Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 15:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview

Mahindra has launched the new Scorpio-N, but the company will continue to sell the older Scorpio with a few feature additions to institutional buyers, security forces and rural markets. There are two main reasons for the same. The first is to fill the void in the price range created by the Scorpio-N and the second is the fact that the 'Scorpio' name has a large fan following with its rugged nature and no-nonsense utilitarian design. While the urban millennial might not consider the older Scorpio, there is definitely a market for a body-on-frame, rear-wheel drive SUV that is priced right.

The Scorpio Classic will be offered in 2 trims: S and S11. In terms of features, the higher variant gets a 9-inch infotainment system with reverse camera, automatic climate control, projector headlights with LED DRL, newly designed fabric upholstery, new 17-inch alloy wheels and others. The SUV will come in either a 7 or 9-seater configuration. The 7-seater version further gets a choice of either captain seats in the middle row and a forward-facing bench seat in the 3rd row or middle row bench seats with jump seats in the 3rd row. The 9-seater gets a 2+3+4 configuration with a middle-row bench seat and 3rd-row jump seats.

In terms of powertrain, the Scorpio Classic is powered by a 2.2-litre mHawk engine that is compliant with BS6 emission norms. It develops 130 BHP and 300 Nm and sends power to the rear wheels via a 6-speed gearbox.

The car is unmistakably a Scorpio, albeit with a few visual changes to keep it up to date:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-01.jpg

The front gets the twin peak Mahindra logo, a redesigned grille and a revised front bumper:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-02.jpg

DRL lights sit above the fog lamps and the bumper gets a silver skid plate:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-03.jpg

Another look at the front grille:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-04.jpg

6-element DRL strip looks aftermarket:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-05.jpg

Side profile remains the same save for slightly revised cladding:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-06.jpg

17-inch diamond-cut dual-tone alloy wheels shod in 235/65-section rubber:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-15.jpg

A close look at the Scorpio badging and the cladding:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-07.jpg

Tower LED tail lamps are back on the Scorpio Classic:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-08.jpg

This is how they look lit up:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-10.jpg

Rear portion remains the same except for ...
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-09.jpg

...the new logo and the rear camera...
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-11.jpg

... and the Scorpio Classic badging:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-12.jpg

The LHS lid houses the diesel filler:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-13.jpg

But the one on the right is for AdBlue:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-14.jpg

Cabin gets a refresh with a black and beige theme:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-16.jpg

The S11 gets these nice fabric seats with individual armrests:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-17.jpg

Steering is chunky to hold and gets audio and cruise control buttons:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-17a.jpg

Scorpio badging below the passenger air vent:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-17b.jpg

The armrests are adjusted to a comfortable position despite the recline of the backrest:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-18.jpg

A close look at the upholstery:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-19.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-21.jpg

Captain seats too get the individual armrests:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-22.jpg

The 3rd-row front-facing seat :
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-23.jpg

This is how the middle row bench seat looks like:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-24.jpg

7-seater version with jump seats in the back. Suitable for your security:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-25.jpg

Looks very uninviting esp., with the low seating position:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-26.jpg

Beige door pads with black inserts:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-27.jpg

Power window controls on the driver's door. The Classic S gets them beside the gear lever:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-28.jpg

Instrument cluster with MID in the middle:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-29.jpg
blackwasp is online now   (50) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 15:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

The fuel filler can be opened up from here:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-30.jpg

But the DEF filler lid can be opened up using this pull-string in the boot. A similar one is there on the left side for the fuel nozzle as well (emergency opening):
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-40.jpg

9-inch infotainment system with phone mirroring:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-31.jpg

The trusty mHawk engine:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-32.jpg

Notice that the bonnet scoop is purely aesthetic and doesn't open up into the engine bay:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-33.jpg

Gear lever area with a small cubby to park your phone:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-34.jpg

The Mahindra Scorpio Classic will be offered in 5 colours - Pearl white, Napoli Black, Red Rage, D'Sat Silver and Galaxy Grey. Here is the Red Rage...
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-35.jpg

... and the Napoli Black:
Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-36.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 12th August 2022 at 15:31.
blackwasp is online now   (67) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 15:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 16:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

While the interiors are looking really nice, i think the whites are absolute pain to maintain. It's a sea of white everywhere and it's going to look jaded in a couple of years without proper maintenance. Also, the placement of that touchscreen is really low - will take the drivers eyes away from the road. Good to see it still has physical buttons. The option to choose the last seats either as a bench or side facing seats is really good. Not sure if it comes on both variants. The middle row lacks a headrest for the middle passenger tho.

But enough nitpicking! Am sure this will continue to sell in good numbers for its simple, tough, go anywhere capability. To me, this is also one of the best looking SUVs, a timeless design. Great move by Mahindra to offer it with spruced up interiors.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 16:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Overall an upgrade from Bolero or Old Scorpio however there is an economy grade part that is in a place it should not be.

Bridgestone Ecopia HL 422 plus - is what I see on the wheels, I have not seen these tyres before. Perhaps there to meet ARAI fuel efficiency figures.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 16:32   #6
BHPian

While Scorpio N is two or rather three level up from the outgoing Scorpio.

On the other hand Scorpio classic retains the highly unsafe side facing 3rd row seats without seat belts strange indeed.
XRoader_001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio Classic features detailed in official video

Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra has done a master-stroke here;

Scorpio Classic - For the rural market, where features are given lesser preference compared to ruggedness, hauling capabilities, mafia looks and easy repairability.

Scorpio N - Just the opposite of the Scorpio Classic, being made more for the urban dwellers by being modern in its approach…

So essentially maintaining the Scorpio brand for both rural and urban markets and what is better than cannibalisation within the brand rather than someone else doing it!!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 20:36   #9

The change in interiors makes this much more appealing than before. I believe that the interiors are in Beige color; it probably comes across as white due to the lighting. The choice offered to the customer in terms of the seating configuration is also a plus. Looking forward to a complete review of the Scorpio Classic, I personally don't like a lot of Digital stuff.. digital tachometers, auto sensing wiper, auto sensing this, auto sensing that etc. What this Scorpio offers appeals to someone like me and I'm quite looking forward to a test drive of the updated Scorpio Classic. The new shade of Grey and the one in Black look real good.
deepakr82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 20:58   #10
BHPian

Can't believe they stuck in a generic android infotainment system. Pretty sure these won't even have CarPlay/AA to save licensing costs.

Props to Mahindra for at least taking time to hire devs and build a car specific android app to run on this.

Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot-20220812-8.54.09-pm.png

Last edited by Tanmay007 : 12th August 2022 at 20:59.
Tanmay007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 21:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio Classic Press Release

Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20220812212238_drive.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20220812212305_drive.jpg

Official posters

Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-20220812_212632.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-20220812_212634.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-20220812_212637.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio Classic | A Close Look & Preview-20220812_212640.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 23:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

This version looks much better than the Scorpio N. Surprising refresh for the good.
nickatnite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 00:34   #13
BHPian

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but this Scorpio Classic refresh looks so much better than the Scorpio-N.
The legacy butch design, still holds its own. and the new upgrades are subtle and add to the character of this vehicle.
The best part no marketing or branding with that cringe worthy - "big daddy" nomenclature -
The 2.2 M Hawk is a killer engine and having used it previously in my old Scorpio 2009 Model and the 2.6L variant in my Thar Crde 2015 models, i can totally vouch for it.

I so wish Mahindra would have plonked a 4 wheel drive in this classic too. it would be such a good proposition. Having said that i am still looking forward to the price announcement.

My new vehicle purchase decision that i have deferred to mid September 2022, just got even more interesting.

Well played Mahindra !.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th August 2022 at 10:56. Reason: Please capitalise wherever required. Thanks.
Ksingh544 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 09:30   #14
BHPian

Mahindra proves again that they know their customers. A good decision to not axe the original just yet, as there are a lot of hardcore fans of the design. Unless there have been substantial updates to the body and frame, there isn't a lot of chance of the OG Scorpio passing the crash-worthiness tests, so it's not likely to be around for very long. IMO Mahindra is doing a great job of transitioning its breadwinner brands, Bolero and Scorpio to new platforms. I guess this is the last hurrah before goodbye.

Though the Classic had already been leaked online several days ago, it is a whole different experience seeing it in all its glamour, through proper camera lenses instead of crappy mobile footage that distorts the proportions. I was disappointed initially, but the launch pics look so good that I'm half tempted to buy this one instead of the ScorpioN.

And this edition looks particularly good to me, as it has done a nice job of blending the old and new. I especially like the bottom half of the new front end, with the discrete DRLs, skidplate and the black bits at the corners. Though there is the eyebrow LED in the headlamp, a DRL has to be on all the time, and when it needs replacement, I'd rather replace a separate DRL rather than the whole headlamp unit. The foglamps are now shared with the Bolero Neo, and are the same units that came with the mHawk facelift, IIRC. The black bumper corners are a great idea to absorb the inevitable scratches, and the lower grille with the slats makes it look wider.

I do wish they had redesigned the headlamps though. IMO they should match the slant of the new grille rather than going the opposite way. But I guess it would have needlessly increased costs, especially for this model.

Love the alloys. Again, the scoop pics made it look really out of place and rather cheap, but once you look at the details, it looks cool. These would be a great option for lower variant XUV and ScorpioN owners to upgrade to if they wanted something different. IIRC Mahindra updated all its SUVs to 5x114.3 PCD.

The grey shade in the pics really complements the shape of the car, and it's my personal favourite. I wish they offered this shade on the ScorpioN as well. It almost looks matte, and IMO it brings out the details very well.

Regarding the engine, what interests me most is the 210Nm of torque at just 1000 rpm, which would mean that you rarely need to downshift. That, combined with the dance-free cable shift gearbox should improve the driving experience considerably. Very thoughtful, and an unexpected and welcome surprise. The reduction in power doesn't surprise me, and it would be an acceptable trade-off if it means more power across the band. And considering the high speed behaviour of the Scorpio, perhaps it's safer too.

Regarding the interiors, I like the design of the seats, with armrests in every row in the captain seat model. The fabric will be a pain to keep clean, but most Scorpios go to accessory shops straight from dealers where the first thing they do is take out the seats and redo them. The design of the seats looks nice though, with abundant under-thigh support. Not enough side bolstering for an SUV, IMO.

And the next thing is to fit a big screen Android stereo. Half the work is already done by Mahindra, so they can skip the head unit and go straight to replacing the speakers and fitting the big subwoofer in the back. Screen mirroring is good to have though I'm not sure if all phones will support it. But it's basic, and having Android means access to Google maps and that's a good thing.

Waiting for the prices and a TD. If it's good enough, maybe I can skip the waiting period for the ScorpioN and have my beat now!!
vivekgk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 21:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ambassador had a Deluxe model post the Mark 4, prior to the Nova launch around 1990. Meant to say that the logo "Deluxe" is used to keep up the fading glory of something that was once successful.

Mahindra's prime motto is to fulfil government and public sector purchase orders where L 1 (lowest price quoted in an invited tender) is always preferred. That implies it doesn't get many bells and whistles too. The most distinguishing feature are the black bumpers fitted, that are supplied to comply with such purchase orders.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks