Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2022, 10:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview

1) Milky Bar theme all around interiors looks like design team member in charge for color picking was a Milky bar fan! Too much white!

2) oh, that Alloy!! An eye-sore to me!

3) it’s nice to see Mahindra keeping the original car alive. I wish Tata did the same with Safari.
gururajrv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 10:17   #17
BHPian

Mahindra certainly knows how to build and milk a brand like Scorpio.
On the other hand, it's a shame what Tata is doing to Safari.
Old 14th August 2022, 10:43   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Mahindra certainly knows how to build and milk a brand like Scorpio.
On the other hand, it's a shame what Tata is doing to Safari.
Looking at the sales numbers , old Safari was very popular among those who could not afford it and so very few actually bought it. Sales numbers were very poor , even the launch of storme did not help, it too had poor sales. The new Harrier plus / Safari is actually doing the brand name a favour by moving it forward , brand Safari never had this good sales earlier but yes it is not a Safari in the end.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 14:52   #19
BHPian

I wonder why Mahindra has not provided ESP ever with the Scorpio. XUV500 got it after a point but Scorpio, now Scorpio classic still lacks it. They could have atleast provided it in S11 variant with this refresh.
Old 14th August 2022, 15:11   #20
BHPian

Any idea on the crash worthiness of the classic? I would always loved this car. But after seeing the crash test, decided never to buy this. But since new Mahindra products are well built, is are there any upgrades to the body structure where it can withstand the impacts better?
Knighted06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 17:52   #21
BHPian

My favorite SUV is still enticing after almost 20 years! Especially the new dark grey finish in the photos surely caught my attention. The interiors are nice as well. Would love to check that work they have done with the ride quality. Now, let us see what M&M has done with the pricing and that S11 version naming does not give me any good vibe when it comes to the pricing! It was the top end in the pre classic era.

I would have preferred a barebone (without music system, speakers, cruise control etc.) around 12 lakhs. This would kill whatever left by the big brother(?) Scorpio N.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 18:10   #22

Any guess on the pricing for this one? Mine is, the base S model should cost something like ₹9,99,999/-(ex-showroom) since it literally has nothing. While the S11 should cost maybe ₹13-14lakh (ex-showroom)
Old 14th August 2022, 19:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighted06 View Post
Any idea on the crash worthiness of the classic? I would always loved this car. But after seeing the crash test, decided never to buy this. But since new Mahindra products are well built, is are there any upgrades to the body structure where it can withstand the impacts better?
Same here. It would be great if we could get some updated information on the crash worthiness of this facelift.

However, looking at how not a single reviewer I have seen till now has mentioned this aspect in their review, my guess is that this Scorpio still carries the tag of being an unstable structure.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 19:32   #24

if the body roll is well contained. It's gonna be a superb SUV
Old 14th August 2022, 20:24   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Same here. It would be great if we could get some updated information on the crash worthiness of this facelift.

However, looking at how not a single reviewer I have seen till now has mentioned this aspect in their review, my guess is that this Scorpio still carries the tag of being an unstable structure.
Should be the same as earlier since all changes are purely cosmetic - color, cladding, alloys, lights, bumper, seats, ICE etc. I doubt the Classic is any safer than the previous versions.

If anybody asks, I am sure Mahindra will be like, If you need a safer Scorpio, check out the Scorpio N!
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 23:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on the crash worthiness of the classic? I would always loved this car. But after seeing the crash test, decided never to buy this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
It would be great if we could get some updated information on the crash worthiness of this facelift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL40kkaran View Post
if the body roll is well contained. It's gonna be a superb SUV
Gentlemen, for all you guys there is Scorpio N.

Like said above, all the changes are mere cosmetics, I don't thing Mahindra touched any nut or bolt w.r.t its safety or stability. While there is no real need for them to do it.
balenoed_ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 00:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Those DRLs inside the headlamp housing look so much better and more premium than the Scorpio-N's DRLs. Feeling shortchanged on my Z8L booking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Can't believe they stuck in a generic android infotainment system. Pretty sure these won't even have CarPlay/AA to save licensing costs.

Props to Mahindra for at least taking time to hire devs and build a car specific android app to run on this.
I doubt the target audience even knows what carplay/android auto is much less care about using it.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 06:45   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Can't believe they stuck in a generic android infotainment system. Pretty sure these won't even have CarPlay/AA to save licensing costs.

Props to Mahindra for at least taking time to hire devs and build a car specific android app to run on this...
Oh no! Not another nit-picker and hair splitter - I'm obliged to M&M for offering this. A timeless design (as someone said) and the only one in its segment to offer body-on-chassis and with the 4WD option. Price-wise segment I mean. A no-nonsense, abuse-friendly, rugged and durable product. I only wish M&M came up with a respectable GNCAP rating - to score in the urban jungle too.

Last edited by shashanka : 15th August 2022 at 06:46.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 11:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but this Scorpio Classic refresh looks so much better than the Scorpio-N.
The legacy butch design, still holds its own. and the new upgrades are subtle and add to the character of this vehicle.
The best part no marketing or branding with that cringe worthy - "big daddy" nomenclature -
The 2.2 M Hawk is a killer engine and having used it previously in my old Scorpio 2009 Model and the 2.6L variant in my Thar Crde 2015 models, i can totally vouch for it.

I so wish Mahindra would have plonked a 4 wheel drive in this classic too. it would be such a good proposition. Having said that i am still looking forward to the price announcement.

My new vehicle purchase decision that i have deferred to mid September 2022, just got even more interesting.

Well played Mahindra !.
You just read my mind. I was wondering if I'm the only one who felt this way. Agree 100% with all your views. I've used the 2.2 mHawk too in my XUV500, & can totally vouch for it. For the first time, I've taken a liking to the Scorpio, albeit in its Classic avatar.
sanjayrozario is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 12:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Mahindra has done a master-stroke here;

Scorpio Classic - For the rural market, where features are given lesser preference compared to ruggedness, hauling capabilities, mafia looks and easy repairability.

Scorpio N - Just the opposite of the Scorpio Classic, being made more for the urban dwellers by being modern in its approach…

So essentially maintaining the Scorpio brand for both rural and urban markets and what is better than cannibalisation within the brand rather than someone else doing it!!
And then where do XUV700 and the other planned XUV variants fit?
Hard to figure out the segmentation startegy here. Its more like Maruti, which plonks a dozen different cars into the B segment in the hope of appealing to the widest spectrum of tastes within similar budgets.

And of course, stretching the segment itself both upwards and downwards by doing so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks