Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2007, 16:23   #181
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
1995: Suzuki MAX100: And running at anything beyond 80kmph was too dangerous. [hrag: remember our first run on the Bangalore-Chennai pathway!!]
Remember it very well! The GQ of today was indeed a pathway then. And going via Kolar and Chittoor was the preferred route if one wanted better times.
Old 16th February 2014, 20:35   #182
BHPian

BUMP : Current scenario which car - 2014

I thought it would be a good idea to bump this thread given the current scenario - 7 years later!
In fact was wondering which used car can i plan to pick up next for highway munching!!

My take based only on what I have driven long distances:
Toyota Corolla Altis (driven the 1.6 AT Thailand version)
- Beautiful, awesome ergonomics and nice smooth engine..ofcourse thai roads and automatic really helped
Skoda Yeti(drove short distance but on warying surfaces)
- Seems to be a brilliant highway car. Lovely engine and awesome awesome ride!
Renault Duster 85ps
- awesome handling and nice space.. good ergonomics as well. Engine feels a little noisy and strained at times
OHC Vtec
- wow!!! continuous excitment and lovely back seat. Suspension a lil too soft
Getz
- stable and good space inside
Polo 1.6
- my current car..awesome city drive, but just not the car for highways!
cramped, bad ergonomics for long drives, i seem to get severe knee pain.
Doesnt give too much confidence above 120.
Swift Petrol
- really really cramped, and im just not a fan of the swift petrol engine. good handling but
M 800
- nimble and fun, but really not a highway car

Whats the take on these cars - Skoda Laura, Fiat Punto diesel, linea, ford fiesta diesel
ronk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 20:49   #183
BHPian

Re: BUMP : Current scenario which car - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk View Post
I thought it would be a good idea to bump this thread given the current scenario - 7 years later!
=========
Whats the take on these cars - Skoda Laura, Fiat Punto diesel, linea, ford fiesta diesel
The FIAT Linea T-JET is my opinion is the best car for highways, with its excellent road grip, handling and ride. Further it has sufficient power to leave most of the cars mentioned behind!! Cheers!!
Old 16th February 2014, 23:36   #184
BHPian

Re: BUMP : Current scenario which car - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs_Boson_i View Post
The FIAT Linea T-JET is my opinion is the best car for highways, with its excellent road grip, handling and ride. Further it has sufficient power to leave most of the cars mentioned behind!! Cheers!!
My cars:

Fiat Linea MJD
(Seen over 50,000 kms of Indian highways in three years)- Very stable at all speeds
- The chasis begs a more powerful engine - groans after 120
- Ergonomics - especially seating position - could have been better
- All usual manoeuvres like quick lane changing, the average curve etc are taken with poise
- Suspension a bit on the stiffer side
- Low GC - you need to crawl over speedbrakers
- Good braking
- Average headlamps - makes you want to buy those Nighbreakers

Hyundai Santro Xing
( Small car not really made for the highway, but has seen a lot of them in the 8 years/100,000 kms she has been with us)
- Torquey engine is good for the money though; great in the city

Hyundai i20 petrol
(close friend's car I've often driven on highway trips)
- Scary dynamics - even lane changing makes the car wobbly
- Begs a better engine and AC
- Ultra light steering - no feedback at all
- Useless stock headlamps
- Decent braking
- Comfy/soft suspension
Old 17th February 2014, 00:35   #185
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which are the most comfortable cars to drive long distances in?

Honda Civic. Open roads and the car seems to glide gracefully.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 11:11   #186
BANNED

I have driven a Punto MJD for around 94K Km's and my sister' New Fiesta P for around 2K Km's.
New Fiesta is better than punto in all areas, be it ride, handling, features, seats, etc. Punto trounces fiesta in placement of Power window buttons and ease of use of bluetooth telephony.
So, Ford Fiesta new anyday better than Punto for long distance cruising and city use.
Old 17th February 2014, 11:29   #187
BHPian

1. Chevy Optra 2.0 TCDi - I have done a lot of long drives, trips covering on an average of 1500km. Very comfortable, reliable, economical, fast and powerful engine.
2. Ford Ikon 1.6Nxt - Wow the "Divers" car. Sheer driving pleasure.
Old 17th February 2014, 11:52   #188
BHPian

MB W123 200D AT. I know its not an Indian car but still its an amazing car to drive on the highways. Munches miles without any stress and reaching your destination you are almost as fresh as you started. An amazing vehicle.
Old 17th February 2014, 12:05   #189
Senior - BHPian

I have had an opportunity to drive these cars in the recent past and here are my thoughts:

1. Honda Civic - This 'Indian Lamborghini' was designed for highways. Give some straight well laid tarmac and this machine would make you feel like a fighter jet pilot. Probably the only car <25lks that could 'Truly' seat 5 adults. Was ready to head for a hike even after a 500km drive in one.

2. VW Passat - With Class, you get loads of comfort. Yes, this is really built for the highways and with a DSG pushing 170 horses, it really flies. Passat really shows why the Autobahn is in Germany!!

3. Hyundai Getz 1.3 - Is surely not the fastest hatch on the block, but anybody who has been in one will never complain about one thing, COMFORT. Getz just comes into its own on the highways, where the tall gear allows for an effortless cruising. Can really seat 4 average sized adults without any qualms or stress for highway journeys.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 17th February 2014 at 12:07.
Old 17th February 2014, 12:28   #190
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me how comfortable is the Fortuner to drive over long distances? Parameter's are ergonomics, seat comfort including under thigh support, engine noise, wind noise & tyre noise, illumination from head lights in the dark.
Old 17th February 2014, 12:32   #191
BHPian

If travelling long distance with family then Tata Manza. Lots of space, great ride, great suspension and Fantastic AC even in hottest of summers.
Old 17th February 2014, 12:47   #192
BHPian

Loved the Vento on the recent drive home. I was a bit wary of the car at first but it settled in nicely. The kid was in the rear and he was quite comfortable as well. The only concern was the brakes but it did its part. The drive itself was quite easy. The Vento is a point-and-shoot option with minimal fuss. It goes where you tell it to go.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:46   #193
BHPian

Which would be the best Indian car in terms of driver comfort? I have started getting severe knee pain in my right knee driving the A-star AT :( And backaches are routine now with those horrible maruti seats.

Toying with the idea of test driving a Safari, but the quality issues may result in an ache in some other part of the body.
So, is there any car available in India for under 15L which has excellent under thigh support, and good driving ergonomics? i.e. no backache or knee pain and definitely no headache.
thanks in advance.
Old 25th March 2014, 12:01   #194
Senior - BHPian

Having driven my Ertiga ZDi exclusively on highways (a small percentage in the city), I can say it's up with the band of "comfortable highway cars". Good ride at speed, effortless cruise, comfortable seating and on all my drives, I've never faced any acute joint pain except general tiredness. Even the passengers are full of praises at the end of the journey, especially, with the rear AC that takes care of the sweltering summer heat.

I also have to mention that the Civic was the most uncomfortable car for the highway. No offence to any owners here but every time my brother did a long trip he came out with severe hip ache. To the contrary, he faces none of that in my Ertiga.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:02   #195
BHPian

I drive SX4 Diesel (Mine is ZDI version) and found it very good for Highway/Long drives.
  • Awesome seating position - I have driven it 4 hours at a stretch, absolutely no pain - very comfortable car.
  • It's rock-sturdy even at very higher speed.
  • Over taking is breeze.
  • Breaking is also very good.
  • The only factor I feel missing is headlight throw which is inadequate. This car requires a projection lamp for sure. Maruti should have at least given it as an optional fitting
Overall a very good car for long highway drives.

Last edited by Keralite : 25th March 2014 at 13:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks