Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2023, 12:59   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Blast from the past || Stories from a former Car Salesman

Woah! You were into selling cars before Avi? Did not know that. With that short interaction we’ve had when we met at the ECC HQ at Chennai, I bet you sold a bunch of them in that short stint. (:
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 13:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the date of the first post was wondering how I missed it. Realized what happened after I finished reading the Corolla story, on what actually happened.

Good one, Avi!

How are the stories building up with IT side of life - anything of similar interest?
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 18:58   #48
BHPian

Absolutely heartwarming, reading your experiences. You have the gift of gab, undoubtedly.
Wageabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 22:13   #49
BHPian

I worked in a Hyundai showroom for two days. On my second day I saw a middle-aged gentleman walk into the showroom, he had a bag under his arm, a plastic bag with a couple of bananas in it. 2006 was the year and the Accent was doing well for Hyundai. This gentleman wanted one, but he was very specific about the colour, he only wanted one in red, nothing else would do for him. He was a hot customer, ready with cash and willing to make the payment. The SAs over there tried everything, but the man needed what he wanted. The SAs then offered him the Accent Viva in red, which could be booked and delivered in quick time. They showed him a display car, but he was not impressed by the rear bumper, one of the Viva's distinctive features. The SAs gave up, then he came up with an idea, he was ready to buy a white Accent if the showroom was prepared to paint it red before handing it over to him! The SAs tried to explain the difficulty and again urged him to consider other colour options, he left the showroom saying "If I wanted other colours. I would have bought a Scorpio, my first choice". Apparently he was a farmer who had recently sold his farm land in the Shamshabad area during the "Shamshabad airport boom".
tchsvy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 13:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Woah! You were into selling cars before Avi? Did not know that. With that short interaction we’ve had when we met at the ECC HQ at Chennai, I bet you sold a bunch of them in that short stint. (:
Machax! Glad you recollect our brief catch-up at work. Are you still with L&T? I'm not.
When I met you there, I was already living in Finland managing L&T's business with Wärtsilä and therefore the visit to ECC and thereafter to the Hazira Shipyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wageabond View Post
Absolutely heartwarming, reading your experiences. You have the gift of gab, undoubtedly.
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
..but he was very specific about the colour, he only wanted one in red, nothing else would do for him. Apparently he was a farmer who had recently sold his farm land in the Shamshabad area during the "Shamshabad airport boom".
There are 1000's of such 'I got rich fast and I now need whatever I ask for' stories around the world. Glad to hear yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Looking at the date of the first post was wondering how I missed it.
Date of first post in assembly line is not the same as thread go-live. You know my pace.

Quote:
Realized what happened after I finished reading the Corolla story, on what actually happened.

Good one, Avi!
Thanks Buddy.

Quote:
How are the stories building up with IT side of life - anything of similar interest?
Glad you ask. The reason the stories I have written about are fresh in my memory despite being 20+ yrs ago is coz I use some of these learnings and methods till date.

I have been nurturing the relationships I have built during my work-life. World is only become smaller each day and you never know who you bump into and when.

Case in point.
During my brief stint in the US from Jul '17 - Oct '18, I was the Client partner for my then employers business with Stellantis. Made a bunch of connections but sense got into me and I moved back to Finland. This story has been told in my other thread (Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd)

Day 2 of my new job with a new employer after I joined in Finland my boss suddenly recollects that I had managed Stellantis in the past and I was asked to travel to Turin and join a discussion from Stellantis Turin office where as an army of 20 odd folk from my company met Stellantis US in-person. The entire room was a bunch of unknowns. No relationships built. As is customary, there was a round-Robbin of intro's and I heard a familiar voice. It was a good connect of mine from the technical team in Stellantis. It was soon my turn and when I introduced myself, there was an immediate prod from my good connect -
''Avinash?? Buddy? that didn't take long to get back to Stellantis !!. Good to hear your voice'' Another 30 seconds of personal banter followed. This raised my personal equity in my company since I said I had good relationships and I showed it too.

There have been many many such examples.
Many of my Finnish friends have been customers at some point and now family friends.
14000rpm is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 02:31   #51
BHPian

Woah this is good !

Waiting for the 2nd edition
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 17:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Woah this is good !

Waiting for the 2nd edition
Thanks but I haven't planned a 2nd edition.
14000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 13:50   #53

Fabulous post. Wonderful writing. You have a way with words! And I loved the movie scenes illustrations!

Last edited by graaja : 16th November 2023 at 14:43. Reason: Minor typo: Ans -> And
VLPBLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 01:27   #54

Reading 2002, I was skeptical about relating to your story given the generation gap.
The Memes made me have a really good laugh & was biting nails during the underworld incident. Also, I am searching for jobs right now, so how the Corolla story turned out made me burst in Happiness like I was rooting for our Hero in a movie.

Loved the way you shared your experience, Cheers!
Matrix888 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks