Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 11:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Or are they making an Indica XL ?
They are trying to make it Euro-competitive as far as space is concerned. They have even gone on record by saying that while there were "tolerances" in the older design, this one has eliminated most of them, and quality has been focus since the design stage itself. Maybe it will have a door thump to rival Volkswagens.
Old 6th July 2007, 11:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

even i heard that TATA is working on Short Indigo. 200mm shorter than current indigo.
Old 6th July 2007, 11:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmmm do you have any snaps for a scoop
Quote:
Where the heck is your camera when you need it!
Sadly no. But even if i did have a cam it would have been almost impossible to take snaps without being noticed, since the car was surrounded by 15-20 Tata officials/workers.

Quote:
@shan2nu,
is the car looked as if its based on the tata's concept car indiva???
I don't think so. The basic shape was similar to the Indica but a bit more sleeker.

Quote:
When can we expect this new Indica? 2008 or 2009?
Not sure, but Tata is planning atleast 2-4 new models. The new Indica, the 1 lakh car, short wheelbase Indigo and an MPV (like the Innova). The new Indica will be offered with Fiat as well as Tata engines. Ofcourse, these 2 variants will be priced differently.

Quote:
This is obviously the new Indica and from your initial observations, looks like Tata is not leaving a stone unturned. The Fiat engine may help to solve the one sore point of the Indica : refinement. They got it pretty good the last time, and I expect its going to be a rock star in the second generation model. Tata have learned a lot from the current Indica / Indigo.
Tata is using the Jazz/Fit as their benchmark. I was all smiles when the Tata guy was praising the Jazz. Hehe. So they're gonna come out with something really good this time, or atleast thats the impression he gave me.

Quote:
One thing i fail to understand. Its said to be much bigger than the current Indica. Now we all know that Indica beats some of the sedans as far as space is concerned. Why the heck they need to make it even more spacious? Wouldnt it be cumbersome to move around such big vehicle in traffic clogged cities? Or are they making an Indica XL ?
From what i saw, they weren't really bigger than the present Indica. They looked a lil wider though.

Shan2nu
Old 6th July 2007, 12:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
From what i saw, they weren't really bigger than the present Indica. They looked a lil wider though.

Shan2nu
Oh boy! Wider than the present one? As it is Indica is pretty wide by hatch standards. In fact as I often tell people, when it comes to describe the inner cavity of Indica, this is the only car where I can shift gears (I have a typical open palm shift action) without caressing the passenger's thighs.

Now with an even wider body what will it be like? I wonder... Whatever it is my belief that once you drive a Tata it becomes difficult to settle for anything less unless you decide to spend a hefty packet and move up the brand levels is only going to get bolstered further. I ain't complaining though.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:42   #20
NIP
Senior - BHPian

oh woe ! no pictures ?! i saw some spy pics in one of the auto mags sometime back...definitely looks better than the current indica, but the overall 'shell' seems same.

more than anything, i'm hoping this car will not cater 'much' to the taxi segment and will command a little more premium image on the roads aka swift, getz, UVA etc...especially if u live in bangalore, in all probability, you HATE the indicas on the roads ! 'cockroaches' is the slang for taxi indicas in bangy !
Old 6th July 2007, 14:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

The car looks really nice. This will increase sales figures to a gr8 extent. Will have to wait and watch.

DJ
Old 6th July 2007, 19:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure, but Tata is planning atleast 2-4 new models. The new Indica, the 1 lakh car, short wheelbase Indigo
Is this a 2-door coupe? Indigo always begged to be made into a coupe (matching the front and the rear slopes). But about employing the Fiat engine, I guess its good but perhaps the knowledge they gained in the upward learning they were experiencing with their own engines shouldn't be lost and could have been taken forward. With their visions of being a global player the expertise to build their own engines is part of the path (and they were quite right till about this point, although with the Fiat engine they will be making better short-term marketing move)
Old 6th July 2007, 22:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this a 2-door coupe? Indigo always begged to be made into a coupe (matching the front and the rear slopes). But about employing the Fiat engine, I guess its good but perhaps the knowledge they gained in the upward learning they were experiencing with their own engines shouldn't be lost and could have been taken forward. With their visions of being a global player the expertise to build their own engines is part of the path (and they were quite right till about this point, although with the Fiat engine they will be making better short-term marketing move)
He didn't say anything about the number of doors. But the guy did mention something about shortening the boot.

Shan2nu
Old 6th July 2007, 22:50   #24
BANNED

There are some thoughts of export while developing the new Indica X1. From 2003, I think! They have been working on it.
So, the end result would be some thing great!
Old 6th July 2007, 23:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
One thing i fail to understand. Its said to be much bigger than the current Indica. Now we all know that Indica beats some of the sedans as far as space is concerned. Why the heck they need to make it even more spacious? Wouldnt it be cumbersome to move around such big vehicle in traffic clogged cities? Or are they making an Indica XL ?
if that is going to be indica XL, i am in for it....
Old 7th July 2007, 00:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He didn't say anything about the number of doors. But the guy did mention something about shortening the boot.

Shan2nu
Notchback? In the flavour of Viva or 309? That would be charming (with respect to the mis-matching boot in the Indigo.)

Is that going to be on the New Indica platform, or shortening the existing Indigo.
Old 7th July 2007, 00:10   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Notchback? In the flavour of Viva or 309? That would be charming (with respect to the mis-matching boot in the Indigo.)

Is that going to be on the New Indica platform, or shortening the existing Indigo.
Any idea why they want to shorten the Indigo?
Old 7th July 2007, 00:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any idea why they want to shorten the Indigo?
To tuck into the 4000mm zone. They already have the engines. And one of the criticism Indica has is that of lack of bootspace.
Old 7th July 2007, 00:32   #29
BHPian

they are just reducing the size of Indigo Bumper...becoz it is not easy for any company to just reduce the side body in such a short period of time
Old 7th July 2007, 02:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmundu View Post
they are just reducing the size of Indigo Bumper...becoz it is not easy for any company to just reduce the side body in such a short period of time
Are your sure, cos reducing 150mm just from the Bumpers is next to impossible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks