO.......
Appreciated watevah u said.Not many Indians know wen the actual Lancer was launched.Well,it was 1973 if u dunt know........but even u were partially right as to the Lancers on our road was launched in 1995.And as far as Japan is concerned,ifu dunt know i can get u an evolution 4 for 10lacs.....excluding the import duty.....and a evo 8 for 14lacs.....so i think that leaves the Lancer just a piece of shit huh!!! Damn
For ur info......they r 22 new models of cars launched every month in Japan as compared to 22 in India.So Lancer is outdated in Japan........and as far as written material is concerned i`ve gotta scan it and post it which i will do shortly.Check out dis link for now......
Laterz!!!!

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/docs6....0Lancer

Old 8th May 2004, 11:58   #26
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The only cars in India u can call dumped are the Lancer, the Pajero 2.8, Quails. Production of these cars have stopped long ago, but they are produced in India only.
Old 8th May 2004, 13:36   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

And as far as Japan is concerned,ifu dunt know i can get u an evolution 4 for 10lacs.....excluding the import duty.....and a evo 8 for 14lacs.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ].Not many Indians know wen the actual Lancer was launched.Well,it was 1973 if u dunt know........but even u were partially right as to the Lancers on our road was launched in 1995.
SO the Lancer was originally launched in 1973...and the S Class was like 4 decades back. Whats the argument again? Neither Mitsubishi nor Mercedes are selling generations that are 40 years old. It dosent matter when the first generation of teh Lancer was launched, coz HM did launched the 1995 generation in 1998. Its not like the currently sold version was introduced in 1973 by Mitsubishi Japan.

Even the Honda Accord was launched in the whereabouts of 1976. So does that make the currently sold Accord an outdated model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]And as far as Japan is concerned,ifu dunt know i can get u an evolution 4 for 10lacs.....excluding the import duty.....and a evo 8 for 14lacs.....
Now I dont even understand whats the point behind bringing up an EVO 4 for 8 lacs! Go back to the topic header again, here is where you discuss NEW CARS not ones from the secondhand market. I honestly couldnt care less if you could get me an EVO4 for 8 lacs or 8 thousand...focus on the issue being discussed GTR, focus on the issue.

The EVO8 can probably be had in Japan for 14 lacs, and thats not hard to believe seeing that they do retail in the US for $33000 (14.85 lacs). But the Lancers, Honda Citys and Optras being priced at 8 - 9 lacs is because of the exhorbitantly high taxation structure...not because HM is pocketing 4 lacs per Lancer sold. Also due to the relatively limited size of the market, no car maker is enjoying economies of scale in the higher end of the market. Volumes exist only upto the C segment level. Hardly any of the luxury cars are even manufactured here. They are imported as SKD or CKD kits, thus pushing their costs to the upper level. The indigenisation levels are very very low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]they r 22 new models of cars launched every month in Japan as compared to 22 in India
Tell me something I dont know. Consider the size of the market before getting into how many models are launched per month/year.

GTO
Old 8th May 2004, 14:38   #28

See MUL.... look one by one at its models, 800 (we can spare this), Zen (Outdated worldwide, not sold anymore), WagonR (WagonR+ or wide are the models which were successfull, this was discontinued long time back), Alto (fairly New), Esteem (Is this not dumping?), Baleno (although old this is what suzuki has!!, but still it sells with better engine in US i guess)

Now Hyuandai, now you can't call it a dump as they bring out their latest models, but they are no better than the dump anyways!!.

And who needs forign companies to dump?.. we have our own HM dumping, Amby!!
Old 8th May 2004, 16:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Correct me but isnt the Zen still sold in Eu? And the Wagon R as some opel car?
And guys why are u comparing dumping with just a few cars that everyone knows about?
And SL500 I hate hyundai but it's one company to look out for over a period of years believe me man that company some day will be where Honda is! if not there then atleast close to it,

Abt the Amby, Well id really hate to see it go.... Seriously!

Vishnugnair,Gtr and SL500 you guys need to learn economics along with some common sense... I seriously think you guys talk stuff thats not even really relevant.

Compare the no. of cars that are outdated to the new ones and u'll know what is dumping and what is not!
And most cars which are dumped are needed now remember i said MOST and not all!

I think the needed cars are : Qualis,M800,Amby, Most maruti cars cause they cater to this group of customers who have their options shortlisted and all they have on the list is Maruti!!
The cars that shud not be here are : Pajero 2.8 which hardly sells, Lancer (but again this one sells), Esteem, Versa ( now i dunno if this car is dumped but shud go )

You know i have a holiday today so lemme give u the total number of current cars v/s old cars :

38 current cars ( I HAVE NOT INCLUDED VARIANTS ) This also includes a few which are under the super car mark worldwide like Maybach , Bentley , Porsche etc.
8 Old cars..

Now remember ive not included indian makers like TATA, Mahindra, etc. But i have included maruti assuming it represents suzuki.

Now tell me who is dumping what and where?? And btw in my 8 old cars i have contessa which im not sure is still made so if not then its just 7 cars out of which the AMBY, M800 and Qualis are needed for some people in india...

And refer to my earlier post for more ...
And if u need more just lemme know and ill name every car but just quit whining man our country is going were the concorde cudnt.... JAI HIND!
Old 8th May 2004, 18:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

well the high prices of the d seg cars are due to the shithole govt and there good for nothing tax which they claim to take to improve our roads which we all noe is rubbish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks