Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2007, 17:35   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
We usually hear and refer to it as 'Jimmy', but as per Suzuki global site JIMNY HardTop/CanvasTop its given as Jimny.
There was no Jimmy from Suzuki; it has always been JIMNY.
We mistake it as a JIMMY because we are more familiar with it.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:06   #32
DKG
Senior - BHPian

New 4x4 from Suzuki????

A friend from Bombay mentioned this weekend that before the end of the year Maruti Suzuki may offer a replacement of the Gypsy. I believe this news came from someone he knows at Maruti. Sounds interesting. It would have to be the Jimny which has the options abroad of petrols 1.3 litre/1.3 litre VVT and a 1.5 DDiS diesel unit. Wheelbase is 2250 mm

I hope the news is accurate as that would certainly be India's first modern affordable offroader. And the little Suzukis are most certainly gems offroad!!

Last edited by DKG : 5th August 2008 at 12:17.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
A friend from Bombay mentioned this weekend that before the end of the year Maruti Suzuki may offer a replacement of the Gypsy. I believe this news came from someone he knows at Maruti. Sounds interesting. It would have to be the Jimny which has the options abroad of petrols 1.3 litre/1.3 litre VVT and a 1.5 DDiS diesel unit. Wheelbase is 2250 mm

I hope the news is accurate as that would certainly be India's first modern affordable offroader. And the little Suzukis are most certainly gems offroad!!
That is a Good news DKG! Yeah Jimmys are BIG performers in small package!!! i Drove it once in Middle East. And as you know diesel conversion of gypsys were always a problem. Hope to see an affordable modern off-roader as you told

Sreeraj
Old 5th August 2008, 12:23   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

DKG, that would be great. A length of under 4m would also give excise benefits.

Good news.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:32   #35
Team-BHP Support

I just hope they will get the 1.5L DDiS and localise it. That way we might have modern 4x4 for a price less than Gurkha.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:37   #36
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I just hope they will get the 1.5L DDiS and localise it. That way we might have modern 4x4 for a price less than Gurkha.
Very true. And since the 1.3 multijet appears on the Swift and the Dzire this 1.5 could come in on the SX4 and the Jimny. That would be a killer engine!

There's interesting info on the GLOBAL SUZUKI website. They have an SUV called the XL7 but since the GV is there it makes no sense to bring the larger vehicle now. The Jimny definitely makes sense and would have huge potential as a trendy fashion accessory too. I can see it finding favour amongst the college crowd and young families with an outdoor lifestyle preference. We ofcourse would want it for its offroad prowess

Last edited by DKG : 5th August 2008 at 12:42.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

I read in a car mag recently that a 4-door Jimny based vehicle is on the cards in a couple years for India.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:51   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I read in a car mag recently that a 4-door Jimny based vehicle is on the cards in a couple years for India.
Considering the Dzire seems to be an Indian concoction what you say might again be an Indian creation. I just hope they first launch the SWB Jimny before year end and eventually bring out the 4dr version later
Old 5th August 2008, 12:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

That would indeed be interesting. But this rumor has been circulating for about 4 years now that I know of.
Old 5th August 2008, 13:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
this 1.5 could come in on the SX4 and the Jimny. That would be a killer engine!...

This killer engine is the diesel engine used in Logan (K9K) but in a different tune. SX4 internationally comes with 1.6D from ford and 1.9D from FIAT. But even 1.5 would be good in India.

MODS: i'm not sure if this is irrelevant to the topic. If so, please delete my post once again.
Old 5th August 2008, 13:08   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
That would indeed be interesting. But this rumor has been circulating for about 4 years now that I know of.
That's very true. In fact my first gut feeling reaction to this news was to ask DKG to post this in the 'official joke thread'

At the same time, things change so you never know that Suzuki could be giving this a serious thought considering that they are majority shareholders in MUL.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Why would it have to be the Jimny which would be a new car altogether? Why cant it be the SX4 (the original hatch from which our sedan evolved) which features AWD? Would sell more than any 15 lakh SUV and can be priced under 10, too.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:53   #43
Team-BHP Support

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...psy-jimmy.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...el-santro.html
Old 5th August 2008, 15:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Why would it have to be the Jimny which would be a new car altogether? Why cant it be the SX4 (the original hatch from which our sedan evolved) which features AWD? Would sell more than any 15 lakh SUV and can be priced under 10, too.
Yes, this was my first thought too. I think Suzuki should launch this hatch version of SX4, which looks far better than the sedan version.
Old 5th August 2008, 15:08   #45
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Anyone with friends at Maruti can clarify if there's any merit to the news and whether its the Jimny they would launch. Maruti in principle does have a grand plan to launch cars.

Swift, Estillo, SX4, Grand Vitara, Dzire, and not to mention the Duo variants on Wagon R and now the 800. From their kitty of cars what's left is the SX4 hatch, the Splash, the APV, the XL7 and the Jimny. Since I was talking about the Gypsy my friend was told to hold on till the new car is launched. We are merely assuming its the Jimny.

Suzuki may first launch the Splash before they launch the SX4 hatch

Last edited by DKG : 5th August 2008 at 15:09.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed