Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2023, 13:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Blast from the past || Stories from a former Car Salesman

A lovely and interesting read! Being in Sales, I relate to every word spoken in t his article!

Sales was my first calling primarily as I loved to travel & secondly, always loved meeting new people (and learning from them). 25 Yrs now and having travelled across 20 countries & almost all states within India, your post resonates very well with what I have experienced. I have not sold cars but have sold many machines that have enriched both the customer & industry

Thank you for this nice article and it made a great read for the weekend
cdrajeevkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 14:04   #32
BHPian

The farmer with duffel bags of money is a story that I have personally experienced as well, albeit in a different setting.

I was quite young, around 11-12 years old and was visiting my maternal grandparents in Ludhiana, a major industrial city in Punjab. My grandfather was serving as joint labour commissioner at that time. He had some banking to do so we visited a national bank branch where he was accorded the courtesy given to a senior "Sarkari Afsar", taken to the manager's cabin to have tea while the paper work was being completed by the junior staff.

While sitting there in the cabin with him, enjoying a campa-cola with biscuits, I saw an frail looking elderly gent enter the bank in pajama-kurta of the "oft-washed and on-last legs" type, the one that has given up all claims to whiteness, is extremely yellowed and on its way to being tattered. He had a cloth bag of similar vintage and condition hung on his arm. Just because he looked very different from everybody else in the bank, he caught my eye and I was looking at him when he approached the teller window.

Till this time, I was thinking the guy must have come to withdraw some cash or get his passbook updated. Imagine my surprise when he started pulling bundles of notes from that "tattered" cloth bag and laying them in front of the teller to count (At least 8-10 bundles)!!

Now this is the time when we did not have the automated machines for notes counting. So the teller immediately started the onerous task of counting the notes by hand. I was astonished as I had never seen that amount of cash till then (this is the time when a 100 Rs went really far, I am talking late 80s)

When I asked my grandfather about this, he laughed it off as a common occurrence with farmers in the area and said he must have come directly from the "Mandi" ( Grain Market) after selling his produce to deposit his earnings.

I kept track of this gent and when he went out, he was on a bicycle!! Imagine my surprise, when we had come by car to probably get 1,000 rupees, this gent came on a bicycle with lakhs of rupees in a cloth bag.

This incidence left a lasting impression on me and I always try not to judge anyone on their appearance. I would even go so far as to say this incidence was what has kept me away from focusing on the brand value of what I wear and use and instead focus on the value I am getting out of it.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 16:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

All: Thank you very much for the overwhelmingly positive response. I appreciate that. I'm glad many of you are able to resonate with the stories with your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Easily among the best threads I have read on Team BHP. What a rich variety of life experiences you've had, 14000rpm. From comedy, horror, tragedy and everything in between - your stories as a car salesman covered a wide spectrum of emotions! I sincerely hope that these stories find their way into a movie script in the future. It would be a surefire hit.
Thanks. you are far too kind. Jordan Belfort has it covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDiablo View Post
Thank you very much 14000 rpm for posting!! This is one of those thread which make you feel like you are reading a classic novel. I'm sure that 10 years down the line when I'm going to read it again it will give me same smile and happiness that it gave today.
Thanks. This thread is a repository of my memories much like my 'Life in Finland' thread is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminium View Post
That was one great story. And the way you tell it, just, sublime. Loved it. Please keep writing. I'm sure you have more great anecdotes. Cheers.
Thanks. Will do my best. Right now I'm trying to write a book for my daughter much like a Memoir from our POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkap257 View Post
Dear 14000

Your post had my mind racing back to my first job out of college as a mahindra dealership salesperson in 2015. Like you I was also fresh out of automobile engineering college and hence hated every second of the 3 months I got to spend there!

I came across all kinds of animals you will find in NCR region. I had to plead to customers, learned how bad cold calling is, was even involved in an incident where 2 people were shot in a semi urban area right in front of me while negotiating a deal for a Scorpio! I made some connections and also befriended a BHPian who was there to witness the launch of TUV 300. Would like to meet him again one day!
It's a tough world that can break anybody. But one emerges stronger from that experience. Sure you'll agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu809 View Post
I was expecting dark secrets of dealerships but I still read it. Thanks for the entertaining thread. I always thought whenever I went to the dealerships that I could do the salesperson’s job better than him because of my “superior” knowledge about automobiles but after reading your thread I’m more sure of the fact how much I’d suck at so many parts of the job especially cold calls and dealing with irritating clients. I already deal with dumb clients in my interior design and construction business and it’s the worst part of my work.
a 20 something me may have been excited to share Dark Secrets but a mid-40 me (which I am) won't do that. I am always grateful for the learning platform that every job has given me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennant1970 View Post
The first story is very like one I heard a few times, maybe via YouTube re-tellings of Reddit posts. Maybe your own story - or this is a common occurrence in India. The rest of the anecdotes were well narrated and very entertaining. Thank you.
I'm sure. It is quite fascinating.
Actually I've had 3 more such 'bag of money to buy a car' experiences after that too. This was late 90's early 00's. Lot of farmers became Crorepati's overnight after ITPL was established near Whitefield. This when Crore's meant a lot and, goes without saying, much of this was the non-white kind. you know what I mean.

There is one such farmer turned businessman who lives in BTM Layout. He owns several commercial buildings on Hosur Rd and goes around in a RR Phantom. Whenever I spoke to him, he would always refer to me as 'Sir'. Humility hasn't changed till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
One of the best threads I've seen on this forum. Your writing style is simply superb, 14000rpm. The flow in which you have narrated these incidents brought over a wave of nostalgia of the early 2000s.

Wish you all the luck and continued success in your current field of work. Kudos!
Thanks much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
That's a lot of experiences and anecdotes that you've shared. Thank you for putting together such a wonderful read on a Saturday morning.
Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Sometimes I am amazed at how unique every individual that we meet in our life is! I believe that everyone we meet in our lives is there for a purpose and is only present to teach us a particular lesson or experience. Once we learn the lesson/experience, that person will vanish from our lives. Your stories confirm my belief!!
Well Said. It sounds so much like the 'Buddist stories for Kids' that I am reading to my 7 yr old.

Blast from the past || Stories from a former Car Salesman-2023_10_28-1_39-pm-office-lens.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed the anecdotes. As a fresh graduate in the same field, I am now questioning if I should get into Sales just to experience and learn lessons. Neverthless very happy for you and thanks for sharing!
Looking forward to more anectode updates on this thread[/center]
Every job brings unique experiences. Subconsciously we are always learning something or the other which, when you sit back and think about later, would have been life-lessons. We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDISclatters View Post
Thank you for posting this thread and kicking off my weekend just right. You're a brilliant storyteller and enjoyed reading every word of this post.

Sales gives you an experience that is indescribable and incomparable. The highs after closing in on a deal, the anxiety throughout the deal, thrill of racing to rank highest on sales board. Oh I love it!

I did it for a limited period of 4 months and while I was first shy and kind of looked down on a sales role, I came out with a different personality altogether. Everyone should try sales once, it can turn out to be a job you didn't know you wanted.

Cheers,
Anant
Sales has a Stigma which kept me away from it too. After I quit selling cars, Owing to my passion, I moved to be an Automotive Design Engineer and there after a program manager for various Design engineering programs. However, I quickly moved back to sales and I won't be going to delivery (IT Projects) again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_partha View Post
You have a rare way with words. What an interesting read. So many varied experience. You must have led an interesting life.
Thanks.
Every slice of our life is always interesting. It's the glasses we wear to look back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsirdar View Post
Dear 1400, your posts have been a delightful journey down memory lane. Your experiences bring a warm wave of nostalgia, and I can't help but chuckle at how they mirror my own adventures in the automotive sector. It's heartening to read your stories. Perhaps one day, when I muster the courage, I'll muster the keys to my own tales from the automotive industry.
Thanks. Writing is a way of reliving memories. you should try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
This is very similar to Locomotive 38 story in My Name is Aram. In any case this is quite nice.
Thanks.
Good to know the correlations. There are 1000's such similar underdog stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
Thanks 14000rpm your post was too good. It's truly a vast experience and no doubt you were a top notch salesman.

Salesman especially from automobile sector must read this post of yours which will help them immensely.
There are lots of salesmen who are far better and may have far better stories to tell.
Selling is selling. My manager in Toyota, the best manager I've ever had, used to sell Bisleri water kegs and prior to that, sold Watches to folk around Vidhana Soudha on the steps. True Grits to Glory story. He is my Inspiration.

He is now Regional head of marketing for a major German Luxury car in India. We met some time ago and sat down to recollect the fun we had together. It won't come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementw View Post
What an enjoyable thread. Being a sales man, nothing works like a good story and if its a personal story it connects even more than any AV or presentation deck. Thanks for sharing
Absolutely. I often choose not to bring up a presentation during my customer meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschey View Post
What a lovely read, through and through. Each one of the episodes tells a story of how we humans are the same and yet so uniquely different, much like our life stories. They also highlight that fact how each and every sale is different from the other and how data science, the art of marketing & selling, correct timing, and sheer luck, magically come together to make each one happen.

Brought back to life some nostalgic moments from long untouched yet fond memories. Sweet!
Thanks. Glad it rekindled some memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrajeevkumar View Post
A lovely and interesting read! Being in Sales, I relate to every word spoken in t his article!

Sales was my first calling primarily as I loved to travel & secondly, always loved meeting new people (and learning from them). 25 Yrs now and having travelled across 20 countries & almost all states within India, your post resonates very well with what I have experienced. I have not sold cars but have sold many machines that have enriched both the customer & industry

Thank you for this nice article and it made a great read for the weekend
Like minds eh. I agree sales is every day learning.
Somebody once said - 'A true salesman is one who finds Problems, not solves problems'. I'm sure you can relate to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Parwan View Post
The farmer with duffel bags of money is a story that I have personally experienced as well, albeit in a different setting.

I kept track of this gent and when he went out, he was on a bicycle!! Imagine my surprise, when we had come by car to probably get 1,000 rupees, this gent came on a bicycle with lakhs of rupees in a cloth bag.

Good one. There are still many such cases. Appearances can never tell the correct story.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 28th October 2023 at 16:14.
14000rpm is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 16:20   #34
BHPian

Thanks for sharing these @14000RPM. I had a lovely time reading them on the ride to work (I wasn't driving). All of us are salesmen, whether we know it or not, and your experiences really resonated. Onwards and upwards.
pradster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 16:59   #35
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The Lucky Charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post

I am an Automotive Engineer by my degree. Automotive engineering was my calling card in life. While I dreamt of moving to US, UK or Germany to continue mastering it, destiny had other plans and I reluctantly accepted my career path in Car Sales.
Truly a gem of an article. Thanks for posting.

Regarding your Honda and Toyota experiences, I guess nowadays the Toyotas sell themselves. While it is the Hondas which need to be sold.

Enjoyed the article thoroughly.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th October 2023 at 20:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post and some formatting edits.
sushanthys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 18:05   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buy one, Sell two..

Interesting stories and very well told. Kept me hooked from post to post.

Quote:
Since the Qualis had to be "Sold", we needed leads..
Those were the days of diesel SUVs. But Toyota offered a rare Qualis petrol option as well. Curious to know if you ever sold any of those unicorns?
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 19:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buy one, Sell two..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradster View Post
Thanks for sharing these @14000RPM. I had a lovely time reading them on the ride to work (I wasn't driving). All of us are salesmen, whether we know it or not, and your experiences really resonated. Onwards and upwards.
Thanks. Onwards and Upwards indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthys View Post
Truly a gem of an article.
Thanks for posting.

Regarding your Honda and Toyota experiences,
I guess nowadays the Toyotas sell themselves.
While it is the Hondas which need to be sold.

Enjoyed the article thoroughly.
Thanks. It was different times. Market has changed dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Interesting stories and very well told. Kept me hooked from post to post.

Those were the days of diesel SUVs. But Toyota offered a rare Qualis petrol option as well. Curious to know if you ever sold any of those unicorns?
Thanks.
You do remember the petrol Qualis. It was a Unicorn actually. I sold only 1 car ever to an executive at Intel. That was the last I'd heard of any enquiry for it while I was there.
14000rpm is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 20:22   #38
BHPian

Re: Convince or confuse

Absolutely loved this thread, I'm glad this forum exists

Quote:
Eventually he bought neither cars but hey, I didn't lose to any competition.
If you were to sell the Scorpio to someone who outright prefers the Qualis for its practicality and reliability, how would a veteran salesperson do it? Apart from the looks factor.

Quote:
To sell is human and humans sell all the time.
Consciously or sub consciously.
Admittedly or unadmittedly.
I'm not a salesperson by profession but this struck a chord. I've been genuinely curious for some time now. How to sell a product, if you, as a salesperson, don't believe in it?

In all your personal experiences, were there any instances where you had to sell a product that you absolutely loathed?

Last edited by krankstter : 28th October 2023 at 20:25.
krankstter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 23:39   #39
BHPian

Most wholesome thing I read today. Thank you so much for writing this.

Quote:
Seeing him, his attire, his body language, those burly men and the MH Plate cars down, I started to get Mumbai underworld vibes.

All I know is it was a Close Encounter.
Its not clear from above, which car was he looking at buying? The Qualis?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 00:27   #40
BHPian

Thanks for sharing all the stories 14000rpm, I would say your stories teach way more about the real business world and sales in a short span than what B Schools teach in 3 or 2 years (MBA).
Shitij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 10:35   #41
BHPian

Absolutely loved it. Read every bit of it and loved it, specially the underworld one .

You've got a rich experience for a lifetime.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 11:18   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello 14000rpm,
Another brilliantly written thread. Loved it. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
I didn't stay in the Honda Dealership for too long. At 3k INR/Month in '02, I was definitely underpaid.
Found myself at a Toyota dealer soon enough that gave me a 100% increase from the Honda dealership. That 3k delta mattered.
Quote:
I am an Automotive Engineer by my degree. Automotive engineering was my calling card in life. While I dreamt of moving to US, UK or Germany to continue mastering it, destiny had other plans and I reluctantly accepted my career path in Car Sales.

Drove over to the customers house, handed him his car and thanked him for letting me take it for my appointment. I had been transparent with him and fortunately he was understanding. I am fairly certain that driving there in his car is what got me my job in the IT services industry I am in now.

This was my last delivery and a few days later, I left my job as a Car Salesman.

His car was a lucky charm.
A lucky Charm that got me out of a job that I didn't like.
A Job I did to keep me motivated.
A Job I did to avoid being a Burden on Parents.
A Job I did to become more responsible.

However, it is also a Job that taught me a lot of lessons. The best lessons in selling that I imbibe till date.

Signature: 2019 Range Rover Sport P400e Autobiography.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. In about 2 decades you went from making Rs.3,000/month to owning a Range Rover Autobiography. You aren't in Bolly/Kolly/Tolly/Molly Wood. That's an inspiring story that needs to be told.

I listen to the Financial Review's "How I made it" podcast that interviews Australia’s top entrepreneurs and quiz them on how they built their fortunes and what they learnt along the way. I share some of the key anecdotes and learning with my daughter. Today I shared your story. I think you,
  • had a dream/aspiration,
  • took the car salesman job seriously and did your absolute best irrespective of the low salary and it not being the job you wanted,
  • found your USP,
  • continued to chase your dream and made it a reality I suppose.
Blast from the past || Stories from a former Car Salesman-846zfl.jpg
kiku007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 09:03   #43
BHPian

I am just fascinated by reading all these stories and experiences you have had. Thank you so much for sharing this and you wrote it so beautifully! What a great start to a Monday morning!

This thread is like a fresh breath of air on a forum that otherwise talks about everything under the sun and less about cars.

The story of the suspected underworld person was a bit hilarious to me, nevertheless, it reveals how many different types of people you get to meet in a job like this.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Preface

To sell is human and humans sell all the time.
Consciously or sub consciously.
Admittedly or unadmittedly.
They sure do and you sure did.
Added this to my cart for my kid as well.
Quote:

Well Said. It sounds so much like the 'Buddist stories for Kids' that I am reading to my 7 yr old.

Attachment 2522497
Thanks for letting us in to your sales experiences. A good read for the beginning of the week and enjoyed it as well.

Last edited by tharian : 30th October 2023 at 12:37.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankstter View Post
In all your personal experiences, were there any instances where you had to sell a product that you absolutely loathed?
Thanks.
There is an adage to the profession of sales - If a product sells for itself, then it doesn't need selling. As long as there is selling involved, there is conviction to be built for whatever be product as long as the market exists. let's keep the market makers aside for a moment. They are disruptors.

While the Qualis sold on Quality and Smoothness as its USP, the Scorpio sold on the image front. I'm not talking about the looks of the vehicle but what the buyer looks like when sitting in it. That is what I would sell a Scorpio on. For the buyer concerned about this 'look factor', engine choices, etc are lesser priority.

in short - I sold Qualis on Practicality aspects, I would sell Scorpio on Emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankstter View Post
A salesman doesn't love or loath any product. He loves the sale and the outcome. Period.

There is always somebody trying to solve problems. if the product one Loathes or loves is the answer to the problem, there is a sale to be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Most wholesome thing I read today. Thank you so much for writing this.

Its not clear from above, which car was he looking at buying? The Qualis?
Indeed I haven't been clear about it. Thanks for pointing it out. It was a Qualis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shitij View Post
Thanks for sharing all the stories 14000rpm, I would say your stories teach way more about the real business world and sales in a short span than what B Schools teach in 3 or 2 years (MBA).
Thanks but you are far too kind. These are merely some of the foundational learnings I've had. I'm sure there are scores of folk here that have far more to cite. I haven't been to any B School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Hello 14000rpm,
Another brilliantly written thread. Loved it. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the kind words Bud. Appreciated.

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong. In about 2 decades you went from making Rs.3,000/month to owning a Range Rover Autobiography. You aren't in Bolly/Kolly/Tolly/Molly Wood. That's an inspiring story that needs to be told.
Facts are right but come on !! I did move countries so the dramatic tone can be dialled down.

Quote:
I share some of the key anecdotes and learning with my daughter. Today I shared your story. I think you,
  • had a dream/aspiration,
  • took the car salesman job seriously and did your absolute best irrespective of the low salary and it not being the job you wanted,
  • found your USP,
  • continued to chase your dream and made it a reality I suppose.
Attachment 2522695
Never looked at myself that way. My God you seem to know me more than I know me.
To be honest, the dream was to be the next Frank Stephenson or Gordon Murray but that was never to be. I have only been making the best of what life has given to me. In fact Bhpian @Bibendum90949 and I studied Automotive Engineering together. Neither of us are designing cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Absolutely loved it. Read every bit of it and loved it, specially the underworld one .

You've got a rich experience for a lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
I am just fascinated by reading all these stories and experiences you have had. ..
The story of the suspected underworld person was a bit hilarious to me, nevertheless, it reveals how many different types of people you get to meet in a job like this.
Indeed. It would've made for a good Guy Ritchie short clip.

To be honest, I have merely curated some of the positive ones. There have been really regrettable experiences as well which I'd rather not recollect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thanks for letting us in to your sales experiences. A good read for the beginning of the week and enjoyed it as well.
Appreciate you took your time to read them all.
14000rpm is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks