Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 00:04   #46
BHPian

Re: Fuel pump failures in Hyundai-Kia vehicles with the turbo-petrol engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
Fuel grade and quality could be the culprit. For all turbo petrol engines 95 octane petrol is recommended. The standard petrol available in bunks is 91 octane. Only some Indian Oil bunks have it.
Turbo charging has nothing to do with fuel pump. At a higher level, all turbo does is to allow burning of more fuel in a smaller volume of cylinder.

It should not be confused with gasoline direct injection which may or may not be with turbocharging (at least theoretically).

It is not clear which fuel pumps are failing? Is it the LPFP (low pressure fuel pump) which all cars have from fuel tank to fuel line?

Or is it the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) which is only in cars with direct injection (Fuel line to HPFP)?

To me it seems like it is LPFP.

The HPFP receives fuel from LPFP which already filters the fuel from tank. And HPFP only pressurizes it before direct injection.

Turbo/direct injection are not affected/affect by LPFP which seem to be failing here mostly so not sure why DI/turbo is being blamed.

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 23rd June 2022 at 00:05.
OffRoadFun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 17:14   #47

My friend’s i20 N Line has also failed. It stalled at red light in Delhi NCR and did not move and had to be pushed to the side. Could be a fuel pump failure or some other issue, yet to receive root cause from service center. Honestly, this whole saga is scary. Name:  DE7EFCB35C014B48B1E0507571AF99D3.jpeg
Views: 2156
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  252FB84C33EC4128B85F55E0E6147EFC.jpeg
Views: 2149
Size:  59.8 KB
iNLine is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 14:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Dear All,

Though my car 2015 Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L does not come into the Turbo petrol category.
I can't actually pinpoint the issue.

Update on the long cranking issue:-

Sent the car to the service center on 4th July. The diagnosis took half-day and it was final by noon that the issue is with the fuel pump.

They changed the fuel pump and all is good thereafter.

The cost of the same was 7200/- including diagnosis and fitting.

When the car was getting diagnosed they also found out that the push button start switch is not taking command in one go.

It takes 2-3 presses to work. The solution is to replace the switch and the cost for the same is 9200/-

Last edited by N4Nikunj : 6th July 2022 at 14:40.
Old 26th April 2023, 10:16   #49
BHPian

Just saw some oil stains over the engine cover of my Nios i10 turbo. Isn't the fuel pump and ignition coils below that smaller cover ?
Car has done 3000kms and I'm facing no issues while running, so will get it checked on the weekends.Fuel pump failures in Hyundai-Kia vehicles with the turbo-petrol engines-img_20230425_175453.jpg
Old 26th April 2023, 10:46   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrahas View Post
Just saw some oil stains over the engine cover of my Nios i10 turbo. Isn't the fuel pump and ignition coils below that smaller cover ?
Car has done 3000kms and I'm facing no issues while running, so will get it checked on the weekends.[]
I don’t see any oil, but it does look as if somebody painted a swastika on your engine cover?

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 13:51   #51
BHPian

Just found this and I am kicking myself on why I didn't read this before.

Long story short, my brand new 7k kms driven i20 N line broke down (temporarily), a week after its second servicing. It stopped working in the middle of the road and wouldn't restart. I had just detailed my experience on my ownership review thread (Hyundai i20 N Line | Ownership Review | 2 months & 1246 km) when another kind BHPian told me about the fuel pump issue.

Today I had gone to the service center and they told me that I had filled up fuel from a "bad" source. They even showed me dirt in some fuel which apparently they pulled from my car.

According to them, they changed the fuel pump "just to be safe".

Now I know it's a manufacturing defect and they were just making a fool out of me all this time, trying to fire the gun from my shoulder.

I am going to escalate this to Hyundai directly and file a top-management complaint. You have to be honest with a customer!!!
akshaysehgal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 16:16   #52
BHPian

For everyone’s reference. Here is the bill for fuel pump replacement. Hyundai did this free of cost for me after my car breakdown, but, it might be a good idea for new owners to approach their service centres to get their fuel pumps checked and replaced at own cost?

Fuel pump failures in Hyundai-Kia vehicles with the turbo-petrol engines-7173183039f0494dbd0d7e9a6e97e163.jpeg

It should cost something like 3-3.5k for this, but ideally Hyundai should do it for free for any customer concerned about their safety with this car in light of this manufacturing defect.
akshaysehgal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 15:21   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Really disappointing to see so many new cars/engines failing within short span of ownership. The manufacture/extended warranty should cover these issues but they do result in a very poor experience.

I really hope the issues are occurring because of low quality fuel, and not due to some major engine shortcomings.

I strongly feel a NA petrol engine is a safer bet in today's world of overstressed (small) turbos and handicapped diesel engines with DPF related issues. Ofcourse the fun factor isn't that great with the NA engines, but they do compensate with superior reliability, great city driving and peace of mind.
I'm struggling to find the right words, but my trust in NA engines being dependable has been shaken. Here’s why -

Our 1.5 NA IVT unexpectedly experienced a breakdown while we were on the road. It began with significant juddering, ultimately leading to the car stalling. Fortunately, the traffic was heavy, and we were moving at a speed of no more than 10kmph, preventing any accidents. However, if this had happened at a higher speed, the outcome could have been much more dangerous. This situation raises serious safety concerns!

We tried cranking it couple of times, but to no avail. Called RSA via Bluelink and it connected us with a representative almost immediately. A technician was allotted to inspect the car who reached at the spot within 30 min. After inspection, he declared fuel pump failure, exactly what we were dreading!! The car was towed to a HASS and now awaiting fuel pump to be replaced which will take a few days time.

Witnessing our car being towed away in this manner was truly disheartening. With over four decades of driving experience, including some highly unreliable vehicles, this is a situation I've never encountered before. I'm deeply disappointed, but uncertain about where to place the blame – whether it's the ethanol-blended fuel, the product quality of Hyundai, or a combination of both. Even the manager at the HASS couldn't provide an explanation for why this occurred.

I'm beginning to think that fuel pump failures may not be strongly tied to the engine type, as we've seen both NA and turbo engines experience these issues. The uncertainty surrounding ethanol blending, whether it's E10 or E20, is also concerning. It's frustrating for us car owners to endure the consequences of unclear policies and their inconsistent implementation, alongside the declining quality of modern vehicles. One would expect that with advancing technology, cars should become more reliable, but the reality seems to be quite the opposite. While advanced technology can bring complexity, being stranded on the road is unacceptable. Perhaps it's a result of cost-cutting and the choice of cheaper components for manufacturing. Whatever the cause, it's a deeply unsatisfactory consumer experience, leading to a loss of confidence in both modern cars and blended fuel technology.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel pump failures in Hyundai-Kia vehicles with the turbo-petrol engines-img_2127.jpeg  

Col Mehta is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 15:42   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm beginning to think that fuel pump failures may not be strongly tied to the engine type, as we've seen both NA and turbo engines experience these issues. The uncertainty surrounding ethanol blending, whether it's E10 or E20, is also concerning. It's frustrating for us car owners to endure the consequences of unclear policies and their inconsistent implementation, alongside the declining quality of modern vehicles. One would expect that with advancing technology, cars should become more reliable, but the reality seems to be quite the opposite. While advanced technology can bring complexity, being stranded on the road is unacceptable. Perhaps it's a result of cost-cutting and the choice of cheaper components for manufacturing. Whatever the cause, it's a deeply unsatisfactory consumer experience, leading to a loss of confidence in both modern cars and blended fuel technology.
The change in the fuel specs is the root cause of all this. These cars are designed for no more than 10% ethanol, and anything more kills the fuel pump. Technology has nothing to do with this. This affects every car, irrespecitve of make or engine size or the car giving a turbo or direct injection or being naturally aspirated.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 10:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The change in the fuel specs is the root cause of all this. These cars are designed for no more than 10% ethanol, and anything more kills the fuel pump. Technology has nothing to do with this. This affects every car, irrespecitve of make or engine size or the car giving a turbo or direct injection or being naturally aspirated.
This would require all E10 petrol compliant cars to be retrofitted with E20 compliant fuel pumps in coming time?

Since petrol is already E12 and E20 by 01 April 2025. Else you will keep facing breakdowns?
Old 7th September 2023, 10:52   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
This would require all E10 petrol compliant cars to be retrofitted with E20 compliant fuel pumps in coming time?

Since petrol is already E12 and E20 by 01 April 2025. Else you will keep facing breakdowns?
It’s not just the fuel pump, other components are also affected. Fuel pump is usually the first thing that fails. Yes, expect to keep facing breakdowns with older cars. It’s a nightmare scenario, and not a word is being said about it.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 16:19   #57
BHPian

My take on this is isn't Hyundai taking this too casually? I mean why are they even waiting for issues to happen before replacing the fuel pumps? This clearly indicates a design issue. I am sure Hyundai is aware of the changing fuel specifications, so shouldn't they design their cars accordingly.

And why aren't any other cars like VW/Skoda etc who have TGDI engines facing any issue.
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 18:02   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Our 1.5 NA IVT unexpectedly experienced a breakdown while we were on the road. It began with significant juddering, ultimately leading to the car stalling.
Alright, so a fortnight after replacing the fuel pump, our car experienced another breakdown. We are completely shocked by this development! The HASS has confirmed that it's the fuel pump failure again, and this time it happened within just two weeks. HASS appears to be clueless by this situation and is currently awaiting the arrival of the replacement part, which might take a few more days.

We're considering escalating this issue to Hyundai's attention so that they can investigate with their vendor. It's worth noting that we've consistently refueled at reputable fuel stations and never encountered any problems with them in our previous or current vehicles.

I want to believe that it's happening due to the mindless ethanol blending, but two consecutive failures have significantly shaken our confidence in Hyundai's reliability. Experts, please pitch in. Thanks!

Last edited by Col Mehta : 25th September 2023 at 18:04.
Col Mehta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 18:24   #59
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I want to believe that it's happening due to the mindless ethanol blending, but two consecutive failures have significantly shaken our confidence in Hyundai's reliability. Experts, please pitch in. Thanks!
I really can't believe that the fuel pump failed again, that too in no time, there is certainly something wrong, either with the car, components, or the fuel.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 19:57   #60
BHPian

Folks who experienced the fuel pump failures - do you use higher RON petrol or did it happen with just normal petrol? Petrol with higher RON has a significantly higher Ethanol content, going up to 20%.
Normal petrol should have less than 10% Ethanol in most cases so not sure why the Hyundai-Kia fuel pumps are failing at a high rate.
Also, aren't the Hyundais manufactured 2023 onwards supposed to be E20 compatible?

This definitely seems like a monster that will bite people come 2025 as fuels move towards E20. Very surprised why an otherwise proactive company like Hyundai isn't inspecting this and doing recalls where necessary. Maybe they will recall en masse in 2025
SutilSapien is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks