Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2023, 10:18   #16

Re: Blast from the past || Stories from a former Car Salesman

That was one great story. And the way you tell it, just, sublime. Loved it. Please keep writing. I'm sure you have more great anecdotes. Cheers.
Aluminium is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 10:21   #17
BHPian

Dear 14000

Your post had my mind racing back to my first job out of college as a mahindra dealership salesperson in 2015. Like you I was also fresh out of automobile engineering college and hence hated every second of the 3 months I got to spend there!

I came across all kinds of animals you will find in NCR region. I had to plead to customers, learned how bad cold calling is, was even involved in an incident where 2 people were shot in a semi urban area right in front of me while negotiating a deal for a Scorpio! I made some connections and also befriended a BHPian who was there to witness the launch of TUV 300. Would like to meet him again one day!
Vkap257 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 11:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Preface

To sell is human and humans sell all the time.
Consciously or sub consciously.
Admittedly or unadmittedly.

Attachment 2517128

Selling, as I've learnt from books and year of experience, is about building relationships.
Relationships that can be yours to keep beyond the transaction that brought you to the table.

Attachment 2517129

Notes:
  • If you like reading, stick around. Got some interesting bit and bobs to share.
  • IF you are expecting a long list of Dark Secrets of the car dealerships and what goes on inside, this is not the thread. These are stories. Stories from my life.
  • There are no photos and is definitely not TLDR friendly.
I was expecting dark secrets of dealerships but I still read it. Thanks for the entertaining thread. I always thought whenever I went to the dealerships that I could do the salesperson’s job better than him because of my “superior” knowledge about automobiles but after reading your thread I’m more sure of the fact how much I’d suck at so many parts of the job especially cold calls and dealing with irritating clients. I already deal with dumb clients in my interior design and construction business and it’s the worst part of my work.
Himanshu809 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 11:20   #19
BHPian

The first story is very like one I heard a few times, maybe via YouTube re-tellings of Reddit posts. Maybe your own story - or this is a common occurrence in India. The rest of the anecdotes were well narrated and very entertaining. Thank you.
Pennant1970 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 11:36   #20
BHPian

One of the best threads I've seen on this forum. Your writing style is simply superb, 14000rpm. The flow in which you have narrated these incidents brought over a wave of nostalgia of the early 2000s.

Wish you all the luck and continued success in your current field of work. Kudos!
IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 11:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

That's a lot of experiences and anecdotes that you've shared. Thank you for putting together such a wonderful read on a Saturday morning. Sometimes I am amazed at how unique every individual that we meet in our life is! I believe that everyone we meet in our lives is there for a purpose and is only present to teach us a particular lesson or experience. Once we learn the lesson/experience, that person will vanish from our lives. Your stories confirm my belief!!

Beautifully penned down, thanks for sharing!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 11:45   #22
BHPian

Re: The Lucky Charm

Quote:

I am an Automotive Engineer by my degree. Automotive engineering was my calling card in life.

However, it is also a Job that taught me a lot of lessons. The best lessons in selling that I imbibe till date.
Thoroughly enjoyed the anecdotes. As a fresh graduate in the same field, I am now questioning if I should get into Sales just to experience and learn lessons. Neverthless very happy for you and thanks for sharing!

Looking forward to more anectode updates on this thread

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th October 2023 at 15:56. Reason: Rule#11. Also, minor edit of formatting tag.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 11:51   #23

Thank you for posting this thread and kicking off my weekend just right. You're a brilliant storyteller and enjoyed reading every word of this post.

Sales gives you an experience that is indescribable and incomparable. The highs after closing in on a deal, the anxiety throughout the deal, thrill of racing to rank highest on sales board. Oh I love it!

I did it for a limited period of 4 months and while I was first shy and kind of looked down on a sales role, I came out with a different personality altogether. Everyone should try sales once, it can turn out to be a job you didn't know you wanted.

Cheers,
Anant
DDISclatters is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 12:11   #24
BHPian

You have a rare way with words. What an interesting read. So many varied experience. You must have led an interesting life.
venkat_partha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 12:23   #25
BHPian

Re: The Lucky Charm

Dear 1400, your posts have been a delightful journey down memory lane. Your experiences bring a warm wave of nostalgia, and I can't help but chuckle at how they mirror my own adventures in the automotive sector. It's heartening to read your stories. Perhaps one day, when I muster the courage, I'll muster the keys to my own tales from the automotive industry.
carsirdar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 12:28   #26
BHPian

dear 14000, i was immersed for an hour in reading your post .
Indeed u have had varied experiences while selling the cars. such experiences in life are unforgettable and help you a lot throughout your life in tackling diificult and tricky situations
Civic_doc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 12:43   #27
BHPian

Re: Bag full of money

Quote:
One fine day, a very simple and humble looking person, a farmer actually, walked into the showroom and enquired about a golden beige Accord, which was displayed on the showroom floor, with a Sr. Sales manager (SSM) who was on the floor. The SSM looked at him, quickly made some judgment that he'd be a waste of time and just said "go there and pick up brochure and price list".
Farmer - "ok saar but I can't read. Can you please help?"
The SSM called out to one of my fellow trainees to come down and help him.
He was given the details and off he went. No questions asked, no discussions about trim, spec. Nothing. At that point, even I was sure he wouldn't come back.

Shockingly, this Farmer came back a few days later with 2 duffel bags with the exact amount for a top spec Honda Accord in Golden Beige. He dropped the bags at the cash counter and said " can I get the keys to the car please"?

21 yrs later I still find it amusing.
This is very similar to Locomotive 38 story in My Name is Aram. In any case this is quite nice.

Last edited by electric_eel : 28th October 2023 at 12:44. Reason: trimming
electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 13:16   #28
BHPian

Thanks 14000rpm your post was too good. It's truly a vast experience and no doubt you were a top notch salesman.

Salesman especially from automobile sector must read this post of yours which will help them immensely.
Toni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 13:19   #29
BHPian

What an enjoyable thread. Being a sales man, nothing works like a good story and if its a personal story it connects even more than any AV or presentation deck. Thanks for sharing
clementw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 13:20   #30
BHPian

What a lovely read, through and through. Each one of the episodes tells a story of how we humans are the same and yet so uniquely different, much like our life stories. They also highlight that fact how each and every sale is different from the other and how data science, the art of marketing & selling, correct timing, and sheer luck, magically come together to make each one happen.

Brought back to life some nostalgic moments from long untouched yet fond memories. Sweet!
Herschey is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks