Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 19:19   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Resembles Zen Estilo!
Old 4th July 2007, 22:02   #152
Senior - BHPian

Some more info,Mico bosch has been handed over both the petrol as well as the diesel management system for the one lakh car apart from some other things,so there will be also a diesel variant of the one lakh car.
Old 7th August 2007, 15:17   #153
rkg
Senior - BHPian

the 660cc petrol unit Bosch has designed a special fuel injection system called “value motronic” - the cost of the system is roughly half of a full scale system and it is said to be more efficient. For the 700cc diesel will be a CRDi unit( it’s DICOR for Tata) too Bosch has developed a special injection system for this world’s first twin cylinder CRDi engine.

Tata's one lakh car - part 1 at Straight Frm The Heart
Old 7th August 2007, 15:51   #154
Senior - BHPian

Damn, is there any way, I could put that on a bike? Indian bike mfrs seem particularly inept at even big single cylinders!!
Old 7th August 2007, 16:24   #155
Senior - BHPian

the car definately looks good. lets see if its worth the money. hope its not a shoddy job done to cut costs
Old 8th August 2007, 12:21   #156
BHPian

All this excitement about the Tata Small Car is fine. But have we forgotten to ask one pertinent question? Where is it all leading to? Ratan Tata (and Ambani and Mittal) need to be congratulated for bringing in a cell phone revolution in the country. It is difficult to find a person without a mobile phone and a good deal of the credit must go to these gentlemen. It has brought in a communication revolution in the country, with perceptible economic gains. Can we say the same thing about the "people's car"? Cars are not mobile phones. They need fuel and road to run - both in short supply here. And what about the environmental implications (CO2 emission included) of the mass release of an utterly affordable car? Imagine every average Indian who can manage a loan of 1 lakh buying a car...each member of a family can have a car or two. It is good to have cheap means of transport for everyone. But cheap cars are not the solution; efficient and affordable public transport is. I hope govt. people like Tata wake up to the real threat and do things that are sustainable for the people and the country.
Old 8th August 2007, 13:37   #157
Senior - BHPian

vayalam if the fuel prices keep riseing, dont think there would be any efficient and affordable public transport. forget the public transport even the one lac car would not be of much help. you would end up paying more in fuel prices
Old 8th August 2007, 13:51   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any guesses on what Tata will name the one lac car?
I think I read somewhere that the name of the car will be Tata Indiva....or am I mistaken ??
Old 8th August 2007, 13:54   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayalam View Post
All this excitement about the Tata Small Car is fine. But have we forgotten to ask one pertinent question? Where is it all leading to?
Well, if you mean we have forgotten to ask this question to Mr Tata then no we have not but just that we have no access to him. And if you mean whether we asked ourselves this (rhetorical) question then the answer is we did. A 100 or 1000 times probably and discussed the point threadbare. On this forum as well as elsewhere.

The thing is you can not stop progress (in life, in society) just because of infrastructural issues. That part is government's lookout and they need to improve that. What with the CBDT collecting millions every year in taxes and rising. They better start utilizing all that money we spend on providing us some basic infrastructures like roads.

Now tell me... Do you own a car? Or maybe a bike? Will you be willing to trade it off and start moving around in a bus? or better still in a bicycle (nothing like going green)? If not then you also do not have the rights to deny someone a similar facility just because it comes cheap and hence many will be able to afford the same. How would you have liked it if the ultra rich were to take the same line and started influencing the government to take all the cars costing less than a crore off the roads, so that they can have the roads to themselves?

See the point? Solution is not in stopping companies from manufacturing cheaper modes of transport (if anything they should be lauded for their efforts). The solution lies in bringing in pressure on the local politicos to get better infrastructure in their respective areas of influence.

Last edited by Zappo : 8th August 2007 at 13:56.
Old 8th August 2007, 14:37   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
I think I read somewhere that the name of the car will be Tata Indiva....or am I mistaken ??

Samirsarkar the rumored name for the one lac car is "JEH" like in JRD Tata's name as called by those who were close to him in his lifetime

@Zappo

Well said I whole heartedly agree with you.

Also noted in history there are very many well known small cars that have bought about a change in their countries histories in their own small way

Case Point

VW Bug--- Germany after WW II, Was a reliable cheap transportation for a country ravaged after war.

Citroen 2CV-- The design basis for the car was to carry a farmer's family in comfort along with a bag of Potatoes and and go across a ploughed feild without breaking Eggs

Fiat Ciquecento - The Fiat 500

We also have to consider that much of our population resides in the Villages who would be happy to have a cheap and cheerful transportation to carry them in relative safety

Last edited by sreedotk : 8th August 2007 at 14:43.
Old 8th August 2007, 15:15   #161
BHPian

I think I did not put across my point clearly enough or the reader didn't catch it the way I wanted. No one here is against progress. But I am not sure if progress means more cars on the road. Real progress is to be measured (if it can be measured) in terms of human development and not development in terms of the number of people who own cars or the number of Ferraris you can count on your way back home. I am sorry I was not aware of the discussion threads available here on this topic (BTW, the fact again reinforces my high opinion about T-BHP). I do not own a car but soon will. But trust me, I'll be the first to park it in the garage and take a public transport (PT) if it is available to me with reasonable comfort and punctuality. I remember the days I spent in Munich (which incidentally has one of the best PT systems in Europe; I do not know about the US). If that kind of PT were available, who needs cars (except for weekend getaway to the hills or countryside)? In fact, in the busiest parts of the city, cars are not allowed!
My emphasis is not on lack of infrastructure. It has en effect that is self-limiting. If there are no roads, you can't drive your car; as simple as that. But what about the other problem that Zappo did not touch? It is my (and millions of similar concerned people) belief that the planet has reached a state where it can hardly take CO2 emission from a cheap and mass-produced car in a country as populated as India. By the same token, I have no qualms if Tata comes up with a cheap car that runs on hydrogen! But unfortunately, that's not the easy route to quick money.
Old 8th August 2007, 15:31   #162
Senior - BHPian

Yea I too heard it will be Indiva the TATA's 1 lac car. I am looking forward to own 2 cars (1 lac car and Safari) from TATA next year!

Ravi.
Old 8th August 2007, 15:39   #163

well said zappo... completly agree with u.
Old 8th August 2007, 15:49   #164
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Also noted in history there are very many well known small cars that have bought about a change in their countries histories in their own small way

Case Point

VW Bug--- Germany after WW II, Was a reliable cheap transportation for a country ravaged after war.

Citroen 2CV-- The design basis for the car was to carry a farmer's family in comfort along with a bag of Potatoes and and go across a ploughed feild without breaking Eggs

Fiat Cinquecento - The Fiat 500

We also have to consider that much of our population resides in the Villages who would be happy to have a cheap and cheerful transportation to carry them in relative safety
Can't agree with you more.

The automobile gave people the freedom to live, work, and travel wherever they wanted.

It ended the secluded lives of farmers and their families by moving them closer to neighbors, cities, and towns.

Suburbs grew and with them came motels, malls, expressways, Esselworlds, drive-in McDonalds, and drive-through banks.

After Italy was devastated in World War Two, Fiat's dimunitive Cinquecento was cheap to buy, cheap to run, and hordes of Italian families piled in to go see relatives, have picnics, and to go to the beach. Italian cities swarmed with them, like hives with bees.

The ubiquitous personal medium to travel to and from work, to run errands, to visit friends, and to take vacations.

After revolutionizing the American way of life, the automobile changed living patterns in very similar ways when it spread to other countries.

The automotive industry generates and supports a wide range of businesses -- dealerships, garages, petrol pumps -- and stimulates economic growth. Growth in car ownership leads to the building of more and better roads, which further increases travel and accelerates the nation's economic growth and prosperity.
Old 8th August 2007, 16:08   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But I am not sure if progress means more cars on the road. Real progress is to be measured (if it can be measured) in terms of human development and not development in terms of the number of people who own cars or the number of Ferraris you can count on your way back home.
No it does not. It is like missing the wood for the trees. However no one ever said that the progress means more cars on the road. But progress means better lifestyle, better facilities and amenities of life and all round development. That translates to better infrastructure and more Purchasing Power as well amongst others. A better PP automatically will mean more cars on the roads as well (and more white and brown goods, more owned-homes vis-a-vis rented places etc). If you try to argue that point ultimately you are asking for a stop to progress. More personal cars on the roads are a sureshot signs of a nation doing well and progressing. You do not see a traffic jam in the arid deserts of sub-sharan africa afterall. Of course they are not progressing and they lack the most basic of infrastructure as well.

Quote:
I am sorry I was not aware of the discussion threads available here on this topic (BTW, the fact again reinforces my high opinion about T-BHP).
Oh we love to debate.

Quote:
I do not own a car but soon will. But trust me, I'll be the first to park it in the garage and take a public transport (PT) if it is available to me with reasonable comfort and punctuality.
Thats the problem. When it comes to our ownselves we attach so many riders to things. I am not saying you are wrong in saying that but then apply the same yardsticks for everyone else as well. In your case you will take a public transport when it is available to you with reasonable comfort and punctuality. Till then you can't/won't as circumstances force you. The same is how it is for all those others who will buy a 1 lakh rupee car. Today they do not own a car because they can't afford one. They probably own a bike... they suffer the elements, the winds, the rains, the blazing sun but still commute on a bike. They would like to upgrade to a car if it comes within their means. The reason for them will definitely be the same as yours. In fact everyone if given an opportunity, where they get the same comfort and reliability as their personal transport, would opt for a public transport instead. But then that is a big IF. Till then it has to be personal transport, for you, for me and for those who will buy this car. So then how can you selectively deny that right to them?

Quote:
It is my (and millions of similar concerned people) belief that the planet has reached a state where it can hardly take CO2 emission from a cheap and mass-produced car in a country as populated as India.
Now that sounds hypocritical. Your concern, if true, is justified. But it is also misplaced my dear friend. Its not cheap and mass-produced cars that pollute. But its any car that burns fossil fuel or any other device for that matter using such fuels that pollute. And that will include any car that you may buy soon. Period.

Quote:
By the same token, I have no qualms if Tata comes up with a cheap car that runs on hydrogen! But unfortunately, that's not the easy route to quick money.
Sure. And they are working on that. Its easy to blame Tatas whereas the fact is they are more in touch with the realities when others are probably far off the ground realities. A viable hydrogen powered automobile is still some way off as there are technological limitations. Thats why various alternatives are being looked into. That includes hybrids, electric, sun and even plants as sources of future energy. Just in case you are not aware Tata is also working on a future gen of engines that will use AIR as the fuel. Something like the ramjet engines.

Most Viewed