Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2022, 21:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Fuel pump failures in Hyundai-Kia vehicles with the turbo-petrol engines

Really disappointing to see so many new cars/engines failing within short span of ownership. The manufacture/extended warranty should cover these issues but they do result in a very poor experience.

I really hope the issues are occurring because of low quality fuel, and not due to some major engine shortcomings.

I strongly feel a NA petrol engine is a safer bet in today's world of overstressed (small) turbos and handicapped diesel engines with DPF related issues. Ofcourse the fun factor isn't that great with the NA engines, but they do compensate with superior reliability, great city driving and peace of mind.
Col Mehta is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 09:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's why - if I were to buy a Creta or Seltos - I'd pick the Diesel AT. More robust engine, more robust transmission, good FE even if I drive hard (turbo-petrol FE sinks with throttle input).
That was exactly my thinking too and that is why from the past decade we have purchased Diesels in our family and are extremely satisfied with the combination of fantastic and accessible power with great mileage and reliability.

But being from Delhi NCR the party is spoilt for us with the 10 year sword hanging over our heads, so much so that we are forced to sell our perfectly fine City (ran for 8.5 years and 65k Kms), even our Creta which was kinda new till the lockdown came and hasn't run much since is 5.5 years old now and will have to realistically get rid of it in 3 years, with shrinking income post covid, replacing these 2 cars has become a huge financial burden which is frustrating since we don't want to but are being forced to and there is no good reason for it, all these cars pass the pollution test with flying colours and are made to latest government and international specifications on pollution at the time, and not being able to buy another Diesel after selling these and buying an inferior turbo petrol instead (with way less mileage and dodgy reliability) is truly tragic.
Rocketscience is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 09:23   #18
BHPian

Disappointing to see India's no.2 manufacturer grappling with quality issues since 3 - 4 years. Wasn't the case before.[/quote]

The issues were prominent right from the 1st generation i10 and i20 days, which were severely affected with steering rack issues, pre-mature wear of clutch in Diesel Fluidic Vernas, paint chips in Cretas and i20s, AC cooling coil issues and several issues in Xcent, DCT issues in the Turbo Petrols, and not to forget, the safety issues.

Hope Hyundai wakes up.

Regards,
Vaishak Murugesan.
vaish9925 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 09:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Really surprising to see how the complexity of turbo petrols are causing so many issues from a large scale manufacturer like Hyundai

Perhaps, the only company who’s hardly on the news for negative publicity in terms of quality is Maruti-Suzuki, maybe? They have just one simple Petrol engine and are playing happily by plugging it across all their cars! Whilst, this move seems pretty lethargic to me, looks like they are focused on providing less complex, less troubled cars to their customers and yes, less on safety front too
gururajrv is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 09:45   #20
BHPian

Dear All,

Though my car 2015 Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L does not come into the Turbo petrol category.

I'm facing a fuel pump-related issue suddenly over the last 1 month.

The symptom Is a longer crank to start. For the solution purpose replaced battery too with a new one.

I checked the function of the fuel pump with the help of my FNG. It is perfect but the issue still persists.

Currently, The issue is car once takes a longer crank to start then it cranks fine but even after a considerable amount of running say 15-16 km if I try to crank after the gap of 1 hour or more it takes a longer crank.

Can't actually pinpoint the issue.
N4Nikunj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 09:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Dear All,

Though my car 2015 Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L does not come into the Turbo petrol category.

I'm facing a fuel pump-related issue suddenly over the last 1 month.

The symptom Is a longer crank to start. For the solution purpose replaced battery too with a new one.

I checked the function of the fuel pump with the help of my FNG. It is perfect but the issue still persists.

Currently, The issue is car once takes a longer crank to start then it cranks fine but even after a considerable amount of running say 15-16 km if I try to crank after the gap of 1 hour or more it takes a longer crank.

Can't actually pinpoint the issue.
Hi,

I am also facing the same issue with my 2015 Grand i10 Asta. The service centre had us change the battery on both the key fob and car but that has not fixed the issue. Do let me know if you find any solution for this.

Cheers
Aravind
aravindrn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 10:45   #22
BHPian

Most of these issues suddenly seem to have become widespread in Petrol engines. I strongly doubt if it has got something to do with the Ethanol blending.
I have a lot of questions regarding blended fuels.
Quote:
1. Anyone knows how the blending process is supposed to work during the actual blending and when at rest, especially regarding the homogenisation part?
2. Is there a chance that when huge quantities are stored and at rest, we could actually get more ethanol per litre of petrol because of the heterogeneity?
3. And of course blended petrol is more hygroscopic and so is there a chance for picking up Mositure during transfer points in humid areas, say, like a port where most of these transfers happen?
I am guessing that the end user does not have a measure RON per litre for each litre that is being filled.
careind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 12:03   #23
BHPian

I had faced similar issues in my 2014 Santro Xing (Sold in 2018), showed it to FNG and he said the issue was with the fuel pump motor, he got it changed and after that, I had never faced any issues. Also, the car was fitted with an aftermarket sequential CNG kit by Lovato. FNG pointed out that this is a common issue in CNG cars.
X-Saint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 13:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Direct injection turbo petrols are inherently extremely sensitive to fuel quality.
That's a valid point. But will the engine type make a big difference with the fuel pump? Its just an electric motor that pumps petrol afterall, should it really matter if its a TGDI at the other end or not? In fact the TGDIs tend to run at lower RPM for peak torque etc compared to NA engines sometimes. So I don't see a reason why the fuel pump would specifically suffer more stress in this engine type either.
(Sorry for going a bit off topic, but that point raised my curiosity as to whether there will be a significant difference in the fuel pump for a TGDI.)
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 14:05   #25
BHPian

Not to arrive at any conclusion or imply anything, but, it might help if owners do not wait till the reserve mark to fill up. At least not regularly. Components are built to cost these days, and it's often the fuel that keeps the fuel pump cool. I have seen many of my acquaintances waiting till the very end to start thinking about refilling. Similarly I have had people complaining of syncronizer rings giving up, but, more often than not, they use the gear lever to rest their hand when driving. I am just trying to say, to at least follow explicit instructions in the user manual and try to avoid these eventualities. Cases despite taking precautions are surely a design drawback.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 14:11   #26
BHPian

I'm really concerned after reading about the ordeal of these customers. Though these issues are covered under warranty mostly, but there's no compensation for lost time those plans which were put off because of a troublesome car.
On a lighter note : "Mujhe kya farak padhta hai mai toh old school NA Japanese car chalata hu"
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 14:24   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
That's a valid point. But will the engine type make a big difference with the fuel pump? Its just an electric motor that pumps petrol afterall, should it really matter if its a TGDI at the other end or not? In fact the TGDIs tend to run at lower RPM for peak torque etc compared to NA engines sometimes. So I don't see a reason why the fuel pump would specifically suffer more stress in this engine type either.
Ethanol decomposes to give off water. Essentially , you get a water + petrol mixture in your tank. This is what causes problems with the fuel pump. This effect is much more prominent at depot and fuel bunk level, where this ethanol-petol mixture remains stagnant for long periods of time.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 14:35   #28
BHPian

Hyundais & Kias,
When we have so many reported issues of DSGs in VAG group cars especially dq200 from years unsolved ,what was the reason behind using DCTs in turbo petrols. They could have used the same auto tranny which is a torque convertor which they use in diesels .Tata borrows auto transmission for harrier and safari from Hyundai.So if you have a stable product why to use DCT especially in weather like ours.If DCT trouble was not enough fuel pump failures started all together.God knows where this manufacturers want us to land.
Recently bought a NA 1.5 dragon petrol auto Ford Ecosport for city purpose.A simple and a reliable car , cheap to maintain also.

Last edited by LEOMAN : 15th June 2022 at 14:37.
LEOMAN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 14:37   #29
BHPian

First the Skoda fuel pump issues and now it's with Hyundai. Is there something seriously wrong with our fuel or that the fuel pump OEMs are not able to supply quality products to the manufacturers. Seeing all these failures makes me wonder if the quality control have taken a big hit in recent times? Or the cars are getting too complex these days.
sachin_cs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 15:51   #30
BHPian

My 2 cents on recent reliability issues in new Skoda/Korean Twins - either these cars arent tested enough in Indian conditions, or the companies just can't handle such complexity at this price point. And the reason for first factor could be the hurry to launch and mark the presence in respective segment.

Forget about the insane price hikes in last 2 years, essentially all these cars are budget/budget-premium grade, but the tantrums are from 2 or 3 segments above. Just a few years back fuel pump failure / transmission issues was almost unheard of in sub 20L segment.

I have decided to stay away from the " fuzzy tech" models, and replace my ageing XUV500 by a Fortuner Legender, and the need of second car (originally a hatchback) will be fulfilled by a Thar. Happy to live without some "not so important" features, because flatbed/tow truck is the worst nightmare for me as a petrolhead!
Zinda is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks