Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 10:59   #1
Team-BHP Support

Shell increases fuel prices by Rs.0.80. EDIT : Now by Rs.2

I Went to fill fuel today morning and was surprised to see that shell had increased fuel prices by 80paise.

This is only for shell. At first I thought it was a fuel hike by all companies. It seems that they have increased prices under the pretext that they offer better quality of service and have a better quality and quantity assurance for the fuel.

The manager there tried to convince me that the fuel hike was done as shell fuel quality was better than any other brands and the service they offer to the customer is also higher.

They have now installed wireless credit card machines for every pump and have increased the number of air pumps from 2 to 4.

So guys what do you think? Will you still go to shell?
Old 26th November 2007, 11:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yep, got to know this in my last refill, the attendent told me upfront about the revised price.

I thought they hiked the price due to rising crude oil price globally, realized now after Vid's post that it is for the Shell quality & service.

I don't mind paying 80p extra for the quality stuff.
Old 26th November 2007, 11:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Reliance has been higher than PSU prices (~Rs 2.50 more) for a long time now, lost most of their patrons, but they plod on
Old 26th November 2007, 11:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes - I will still go to Shell. The Rs. 0.80 x 37 liters = Rs 30 is virtual nothingness for pure petrol.
Old 26th November 2007, 11:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

What, you drive a 6lakh car, and are fretting over a 2% increase in fuel when global crude prices have topped 100$? PSUs sell oil at mandated prices - but other companies can't maintain those levels of losses, so its better not to sell than book a loss with every liter?
Old 26th November 2007, 11:27   #6
BHPian

If Good/assured Quality comes for a price, so be it.
Old 26th November 2007, 11:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have read some news article that pvt oil cos will increase the oil prices and they have rightly done so. But it is unfair when all the psus are charging less.
Old 26th November 2007, 12:02   #8
BHPian

Even I will go for Shell.
With the Shell normal petrol i'm getting at least a km more per liter . So i dont mind paying extra.As some one has pointed out relaince has done it long back.
Old 26th November 2007, 12:21   #9
BHPian

Yep... True, I also realized that Shell charges Rs 0.80 more than other PSU brands. Shockingly, no attendant at Shell pumps told me. I realized this when I drove past other brand Petrol stations displaying lower prices for their regular unleaded Petrol.

True... Shell offers better service at their pumps.

But, I feel, Quality of fuel used is probably the same as served by any other companies. I am yet to see a quantitative measure of quality of fuel (like fuel purity levels, correct octane number, mileage achieved between brands, quantity accuracy amongst brands etc.). Until we see a detailed comparison report on such metrics, I take it as a premium we pay for the services at the pumps.
Old 26th November 2007, 12:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

YEs it has been around last 10 days, it happened exactly a day before my last refill...but I donot complain, I dont want to compromise on the quality as well as quantity of the fuel just for 80p...

Abhi
Old 26th November 2007, 12:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

I go to Shell for the service they provide..

not seen any great difference in the FE or power so.. no comments on the quality
Old 26th November 2007, 13:20   #12

Sure. I will stick with Shell. They are good, well-mannered, professional and above all, they give good quality petrol and service. 0.80 per litre, I can always take it in my stride.
Old 26th November 2007, 13:59   #13
BHPian

For sure I shall go to shell. I have filled from shell pumps in Chennai, Bangalore, Madurai. Everywhere the fuel quality is same. This is unlike Indian OIl, BP where you cant trust the quality (particularly outside the metros). Their employees are well trained and they do a good service. They even employ handicapped people there. I definitely appreciate them and wont mind the small increase in price.

What they can do better is maintain stock of all the fuels through out the year. Sometimes they don't have shell super, diesel etc etc.
Old 26th November 2007, 14:04   #14
BHPian

not sure....i filled in yday@Shel OMR. 50.48/- was the price i paid. Dont know abt PSU's bunks. is it 49.68 there?

Neverthless, its still worth it.
Old 26th November 2007, 14:59   #15
Team-BHP Support

Regarding the price increase, like the others mentioned, i wouldnt mind the price hike for quality and service. However this goes to show that they know people will still keep coming back to them, and chances of hikes even in the future cannot be ruled out. When it crosses a particular limit, i would look/try elsewhere.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed