Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2023?
Hyundai Exter 72 3.26%
Maruti Fronx 44 1.99%
MG Comet EV 39 1.76%
Citroen C3 Aircross 20 0.90%
Toyota Rumion 4 0.18%
Hyundai Verna 334 15.11%
Honda Elevate 270 12.22%
Citroen eC3 7 0.32%
Maruti Jimny 336 15.20%
Mahindra XUV400 18 0.81%
Toyota Innova Hycross 701 31.72%
Maruti Invicto 5 0.23%
BMW X1 24 1.09%
Hyundai Ioniq 5 287 12.99%
Audi Q3 Sportback 18 0.81%
Volvo C40 Recharge 31 1.40%
Voters: 2210. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2023, 21:53   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2023 | EDIT: It's the Toyota Innova Hycross

My vote is for Hycross (purely for hybrid tech). Practical technology (also mature enough) for our market until we sort out EV infrastructure. I did not like the hybrid implementation on Hyryder but hycross is pretty good package(even though I am not a fan of cost cutting by toyota)

I would have wished for a 5 seater hybrid SUV or a sedan using the same engine+hybrid tech as a long 7 seater VAN is not something I want to drive daily to office.
Old 6th December 2023, 21:55   #122
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5669628 (Comparison : EVs priced between Rs. 50 lakhs - Rs. 1.3 crores)

Voted for the IONIQ 5 as all things considered, I feel like it is not only the best EV in the country but also one of the best cars in the country at a very reasonable and neutral price point. A showcase of Hyundai's capabilities and global ambitions and one of the very few truly global premium cars that cost the same in our country as it does in the west.
Old 6th December 2023, 22:07   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Unlike last year, this year’s choice set is relatively narrow. And I would quibble about including some of the cars in the set - the Fronx is nothing but a Baleno on stilts, the Invicto is a badge engineered Hycross and the Rumion is a badge engineered Ertiga.

But in this set, there are a few outstanding cars. The Hycross is so visible on Indian roads that I assumed it was a 2022 launch, and was surprised to find it in this list. It could probably sell 50% more than it is doing if Toyota had the production capacity. But for me, it is still the perfect taxi, and not a car that anyone would want to own, except after running an excel sheet. And a “Car of the Year” MUST be desirable - not just a tool. So the Hycross was knocked out.

The second great car this year is the Hyundai Verna. I dislike its looks but in terms of power, space (for the segment) and safety, it is outstanding. Hyundai has heard customers and delivered a product that combines 5 star safety with a long feature list - and it is a genuine contender.

The C40 Recharge seems to deliver outstanding power but with Volvo’s Chinese ownership, thin service network and the extremely high price, I did not even consider buying it. So I obviously can’t vote for it as COTY

And hence, as should be obvious from my revealed preference, my vote for COTY 2023 is none other than the Ioniq 5. Have a lot to say about this car, but will save that for my review.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 00:04   #124
BHPian

Voted for Ioniq 5!
Hands down the best EV in the market which looks absolutely smashing. It looks futuristic and also offers a host of features and tech. Also I feel with the Ioniq 5, Hyundai has really proved to be a game changer.
Ioniq 5 has introduced lot of innovation in the world of Automotive, which is leaps and bounds ahead of just the Panoramic sunroof, bigger touch screen, etc.
Old 7th December 2023, 01:06   #125
BHPian

Wanted to vote for Hyundai given the strides they've made in this year - safety, engines, new models and so on.

Picked the Verna because of the relevance to the market and because it seems to have dethroned the king!
Old 7th December 2023, 02:30   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai over the past few years have been getting their configurations spot on - balanced ride & handling, feature loaded, fairly reliable (not perfect - there are niggles that come up over time + rattles), etc.

Each and every time I was in the market for a Hyundai - the boring to drive nature compared to the Rivals + poor perceived safety always kept me off.

And then they launched the Tucson, a safe, fun to drive, well equipped, powerful car. The one Hyundai I could see myself actually owning.
This was followed by the Ioniq 5. Another car that would fit the garage beautifully and my second option for this vote.
But these have been CKDs. Not mass market cars.

That changed with the Verna - 5 star safety, punchy 1.5T Petrol engine, and all the rest of the hyundai goodies - features, decent interiors, good NVH, mumbai friendly ride & handling balance.

So here I am, giving it my vote for making me hopeful of the new mass market Hyundai's that will be launched soon.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 07:55   #127
BHPian

Voted for Jimny. After my relocation from silicon valley of USA to Silicon Valley in India, I got an opportunity to spend some quality time driving Scorpio VLX, Crysta Z automatic and Jimny alpha automatic.I had a lot of niggles with Scorpio but still loved the car because of its bulletproof m hawk engine. An example of a niggle as per dictionary wrt my cars. The power windows always worked in the Mahindra dealer workshop from Day 1 of delivery and never worked after the car reached my home. This issue was never resolved in spite of it being on the list of things to do for every service for a decade. The OEM TPMS has a mind of its own. It starts flashing all of a sudden when I am cruising at 120 kmph and then stops when ever it feels like. Now coming to my Crysta Z diesel automatic. The service advisor said that it is one of the last cars ever manufactured by Toyota as they are stopping automatics in Diesel. The car was superb in all respects except in one department of comfort which is the USP of Innova. The car I had came with 17 inch tyres and the ride as per my personal experience is bouncy and my wife said that her head reels after a long journey which is not the case in another Innova car with 16 inch tyres. Why Toyota introduced 17 inch tyres for aesthetics? Coming to Jimny, it’s the best decision I had taken as per my wife. I am surprised at how many threads exist in teambhp on this cute little car. I bought Jimny because of the requirement of driving in rural non existing roads. Even though I personally enjoy the car but cautioned my batchmates during my 40 year engineering college reunion who showed interest not to buy as most of Indians look at it as 2 WD vehicle and cannot really have a use case of 4 WD. I even asked them to view on YouTube for a post on 4WD which has 10 M views highlighting the Jimny strength in comparison to Mercedes G wagon which is 10 times costlier.

Last edited by Mystic : 7th December 2023 at 08:11.
Old 7th December 2023, 08:33   #128
BHPian

My vote is for the Toyota Innova Hycross Hybrid. It is a good-looking, great-road presence, practical, economical, reliable, and value-for-money car that will serve a family for a very long time.
Old 7th December 2023, 08:35   #129
Senior - BHPian

How come Toyota Rumion (Ertiga) and Suzuki Invicto (Hycross) in the list?

Voted for Jimny.

It was tough to choose between Elevate, Innova Hycross, and Jimny.
Old 7th December 2023, 08:54   #130
BHPian

Hycross, Fronx, Elevate for me in the same order. I have not seen Invicto on road till now, but if base models are VFM than Hycross, then we can add that one too
Old 7th December 2023, 09:38   #131
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Jimny.

There are shortcomings in the product related to brakes at high altitude and then how Maruti choose to place it with over optimistic pricing. But otherwise, its appeal is what makes me vote for it. Also, its season proof for India, next to no worries in monsoon. One can be carefree for most of the driving scenarios and its size isnt that big which helps daily driving plus parking.

Sedans, I love them, but somehow the price of cars have sky rocketed like anything, and our roads wont allow owners to drive with low stress. Close second for me was Innova Hycross and then in line was Verna. Verna is good, but the price dampens its appeal. Also, a lack of torque converter marks it down.
Old 7th December 2023, 10:42   #132
BHPian

Voted for Jimny.
I was so apprehensive about buying it because of all the negativity everywhere but once I drove it a few times all the doubts in my mind went away. What a fun little machine. This will be in my garage for a long long time(touch wood).
Old 7th December 2023, 10:48   #133
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Ioniq 5.
It has everything I desire if I want to spend that much money. An easy 500+ km range makes it a really good highway ride as well.

Another close contender is Hycross hybrid.
Old 7th December 2023, 10:49   #134
BHPian

I was in the market and did not buy the HyCross but still voted for it because it has brought the strong hybrid technology to the mass market. Innova brand name is just an added bonus.
Old 7th December 2023, 10:55   #135
BHPian

Voted for the - Toyota Hycross

Reason - It takes sheer guts to twist a winning formula on its head yet come out on top!
And that's exactly what Toyota has achieved! From BOF to monocoque; Diesel to Petrol on an MUV & yet convince customers to queue up to get their hands on one, is just amazing.

The Jimny was a close second, but Suzuki has just followed Mahindra. And that sad engine+gearbox combo just doesn't work for me.

The biggest disappointment was Honda Elevate. Absolutely zero innovation. No Hybrid, not even a Turbo engine

Regards,
Powertrain

Last edited by powertrain : 7th December 2023 at 11:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks