Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2007, 09:33   #1
Team-BHP Support

SCOOP !! Ford's new small car for India (with Spy Pics). Update launched now Figo!

Note from Mod : GTO's Ford Figo test-drive and review has been uploaded at this link. This thread is closed.

Had to accompany my wife to Chennai as part of some official work, and during the time she was busy with her work, i decided to catch up with fellow TBHPian John (Esteem_Lover). After a round of tea, was heading out to his office when we spotted a blue car which looked kinda familiar, but not really so. A quick thrust from the Esteem and we were able to catch up with the car in question. The badging was masked, but there
was no doubt at all regarding the lineage it hailed from. Soon two other cars caught up with it, and it was now clear that we had a Scoop on our hands.

I took upon the task of clicking the pics with my mobile while John was making his way through the traffic to ensure better angles for the pics.

Here they are, a TBHP Exclusive !!

My observations:
Since i remember reading about Ford's small car plans for India, this had to be the missing piece in the jigsaw puzzle. I believe it is based on the ikon platform, although my eye informed me that the badging through the masking read as 'Fiesta'.

From the rear, one could be forgiven for mistaking it to be a Fusion, the dimensions and width however are smaller. The dashboard ,wheelcaps and air-con vents looked similar to those on the Fusion/Fiesta.

John felt the car looked better than the Swift, although that is more of a personal thing. What was obvious was that Ford was playing it safe with the styling as they usually do.

My predictions :
I feel this car would sell, and be a good alternative in the segment, which should be the B+ category. What i wouldnt like is the added load this would put on the dealers and service centers who have their hands full with the large number of Ikons as well as Fiestas on the roads.

Last edited by GTO : 25th January 2010 at 10:41. Reason: Adding link to the Figo review
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2007, 09:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

the ford fiesta is sold as a hatchback abroad so it must have read fiesta.
Old 16th November 2007, 09:45   #3
BHPian

Yes, should be Ford Fiesta hatch back. I have seen a lot of Fiesta and Opel hatch backs in France early 20s and they were the cheapest cars around , approx 50K to 52K Francs. Renault Clio and Peugeot's 306 were around 80K mark, Golf and Polo around 110K to 130K mark.
Great scoop Benny, The hatch back should do well in India
Old 16th November 2007, 09:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice scoop, Its resembles to fusion and fiesta I guess, Looks good in hatchback segment

Well find!

Ravi.
Old 16th November 2007, 09:53   #5
BHPian

What a scoop...Looks like small fusion but very catcy and seems it would be a head turner....This is one of the best hatch among Swift, Getz, UVA etc.
Old 16th November 2007, 09:58   #6
BHPian

Good one man! That is a cut short fiesta. So they might sell it as a Fiesta hatch with 1.2L petrol and probably a 1.3L diesel if they have it. Must be priced above the swift (obviously the fiesta hatch will be bigger in size).

The autocars of India didnt manage to find such a scoop. Good work!

But god save the Ford buyers in India as with the current volumes the service they dish out is simply awful.
Old 16th November 2007, 09:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

great scoop - looks very impressive too...solid european looks...hope the pricing is good and this could be my next car !!
Old 16th November 2007, 10:00   #8
BHPian

Hey , that's a wonderful set of pictures. They have been testing in Nungambakkam!! in the middle of the whole city that too around what appears to be morning time rush hour traffic? What were they doing? Showing off?
Did they give you hard time to snap pics?(looks like they did not fight you at all or were they sitting ducks?
The car does not evoke any sort of emotion in me (thats me). Much like Fiesta did not when the images first appeared. I guess the car will grow on you.

Nice scoop folks.
Old 16th November 2007, 10:01   #9
BHPian

Yes it is a fiesta hatch....

Please have a look at the ford uae site

Ford Middle East - Fiesta
Old 16th November 2007, 10:05   #10
Team-BHP Support

This is the original fiesta. Not a bad car, I did some track driving in this car in the UK and it was good

Only thing is that a new version is on the way so why should we get a hand me down
Old 16th November 2007, 10:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Benny
Nice catch.!
For a sec i thought it may be the new version of Fusion but its the Fiesta hatchback..
Old 16th November 2007, 10:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great catch Benny. From the rear it looks very much like the Fusion. I like the front end of this car though. I guess it will be positioned in the Swift segment. Ford do not have a car in that bracket right now. A 5 lakh price tag with a diesel option should work well IMO.
Old 16th November 2007, 10:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great photos Benny. And this should be a welcome addition to the existing portfolio of hatchbacks in India.
Old 16th November 2007, 10:23   #14

Now we have more choice in B+ category. Its very cute at rear end.
Old 16th November 2007, 10:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Only thing is that a new version is on the way so why should we get a hand me down
Sigh! Some things never change !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks