Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:03   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving with temporary registration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvivek2 View Post
I'm facing a similar situation, my Rapid will be ready for delivery with permanent registration no. by 24th, but the HSRP plates will take 4-5 days more to arrive.
@Arindam Did you face any problems in Bangalore while doing so..?
It took around a week for the number plates to arrive and get installed. The number itself came two days after delivery. I did not stick a print on the windshield. In the meantime, I drove around all through Bangalore, but did not have any cops stopping me. The plastic seat covers and the ribbon on the boot helped I guess. They must have assumed that I just took delivery

Not sure about outstation trips though. Others can pitch in if they have any first hand knowledge.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 23:35   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvivek2 View Post
I'm facing a similar situation, my Rapid will be ready for delivery with permanent registration no. by 24th, but the HSRP plates will take 4-5 days more to arrive. I have an outstation trip in the meanwhile coming up for the weekend and debating whether to take the new car or not - is it perfectly legal to drive around with printed number sheet on windscreen/bumper (especially considering out of city trips) without a HSRP?
As long as you have a valid permanent number, you can paste it on the windshield (front and back) and you are good to go. I have travelled outstation as well and crossed tolls too without HSRP and without any issue. There is no illegality involved as long as your other documents are in order. Of course, you can’t be seen moving around without HSRP after substantial time has passed since your purchase and without any genuine reason. Hope that helps,

Regards.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 22nd December 2020 at 23:40.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 23:44   #93
BHPian

I took delivery of my car with temporary number. Skoda was kind enough to provide a temporary plastic plate with number printed on it. I had not asked them to do so, it was done by there own will. Noticed same with a Superb being delivered, having same type of temporary plate. Guess it's a norm they are following incase permanent registration number is not available by the time of delivery.
Akash86M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 15:51   #94
Senior - BHPian

Yes that is the norm. As per rules, temporary number should be on a red plate with yellow letters on a plate rather than a sticker.

But >99% dealers give white temporary number plates with black lettering. This is usually an excuse for the cops to fine cars with such temporary number (though not much prevalent).
Old 19th January 2021, 13:17   #95
BHPian

Hello folks,

I was going through this thread, and it seems like it is ok to drive cross state with temp plates. I plan to buy a vehicle in Kerala, drive it to Hyderabad and get it registered in Hyderabad. My plan:
1. Purchase the vehicle & apply for temp registration (dealer does this) in Kerala.
2. Pay road tax online to TS
3. Drive the car to Hyderabad and get it registered.

I plan to do this within 20 days of the temporary registration. Could someone please advise if this plan works?

Also, I saw this note on the on the National Highways Act 1956:
Section 43: Temporary Registration:
Notwithstanding anything contained in section 40, the owner of a motor vehicle may apply to any registering authority or other authority as may be prescribed by the State Government to have the motor vehicle temporarily registered and such authority shall issue a temporary certificate of registration and temporary registration mark in accordance with such rules as may be made by the Central Government:
Provided that the State Government may register a motor vehicle that plies, temporarily, within the State and issue a certificate of registration and registration mark for a period of one month in such manner as may be prescribed by the State Government.

Can someone confirm if this means that I cannot take the vehicle out of state?
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 03:20   #96
BHPian

Need some help fellow Bhpians.

I shall be taking delivery of my 2021 Gurkha on Sunday the 28th of November 2021 from Ram Hari Motors, Mandi (H.P.)
Driving with temporary registration?-img20211119wa0004.jpg
It is to be registered at the RTO at Solan Himachal Pradesh and the dealership initiated this process on 19th November 2021.

Have already paid the Registration charges and received an application number and receipt for the same.

I have further paid 5000/- for a particular number that I have chosen and have the receipt from Solan RTO for the same as well.

For some reason the file was awaiting Solan RTO verification for the past few days.

I called up and found out that the officer concerned is on leave and it may take a few days yet to approve the file for Permanent Registration as he would only return by the 30th of November.

I had already booked my hotel and bus tickets to go pick up Asterix (my Green Gurkha) from Mandi on 28th November as per schedule.

I had not envisioned this untimely hiccup that could befall me if the aforementioned "Bade Babu" would suddenly decide to go smell the roses and take in some fresh air and in the process somehow leaving the entire RTO at Solan effectively paralyzed.

I will be going to Mandi on Saturday and driving Asterix to Delhi on Sunday right after delivery with Temporary Registration Plates attached..colloquially knows as "on TR".

Now for my Q's.

1. Is it legal to drive a vehicle with Temporary Registration plates from one state to another? I know the validity is for one month from Date of Purchase.

I read online that Temporary Registration plates have to be made with Red letters on a Yellow background but have always noticed private cars sporting "TR" plates with the usual Black letters on a White background.
Driving with temporary registration?-screenshot_20211124203629_google.jpg

2. Should I go for the normal Black and White ones which would blend in with normal traffic (as much as a Gurkha can blend in with normal traffic) or get the Yellow and Red ones made, which would stick out like a sore thumb and attract the attention of sime greedy cop?

They love harrasing people in transit on highways as it usually means a fast buck.

The dealer said he would send me my Registration Card and HSRP's via registered mail/courier once my Permanent Registration Number has been alloted to me.

His opinion is that it is perfectly safe to drive around with TR plates for upto one montn.

Any definitive answers would be so very appreciated by me. Any links that I can show the cops if they do decide to single me out would really make my day too.

I want to enjoy my first drive of Asterix back to Delhi and not be fretting about being fined on our maiden voyage.

Last edited by Manuuj : 25th November 2021 at 03:22.
Manuuj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 03:57   #97
Team-BHP Support

Yes, it’s perfectly normal to drive new car on temporary RC anywhere as long the same is valid (30days usually). Get the regular Black and White as most cops themselves are not aware and get confused. Not that they can do anything but may pull you over. Make it a point to get the temporary numbers on regular plates and not paper sticker that certain dealerships put casually.

Good luck with your new Gurkha. It’s indeed a special vehicle.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 07:11   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Need some help fellow Bhpians.
I want to enjoy my first drive of Asterix back to Delhi and not be fretting about being fined on our maiden voyage.
Congratulations on your beast, wishing you years of miles and smiles!!

Yes, it is perfectly legal to drive anywhere in India on temporary plates for upto 30 days. I bought my car in kerala, drove it to hyderabad for registration.

To be safe, I would recommend the following:
1. Get your temp number on either yellow plates, or get it in a thick yellow board. Basically don't rely on the paper stickers alone.
2. Ensure you have all paperwork. Temp registration form should call out the RTO where you intend to do registration.
3. If you have receipts for road tax (from the destination RTO), then that would be perfect. I didnt have this as I couldn't pay TS road tax online.
4. To be safe, print a self declaration letter stating your intent to register the car in yhe destination RTO, and that your drive is to get this very purpose done.

You should be fine. All the best!
Old 25th November 2021, 12:00   #99
BHPian

Thank you for your wishes! I did get my temporary registration today and was surprised to note that its validity is for 6 months and not 30 days as I previously believed.

Have marked it in red below
Attached Thumbnails
Driving with temporary registration?-screenshot_20211125111145_whatsapp.jpg  

Manuuj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 12:04   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Thank you for your wishes! I did get my temporary registration today and was surprised to note that its validity is for 6 months and not 30 days as I previously believed.

Have marked it in red below
While temp registration will be valid for 6 months, RTOs can charge you 'late fees' for registering it beyond 30 days. That could be the real reason.

I remember the dealership saying that temp reg is valid for more than 30 days, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Enjoy your trip!
DDiSLover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 12:13   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
While temp registration will be valid for 6 months, RTOs can charge you 'late fees' for registering it beyond 30 days. That could be the real reason.

I remember the dealership saying that temp reg is valid for more than 30 days, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Enjoy your trip!
The dealership had already initiated the Permanent Registration process on 19th November itself.

The delay is being caused by the absence of the RTO official incharge of verification.

Once he is back the file will be approved and the Permanent registration number that i have paid for alloted to me.

Then the dealership will be given a code to have the RC and HSRP downloaded and printed up. This process should ideally not take more than a week more.

Thanks again for your good wishes..
Manuuj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 20:45   #102

Quote:
Congratulations on your beast, wishing you years of miles and smiles!!

Yes, it is perfectly legal to drive anywhere in India on temporary plates for upto 30 days. I bought my car in kerala, drove it to hyderabad for registration.

To be safe, I would recommend the following:
1. Get your temp number on either yellow plates, or get it in a thick yellow board. Basically don't rely on the paper stickers alone.
2. Ensure you have all paperwork. Temp registration form should call out the RTO where you intend to do registration.
3. If you have receipts for road tax (from the destination RTO), then that would be perfect. I didnt have this as I couldn't pay TS road tax online.
4. To be safe, print a self declaration letter stating your intent to register the car in yhe destination RTO, and that your drive is to get this very purpose done.

You should be fine. All the best!
I have two doubts if you could guide me it would be really helpful. I am planning to buy a car from Bangalore & register it in Kerala. I plan to drive the car with temporary registration & get the registration done in Kerala. My concerns are as follows:

1. How do I get the HSRP? I have heard that it is mandatory for the dealer to get the registration done before delivery. But since I would be taking the delivery with temporary registration, where can I get the HSRP?

2. I might be able to get some discounts on the ex-showroom price. Would the dealer mention the actual price or the discounted price on the invoice? I heard there might be a penalty from the RTO in Kerala if the dealer mentions the discounted price as the road tax needs to be paid to the actual price and not the discounted price.

I am trying to purchase a car from another state for the first time and hence I am a bit nervous.

Also, I got approved as a team-bhp member today and this is the first time I am posting. Please excuse me if there are any mistakes.
ronald.who is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 09:46   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald.who View Post
I have two doubts if you could guide me it would be really helpful....
Welcome to TBhp!

It should be fairly straight forward since both states are on parivahan.

1. HSRP are mandatory post registration, not before delivery. You can ask the dealer to complete registration and fix the plates before delivery, or you can take delivery with temp plates, appear for registration yourself and then get the plates. In your case, connect with the dealer in your home town. They can get the plates an a fix it for you.

2. I'm not fully sure, but I believe that tax will be on the invoice value. Worst case, KL RTO will ask for tax on the ex showroom price. But that delta shouldn't be too much. 21% of the discounts on ex-showroom.

All the best! Keep us posted
Old 31st January 2022, 17:29   #104

Quote:
Welcome to TBhp!

It should be fairly straight forward since both states are on parivahan.

1. HSRP are mandatory post registration, not before delivery. You can ask the dealer to complete registration and fix the plates before delivery, or you can take delivery with temp plates, appear for registration yourself and then get the plates. In your case, connect with the dealer in your home town. They can get the plates an a fix it for you.

2. I'm not fully sure, but I believe that tax will be on the invoice value. Worst case, KL RTO will ask for tax on the ex showroom price. But that delta shouldn't be too much. 21% of the discounts on ex-showroom.

All the best! Keep us posted

Thank you so much! I am really happy to be part of Tbhp family.

One more quick question - there won't be any issue regarding the temporary permit, right? I was having a discussion with the bank regarding my loan when they showed concerns about a temporary permit. As per the person from the bank, he said that he heard that a temporary permit is not being issued now.

Did anyone recently take delivery of the vehicle and took a temporary permit to travel & register the vehicle in another state? The concern from the bank is whether I will have to pay road tax in both Karnataka and Kerala. If anyone could shed some light it would be great.

The bank person has asked time till tomorrow noon to revert and they have asked me not to pay the booking amount till then.
Old 31st January 2022, 21:20   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald.who View Post
Thank you so much! I am really happy to be part of Tbhp family.

The bank person has asked time till tomorrow noon to revert and they have asked me not to pay the booking amount till then.
No, there is no such thing. I bought a car in Jan 2021 and in December 2021. In both cases, I got the car with temporary registration, post which I got the car registered.

You will not have to pay road tax in both states. You have 30 days to pay road tax in the destination state and register the car.

Also, you don't get a temp permit. You get temporary registration

Make sure the dealer enters the destination RTO correctly during temporary registration, this is important. You will not be able to register at any other RTO other than what you declare during temporary registration.

Lemme know if you have more questions.

Also, get in touch with your dealer's RTO agents at both the KA and in KL. They can help clarify to your bank guy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks