Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd December 2020, 19:03   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Driving with temporary registration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvivek2 View Post
I'm facing a similar situation, my Rapid will be ready for delivery with permanent registration no. by 24th, but the HSRP plates will take 4-5 days more to arrive.
@Arindam Did you face any problems in Bangalore while doing so..?
It took around a week for the number plates to arrive and get installed. The number itself came two days after delivery. I did not stick a print on the windshield. In the meantime, I drove around all through Bangalore, but did not have any cops stopping me. The plastic seat covers and the ribbon on the boot helped I guess. They must have assumed that I just took delivery

Not sure about outstation trips though. Others can pitch in if they have any first hand knowledge.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 23:35   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvivek2 View Post
I'm facing a similar situation, my Rapid will be ready for delivery with permanent registration no. by 24th, but the HSRP plates will take 4-5 days more to arrive. I have an outstation trip in the meanwhile coming up for the weekend and debating whether to take the new car or not - is it perfectly legal to drive around with printed number sheet on windscreen/bumper (especially considering out of city trips) without a HSRP?
As long as you have a valid permanent number, you can paste it on the windshield (front and back) and you are good to go. I have travelled outstation as well and crossed tolls too without HSRP and without any issue. There is no illegality involved as long as your other documents are in order. Of course, you can’t be seen moving around without HSRP after substantial time has passed since your purchase and without any genuine reason. Hope that helps,

Regards.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 22nd December 2020 at 23:40.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 23:44   #93
BHPian

I took delivery of my car with temporary number. Skoda was kind enough to provide a temporary plastic plate with number printed on it. I had not asked them to do so, it was done by there own will. Noticed same with a Superb being delivered, having same type of temporary plate. Guess it's a norm they are following incase permanent registration number is not available by the time of delivery.
Akash86M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 15:51   #94
BHPian

Yes that is the norm. As per rules, temporary number should be on a red plate with yellow letters on a plate rather than a sticker.

But >99% dealers give white temporary number plates with black lettering. This is usually an excuse for the cops to fine cars with such temporary number (though not much prevalent).
Old 19th January 2021, 13:17   #95
BHPian

Hello folks,

I was going through this thread, and it seems like it is ok to drive cross state with temp plates. I plan to buy a vehicle in Kerala, drive it to Hyderabad and get it registered in Hyderabad. My plan:
1. Purchase the vehicle & apply for temp registration (dealer does this) in Kerala.
2. Pay road tax online to TS
3. Drive the car to Hyderabad and get it registered.

I plan to do this within 20 days of the temporary registration. Could someone please advise if this plan works?

Also, I saw this note on the on the National Highways Act 1956:
Section 43: Temporary Registration:
Notwithstanding anything contained in section 40, the owner of a motor vehicle may apply to any registering authority or other authority as may be prescribed by the State Government to have the motor vehicle temporarily registered and such authority shall issue a temporary certificate of registration and temporary registration mark in accordance with such rules as may be made by the Central Government:
Provided that the State Government may register a motor vehicle that plies, temporarily, within the State and issue a certificate of registration and registration mark for a period of one month in such manner as may be prescribed by the State Government.

Can someone confirm if this means that I cannot take the vehicle out of state?

Most Viewed