Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 12:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Questions on temporary registration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I have questions regarding temporary registration in Karnataka:

1. Can the dealer get a temporary registration in the owner's name without owner's signature (in Karnataka)?

2. Can the owner refuse the vehicle and get a complete refund after temporary registration is done (technically road tax is not paid)?

3. How is it that the dealers have a pool of temporary registrations with them and are able to assign the TR to any vehicle that is being delivered?

Thanks.
I do not know what's the procedure there, i am posting about how it's done here in North India.

The Dealerships are allotted a series of numbers by RTO in advance, which assign the temp numbers to the vehicles they sell. The Temp Registration is valid for one month after they expire. All of the allotment is done at the dealership so they have powers to reallot the same no. to another car if a customer refuses to take delivery, it all depends of negotiation skills and pressure.
Old 6th April 2011, 03:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: driving with temporary registration ?

hello,

With respect to the norms in Andhra Pradesh:

1.the T/R is valid for a period of one month, which is being implemented quite seriously now. previously the T/R could have been used for a period of six months to one year by paying a certain amount of fine.

2.A vehicle on T/R cannot be taken outside the state.

3.A rta doesn't give any kind of letter as the T/R certificate itself is enough. (within the state)

As with respect to Karnataka (from my previous experience a couple of years back, no clue if the rule has changed now) the car has to be on permanent registration from the moment it leaves the showroom, we had to preselect the number we wanted from the rta and block it.

1.The T/R cannot be issued without the needed documents and signatures of the owner. till then the car runs on a T/C.

2.once the car is on the T/R it cannot be refused as it has been registered on your name.

(this is wrt to the rules applicable in AP.)

3. The dealers are given a series for a particular period and could assign at their discretion. this has now changed in AP as the concerned rta directly issues the T/R number online now and cannot be preselected and can be from any series.

Last edited by aadix : 6th April 2011 at 03:54.
Old 6th April 2011, 08:13   #18
BHPian

you can drive anywhere with a temp registration (provided you have a valid insurance,tax paid chellans and temp registration papers)

This is exactly what I did in my case. Bought a city Gxi from bangalore (for my dad), did temp registration in bangalore and took to kerala for permananent registration ( as he is living in Kerala). There were no issues in any of the checkposts. Ideally, I didn't had to go to checkpost but for avoiding any complications, I went to the sales tax checkpost in walayar, got an entry permit from there (no fees to be paid for this).

But the RTO in Kerala didnt even ask for any papers, but was surprised with the fact that temp registration was done for 1 month. In Kerala, it is given for 7 days.

Last edited by joecherian : 6th April 2011 at 08:18.
Old 6th April 2011, 10:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
...EDIT : Replying to Abhilash's post below
In hyderabad, the permanent registration happens only after a month !!
This is not correct. T/R is valid only for one month during which time one has to apply for a permanent registration. The RC may take 2-3 weeks to arrive. During such time, one can drive the car as long as one is carrying the receipt from the RTO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
...2.A vehicle on T/R cannot be taken outside the state...
This is also not correct. A T/R vehicle can be taken anywhere in the country as long as the T/R is valid. I got this information first hand from the Deputy Commissioner, RTA, Hyderabad.
PS: The above is true as on September 2009. It probably makes sense to enquire at your local RTA offices for the latest updates.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:57   #20
BHPian

In Kerala Temp registration is valid only for 7 days before that the car should be permanently registered.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:47   #21
BHPian

I live in Pune, Maharashtra & have bought the new swift ZDI 2 weeks back and is still in T/R. I am planning to go to Belgaum, Karnataka this week.

Please let me know if I will face any issues with the COPS/check posts/toll booths on the way and what are the basic documents needed to have a hassle free trip.

Thank You!
Old 14th September 2011, 12:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
I live in Pune, Maharashtra & have bought the new swift ZDI 2 weeks back and is still in T/R. I am planning to go to Belgaum, Karnataka this week.

Please let me know if I will face any issues with the COPS/check posts/toll booths on the way and what are the basic documents needed to have a hassle free trip.

Thank You!
Racer_X. You get your Vehicle's Permanent Regn. No, in less than two weeks in Pune. Pls check with your dealer. I got it on the very next day.
Every dealer is alloted a day in a week by RTA, to get all the vehicles sold by him, registered.
Came to know, if the dealer has good contacts, he doesn't even take the vehicle physically to the RTA for getting it registered.

May be your Dealer is loaded, or he is sleeping on it. Please be after him.
Mention about your Out door trip. If he says ' no issues' ask him to give a letter that he has applied for registrtion and the vehicle is free to move across the country.
But, Pls carry the receipt of registration fee always with you which mentions your name, Chassis and Engine no along with the amount paid.
Also, include the Insurance papers too. Not to worry about the PUC as a new car does not require PUC for the first 6 months in MH State.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 13:52   #23
BHPian

I heard that we need to pay Octroi if the car does not have permanent registeration no. Please confirm.
Thanks!
Old 15th September 2011, 12:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
I heard that we need to pay Octroi if the car does not have permanent registeration no. Please confirm.
Thanks!
Octroi is already paid by the Dealer for getting the car in to the city limits.
You can ask him the receipt of the same. Its paid only once.
Seeing the vehicle without no. plate, you might be stopped for the same.
Hence, as mentioned earlier, get a letter from the dealer mentioning all these details while leaving out of the state.
Just to save your time.
Old 20th July 2012, 08:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

What if I purchased my car with temporary registration, simply drove to my home and had it parked for say six months and then tried to do a permanent registration, what would be the consequences?
Old 20th July 2012, 09:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
What if I purchased my car with temporary registration, simply drove to my home and had it parked for say six months and then tried to do a permanent registration, what would be the consequences?
The Temporary registration certificate has a validity date on it. If you present the vehicle for permanent registration after this date, you would have to pay penalty (plus grease some palms).

In Kerala, the validity of Temporary registration is 15 days (for Private vehicles) and 2 months for Heavy Commercial Vehicles (period provided for building the body).
Old 20th July 2012, 09:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

I also have one more question: Should we give the DD to the dealer on the date of the delivery (after the personal PDI), or its safe to pay them once the car reaches the stock yard, prior to registration?
Old 20th July 2012, 10:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

In Kolkata the dealers generally refuse to deliver the car without permanent registration. The cops could fine you heavily for it. The good thing is that the registration gets done in 3-4 days so you don't need to wait long for it.

In Mumbai I was once caught for riding my new bike with temporary registration. I was told then that supposedly the maximum you can travel with a temporary number is for 300 kms. Not sure if that is true.
Old 30th August 2012, 23:50   #29
BHPian

What about Dealer registration. The dealer releases the vehicle on this and I was told that this is valid for 6 days. Within this time period one needs to get the temporary registration done.
I have bought a Safari from Delhi 2 days back now I want to go to Chandigarh and possibly Dharamshala this weekend, Any idea if I can drive through 3 states on a dealer registration especially Chandigarh. The cops there are a real pain.
Old 31st August 2012, 07:30   #30
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
What about Dealer registration. The dealer releases the vehicle on this and I was told that this is valid for 6 days.
You need to the get the TR number. The TC number is valid only for transit by the Dealer. Hence if you crash the car with a TC number, you will not be able to claim insurance as the vehicle will not be in your name. TR is valid only for one month. You will surely have problems with the cops for driving with a TC number.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks