Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2007, 13:58   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I think maruti should now reduce the price of existing gypsy and offer it with a diesel option this will turn it into decent seller.
i m second on that.mul is listening or not.
Old 6th October 2007, 21:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick View Post
i m second on that.mul is listening or not.
by the way, its not MUL. now MSIL . Maruti Suzuki India Ltd.
Old 6th October 2007, 21:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

The current gypsy doesn't have the creature comforts which won't make it feasible for diesel -launch.

Maybe the latest Jimny will make up for that.
Old 6th October 2007, 22:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The current gypsy doesn't have the creature comforts which won't make it feasible for diesel -launch.

Maybe the latest Jimny will make up for that.
Some people like me like the gypsy the way it is.
Old 6th October 2007, 22:21   #20
BHPian

I feel the Gypsy is sort of fagged out now. Probably 4 years back if they would have spruced up the car, given it the interiors and suspension required, it sure would have been a good idea. But now, i think its a bit late...
Old 7th October 2007, 09:12   #21
BHPian

I think its high time maruti gave us a Gypsy replacement.

Old gypsy is too crude, besides the engine, to pass off as a passenger vehicle.
Old 7th October 2007, 20:23   #22
BHPian

I hope the get a new variant for the Gypsy, it was always a good looker. Its worth haveing a more refined Gypsy any day.
Old 7th October 2007, 23:34   #23
BHPian

In fact there is really a yawning gap in the Indian auto market. You can only get a decent SUV(and I mean a nice personal car), starting 7 odd lacs. Why dosnt somebody sell something cheaper?
In fact I feel Mahindra sould revamp the interiors of the Bolero and probably with a few add ons on the exterior, I think there would be a market for a product like this, because it's not like people on a lower budget don't want to buy an SUV!! They need to change the image of the product and create the need as they did with the Scorpio.
Old 8th October 2007, 00:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
We usually hear and refer to it as 'Jimmy', but as per Suzuki global site JIMNY HardTop/CanvasTop its given as Jimny.
Nope! it was always the JIMNY!!
Old 8th October 2007, 12:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
We usually hear and refer to it as 'Jimmy', but as per Suzuki global site JIMNY HardTop/CanvasTop its given as Jimny.
Just checked the specs at the link.
Front suspension is non-independent, just like in Gypsy. Only the leafs are replaced by coils. So expect a harsh ride.
Old 8th October 2007, 21:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI
Only the leafs are replaced by coils. So expect a harsh ride.
Doesn't the change from leafsprings to coil springs change ride for the better??
Old 8th October 2007, 23:20   #27
BHPian

Well having a rigid suspension does not necessarily translate to bad ride quality...and in fact its not a hard and fast rule that having leaf springs will simply give you a bad ride. Though of course i agree, in this case hopefully ride would have improved if they have chnaged to coils.
Old 9th October 2007, 12:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Doesn't the change from leafsprings to coil springs change ride for the better??
It does but only a little. What better example than Scorpio. Mahindra went all the way to Lotus to change the rear suspension set up but the desired results could not be obtained.
Old 9th October 2007, 12:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
Well having a rigid suspension does not necessarily translate to bad ride quality...
True, there are other variables like wheel size, wheelbase, tyre profile, chassis design and rigidity, etc. However, suspension design remains the key variable.

Do you think Gypsy would have had such a harsh ride quality if it had independent front suspension?

Why was Sumo so successful when it was launched? Because, it was the first jeep-type vehicle to offer the ride comfort of a car, thanks to independent front suspension.

Rigid suspension at the front is unacceptable in this age and auto makers realise this well - very few vehicles feature it these days.
Old 9th October 2007, 15:00   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
It does but only a little. What better example than Scorpio. Mahindra went all the way to Lotus to change the rear suspension set up but the desired results could not be obtained.
Mahindra was not willing to make extensive changes to scorpio that would have resulted into huge investments when they might be doing R&D for new scorpio so they went to lotus to get the suspension fine tuned,and for the changes done desired results were obtained,scorpio rides better than before but its not the benchmark for the segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
True, there are other variables like wheel size, wheelbase, tyre profile, chassis design and rigidity, etc. However, suspension design remains the key variable.

Do you think Gypsy would have had such a harsh ride quality if it had independent front suspension?

Why was Sumo so successful when it was launched? Because, it was the first jeep-type vehicle to offer the ride comfort of a car, thanks to independent front suspension.

Rigid suspension at the front is unacceptable in this age and auto makers realise this well - very few vehicles feature it these days.
Gypsy is a low cost offroader and has good handling for its height that due to the stiff suspension.The leaf suspension has been retained keeping in mind its application and the customer base that is either armed forces or customers for offroad application.

The sales of gypsy are very low and the product is at end of its lifecycle so maruti is ignoring the gypsy.

When sumo was launched the only competition it had was mahindra jeeps that too commanders,and sumo was launched to tap people carrier market that was never gypsy's playground.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks