Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Fun to drive- Palio 1.6 Stile Sports/ Swift DDiS?
Palio 1.6 Stile Sport 68 58.12%
Swift DDiS 49 41.88%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2007, 19:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

@sushanthr.... 1.6 has stiffer suspension and lower profile tyres and most importantly 100 horses enough to make a hell lot of difference in the way it drives. The ride is harsher than 1.2 understandably.1.2 came with 80 profile tyres tuned for ride comfort than handling.
Old 9th August 2007, 19:27   #122
BANNED

I am buying Swift DDiS but i know that we cant compare the fun of 1.6 Palio with this 1.3 DDiS, need not to mention this DDiS is also from Fiat that too its now one generation behind the latest 1.3 Fiat's engine which puts 90 BHP and its more fuel efficient then the earlier version.
For me anydays Fiat.Let them launch Grand Punto befor my Swifts delivery, immediatly i am gonna cancel my booking with Maruti.
Old 9th August 2007, 19:34   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As of now, 100 people voted (in less than 2days)

57% in favour of Palio 1.6 and 43% in favour of Swift DDiS
How many have actually driven both Palio 1.6 Stile and Swift DDiS? I haven't, so I am not voting.
Old 9th August 2007, 19:51   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Unfortunately the figures mean squat as it includes "I have never driven Swift but I own a Palio, so I vote for her" and other such unqualified votes.
Unfortunately, though this forum has mroe swift owners than Palio owners, since Swift owners always vote objectively (they never vote for Swift Diesel just becuase they have a petrol one), palio is leading for the time being

By the way I have voted for Palio 1.6 because I own a Petra and I have driven Swift diesel. Am I qualified to vote?

Don't ask me what if Petes tuned Swift ddis is compared against palio 1.6.
Old 9th August 2007, 19:52   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Unfortunately the figures mean squat as it includes "I have never driven Swift but I own a Palio, so I vote for her" and other such unqualified votes.
Please stop this propaganda!
Do you think that all who voted for Swift D have driven both Palio 1.6 and Swift D???
NO, Most of them have NOT!

So please stop targetting those who have a liking for Palio/Fiat cars and learn to appreciate good things in life!
Old 9th August 2007, 21:54   #126
BHPian

I will try and stick to the topic at hand. I own the Fiat and have test driven the DDiS. Frankly, both are almost equally good to drive. I loved the Swift to bits. Reason, I love a car that has oodles of torque. So I loved it, not only because it has a fantastic motor, but also because its makes a very competent package overall. Much better IMO than the petrol Swift. Plus, it sounds sporty! That is surprising for a diesel.

But, but, but, the 1.6 still does better in my books, but only just. But its enough for me to choose it over the Swift D. You see, there are many on this forum who dont know or care much about track days, or which car is better or worse. I am one of those. I dont care if the Swift D runs rings over the Palio or otherwise ( with or without the help of a certain Mr. Pete). In any case, I dont understand how Mr. Pete deserves a mention on thread. I thought it was about stock cars.

Anyways, what I and I am sure many on this forum care about, is driveability in the real world. Thats one of the reasons why I gave up my Palio 1.2, inspite of it being a fantastic car. When I test drove the Diesel Swift, it did impress me a lot. But there was this one very significant thing. When you mash the throttle on the Swift D, nothing happens until the TC kicks in at about 2K+ rpm. The car turns into a rocket from then on. So in effect, all the fun happens after a certain rpm right? Infact, I distinctly remember not being able to enjoy all that diesel torque in city driving conditions. On the other hand, you mash the throttle on the 1.6 and things start happening.You get the torque right from around 1200 rpm on the 1.6. Its not a "whoosh" alright, but its pretty good for a petrol. Its a much more balanced engine with right doses of torque and power, more importantly, at the right rpms'. Its not for nothing that its named the "Torque" engine by Fiat. So I felt it was much more driveable and relaxed in city conditions.Plus it could have an edge on the highway as well.

So, for me, the 1.6 is a bit more 'fun to drive' than the Swift D in a variety of conditions. If only Fiat could reduce that turning radius .

Last edited by roms : 9th August 2007 at 21:57.
Old 9th August 2007, 22:33   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
So, for me, the 1.6 is a bit more 'fun to drive' than the Swift D in a variety of conditions. If only Fiat could reduce that turning radius .

Thats the way to choose! It should be the car that you found fun to drive.
Am sure this would be one vote respected by all.
Old 9th August 2007, 22:47   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I have a question what would you choose it it was Swift 1.6 and Palio DDIs?

The Swift 1.6 petrol. With the MTD engine in the back. And a switch to toggle between the 2 engines on-the-fly.
Old 9th August 2007, 22:58   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Swift 1.6 petrol. With the MTD engine in the back. And a switch to toggle between the 2 engines on-the-fly.
And then we shall complain about 'lack of boot space'
Old 9th August 2007, 23:18   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
But there is one problem. What do you put in the tank? I guess alcohol should do.
Old 9th August 2007, 23:23   #131
BHPian

Fat chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
What I feel is that everybody here knows that the Swift is anyday better. common guys agree it.

It is the ego which is coming in between their eyes which is making them write all this. back of their minds all and everyone here knows swift is the best right guys. hmmm.
If the FIAT/Maruti DDIS engine was inside the Palio then probably you would have had a chance of making people who have driven the FIAT1.6 agree; till then you can only wish and if wishes were candidates Laloo would be Prime Minister( I shudder to think of this).
As for me since this is a poll based purely on fun to drive factor without contemplating on the expenses I would vote for the Palio1.6 anyday.
By the way if you want more torque at low rpm's at the expense of high end bhp above 4300rpm just drive any Palio1.6 with a well sorted out LPG kit. For the past 3 years I have revelled in the torque upto about 4300rpm after which the petrol diet gives me better thrills. Its a rare day that I can rev above 4300rpm with any palpable reward. Most of my driving is below 4500rpm anyways. I am already doing insane speeds for Kerala roads when in the right gear with rpm's hovering at about 4000 and I have to consciously glance at the speedometer every now and then to keep it below 100-110kmph. Safe limits on narrow single lane Kerala roads I reckon is at 90kmph and below in the Palio. The best fun I have had in the PalioGTX is when going up hill in the ghat section at Munnar hills when all other vehicles seem to be struggling and my worst nightmare is driving up the same hill in my Junkindica which is by the way my Palio's mechanically challenged sibling.

Also do remember that the Palio is normally aspirated and the DDIS is turbo charged and that goes a long way in addressing longevity of the engine if metallurgical aspects were similar.
Old 9th August 2007, 23:30   #132
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Roms, that was a very good detailed analysis. Least to say you are one of those guys whom I do respect along with moralfibre. You guys keep the answers logical with just the right tinge of emotions/love. I respect the fact that you respect the views of others in turn gaining respect for your own views. Did that make any sense?
Old 10th August 2007, 06:12   #133
BANNED

Can't we keep it as simple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
I will try and stick to the topic at hand. I own the Fiat and have test driven the DDiS. ...........................................

In any case, I dont understand how Mr. Pete deserves a mention on thread. I thought it was about stock cars.............................................. ..

.................................................. ..
So, for me, the 1.6 is a bit more 'fun to drive' than the Swift D in a variety of conditions.
Great! One of the best postings here so far! : I don't understand why it is not possible to keep it as simple as this!

Did somebody mention that 3 lettered word EGO?? It is definitely meant for catfights!

Samurai has shown a good example to all those who beg to differ.
Old 10th August 2007, 10:01   #134
BHPian

Funny how people owning 1.2s root for the 1.6 and the 1.6 for the 1.3

I drive a 1.6 with a crazy port job, head work & headers. And trust me the car is FAST. I drive 1.5 ohc also. But the 1.6 is a beast. Inspite of being heavier by a good 200 or so kgs, the car can move. BUT this is a very unforgiving car. screw up one small thing mechanically and you'll pay thru your noses.

Coming to the ddis, its a beauty. The turbo lag is present but for all that I know, a good launch can help that. the car is a great handler.

BTW did someone say the palio handles???? Either my car was made very wrong or you have a wrong notion of handling. the gtx has loads of roll. For sure needs a suspension stiffer than what is on offer currently.

All said and done my take???? I have decided to sell the gtx and buy a swift diesel. I was someone very passionate about fiats. I have owned all fiat cars from the padmini to the palio. I went and did what no other gtx owner did to his car. BUTTTT have to move on. The palIo is old. Its time to give the car some rest and get another one.

And this time I am buying a car with my mind. Not my heart.

The Swift DDiS for me. And if I miss the fun, a black box from Mr. Peter will do just fine.
Old 10th August 2007, 10:12   #135
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrie
I drive a 1.6 with a crazy port job, head work & headers. And trust me the car is FAST.
I can vouch for that. The only other Palio that was faster was Sam's demo car. Talking about which, you should get it to the drag tomorrow at Chennai.

Quote:
The turbo lag is present but for all that I know, a good launch can help that.
Harrie, I guess most don't want to consider the fact that one can keep the turbo running without having to come off the turbo band. One has to learn how to do it, and with time driving a turbo car you will soon be able to do it with easy. Or for further info contact Tadukuttan who will be able to give you tips and tricks. And for those of who who were talking about taking the swift D on track, do keep in mind that you are never below the turbo band on any of the corners.

Quote:
BTW did someone say the palio handles???? Either my car was made very wrong or you have a wrong notion of handling. the gtx has loads of roll. For sure needs a suspension stiffer than what is on offer currently.
Needless to say, I never DARED to talk about this topic with the fear of starting another forest fire or being called names. But now since you mentioned it, palio's suspension is not as stiff as its perceived to be. Coupled with some additional body roll (see the track day pics for proof). I guess swifts suspension could be a better handler than compared to the palio. We will have proof of that at the next track day we are planning in September. I would want to see it to believe which of the two would handle better. Theoretically, swift should win but I could be proven wrong. Infact, I would love to see this battle and put an end to this ever raging debate.

So Harrie, will the DDis be ready for the track day?

Quote:
I went and did what no other gtx owner did to his car.
And we respect you for that. Along with kiran & roms for clear cut unbiased, thoughtful answers.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 10th August 2007 at 10:17.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks